Virtuality - what's with the hate?

Earthshine_sf

Let's put this in perspective. Here we are complaining about Virtuality and I hear this on the radio this morning...

"I'm hot sticky sweet from my head to my feet."

If people think some of Neils lyrics are goofy, they'll probably stab their eardrums out when they hear all the crap that's on radio :codger:

• Like 1

Let's put this in perspective. Here we are complaining about Virtuality and I hear this on the radio this morning...

If people think some of Neils lyrics are goofy, they'll probably stab their eardrums out when they hear all the crap that's on radio :codger:

the point is very well taken... but that still doesn't make the song good because the lyrics don't suck as bad as so many other songs by other people.

This is one of those period specific songs that wasnt that corny at the time, since the internet was in its infancy, but now so many years later, hearing them talk about putting messages in modems, cyber sea, net boy net girl, it hasnt aged well lyrically.

Its no different than all their silly fantasy lord of the rings lyrics back in the day. That stuff wasnt all that unusual in the 70s, but you hear it now and it sounds like a bunch of kids writing songs with really goofy nerd lyrics. You know none of them can think Rivendell is a good song now. Ill bet they cringe when they listen to that.

I dont mind the music in Virtuality, kind of reflective of rock at the time in the mid 90s. It has a semi-heavy edge which was kind of nice coming out of their light rock phase in the late 80s/early 90s.

Yeah but that song wasnt meant to be serious. Its just a brainless fun song, like 90% of Van Halen's catalog. Virtuality is serious, which is what makes it kinda corny now.

To me, thats far cornier than when in I think Im Going Bald, they says, "Dressed in flowing hair... go WILD!!!" Because that song is meant to be fun and silly so its ok to have corny lyrics, like Def Leppard. Virtuality isnt trying to be corny, but just is because of how specific it is to a certain period of time.

I think if they kept it much more abstract, didnt use words like modem, or buzz terms like cyber sea, it could have been much better. Neil used to write very cryptically but started getting too direct with his messages in the 90s.

• Like 1

This is one of those period specific songs that wasnt that corny at the time, since the internet was in its infancy, but now so many years later, hearing them talk about putting messages in modems, cyber sea, net boy net girl, it hasnt aged well lyrically.

Its no different than all their silly fantasy lord of the rings lyrics back in the day. That stuff wasnt all that unusual in the 70s, but you hear it now and it sounds like a bunch of kids writing songs with really goofy nerd lyrics. You know none of them can think Rivendell is a good song now. Ill bet they cringe when they listen to that.

I dont mind the music in Virtuality, kind of reflective of rock at the time in the mid 90s. It has a semi-heavy edge which was kind of nice coming out of their light rock phase in the late 80s/early 90s.

I understand the sentiment and largely agree, but "net boy" was uncomfortable even at the time of release. Still, I think the message is more relevant now than when it came out.

the point is very well taken... but that still doesn't make the song good because the lyrics don't suck as bad as so many other songs by other people.

I agree on that. But if I listen to one or two modern pop songs on the radio, I'm amazed at how well I can put up with Neil's goofy lyrics after that ;)

Musically good, lyrically bad.

Yeah. I'd say this sums up a lot of Test for Echo songs.

Tough talking hood boys!*

*in borrowed ties and jackets

Man, I forgot about that one. That one is pretty corny, actually I think its even worse than net boy net girl because its actually attacking people very different than Neil. Or at least making fun of them, and the borrowed ties and jackets line is a little ignorant too. Anyway...

Lyrically and musically, this is one of my favorites. Other than Resist, best song on Test For Echo.

For me that goes to Time and Motion, for the odd 5/8 time signature and just the overall strange sound of the song, which used to be the norm for them, but became extremely rare as they got older.

• Like 2

Lyrically and musically, this is one of my favorites. Other than Resist, best song on Test For Echo.

For me that goes to Time and Motion, for the odd 5/8 time signature and just the overall strange sound of the song, which used to be the norm for them, but became extremely rare as they got older.

Time and Motion is pretty god awful musically. It has incredible lyrics, but the music and the melody is not to my taste.

Time and Motion is pretty god awful musically. It has incredible lyrics, but the music and the melody is not to my taste.

See thats what I like about it. That its so different from so many of their 90s songs that just sound so.... average and normal. That song is much closer to what I used to love about Rush, their originality that they got so far away from and has rarely been seen since the early 80s.

• Like 1

"Time and Motion" and "Driven" remain my faves from T4E, for the reasons you mention here., and "Double Agent" from the previous album for the same reasons.

"Time and Motion" and "Driven" remain my faves from T4E, for the reasons you mention here., and "Double Agent" from the previous album for the same reasons.

Same here. I love the oddball time signatures. It's part of what makes their music stand out as different. Some if the appeal to me may be because I'm a musician, and that kind of thing is always challenging to learn and play.

I was listening to this two days ago and Good Lord the lyrics are sooooo cheesy but I LOVE the music.

If the lyrics in a song are really bad, like they are here, I just can't get past them to even notice the music. And if I do, it almost makes it worse.

It's like having a delicious hamburger that's smothered in velveeta cheese. I can tell that the hamburger is yummy underneath, but all I really taste is gooey, disgusting processed cheese and the hamburger is completely wasted.

Maybe if I could scrape off the cheese the hamburger could be saved, but you can't exactly make Virtuality an instrumental. ;)

I'm the exact opposite- I go straight for the music and most of the time don't pay as much attention to the lyrics. I can't help it, I listen to songs in "layers"- drums, guitars, bass, keyboards, etc. all separate :)

Lyrics are just words, IMO at least lol. my husband is always like "HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW WHAT THE SONG'S ABOUT?? WE HEAR IT ALL THE TIME!!" lol

I was listening to this two days ago and Good Lord the lyrics are sooooo cheesy but I LOVE the music.

If the lyrics in a song are really bad, like they are here, I just can't get past them to even notice the music. And if I do, it almost makes it worse.

It's like having a delicious hamburger that's smothered in velveeta cheese. I can tell that the hamburger is yummy underneath, but all I really taste is gooey, disgusting processed cheese and the hamburger is completely wasted.

Maybe if I could scrape off the cheese the hamburger could be saved, but you can't exactly make Virtuality an instrumental. ;)

I'm the exact opposite- I go straight for the music and most of the time don't pay as much attention to the lyrics. I can't help it, I listen to songs in "layers"- drums, guitars, bass, keyboards, etc. all separate :)

Lyrics are just words, IMO at least lol. my husband is always like "HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW WHAT THE SONG'S ABOUT?? WE HEAR IT ALL THE TIME!!" lol

the funny thing is my wife is super picky and sensitive to lyrics. i've sometimes played a song for her, and will say isn't that great? she'll say oh my god no, that was horrible, the lyrics were about this and this and this, and she'll dissect them and not be able to enjoy the song if she thinks the lyrics are negative somehow. in those instances whatever those lyrics were didn't bother me enough to get in the way. i'm particularly hypersensitive to rush lyrics, however, because generally they're so cool and/or meaningful that when they don't meet up to a certain standard, it's hard to ignore. for example, good news first on S&A - the music is cool, it's catchy, but the lyrics just don't make sense and it kills the song for me. and if the lyrics are just really lame like in virtuality or other certain songs on CP or RTB, etc., i just can't get past it. the music could be super killer (like in the necromancer), but the lyrics (or in that case the narration) just ruins it for me *cough* roll the bones rap *cough*

• Like 1

the funny thing is my wife is super picky and sensitive to lyrics. i've sometimes played a song for her, and will say isn't that great? she'll say oh my god no, that was horrible, the lyrics were about this and this and this, and she'll dissect them and not be able to enjoy the song if she thinks the lyrics are negative somehow. in those instances whatever those lyrics were didn't bother me enough to get in the way. i'm particularly hypersensitive to rush lyrics, however, because generally they're so cool and/or meaningful that when they don't meet up to a certain standard, it's hard to ignore. for example, good news first on S&A - the music is cool, it's catchy, but the lyrics just don't make sense and it kills the song for me. and if the lyrics are just really lame like in virtuality or other certain songs on CP or RTB, etc., i just can't get past it. the music could be super killer (like in the necromancer), but the lyrics (or in that case the narration) just ruins it for me *cough* roll the bones rap *cough*

LOL! It's a parallax, you dig? ;)

hahaha so I take it "I Think I'm Going Bald" is not high on your list, eh ;)

• Like 1

indeed, it is not. :no:

indeed, it is not. :no:

I'd say that's because you have no sense of humour, but I'm afraid you might not realise that I'm kidding ;)