Ottawa Set... (SPOILER)

Nate1647

So I was looking at setlist FM last night to try and determine what the Vancouver WA set might be, when I noticed something strange about last nights Ottawa show...

http://www.setlist.f...a-7bd966d8.html

Missing quite a few songs.

At first I thought, well maybe they just haven't edited it yet, but nope! I looked on youtube, and found this

The Garden, straight into Red Sector A, straight into YYZ, and then TSOR.

Is this just due to the nature that it was a festival, and not a full on arena show? If I went and saw that should I would feel severely ripped off...

Edited by Nate1647

This happened at the Sweden Rock Festival...

They are only given a two hour headlining block to play....

these festivals are completely different than any arena/outdoor shed regular rush concert.....

at a regular show, rush is the only band on the bill....its their venue to do whatever they want....but at the festivals, usually multi-day festivals, you have lots of bands playing, several stages, all kinds of other things happening.....

I purposely decided to skip both Ottawa and Quebec shows because they were festivals....plus, look at the wide crowd shot on the official rush show photos....you have thousands and thousands of people are standing in front of the stage general admission.....how good could the view be from hundreds of feet away.....

i suppose i am just old at 45 and can't be bothered with a sea of humanity.....i like having a seat, at least i have a little space thats reserved for me...

once rush hits halifax, the last shows of the tour will all be their regular A/B setlist just like the rest of the Clockwork Angels tour...

They no doubt shortened the set because it was a festival. According to setlist fm, there were six other bands on this bill. So no doubt time restrictions were the deciding factor in Rush cutting the set short. There's also the issue of all the technical stuff that can cause delays when you're taking down and setting up equipment for multiple bands. Stuff like this can easily cut into the headliners set time and force them to shorten the show a bit.

Hoping they do not short cut the Quebec festival tonight. They are the only band on the bill for that stage and they start at 8:30. We will see.

edit - The Milwaukee Summer festival saw a full set!

Edited by tripdad

the milwaukee show is not the same kind of festival.....

rush is starting at 8:30 pm for quebec, they have had start times at either 7:30 or 8pm, most of the time its been 7:30, with a real start time of about 7:41 or so...

.....seems to me they will finish the quebec show at 10:30ish, so shortened two hour set....

milwaukeee was at a regular shed, even though they call it summerfest or whatever....

these other festivals are these crowds in a field or area of thousands and thousands with no seats....no arena, no shed.....

Hoping they do not short cut the Quebec festival tonight. They are the only band on the bill for that stage and they start at 8:30. We will see.

I was at the Ottawa show, and they were the only band on the main stage all day too. They easily could have went on at 8 or even 7:45. They were originally suppose to be on at 8:15, but as I was walking into the grounds to get my ticket scanned, a guy on the megaphone was announcing that the headliners(Rush on main stage, and Mother Mother on the River Stage) will be going on 15 minutes later than the original slot time.

.....seems to me they will finish the quebec show at 10:30ish, so shortened two hour set....

milwaukeee was at a regular shed, even though they call it summerfest or whatever....

What makes you think this? When RUSH played the festival in 2010 it was a full set...

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/2010/les-plaines-dabraham-quebec-city-qc-canada-13d46935.html

:hi:

Back from the Ottawa Bluesfest. I did not think I'd have a chance to see Rush 5 times on this tour :o but I did. And with my Dad no less! :D I'll be posting a picture in the "Post Pictures of You" thread. It was absolutely wonderful to see a concert with my Dad and, to me, a wonderful expression of his love for me and his desire to want to get to know something that I love so much. I think his greatest enjoyment was seeing how overjoyed I was to be at a Rush concert. And, that is the bottom line: Rush played live and I got to see them with my Dad! :D

The point of the journey is not to arrive. Anything can happen.

Strangest Rush show I've ever seen though (this was # 22 :yay: ). I did meet a very nice fellow ( :hi: Montreal) who had a bad experience at the Boston show in October :oops: but still liked the city and would come back. He was off to Quebec City and had seen them 5 times this tour with a friend who had seen them 11 on the tour. :madra: We are a bunch of nuts :eyeroll: A Bluesfest veteran I met ( :hi: Jill :) ) said the previous night's act had run long and had violated the noise curfew of 11:00pm. The Bluesfest reacted (?) :unsure: by cutting the show to end at 10:30 sharp. Rush was to play a two hour show, a last minute change, handed out on slips at the entrance with handwritten changes to showtime/scheduling alterations, as explained to me by said Bluesfest veteran. Rush was originally billed as 8:15pm to 11:00pm sharp, but the slip of paper with the changes read 8:30pm to 10:30pm. We were pretty hacked off about that aspect - we pay the price for a previous band's poor behaviour... :wtf: ... -1,000 points for style.

And, the show was certainly abbreviated - Rush: The Abridged Version. I count at least 5 songs dropped from the A/A'/B/B'/C/whatever-they-feel-like-playing/whatever-they-feel-like-playing' pattern they have consistently followed. They took the stage at 8:30 sharp. The first set was 38 minutes long, the intermission consisted of the guys leaving the stage to cool off, the 2nd set video started immediately and the string players made their way onto stage. The guys seemed to have problems hearing each other and there were some ... errr ... very ... errrr ... unique transitions. Being the consummate professionals, the missteps were covered beautifully.

Rush finished at 10:27 with 2112.

The following morning, The Ottawa Citizen newspaper ran a "review" that had Rush as the only band in the headline (Rush, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly), talked about impenetrable melodies and pretentious songs with Geddy screaming like a banshee, yada, yada, yada, the "awesome" Subdivisions, the "preachy" Big Money (sic) and the "unknown and impossibly dense" Grand Designs. The review was about three or four paragraphs long and mentioned no other songs. The rest of the column sang the praises of the other bands (and in all fairness, they were quite good too). A very old school review clearly written by someone who does not like like Rush. Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose. http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/galactica/cylon/cylon003.gif

Still, I consider it a great concert experience (because I was with my Dad watching Rush!) and I'm quite forgiving of any performance issues. It is live music afterall, and part of the excitement of live music is when the "high wire walker slips and recovers while performing a seemingly impossible feat" - to use an analogy. At least, that's my take on it.

:)

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y487/CygnusGal/2013-07-08_21-47-21_42-TheWreckers-OttawaBluesfestOttawaON_zps981b22ee.jpg

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y487/CygnusGal/2013-07-08_20-39-08_571_zps441ef4a0.jpg

Edit for spelling and grammar

Edited by CygnusGal
  • Like 1

Good stuff CygnusGal!!

It was my 4th show of the tour and unfortunately that's it for a Rush show until 2015 or possibly even 2016(cross my fingers there WILL be another show to attend)

Out of the 4 other shows you saw on this tour in the States, which was your favourite show??

Edited by BloodofTheZodiac
  • Like 1

Good stuff CygnusGal!!

It was my 4th show of the tour and unfortunately that's it for a Rush show until 2015 or possibly even 2016(cross my fingers there WILL be another show to attend)

Out of the 4 other shows you saw on this tour in the States, which was your favourite show??

Probably Manchester, NH. It was the first time and when they played The Body Electric, I went *crazy*. In fact, I loved the whole set. Uncasville, CT sounded the best I think.

Bluesfest was a fun night. I can't believe I paid CDN$9 for a cold and so-so falafel. Good sized crowd though and I met some really nice folks. :)

What brought you to the Ottawa show instead of Hamilton or Quebec City?? Was it visiting the city that had to do with it as well??

Family. Ottawa is a beautiful city with an enormous variety of activities. I always love visiting.

Well they were playing the full set until the lightning threat came. They had 6 songs left in the second set when they stopped the show.

What makes you think this? When RUSH played the festival in 2010 it was a full set...

http://www.setlist.f...a-13d46935.html

According to rushisaband.com at 3:18am they played setlist A with limelight, so it was a full show....not sure why they did the shortened show in ottawa and sweden but were able to do the full gig in quebec....