Mastodon

Akron162

I think i havent seen this band mentioned a lot in this forum, so why not?

Ive been listening to Crack the Skye and Leviathan a lot these days, and i can say they are actually pretty good. Thight, concise, very heavy and focused prog metal. They are not Dream Theater for sure, but they surely know their metal.

I would only criticize their vocals: 4 singers in the band and none seem to know how to sing. Aside from that, they are pretty cool.

I know they dont have a lot of albums, any recomendation other than those 2 i mentioned?

Their latest on, The Hunter, is somewhat different from the two you mentioned, but equally cool. The drumming in their songs is insane!!! I have to agree with you on the vocals, though. It may be simply a matter of choice to arrange the vocals that way, but sometimes they sound really annoying.

That being said, I´ve seen them live twice, in different places, and it´s always a face-melting experience, totally worth it!

Love 'em, one of my favorite bands. Leviathan is my favorite, but all of their albums are good. I'd check out Blood Mountain next...some crazy proggy shit like Capillarian Crest on that one. The Hunter is their most commercial sounding, but still a good album, and Remission is their heaviest album and the drumming is insane.

Great band!

Crack the sky is a killer album, they're not Dream Theater, and that's a good thing, less wanking.

I love their heavier stuff too, Remission is a MONSTER

I love Mastodon! Saw them live right when The Hunter was released, and they were amazing.

My favorite after Crack The Skye is the Hunter. :haz:

I have a few of their albums. Crack The Skye in particular is great! :haz:

The Czar and The Last Baron are amazing!

• Like 4

Awesome band, definitely one of my favorite "newly discovered" bands. Have yet to listen to Remission or Blood Mountain, but everything else that I have listened to are all amazing. Had a chance to see them with Opeth last year, but passed on it because I didn't know who Mastodon were at the time, but I think it all worked out in the end cause I probably wouldn't have appreciated them as much as I do now. Edited by PolarizeMe

I've been aware of Mastodon almost since their beginning and heard a few songs here and there, but shortly after The Hunter was released for some reason they caught my attention while music surfing, so I wikipediaed them and bought Leviathan, Blood Mountain, and Crack The Skye. A few months later I bought all their other shit, even their demo and live album. They are one of the few bands to emerge in the last decade that I have borderlined obsessed on. The Hunter is their most focused and 'fleshed out' album and all-around killer. I either like or love all their other stuff too. Blood Mt. is totally under-rated. It must have been strange for their fanbase to hear them evolve so much on each album.

I go back and forth between the Hunter and Crack the Skye as my favorite. Both have their strong points. I think the Hunter has more quality material on it, but Crack the Skye has The Last Baron, The Czar, and Oblivion, which are three of Mastodon's finest songs ever. :haz: