Grand Rapids - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Snaked

Real quick review of the Grand Rapids show.

Had a very nice seat. 9th row center on Alex's side of the section.

The ugly - SOUND! Wow.. was the mix BAD from my seat. Alex was totally burrried except during his solos. And Neil's electronic kit was essentially non-existent. NOT a good night for Matix!

The bad - LIMELIGHT!!! Why? Why? WHY????

The Good - The 2nd set. It seems like when the strings come on the show moves to a completely different level. The players have really gotten their groove on at this point and arrangements have been tightened up to a point where they are magical IMO.

Thats the quick 2:30am review.. mebbe I'll post more thoughts another time ;)

Yeah the sound was a bit ugly, Neil's drums were THUNDERING, and not particularly in a good way. When he started going nuts at the end of Force 10 it actually hurt my ears a bit. There were a couple screw ups like when he sang the wrong lyric in Subdivisions (which I accidentally sung wrong along with him lol) but otherwise it was a great show.

Your thread title should have been The Good and the Ugly, because having Rush play Limelight for you live is never never never never never never never never never a bad thing.

Never.

• Like 3

Limelight is played for the 80-95% of the audience that falls asleep when too many 82-89 songs are played in a row. I may prefer to hear TBE (and less so MD), but the audience as a whole doesn't want to, and the energy at the shows with Limelight proves this.
  • Like 1

Limelight is played for the 80-95% of the audience that falls asleep when too many 82-89 songs are played in a row. I may prefer to hear TBE (and less so MD), but the audience as a whole doesn't want to, and the energy at the shows with Limelight proves this.

Exactly. The show here in Buffalo last year was the first time they did Limelight on the tour and the reaction was huge as it always is for it. Not many people cared for Force 10 and Grand Designs, so something was needed to wake up 90 percent of the sold out crowd at that point in the show. While I was a disappointed we weren't getting Body Electric which I really wanted to hear, I completely understood why Limelight was played that night and I have no problem with them doing it. It's still a great song no matter how overplayed by the band and the radio it's been through the years. You can't fault Rush or any band for performing a guaranteed crowd pleaser on a regular basis.

• Like 1

Exactly. The show here in Buffalo last year was the first time they did Limelight on the tour and the reaction was huge as it always is for it. Not many people cared for Force 10 and Grand Designs, so something was needed to wake up 90 percent of the sold out crowd at that point in the show. While I was a disappointed we weren't getting Body Electric which I really wanted to hear, I completely understood why Limelight was played that night and I have no problem with them doing it. It's still a great song no matter how overplayed by the band and the radio it's been through the years. You can't fault Rush or any band for performing a guaranteed crowd

pleaser on a regular basis.

Exactly, guaranteed crowd pleaser. Anyone who hates Limelight being played is a fat spoiled Rush fan whos been to too many Rush shows.

Good show last night. The sound was good from my seat. Van Andel is pretty variable that way expecially when it is full (and it was very full last night). The crowd loved the CA stuff and it was indeed well played.

My personal highlught was Headlong Flight. A real barnburner last night. So much 80's material really needed a Limelight to bring the crowd into things. I am sure there had to be some first timers in the audience last night that appreciated that song. I try not to forget that they are playing to a variety of fans every night, not just hard core fans like the people here. 2112 is always a favorite of mine so no matter how many times I hear it its always good for me.

I was glad the setlist was different from the other CA show I saw last fall. I got both A & B and that makes it all good!

Limelight is a GREAT song. No doubt about that.

Problem is they have chosen to rotate it through 2 songs that haven't been played for a VERY long time.

I have seen Limelight live many many times.. more than I choose to count TBH.

I must prefer TBE and MD in that slot. If they really wanted to play Limelight then rotate it with another song.. like TBM or F10.

Of course that is just MY opinion ;)

• Like 1

I always thought they should've dropped Far Cry and made Limelight the first set closer. I've got no problem with Far Cry but playing Limelight at the end of the first set makes more sense since they're about to go into an hour straight of new material in the second half.
  • Like 1

I get that they're attached to Territories, but they should drop that and put Limelight there instead. I WANT MIDDLETOWN DREAMS!

Territories was my pee break song. I was far from the only one in the bathroom.

I get that they're attached to Territories, but they should drop that and put Limelight there instead. I WANT MIDDLETOWN DREAMS!

I believe you. Lots of people drink too much during concerts.

• Like 1

I don't know how he can calculate that he would need to go to the bathroom, at the exact time when Territories was playing... A real Rush fan should not feel the need to take a beer to appreciate the music, and to see the whole set. I can only imagine if people take 3 beers at the show, they miss 20 minutes of show... And now they complain about the ticket price...

I thought the show was awesome! No real complaints about the sound, but agree that Alex could have been brought higher in the mix a little. I was 6th row in front of Alex.

I appreciate that some of us would rather see Limelight get a rest, which they've done on this tour, but I was thrilled when the opening notes rang out and they played it. I missed this song on the two dates I saw last year. One of my favorites, so they can play it anytime!

Funniest part of the show for me is when this guy and his girlfriend in the front row in front of Alex started kissing when Tom Sawyer started. Alex really got a kick out of it, and he messed with them for most of the first 1/4 of the song. Classic!!!

Enjoyed the venue and surrounding restaurant district. Nice to park the car at the hotel and be done with it 'til morning! Also always enjoy the fellow fans met along the way. Rush fans are like no other!

Feeling the pull of trying to sneak another show in while they are near... We'll see!!!

Agree that the sound was a tab bottom heavy. I was on the floor, about 25 rows back, center section. I thought the crowd was appreciative, but kind of reserved...alot of sitting. Much more lively crowd in Chicago last year. But awesomely played show...I didn't notice any significant mistakes.

I enjoyed the fake moustaches the string players donned for yyz...not sure if that's something they've been doing. Seemed to catch Ged and Al by surprise...in a funny way. I guess the guys sense of humor is wearing off on the fiddlers. The fake eyeglasses, big nose and moustache combo might be a better choice.

Agree that the sound was a tab bottom heavy. I was on the floor, about 25 rows back, center section. I thought the crowd was appreciative, but kind of reserved...alot of sitting. Much more lively crowd in Chicago last year. But awesomely played show...I didn't notice any significant mistakes.

I enjoyed the fake moustaches the string players donned for yyz...not sure if that's something they've been doing. Seemed to catch Ged and Al by surprise...in a funny way. I guess the guys sense of humor is wearing off on the fiddlers. The fake eyeglasses, big nose and moustache combo might be a better choice.

Looks like people don't drink enough to me :D

I don't know how he can calculate that he would need to go to the bathroom, at the exact time when Territories was playing... A real Rush fan should not feel the need to take a beer to appreciate the music, and to see the whole set. I can only imagine if people take 3 beers at the show, they miss 20 minutes of show... And now they complain about the ticket price...

Being that I am a male between the age of 3 and 70, I can control my own bladder and hold pee until I have a chance or pee earlier than necessary if I have a chance. I had already seen Territories twice before, and I don't like that song at all, so I went and took a pee, smoked a bowl, got a beer, and got back to my seat before the song ended. Mohegan Sun stinks for smoking, but you can't beat access to toilets and beers.

Also, anyone who's been to a concert where beer isn't sold knows that the energy of the crowd is worse when the people are all sober. Ditto for most weekday shows. You need the energy from the casuals and the Rush fans who like to drink in order to have the entire audience electric. I'm not saying you need to be shit-faced to enjoy the show, nor am I saying that you need to ingest anything at all to enjoy the show. But the energy at shows where people drink a bit is definitely better than when they don't.

Edited by LedRush

Anyone know what the expected set list is for Cinti on Tuesday?

If it is the next show after this one, try here: http://www.rushisaba...php?tour_id=258

Glad to see you still stalk these pages. SOCN ain't the same without you, but I imagine your life is happier now :)

Edited by LedRush
  • Like 2