H. P. L.'s undefeatable thread of ancient, odd and frankly embarassing Italian pop-rock

H. P. L.

For the 100th entry in this exploration by King Crimson by me, I thought I'd have something special, and here it is: the moment PFM was born.

As some of you may know, PFM started as a beat group called "I Quelli", before morphing into the pioneers of Italian Prog. It was at that time that they were asked by Fabrizio De Andrè, probably the greatest cantautore of them all, to be his backing band in a concept album he was making based - wait for it - on the Gospels.

The year was 1970 and the album was called "La Buona Novella" (The Good News), and in the choral arrangements of the last epic, Laudate Hominem, you can hear the complexity of PFM taking form. But remember, all the greatness here is De Andrè.

A few years later, when PFM was big, they made a legendary tour together, in which De Andrè poetry (inspired by Jacques Brel among others) flourished in the rich arrangements written by Mussida & Co. Here's a personal favourite:

Let's stick again with the PFM before they were PFM. As "I Quelli" (literally, "Those guys"), they had a tremendous summer hit with this song, which if I'm not mistaken is a cover of some British song. Lead singer is Teo Teocoli, bound to become a well-known actor and comedian in years to come. Di Cioccio and Mussida are already in their places.

http://youtu.be/pGmgptS3pJU

Let's dabble a little bit more in proggish territory, shall we?

The difference between Rush and Pooh is that the former donned the kimonos in 1977, more or less, while the latter were still sporting them in 1981! Here's the nice cover of their album of that year:

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/3832/cover_5228166112010.jpg

And here's the epic from that album. It's called "Inca" and is pretty deep stuff: the first encounter between Incas and Spanish conquistadores. The Inca king is sure of his immortality so walks up to the Spaniards and says: "Strike me one thousand times with your sword, I won't fall". Reality check. The king goes down. "And the sun, the sun king wouldn't wake".

http://youtu.be/8Z0TcWeB65s

Pooh is good! They sort of remind me of a Progressive Rock ABBA! LOL! I can't believe I have no Pooh!!!

I've been constipated for a two days!

• Like 1

The difference between Rush and Pooh is that the former donned the kimonos in 1977, more or less, while the latter were still sporting them in 1981! Here's the nice cover of their album of that year:

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/3832/cover_5228166112010.jpg

And here's the epic from that album. It's called "Inca" and is pretty deep stuff: the first encounter between Incas and Spanish conquistadores. The Inca king is sure of his immortality so walks up to the Spaniards and says: "Strike me one thousand times with your sword, I won't fall". Reality check. The king goes down. "And the sun, the sun king wouldn't wake".

Pooh is good! They sort of remind me of a Progressive Rock ABBA! LOL! I can't believe I have no Pooh!!!

Allow me to see to that... :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

Here's another fine song by Pooh! It's sorta like their own "Band on the Run", infact is called "Band in the wind" and it's a kind of autobiography.

Allow me to see to that... :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

Here's another fine song by Pooh! It's sorta like their own "Band on the Run", infact is called "Band in the wind" and it's a kind of autobiography.

http://youtu.be/778e4ICv-x4

Hahaha! The Melodic Monkees Of Milan.

I've purpousedly kept "real"prog out of this thread until now, but since, like the song says, "Earl is in the air / Everywhere I look around...", I'm willing to make an exception and post two very interesting prog groups, both from the Sunny South of Italy.

The first is the well-known Balletto di Bronzo, with a very good clip directed by no-other than Italy's most beloved softcore director, Tinto Brass! The song is the spanish version but the lyrics are almost the same. A hot chick walking through gravestones, Hieronimus Bosch, body painting, camouflage, optical effects. This one really has it all!!

http://youtu.be/EtR0CAVvc0U

The second one, in audio only, is from the first and last album by Apoteosi, a band that might have been the Italian Renaissance (that is, we had the REAL Renaissance, but I'm talking about the band...).

http://youtu.be/TMLeyx4hpvM

Edited by H. P. L.

Song titles with 4-letters words. Swearing in song titles. Insulting in song titles.

As I scratch my head, I have a hard time remembering a British or US song with a really bad word in the title or in the chorus. The only things that come to my mind are the Sex Pistols debut and that ominous "F*ck you very very much" pop song that was very popular some years ago.

Of course, english-speaking bands have found many creative ways to go round the swearing tabu, often coming up with very funny and witty "alternatives". But can you say for sure that an english band ever dared record a song titled "Big Son of a B***?". And did that song ever chart?

Well, an Italian band did.

http://youtu.be/kvgGnarx3ko

I remember hearing this song on the radio when I was like 12 and going bat-sh*t crazy: "OMG, he said Son of a B---!!!!" Naive that I was.

Actually, we Italians have a long tradition of insulting songs because, as the whole world knows, when we say 4 words 3 of them are obscenities. Anyway, here are a couple more songs with very clever titles.

http://youtu.be/Yi5rt9tzv6w

"Scemo" is a very mild insult today. Kid's stuff. As is the song, sung by one of Italy's most successful comedians.

Fascinating thread. Like most, I only became aware of an Italian music scene through the mighty PFM, although I do recall a horrific "Pop" song in the 70's making the charts.

Drupi I believe was the culprit. Anyway, the only other band who's material I could get my hands on, was Pooh.

To this day, I bang off regular e-mails to various music magazines asking them to do an indepth piece on the Italian rock scene, but to no avail.

Not when they can still write about the Beatles and Floyd.

Fascinating thread. Like most, I only became aware of an Italian music scene through the mighty PFM, although I do recall a horrific "Pop" song in the 70's making the charts.

Drupi I believe was the culprit. Anyway, the only other band who's material I could get my hands on, was Pooh.

To this day, I bang off regular e-mails to various music magazines asking them to do an indepth piece on the Italian rock scene, but to no avail.

Not when they can still write about the Beatles and Floyd.

Drupi!!! The Italian version of "Indian Chief" from "Someone flew over the cuckoo nest"!!! I'll have to post something from him very soon!!!

Thanks for your answer, keep in mind that this thread of mine is threading the thin ice between rock, pop and utterly ridicoulous, I am in no way able to provide a serious, complete portrait of the Italian scene.

Maybe so, but there's a book in you on the subject of the Italian music scene in general if you ask me.

What's the current scene over there like at the moment?

In a word, shitty.

Well, maybe that's a little bit harsh.

Anyway, it seems hip-hop is the thing now, which is not bad per se, just not my cup of tea.

And of course a lot of people coming out of talent shows, who sell more because of their character than because of their songs.

We have some established metal bands, like the two Rhapsody, and the Old Guard of the Cantautori still puts out an album every now and then.

The underground is alive and well, but it's like Mirkwood from the Hobbit, in the sense that you have to really loose yourself in it. For example, there's a black metal band from Florence called "Hate & Merda" which is incredibly good.

How's in Germany? Has Tom Angelripper released a Christmas album?

Well, like Italy, it's "Hard-core" that is keeping the live scene vibrant in terms of new music. Internationally, only Rammstien register. Everything else is dominated by US/GB bands. Problem in Germany is that once famous, you remain so until you die. Subsequently, bands that by now should be extinct, continue to make a healthy living in Germany. Even their top Punk band from the 70's still gets to headline major festivals.

The Sweet for example, will be featured on prime time TV this weekend before another lengthy German tour. You can eventually see every band in the world ( Though not PFM grrrr) if you have enough patience, but as for new music, very very little of any interest.

Although the hardcore giants all tour, it's at the club level and very much "underground". Prog wise, "Eyevory" are an interesting German band, as are Zhree both of whom I have saw live . Zhree especially, as all their music is improvised on the spot. Both bands can be found on YOUTUBE. Can't post links at the moment.

We also have our Indigenous "Dance" "Rap" and "Soul" acts. Nothing,other than Xavier Naidoo and also Soehne Mannheims, is of any real interest.

It's talentshow fodder and shlager acts that still remain the most popular. Tragic really.

Well, like Italy, it's "Hard-core" that is keeping the live scene vibrant in terms of new music. Internationally, only Rammstien register. Everything else is dominated by US/GB bands. Problem in Germany is that once famous, you remain so until you die. Subsequently, bands that by now should be extinct, continue to make a healthy living in Germany. Even their top Punk band from the 70's still gets to headline major festivals.

The Sweet for example, will be featured on prime time TV this weekend before another lengthy German tour. You can eventually see every band in the world ( Though not PFM grrrr) if you have enough patience, but as for new music, very very little of any interest.

Although the hardcore giants all tour, it's at the club level and very much "underground". Prog wise, "Eyevory" are an interesting German band, as are Zhree both of whom I have saw live . Zhree especially, as all their music is improvised on the spot. Both bands can be found on YOUTUBE. Can't post links at the moment.

We also have our Indigenous "Dance" "Rap" and "Soul" acts. Nothing,other than Xavier Naidoo and also Soehne Mannheims, is of any real interest.

It's talentshow fodder and shlager acts that still remain the most popular. Tragic really.

I don't remember: were Opus german? Or were they Swiss?

The Swiss gave us Yello,Krokus and Patrick Moraz. They currently have a girl singer called Stefanie Heinzman who is really good .

She had a huge hit in Germany with her cover of Metallica's The Unforgiven.

Check that out on YOUTUBE. I think it's great, and apparently, so do the band.

OK, I might as well use the momentum kindly gifted by Herr Foghorn to post something serious.

No, really?

OK, let's discover together another Cantautore. You remember then? 70s, left wing, intellectual, Dylan-obsessed, new themes, MEANINGFUL LYRICS and all? Very good!!

So let's get down to Rome and listen to one of the most beloved singer-songwriters of the last 40 years: Antonello Venditti.

In the pantheon of the Italian Cantautori, Venditti is, if you please, the singer of youth. The fleeting season of life full of promises, hopes and dreams. That said, he's also a very keen performer who covered a lot of english songs in italian, thus gaining a lot of hit singles.

Here's one of my favourites:

http://youtu.be/hUOvdgTibAE

And another one: it starts like the everyday story of a schoolgirl, until at the end it is revealed that she's pregnant...

http://youtu.be/r4WSE-i9GWY

OK, I might as well use the momentum kindly gifted by Herr Foghorn to post something serious.

No, really?

OK, let's discover together another Cantautore. You remember then? 70s, left wing, intellectual, Dylan-obsessed, new themes, MEANINGFUL LYRICS and all? Very good!!

So let's get down to Rome and listen to one of the most beloved singer-songwriters of the last 40 years: Antonello Venditti.

In the pantheon of the Italian Cantautori, Venditti is, if you please, the singer of youth. The fleeting season of life full of promises, hopes and dreams. That said, he's also a very keen performer who covered a lot of english songs in italian, thus gaining a lot of hit singles.

And another one: it starts like the everyday story of a schoolgirl, until at the end it is revealed that she's pregnant...

WOW !!! I would imagine that theme would have attracted a lot of controversy in a place like Italy.

No, really?

WOW !!! I would imagine that theme would have attracted a lot of controversy in a place like Italy.

In a way yes, it was groundbreaking. But also it was a perfect picture of the times (early 70s).

Getting more into details, the songs is told through the POW of the boyfriend, who looks like a slacker student in University while Sara, the girl, is in high school. The most cruel line in the song goes "His love will be enough for you", letting slip the fact that slacker-father is going to dump her once the baby is born.

The funny thing is, you never notice this while singing along to the song. Not so long ago my wife and I were listening to "Sara" on the radio and she went: it never occurred to me what kind of a dirtbag is depicted in this song! And I've been listening to it for more than 30 years!

Christmas is a time of gifts and treats and I'm gonna give you all some treats in the coming weeks.

Let's start with Modesty Blaise herself, the one and only Monica Vitti, singing a very strange and weird song about... sauerkraut!!

It's a song that's been around a long time and almost everyone knows it, it's what you'd call a drunken song or a paesant song, anyway here it goes. She's wonderful!!