Please help me understand this behavior, O beautiful and wise New World Women of Rush...

laughedatbytime

Is it just a guy thing that I will just never understand? Or do you find this insane as well?

The shoe department of Bergdorf Goodman, on the morning of May 29, looked like “an insane asylum of very well-dressed women,” said Sasha Charnin Morrison, the fashion director of Us Weekly, who was reporting from the front lines of what has become an annual rite of spring in Manhattan: the first day of the designer shoe sale.

In one room of the sprawling, glittering, intoxicating Shangri-La of shoes that begins at the top of the escalator on the second floor, were the smaller sizes: Manolo Blahnik pumps made of shiny turquoise patent leather ($322, down from $645); piles of citron and mint Lanvin leather ballerina flats ($247, from $495); and surreal pink pumps covered in blue crystals from Giuseppi Zanotti ($1,097, from $2,195). In another room were similarly decadent displays in larger sizes, beckoning from the racks like abandoned puppies.

“You know the way that men lose their minds when they look at cars?” Ms. Charnin Morrison said. “It was the same thing. You had every major brand on sale. Everybody lost their minds. The prices are insane, and yet I could tell you a million reasons why they are justified.”

The designer shoe industry, to some extent, relies on the willful suspension of rational thinking, the giving over to a more primal urge (to shop, that is) in order to move merchandise that common sense would suggest is patently, obscenely, even self-destructively overpriced.

Shoes are an especially fetishized subject in fashion, but it is only since the late 1990s, not coincidentally at the start of the television series “Sex and the City,” that they have become what they are today, with warring retailers, an influx of new players on the battleground each season, and very little price resistance demonstrated by consumers, even when the market has all the characteristics of another fashion bubble.

Here, a pair of raspberry suede espadrilles, among the most basic styles available at a luxury store like Bergdorf, can cost $495. The soles may be mere rope, but they’re Jimmy Choo, after all. Prices for pumps now commonly range from $600 to $1,400, and boots can cost $2,000 or more. At the top of the hierarchy of luxury footwear designers, Christian Louboutin makes a Lady Spiked Leopard-Print Platform Pump with a 5 3/4-inch heel for $1,595. Versions of his shoes in exotic skins, like crocodile, can cost as much as $4,645, which, it is strange to say, is anything but exceptional in this world.

For luxury retailers, expensive shoes have become a lucrative business, among the most profitable at Saks Fifth Avenue, for example. At Barneys New York, sales of shoes are three to four times higher per square foot than in any other department. The average purchase in the shoe department there is about $850, among the highest in the city.

While designer apparel may not have fully recovered from the shock of the recession, shoes have proved far more resilient, because they offer more perceived value to a customer than a designer dress that she might wear only a few times.

“Women have figured out quickly that shoes are a less expensive way of updating your wardrobe,” said Bonnie Takhar, the president of Charlotte Olympia, which makes exceedingly playful shoes like a wedge sandal designed to look like a wicker picnic basket ($1,995). “Plus they make you look taller.”

So it is not surprising that shoe salons in Manhattan’s fanciest stores have expanded at a breakneck pace over the last five years, or that the battle to become the ultimate showplace for shoes has gone global. Macy’s in New York, with its 39,000-square-foot shoe department introduced last year, has claimed the title of “world’s largest” from competitors like Galeries Lafayette in Paris and Selfridges in London. Saks, Barneys and Bergdorf, meanwhile, face the potential of yet another competitor in the next decade once Nordstrom, well-known for the breadth and service of its shoe departments, realizes its plan to open a store on West 57th Street.

In the shoe wars, the question is just how big they need to be to win, without risking casualties.

“WE ALL SIT AROUND and talk about the price of shoes,” said Ronald Frasch, the president and chief merchandising officer of Saks. But prices of everything in designer fashion, from handbags to men’s suits to swimwear to shorts, have increased so precipitously over the last decade that a pair of shoes can seem more justifiable when compared to a pair of equally expensive pants.

In 2007, when Saks introduced a footwear department on its eighth floor so big that the store, in a clever marketing move, gave it its own vanity ZIP code, 10022-SHOE, it set off what would ultimately become the great shoe wars of retail. Barneys introduced its floor-wide shoe department last year, with shoes displayed in large gilded cages and copious cushy seating, drawing comparisons to Saks. And now Bergdorf Goodman has announced plans to expand its department by 20 percent this fall.

The stores are just as competitive about carrying the top designers, like Mr. Louboutin, who, upon his 20th anniversary in 2011, was feted with a star-studded dinner by Barneys and then a blowout store party by Bergdorf.

Last week, Saks raised the bar again, opening a 1,600-square-foot shop dedicated to Mr. Louboutin, incorporating his handbags and signature store designs, the first of its kind. Next, Saks plans to open an accessories department for Alexander McQueen in the same area.

“Quite frankly, we felt the need to take it another step,” Mr. Frasch said.

At Barneys, the strategy has been to bring more exclusive new labels, or products designed just for the store, which now account for a third of its department, said Daniella Vitale, the chief operating officer of the store.

One successful example has been Marsèll, a collection of androgynous slip-ons that cost around $665, which has shot up to a $1 million business for the store in a year. Barneys is also sensitive to price, Ms. Vitale said, but exclusivity is a strong selling point. A pair of Azzedine Alaïa sandals may cost $1,400, she said, “but at the end of the day, we are selling out of them.”

Joshua Schulman, the president of Bergdorf, said that the growth of designer shoes is as much a societal trend as men becoming more interested in fashion. (The store is expanding, by the way, to include men’s shoes from Mr. Blahnik, Mr. Louboutin, Tom Ford and Berluti.)

“Personally, I don’t have any concern that this phenomenon is going to go away anytime soon,” Mr. Schulman said.

THE COMPETITION to stand out among designers today is fierce, said Charlotte Olympia Dellal, the chief executive of Charlotte Olympia, because newer companies have to fight for the same factory space as the big brands. Tabitha Simmons, whose ultracool style has made her a shoe star, said that starting out, she had to be on top of her business and production “30 hours a day.”

Last year, Ms. Dellal ranked No. 57 on the closely watched list of 100 power players published by Footwear News, which gives some idea of the scale and importance of the designers included on the list. Mr. Louboutin was the highest ranked designer at No. 3, behind the Nordstrom family and Phil Knight of Nike. Mr. Blahnik was No. 12.

Mr. Louboutin and Mr. Blahnik have waged battle for more than a decade. Mr. Louboutin charges $600 to $800 for many of his signature red-sole styles, but his over-the-top designs cost much more. In a perverse twist, a classic ladylike pair of pumps from Mr. Blahnik, the exemplar of luxury footwear who was made a household name by “Sex and the City,” are now, at $595, priced at the lower end of the market.

“It is more expensive to make shoes now,” Mr. Louboutin said last week from his studio in Paris. “And it’s for a very boring reason.”

Since the introduction of the euro and its subsequent strength against the dollar, the cost of producing shoes in Europe has increased substantially. More recently, facing competition from Asian factories for quality materials, some luxury houses are buying their own tanneries. “Now, there is a gap of raw materials and leather, which puts the prices up very high,” Mr. Louboutin said, adding that his costs have doubled within five years.

But Mr. Blahnik has held firm on prices for at least three seasons. The company is having a resurgence, said George Malkemus, its president, partly because of renewed interest in the single-sole shoe, which is Mr. Blahnik’s signature, and partly because the price of a classic BB pump, $595, might seem more reasonable.

Neiman Marcus recently introduced a made-to-order boutique for Mr. Blahnik’s BB pump, offering five different heel heights and 20 colors (if you count leopard as a color). And going full circle, Mr. Malkemus is starting a separate shoe business with Ms. Parker, with prices in the $200 to $400 range, that will be sold exclusively at Nordstrom beginning in February.

Although Blahnik offers some embellished styles that cost more than $1,000, Mr. Malkemus said that prices of shoes have generally gotten “out of whack.” Of course, the risk is that customers will associate higher prices with better shoes.

“Not if you know quality shoes,” Mr. Malkemus said, affecting a garmento accent. “I’m a bar-gain. What ultimately hurts a lot of these young people, including some very talented designers, is when a shoe costs $1,400.

“A customer might like what they see,” he said, “and then she turns the shoe over, looks at the price and walks away.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/20/fashion/shoe-battles-going-toe-to-toe-in-stilettos.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0&ref=style

It is a guy thing that you will (probably) never understand. I've tried to explain it to my husband and he still doesn't get it.

I am sure, knowing many Rush ladies, that some will tell you it doesn't matter and that they would never spend that much on shoes. But I know others that go nuts over a fantastic pair of shoes. I don't know about other women but there is something about wearing a great pair of heels that changes the way I carry myself. Maybe it's because I'm short so when I get an extra 3" it's a little confidence booster.

I do have a pair of $760.00 Cole Haan boots. Of course I waited until they were on sale and got them for $228.00 and I love, love, love them. They have 4" heels and go all the way up to my knee and have Nike technology in the sole so while they look incredibly painful they feel very similar to wearing tennis shoes.

For my wedding I had a custom pair made that cost close to $400.00.

But then again, right now I am wearing a pair of flats that I got on sale for $70.00.

There are some shoes made by luxury brands that are just incomparable to the cheaper brands. There is something about the way the materials feel, the way the shoe sits on the foot, the little details. When I have a good pair of shoes in my hand I kind of get really excited. If I compare my Old Navy ballerina flats to say, the pair of Gucci ballerina flats that I almost bought from Saks last time they had a sale, well there really is no comparison.

Last year my husband and I bought each other wedding presents. He bought me a Louis Vuitton bag and at first he said he couldn't understand why we would spend so much on a bag... but it's what I wanted. But as he started to pay more attention to the details of the bag he said he understood, not to mention I will probably have that bag for at least ten years. That's another difference I've noticed, I've had some of my most expensive shoes and boots for ages, one pair, a really nice pair of hiking boots, that I spent close to $300.00 on 12 years ago, I still have. So I think a lot of women see these sorts of things as good investments. I personally would rather have fewer pairs of nicer shoes than a closet full of cheap shoes that will get thrown out within a years time.

Some women are really into clothes. I've never been one of them. I always had my own independent way of dressing, no matter what was the latest fashion of the moment was.

If I had the money where I could afford the shoes/boots in Bergdorf, I would have them come to my apartment and display what they have. I hate crowds (that's why I didn't go to Woodstock ... honest). I would never go shopping on "Black Friday" for that very reason - no matter how good a deal.

For myself, it is simply not worth fighting a crowd to get. But everyone is different. This is not to say that I wouldn't spend that kind of money (if I had it to spend). I firmly believe that, for the most part, you get what you pay for. Like Gangster said, a good investment, be it shoes, pocketbook, coat etc., is worth it in terms of how long the item lasts in your closet. My present wool winter coat is 23 years old. I assure you nothing you would buy in Wal-Mart would last that long!

I must have some guy in me. LOL Coz I just don't get it. :blink:

I can't imagine sending that kind of money on shoes. Even if I had that kind of cash to spend on whatever, I'd not spend it on shoes.

I mean, I like a cute shoe, of course. But I don't care about who designed it, I just want a cute and comfortable shoe. And honestly, some of the designer stuff... just doesn't strike me as 'cute'.

If I had my fantasy shoe wardrobe.?. There'd not be a whole lot in there, LOL.

Same with purses. I don't get that, either. Cute, sturdy, with a few inside pockets, zippered and a long strap so I can carry it 'messenger bag' style. (always feels so ...not secure if I just have it on my shoulder. Like it's gonna slip off.)

I don't care about the name, or logos, or any of that (actually, I prefer to decorate my bag myself, so the less designer clutter, the better, LOL!)

...Quite frankly, I'm scared of things that are that expensive...

• Like 1

I must have some guy in me. LOL Coz I just don't get it. :blink:

I can't imagine sending that kind of money on shoes. Even if I had that kind of cash to spend on whatever, I'd not spend it on shoes.

I mean, I like a cute shoe, of course. But I don't care about who designed it, I just want a cute and comfortable shoe. And honestly, some of the designer stuff... just doesn't strike me as 'cute'.

If I had my fantasy shoe wardrobe.?. There'd not be a whole lot in there, LOL.

Same with purses. I don't get that, either. Cute, sturdy, with a few inside pockets, zippered and a long strap so I can carry it 'messenger bag' style. (always feels so ...not secure if I just have it on my shoulder. Like it's gonna slip off.)

I don't care about the name, or logos, or any of that (actually, I prefer to decorate my bag myself, so the less designer clutter, the better, LOL!)

...Quite frankly, I'm scared of things that are that expensive...

Yeah... I don't get it either. I can dress just as nice from stores like Fred Meyer, Walmart, Target and some mall stores. The only thing I enjoy spending money on are my kids, my boyfriend, my motorcycle, horse and bills. I don't usually buy clothes unless it's a gift card and I'm threadbare...

Yeah, I enjoy buying outfits for work to look professional in, (I'm more of an edgy professional. not the traditional business woman type) but spending huge amounts of money isn't something I can justify. I work too hard for my money for something that's going to go out of style next season. It's stupid to me.

Now, for a nice new performance car, classic or otherwise, OH HELL YES!!! A new Ninja? f**k YEAH!!!! That new Kieffer All Purpose saddle? YEP! :7up:

I will spend $200.00 on shoes but they are Doc Martens. :cool:

I can't walk in high heels. Not even if my life depended on it. Docs are sexier anyway.... :P

Hehehehehe I started practicing in my mom's when I was 7.

• Like 1

This is no less crazy than some geek buying a piece of Star Trek memorabilia for thousands of dollars...or a Rush fan forking out a grand for a killer seat. I wouldn't buy the Trek gear, the Rush seat, or shoes by Zanotti but I understand why it's done
  • Like 1

This sums it up, and no further understanding is necessary:

"...the willful suspension of rational thinking, the giving over to a more primal urge (to shop, that is)..."

I LOVE shoes and purses, but I cannot afford the pricer names. There is a resale shop close to my house that I absolutely adore. It's located close to the ritzy neighborhoods where women will bring in their designer stuff, many times with tags still attached. I got a barely-used Kate Spade handbag for $18 (originally $345), and a never-worn Ralph Lauren little black dress also for $18. Until I hit the lottery, this is how I satisfy my primal urge.

• Like 4

Sullysue, I can only hope that they open up a branch store near me one day. I'd love that Ralph Lauren black dress!

It's SO awesome! It's one of those shops where you sometimes have to dig around to find the good stuff. I got really lucky finding the RL dress. It was hidden way, way back on the rack, as if someone wanted to come back for it. Well, someone was SOL, but it wasn't me! And, they had just put the Kate Spade bag up on the display behind the register when I walked in. I didn't even ask how much it was. I just pointed at it and said, "That's mine." :D

• Like 2

I love Kate Spade. Seriously addicted.

'

I just got my bestie a Kate Spade wallet for her 30th. She is going to flip out. I cannot wait to give it to her.

• Like 2

I love Kate Spade. Seriously addicted.

'

I just got my bestie a Kate Spade wallet for her 30th. She is going to flip out. I cannot wait to give it to her.

I DO love Kate, too! Her stuff is unassuming, yet totally classy. Love it. What a great friend you are to buy her a Kate Spade, GF. She'll love it!

• Like 2

so when I get an extra 3" it's a little confidence booster.

You like getting that extra 3"?

:LOL:

You walked right into that one.

Any extra inches are good...

http://futility.typepad.com/futility/images/2008/05/14/rush2112.jpg

• Like 1

so when I get an extra 3" it's a little confidence booster.

You like getting that extra 3"?

:LOL:

You walked right into that one.

Any extra inches are good...

http://futility.typepad.com/futility/images/2008/05/14/rush2112.jpg

Dat toe!

• Like 2