Live Overdubs??

Rockosmith

This one.... it is hard to tell if it is a studio overdub or just a close directional mic with a noise-gate to block out the ambient surrounding sounds . . .

ESL - Limelight vocals isolated

Are you saying the vocals on this song were done in a studio after the fact?

He said it was hard to tell just what it is.

There is a LOT of vocal overdubs over the years. There are some excellent bootlegs from a youtube user named Roll The Femers. Geddy even lip synched at times.

Beginning of Cold Fire, he pretends to sing it but clearly isnt because he will back off from the mic in a couple of the vids, but the voice still goes, and sounds very dubbed. His voice was horrendous on that tour, so you can tell it was dubbed when it sounded really good, it was not him. It was also a bit louder than his voice when he was actually singing. He goes from sounding amazing singing "cold fire" in the opening of that song, to sounding horrible in the verses.

Stick it out, chorus when he says "stick it out", not sung live, dubbed in. I just remember those 2 because I just watched the Counterparts tour from April 94 at the Spectrum that he uploaded that I was at.

I dont know if its cheating, I guess it could be, theres no reason why he couldnt sing those lines live I just mentioned, but he just didnt for unknown reasons. They werent colliding with other vocals, could have been pulled off live but just werent. There are a lot of examples of this with Rush, some on their official live releases. Could be just to give his tired voice a break whenever he can get one. I was at all of those tours when his voice started going down after Power Windows. Hold Your Fire is when I first remember them doing a bit of vocal overdubs live. You can hear a lot of it on A Show of Hands.

Edited by trenken

There is a LOT of vocal overdubs over the years. There are some excellent bootlegs from a youtube user named Roll The Femers. Geddy even lip synched at times.

Beginning of Cold Fire, he pretends to sing it but clearly isnt because he will back off from the mic in a couple of the vids, but the voice still goes, and sounds very dubbed. His voice was horrendous on that tour, so you can tell it was dubbed when it sounded really good, it was not him. It was also a bit louder than his voice when he was actually singing. He goes from sounding amazing singing "cold fire" in the opening of that song, to sounding horrible in the verses.

Stick it out, chorus when he says "stick it out", not sung live, dubbed in. I just remember those 2 because I just watched the Counterparts tour from April 94 at the Spectrum that he uploaded that I was at.

I dont know if its cheating, I guess it could be, theres no reason why he couldnt sing those lines live I just mentioned, but he just didnt for unknown reasons. They werent colliding with other vocals, could have been pulled off live but just werent. There are a lot of examples of this with Rush, some on their official live releases. Could be just to give his tired voice a break whenever he can get one. I was at all of those tours when his voice started going down after Power Windows. Hold Your Fire is when I first remember them doing a bit of vocal overdubs live. You can hear a lot of it on A Show of Hands.

Yeah, the Stick It Out chorus is sampled to augment a live lead vocal. Geddy doesn't lip sync. At all. Stop gguessing wrong.

Yeah, the Stick It Out chorus is sampled to augment a live lead vocal. Geddy doesn't lip sync. At all. Stop gguessing wrong.

Didnt say he lip synched that one. He lip synchs the beginning of cold fire. So you dont think he is lip synching here?

You can tell he is because it sounds very different than when hes really singing in verse 1.

Didnt say he lip synched that one. He lip synchs the beginning of cold fire. So you dont think he is lip synching here?

You can tell he is because it sounds very different than when hes really singing in verse 1.

No. It's Geddy singing live, with an echo on the beginning cold fire part, which is probably more spoken than sung. No lip sync at all. You open yourself up to insults when you guess instead of actually knowing things.

Didnt say he lip synched that one. He lip synchs the beginning of cold fire. So you dont think he is lip synching here? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSnfLHEB14s&list=PL79A7714AEA91E85D&index=4

No. It's Geddy singing live, with an echo on the beginning cold fire part, which is probably more spoken than sung. No lip sync at all. You open yourself up to insults when you guess instead of actually knowing things.

Youre completely wrong. He IS lip synching there. It sounds completely different. It has nothing to do with an echo. The quality of his voice is totally different in that part than in the rest of the song when he's singing. Whatever helps you sleep at night though...

Proof genius. Watch the end at 5:00. He actually sings over the overdubbed vocals that he was lip synching to at the beginning, and again, the sound of it is not the same as when he actually sings for real into the mic.

Would have helped if you watched the whole video before claiming he was actually singing that. And its a 100% fact he is not.

• Like 1

Proof genius. Watch the end at 5:00. He actually sings over the overdubbed vocals that he was lip synching to at the beginning, and again, the sound of it is not the same as when he actually sings for real into the mic.

Would have helped if you watched the whole video before claiming he was actually singing that. And its a 100% fact he is not.

Proof what, dumbass. He sings over the cold fire sample at the end. Geddy does not lip sync.

If you want to "prove it", you need more than one substandard video. Jackass. :LOL:

Yup and in both instances you can clearly see him triggering the sample with his foot.

• Like 1

Yup and in both instances you can clearly see him triggering the sample with his foot.

Okay, good eyes JARG. He triggered both parts.

Two words. And he probably sang along with the opening part, with the sample. Anyone who claims Geddy lip syncs because of that is a nitpicking Ahole. I guess I needed a non-nitpicking Ahole to point this out properly. Victory is yours, trenken.

Everybody overdubs live albums. Mics fail, wrong notes are hit, mistakes are made. Geddy's liner notes on Different Stages admits that they tried not to "mess" with the tapes too much. Neil wasn't around and Alex wasn't interested so I doubt very much was done to that one. Live albums always sound different from bootlegs because they have the benefit of being mixed in a professional studio and these days they can meld different versions into one another. I like live albums, but it is always nice to hear a raw bootleg as well.

Okay, good eyes JARG. He triggered both parts.

Two words. And he probably sang along with the opening part, with the sample. Anyone who claims Geddy lip syncs because of that is a nitpicking Ahole. I guess I needed a non-nitpicking Ahole to point this out properly. Victory is yours, trenken.

Let me see if I got this right. Someone claimed Geddy has lip synced, showed an example of him doing so, and he's the nitpicking Ahole???

• Like 1

The version of "The Analog Kid" on Different Stages is a good example where you can hear a "fixed" version on the album , at least vocally. Check out the version from Different Stages and compare it to the one on the "View From The Palace" boot.
This is the version used on Different Stages.

Not sure how much activity is on this site these days, and considering the last post to this thread was about 8.5 years ago I doubt anyone will read it, but figured I'd respond anyway since this is a topic there is a lot of misinformation about (perhaps it would be more sympathetically described as "romanticization").

There are a lot of persistent myths about Rush, most of which seem intended to foster an idealized image of the band.

One of them is the idea that they either never did any studio overdubbing on their live albums or only did a teeny weeny bit.

This is absolutely false.

They did a lot of studio work on their live albums, and put in a LOT of studio time on ESL in particular.

Martin Popoff talks about this in his recent Rush biographical trilogy.

The crowd sounds are enhanced and edited as well.

• Like 1

Unless we can hear the original multi-tracks and do an A/B comparison next to the finished product, this is all speculation. The remixing, enhancing of crowd noise is not even an issue. I have as many unreleased live recording s of Rush as any one. They're great and I love the rawness but an official live product? I want to have a polished product. Live board tapes with just a bit of crowd noise in the background, takes away the live feel, I want enhanced audience if it adds to the atmosphere. Someone hits a bum note? Sure fix it up. There's a rehearsal recording of Losing It done on the R40 tour. It would be so much more enjoyable if Geddy's voice doesn't crack when he sings "Sadder Still to watch it die..." If that were included on a legit release, I'd want them to fix it. This is Rush, not some lip-syncing fake boy band. They played these songs literally hundreds of times live - they can make the parts. But they're human and not perfect - a little enhancement makes for a lifetime of listening enjoyment
  • Like 3

There is no speculation -- for ESL, Geddy re-recorded vocals in the STUDIO for 100% of Limelight and 99% of Freewill. Probably other songs but I'm not sure. He probably did this because there was something amiss with the original vocals captured from the stage. Proof:

https://mega.nz/file/doBmQS7J#jdMkTqA1CyIQK2h9DY_EaPfdAgCB-6l6O5dPLQ-JOOM

https://mega.nz/file/8sZ0HQpS#jYvE7_wdBbQK-YzDWrX8Kfnn6pZSw2w4FyVAlVqoUXI

There is no speculation -- for ESL, Geddy re-recorded vocals in the STUDIO for 100% of Limelight and 99% of Freewill. Probably other songs but I'm not sure. He probably did this because there was something amiss with the original vocals captured from the stage. Proof:

https://mega.nz/file...-6l6O5dPLQ-JOOM

https://mega.nz/file...w2w4FyVAlVqoUXI

Are these the stems from ESL?

Unless we can hear the original multi-tracks and do an A/B comparison next to the finished product, this is all speculation. The remixing, enhancing of crowd noise is not even an issue. I have as many unreleased live recording s of Rush as any one. They're great and I love the rawness but an official live product? I want to have a polished product. Live board tapes with just a bit of crowd noise in the background, takes away the live feel, I want enhanced audience if it adds to the atmosphere. Someone hits a bum note? Sure fix it up. There's a rehearsal recording of Losing It done on the R40 tour. It would be so much more enjoyable if Geddy's voice doesn't crack when he sings "Sadder Still to watch it die..." If that were included on a legit release, I'd want them to fix it. This is Rush, not some lip-syncing fake boy band. They played these songs literally hundreds of times live - they can make the parts. But they're human and not perfect - a little enhancement makes for a lifetime of listening enjoyment

As long as there's not a train wreck it doesn't bother me much.

That Counterparts soundboard from Landover in 1994 is barely listenable. It sounds fantastic but Geddy had a bad cold that night and they probably should have cancelled. It's a very painful listen. Difficult to get "Poor Geddy" out of my head when I hear it.

• Like 1