Listen to setlist before show or be surprised?

hcm

Are we the only ones that create playlists of the setlist before the show?

Granted they sometimes switch it up but I am pretty much familiar with all the songs being played.

Rush has a huge catalogue and there are some songs I hadn't listened too for awhile that I was happy to be reminded how much I liked.

I saw the first leg of this tour in Chicago and I decided not to peak at the setlist and be surprised.

I have to admit it caught me off guard a little bit. The first set has a lot of songs that I wasn't expecting.

The second set is mostly Clockwork Angels which I wasn't as familiar with as I wanted to be. Hard to sing along.

Don't get me wrong.. It was a great show, but I think I will enjoy the second leg of the tour more now that I have rehearsed

my singing along with the playlist. I'm totally pumped and ready to go.

I also have read the CA book since then and listened to it a lot more and am really looking forward to that part of the show the most.

I love the strings! I just wish they would play Losing It or Tears.

I'm hoping there is a R40 tour with all of the greatest hits and some more from the first four albums, even if it is an overture like on R30.

Would it kill them to at least play the kick ass drum solo and some of the awesome riffs in The Fountain of Lamneth. I'm serious.

How about In the End too! So many great songs. My favorite newer song is How it Is from Vapor Trails!.

I could go on forever!

Can't wait till Friday for Round 2! I really want to hear Wish Them Well this time around. Didn't hear it on the first leg.

:7up: :7up: :7up: :7up: :smoke: :smoke: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

I totally thought they would do Losing it this tour with the strings.

I don't think they ever will do Tears.

Fly by Night is one of my favs and the second album I ever heard lots of good stuff.

We saw 3 shows this tour and got the same setlist for each.

I probably annoyed people with singing the CA stuff love that album

Edited by hcm

I avoided all talk of the shows until I went to the Pittsburgh show on 9/11. After that, all I wanted was different lists each subsequent show I went to, and was fortunate enough to experience all the songs they have performed on this tour.

I have not made any playlists of their setlists. I just have one big playlist - RUSH. :)

What's interesting to me is that over the past several tours, they've REALLY changed things up! I think it's great that they are digging into different era's for their setlists, and not just playing the same 15-20 tunes tour after tour! You go to a Kansas show, and it's the same tunes tour after tour, Buffett..same, Chicago...same, ________ same! Very few older bands are playing different stuff on each tour... these guys have mixed it up, and played different things constantly, and you HAVE to give them credit for it!

That said...I'm not really a huge fan of this setlist...but I appreciate what they are doing, and enjoyed the shows for what they were...LIVE RUSH shows! (in fact I must have really hated it since I saw them twice!)

I LIKE the fact that they are playing a good majority of the new album, I LIKE that they are changing it up...but I'm hoping that the "R40-something" tour gives us some crazy stuff!! (R40-something overture will probably pick up where the R30 overture left off)

Bottom line....IT'S RUSH!

I didn't peek at the setlist before the first show that I saw on this tour. I just got really familiar with the new album and got ready for a surprise. I about fainted when they came out and played Subdivisions right off the bat. Actually, I didn't peek at the setlist for the Atlanta show, either, but I knew there was an A/B alternation. Boy, was I surprised when they played The Pass!

I always have two kids with me so making a playlist of the Setlist is a must. They enjoy the show much, much more when they know each song. They didn't grow up with RUSH like us so we need to introduce them to the older songs as we go.

:codger:

What's interesting to me is that over the past several tours, they've REALLY changed things up! I think it's great that they are digging into different era's for their setlists, and not just playing the same 15-20 tunes tour after tour! You go to a Kansas show, and it's the same tunes tour after tour, Buffett..same, Chicago...same, ________ same! Very few older bands are playing different stuff on each tour... these guys have mixed it up, and played different things constantly, and you HAVE to give them credit for it!

That said...I'm not really a huge fan of this setlist...but I appreciate what they are doing, and enjoyed the shows for what they were...LIVE RUSH shows! (in fact I must have really hated it since I saw them twice!)

I LIKE the fact that they are playing a good majority of the new album, I LIKE that they are changing it up...but I'm hoping that the "R40-something" tour gives us some crazy stuff!! (R40-something overture will probably pick up where the R30 overture left off)

Makes me wonder if the next tour will be full of songs from the 90s. Will we finally get Cut to the Chase??

• Like 1

Makes me wonder if the next tour will be full of songs from the 90s. Will we finally get Cut to the Chase??

That's what I was wondering...if since they seem to be added "newer" old songs each time, that we'll get 90's stuff on their next outing? As I've said, I'm not complaining, and agree that there ARE people the like the "newer" old tunes, and they aren't just playing the same old stuff over and over. Hard to say...I'd like to hear a few different things from the later years since I didn't get to see them live from 1987 until1996!

I put playlists on my iPod and listen to them while driving to the shows to make sure I know every. single. word. hehehe. It's more fun for me when I know the songs!
  • Like 1

I like to know what's being played at any gig. I don't like going to concerts and the band plays songs I don't know, because I know that 3 months down the line I'll listen to those songs and end up really liking them and being annoyed that I missed out on knowing those songs at the time. So looking at the Setlist allows me to become familiar with songs I might not have listened to. For example I had never given the synth era much attention, I have to admit I'd always been a synth hater without actually ever listening to the songs very much. But when I heard they were playing a lot of synth era songs on this tour, I was a bit annoyed, heck I even made an account to voice my opinions on here. But eventually I bought the synth era albums and not only got into the ones they were playing but ones that they weren't. Between the Wheels, Emotion Detector, the Enemy Within, Afterimage, all of them, I love them all now!

I'd like to think now that I know the entire discography that I might not look at the Setlist if they ever do another tour, but I know that I'll crumble and look at it anyway.