Earplugs?

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use earplugs at the concerts?

• Yes
    • No

My daughter will be attending her first concert this week, and she has relatively sensitive ears. I have never worn earplugs to a concert so wondering what those of you that do recommend.

I would like something that lowers the noise, but does not ruin the sound. Don't know how many of you have experimented with different types of earplugs (foam, wax, etc) but hopefully some of you can assist.

thanks!

I have musician's earplugs. They are fabulous! No muffled sound whatsoever...and no ringing ears afterwards!

Here is where I bought them:

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ETY-Plugs-Protection-Earplugs/dp/B0044DEETC

The standard fit me and the kids. We each have a pair. So much better than foam or cotton!

What did you say? I can't hear you.
  • Like 1

I usually wear earplugs, but I forgot them at my Rush concert. I was told they play insanely loud (which I don't agree with), so I was kinda prepared for ringing ears. The sound pressure level weren't that high as I would have expected, however the mix sounded like it was intended for listening with earplugs. The high end range of the spectrum was way too dominant, which is usually the area that gets attenuated by earplugs. Madix did correct it though.

Next to me stood two young boys, with their fingers in their ears. Kids have more sensitive ears, so I would advice you (and everyone) to bring along earplugs. They're good to have, and you can always take them out if need be.

Better safe than sorry as they say :)

Edited by The Analog Grownup

I usually wear earplugs, but I forgot them at my Rush concert. I was told they play insanely loud (which I don't agree with), so I was kinda prepared for ringing ears. The sound pressure level weren't that high as I would have expected, however the mix sounded like it was intended for listening with earplugs. The high end range of the spectrum was way too dominant, which is usually the area that gets attenuated by earplugs. Madix did correct it though.

Next to me stood two young boys, with their fingers in their ears. Kids have more sensitive ears, so I would advice you (and everyone) to bring along earplugs. They're good to have, and you can always take them out if need be.

Better safe than sorry as they say :)

You know, you are so right. I tried to listen a bit without it and it seemed all the highs were just overtaking the mids and the lows. I didn't know if it was just me or what. Once I put the earplugs in, it filtered all those highs out and it sounded much clearer for me.

Earplugs are a definite must if you want to prevent that dreaded ringing in your ears for days with a killer headache to boot or worse! I use the Heros brand which filters the loud music and makes it so much clearer IMO! :ebert:

It's not just ringing in the ears. I have tinnitus and hearing damage, from going to concerts. I am 30 years old, and have been going to concerts since I was 1 year old, so I have years and years of terrible hearing damage.

I am also a musician, as well as music lover, and need to preserve my hearing...so I wear musician's earplugs. They not only stop tinnitus, but they prevent ear ringing and make the concert more enjoyable.

This is what I specially order from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ETY-Plugs-Protection-Earplugs/dp/B0044DEESS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372854535&sr=8-1&keywords=baby+blues+musicians+earplugs

Earplugs are a must at every concert for me, but that is probably because I am old! I don't know why concerts have to be so loud, I saw Overkill (thrash metal band) at Portland's Roseland Theater a couple of years ago and the sound was perfect and I didn't use earplugs but every other concert I have been to is ridiculously loud. You young people should listen to your elders and use earplugs, you will thank us later.

This is what I specially order from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co...icians earplugs

Yep, they work wonders! I'll never go to a concert again - indoor or outdoor - without them.

I agree with both of you. I use the exact same earplugs and have ever since I saw Soundgarden in Toronto two years ago. That show was ridiculously loud (from what I read afterwards), but my hearing was fine. I also have tinnitus in one ear, so it's a must for me at this stage of life (my 40s).

I can't attend gigs without earplugs anymore, or my ears hurt and I can't enjoy the music. I usually use foam ones because I find the musician-style ones linked above to be uncomfortable. I also like the foam ones because I can adjust them easily if the concert isn't killingly loud and I just want to cut the highs a little without having my ears completely plugged up. I wish like hell that I had worn earplugs when I was a stupid kid who thought that having ringing ears after a gig was a indication that I'd had a good time.

I had a great fan-to-fan moment at the Time Machine gig in Saratoga Springs in 2010 over earplugs. I'd forgotten to bring any, and by the end of the first set, my ears were really starting to bother me. I went to the merch stand and asked if they had any, and they didn't, but a fan who was in line heard me ask and said "I've got some extras, hold on a moment and let me buy my T-shirt then I'll give them to you!" He gave me a pair and I thanked him for saving my evening, then we happily squeed about Rush together for a few minutes until our spouses started getting impatient :LOL:

I didn't think the sound was too loud at any of the 3 CA concerts I attended. In fact, the sound was just right. I bought some of the earplugs, mentioned above, but neither my wife nor I found them necessary. Maybe a very young child or baby would need them, but it's not that much louder than cranking up the volume just a wee bit at home.

Does any of you know if Madix is using earplugs? It could explain the excessive highs? My experience was that after 3 or 4 songs in, he had tamed it a bit.

I meassured the Sound Pressure Level halfway between the FOH and the stage and got a reading avagering 98db. That gives you about 3 hours before it becomes fatigueing and damaging. 98dbs ain't that much of a rock concert. Heck, I practice louder with my band ;)

I had corrective ear surgery (for otosclerosis) just prior to the Time Machine Tour. Otosclerosis, for the uninitiated, is a congential disease in the inner ear where calcification of the stapes bone (remember Grade 6 health class?...the little "stir-up" bone) fuses to the conductive gel sack in the inner ear caausing sound to become muted and withdrawn. Ultimately, I would have lost my hearing completely (worst case) or would have had to wear a hearing aid for the rest of my life. I was only in my late 30s. Typically, this disease knocks out both ears at the same time, but I was lucky (so far) that only one ear went.

Fast forward to the Rush show in Hamilton in 2011...I had incredible seats in the 8th row on Geddy's side. Having seen Rush before, I knew what to expect for loudness...its a rock concert...that's what you get. what I didn't anticipate however, was that I was sitting directly under the hanging registers (you know the long curved caterpillar-like speaker columns?) and the sonic boom from the show was incredibly intense and painful. While I enjoyed the overall show, my impression of the sound was less than impressed. I felt the sound more than I heard it. My ears were ringing for days and for a while, I was nervous that I caused permanent damage to the ear that had just had surgery. As you can imagine, I didn't wear earplugs.

Continue to fast-forward to today...tomorrow night, I'll be at the same vanue in Hamilton roughly the same distance away from the stage, but this time on Alex's side...but under the speaker column once again. I plan to heed everyone's advice here and learn from my past mistakes...I will be bringing and wearing my earplugs. I've suffered through hearing loss and while I love the band, the music, and the atmosphere, I simply don't want to go through that again.

I had corrective ear surgery (for otosclerosis) just prior to the Time Machine Tour. Otosclerosis, for the uninitiated, is a congential disease in the inner ear where calcification of the stapes bone (remember Grade 6 health class?...the little "stir-up" bone) fuses to the conductive gel sack in the inner ear caausing sound to become muted and withdrawn. Ultimately, I would have lost my hearing completely (worst case) or would have had to wear a hearing aid for the rest of my life. I was only in my late 30s. Typically, this disease knocks out both ears at the same time, but I was lucky (so far) that only one ear went.

Fast forward to the Rush show in Hamilton in 2011...I had incredible seats in the 8th row on Geddy's side. Having seen Rush before, I knew what to expect for loudness...its a rock concert...that's what you get. what I didn't anticipate however, was that I was sitting directly under the hanging registers (you know the long curved caterpillar-like speaker columns?) and the sonic boom from the show was incredibly intense and painful. While I enjoyed the overall show, my impression of the sound was less than impressed. I felt the sound more than I heard it. My ears were ringing for days and for a while, I was nervous that I caused permanent damage to the ear that had just had surgery. As you can imagine, I didn't wear earplugs.

Continue to fast-forward to today...tomorrow night, I'll be at the same vanue in Hamilton roughly the same distance away from the stage, but this time on Alex's side...but under the speaker column once again. I plan to heed everyone's advice here and learn from my past mistakes...I will be bringing and wearing my earplugs. I've suffered through hearing loss and while I love the band, the music, and the atmosphere, I simply don't want to go through that again.

I'm sorry that you had to go through that. Hearing damage is really a wakeup call, and not enough people protect their hearing (we protect everything else, why not our ears?)

Musicians earplugs may be "uncool", but I'm at the age and the place where I just don't care. I'd rather have my hearing into my 70's and 80's and beyond. I wear musicians' earplugs to theater movies, for god sakes...I'm certainly going to wear them to a heavy metal concert.