Vapor Trails Tour Did you go Share your reactions

Rhyta

It was first Rush show ever so it was very special for me and quite a bigger deal than I ever would've thought. I was really blown away and remember having to fight off the lump in my throat when they opened the show. At one point in my I never thought I would see them live, seeing how Test for Echo came out when I was in ninth grade and going to concerts just wasn't in the cards at that age. I remember hearing about the hiatus and the reasons for it and I remember that Rush had faded into non-existence so much that you couldn't seem to hear or read anything about them. I really thought they were finished. It was a great show and I heard a lot of material live that I loved and was introduced to some songs that at the time were unknown deep tracks for me, such as Resist & Between Sun & Moon. It was a perfect introduction to the live world of Rush.
  • Like 1

This has to be one of the best threads on this forum. :)

I have to agree, you guys are giving me chills. Thanks so much for sharing these great memories!! :heart: :D

6/28/2002 -- Saw them six times on that tour, but I was in tears for most of the Harfford show. I've never been with a crowd with that vibe before or since.

It's hard to put into words the joy of that night. You could see it in the band's eyes that night too.
  • Like 1

I just read the new Illustrated History book and it shows how close they were to going their separate ways around the TFE days. Now I understand why it was so emotional for them and so many fans when they went out on the VT tour :wub: Edited by Rhyta

My wife and I made the trek and went to Hartford for opening night. There was just no way we were missing it!

The anticipation of not knowing the set at all was so refreshing, and the audience was at a level that is rarely achieved at an arena show!

The T4E tour had a great set list, and I was curious to see if they could top it.

It was great that they opened with TS and got it out of the way, and got the casual fans fired up right from the start. DEW was a song I was hoping for, and NWM was a great surprise. Bravado was great....one of my faves ever since RTB tour at MSG. The whole end of the 1st set was filled with surprises. Big Money is always early in the show, except this tour. BS&M is one of my wife's favorite Rush songs from her favorite album. VS is always great live, and Nat Sci was fantastic.

The show was just sky high with energy and emotion. Like a mass release from the band and crowd. Getting to hear By-Tor was beyond awesome, even with the guitar problem.

• Like 1

The Vapor Trails tour was emotinal for all of us, the boys and the fans. Before that, they did not know if they would be touring again. And we did not know if we would ever see them play on stage again.

But, after a long hiatus, there they were again. So there we were again. Like a family split apart for a bit, then reuniting, and picking up right were we all let off.

The size of the crowds proved we were still extatic about seeing them. And the first notes played proved that they still had it, better then ever.

3 hours of bliss for all. Great show. Lots of excitment on and off the stage. The best music out there. Great setlist.

A truely amazing experience.

And we reminded them, if they play it, we will come....

And as long as they realize it! (Which I think they do)

That was a great comeback tour as far as I'm concerned...I honestly thought that Test for Echo was it, and was getting used to the fact that I'd only get to see them four times...Thank GOD that wasn't the case!

There is no doubt that they realize it. They have even said so.

And seeing them in Hershey and Jones Beach this year, and their excitment about how into all the songs the crowd was, proves they still do.

Forgot to mention we saw them 4 other times on that tour.

I agree with there beeing no way to miss it. I missed the T4E tour. Something I will never forgive myself for. Som there was no way I was missing VT. I saw them 4 times on VT, and at least 4 every tour after (I think 6 for CA is the most thus far).

• Like 1

Vapor Trails was my first Rush tour, I saw two shows. West Palm Beach on Oct. 13 (?) 2002 and Atlanta (Philips Arena) 2 nights later.

I didn't have great seats, had to watch the video screens to see what was going on, but I didn't care. The songs that really stood out for me were:

Bravado (brought me to the edge of tears)

OLV (the whole songs attitude just screamed "we're back!!")

Earthshine (what a riff and yet beautiful)

Red Sector A (a longtime fave, and the video made it even more powerful)

The Pass (sang along to this so loudly, a guy 2 rows ahead turned around and nodded at me)

Natural Science (Mind. Blown.)

And just to confirm the fact that Atlantans are crappy fans for attending, well, anything :eyeroll: , at that show I could hear from several angles nearby people showing up late and asking what :rush: had opened with. Of course, this was the tour that opened with Tom Sawyer :oops: Served them right for dicking around :LOL:

At the W Palm Beach show I bought a white VT tour shirt with fireball on front and tour dates on back. I still have it and wear it :cool:

I can confirm that atlanta crowds are lame as hell for many shows

I was there with my brother and my dad. I was pretty emotional. The years between 1997 and 2002 , I went from being in junior high to just entering college, and all throughout those years, I listened to rush every single day, and kept telling myself I'd likely never see them in concert again. So to actually see them once more time (I saw them for the first time on T4E as a 12 year old) I was absolutely in disbelief and overjoyed it was happening. I teared up during Tom Sawyer, Distant Early Warning, Big Money and the By-Tor/Cygnus/Working Man closer. It was a fantastic tour.
  • Like 1

I was there with my brother and my dad. I was pretty emotional. The years between 1997 and 2002 , I went from being in junior high to just entering college, and all throughout those years, I listened to rush every single day, and kept telling myself I'd likely never see them in concert again. So to actually see them once more time (I saw them for the first time on T4E as a 12 year old) I was absolutely in disbelief and overjoyed it was happening. I teared up during Tom Sawyer, Distant Early Warning, Big Money and the By-Tor/Cygnus/Working Man closer. It was a fantastic tour.

I appreciate you sharing that with me, I think we are so lucky they got back together, if they didn't, I am not sure I would have become a fan since I didn't see them until R30. I think I learned to love VT the album by watching the Rush in Rio concert and how joyful the crowd was.

Great tour. I was there for the last show of the TFE tour in Ottawa after hearing about the rumours that it might be "over", not knowing what was to happen months later and Neil's tradegy's and really thought as time went on, that might be it, but seeing that "reunion" show in Hartford is a night i'll never forget. i can still see the stage if i close my eyes and during the encore I almost passed out from complete joy...there were very emotional moments of the show - acoustic Resist, between sun and moon, the insane ENCORE. Driving back home and catching them in Scranton the next night and getting the substituted tunes, i was 4th row for that and what a gig.....right in front of Lerxst.

Anytime I think about the band in a negative way or get nitpicky about something, I try and think back to that time and the fact we are extremely lucky to have them touring at all. It always brings me back to reality and my love for the guys and the music is such that rarely does anything irritate me these days about them.

Other than the first set of this current tour....LOL...just kidding...there is very little that I can complain about.....we are all extrememly lucky to have them touring and producing new music. CA is a literally a gift from GOD and i'm going to enjoy it for a long time to come.....I just need to find a way to get to that KS show......just in case....but mostly to see those CA tunes one more time...shit they are GOOD!!!! Rock on.

Great tour. I was there for the last show of the TFE tour in Ottawa after hearing about the rumours that it might be "over", not knowing what was to happen months later and Neil's tradegy's and really thought as time went on, that might be it, but seeing that "reunion" show in Hartford is a night i'll never forget. i can still see the stage if i close my eyes and during the encore I almost passed out from complete joy...there were very emotional moments of the show - acoustic Resist, between sun and moon, the insane ENCORE. Driving back home and catching them in Scranton the next night and getting the substituted tunes, i was 4th row for that and what a gig.....right in front of Lerxst.

Anytime I think about the band in a negative way or get nitpicky about something, I try and think back to that time and the fact we are extremely lucky to have them touring at all. It always brings me back to reality and my love for the guys and the music is such that rarely does anything irritate me these days about them.

Other than the first set of this current tour....LOL...just kidding...there is very little that I can complain about.....we are all extrememly lucky to have them touring and producing new music. CA is a literally a gift from GOD and i'm going to enjoy it for a long time to come.....I just need to find a way to get to that KS show......just in case....but mostly to see those CA tunes one more time...shit they are GOOD!!!! Rock on.

You are so right, CA is fantastic! I was listening to it again today and it just knocks me out :rush: :haz: . I am so grateful that the Vapor Trails tour happened, just wish I had seen it. But thanks to all who keep sharing their memories...so good :D

Just one more thing, found this interview with Geddy about VT tour has some good stuff..http://cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/scans/2003.01-bass-guitar.pdf

Seems Geddy felt it was a great tour too :geddy: