Vapor Trails Tour Did you go Share your reactions

Rhyta

Ok we have had several threads of everyone stating why they like Vapor Trails the album and those who don't (we know who that is :LOL: ). I would like to hear from TRF folks who went to shows on this tour and hear their reactions to the show and seeing the group again after a long hiatus.

The reason I am posting this is I saw part of an interview with Geddy and Alex where they said it was an emotional tour for them and how people reacted to them. I really would like to hear about it from those who were there.

That's all I am asking for (NOT more talk about how VT the album stinks, please).

So who wants to start off... :Neil: :Alex: :geddy: Tell me how the concert was and your feelings :)

• Like 2

it was fantastic...my favorite tour until Clockwork Angels. Great setlist. I'm grateful that they stuck it out and hit the road one more time. It was emotional. I thought they were finished.

I saw them twice on that tour, but don't remember being overly emotional. The funny thing for me was, I really didn't notice that they were gone for that long at the time. I had just met my future wife in 1999, we got married and moved between then and 2002. Those 3 years were a blur. I can't remember, but I think MFH came out in that time frame and that kept me going for a little while.

I don't really remember how I found out about Neil's tragedies, but I don't recall thinking about it much at the time.

I do remember getting an illegal copy of VT a few weeks before it came out and just being amazed at how awesome it was. It was heavy and Neil's lyrics were amazing.

I saw it on the second stop in Scranton, and because of where I was and what I had access to, didn't know the setlist, so I was totally surprised and thrilled when they pulled a few OLDIES out!

I was also happy that the VT songs came over better in a live situation than in their recorded form.

As far as them being back on the road, I was THRILLED, and pretty much thought that my last experience with the band would have been the Test For Echo tour, where I had AWFUL seats for that show! The other great thing is that I've seen them 8 times (the 9th will be tonight) since the T4E tour! so THAT's a plus!

As far as the show itself The boys played great, it looked like Neil was struggling a little bit towards the end, and he looked wiped out at the end of the show. The guys seemed to play TO him a lot during the night, moreso than I remember seeing prior to that.

It was an awesome tour because I missed T4E. I had just bought my first condo and just couldn't swing it financially. What made it particularly special was the fact that they swung back through Chicago later in the tour, and I got to see them twice. :haz:

It was over 10 years ago so it was somewhat hard to remember. I did like the fact that all albums were represented in the setlist other than Caress Of Steel (my favorite) and Hold Your Fire (one of my least favorite).

Highlights for me included Natural Science, La Villa, and By-Tor. It was also cool seeing/hearing Resist acoustically. A good idea and I hope that they do this again with another tune. Good concept to give Neil a break right after the drum solo.

Anyways, I am a Rush homer and have had a great time at every Rush show that I have been to (even if 90% of the Rush I listen to is from the first album through MP)

Courtesy of the Power Windows site, the setlist was as follows:

Tom Sawyer (with Three Stooges intro)

Distant Early Warning

New World Man

Roll The Bones

Earthshine

YYZ

The Pass

Bravado

The Big Money

Between Sun and Moon or The Trees (BS&M replaced by Trees 9/20 & 9/21 then alternated. Both dropped 11/2 and 11/4, standard rotation back 11/6. Both replaced 11/10 by CTTH)

Vital Signs or Freewill (VS replaced by FW on 8/12 then alternated. Both VS followed by FW played 11/2 and 11/4, standard rotation back 11/6)

Closer To The Heart (original version, added 10/5, 11/20, 11/22, 11/23, replaced BS&M/The Trees on 11/10)

Natural Science (same arrangement as T4E tour)

(-Intermission-)

One Little Victory (with dragon intro)

Driven

Ceiling Unlimited or Ghost Rider (GR replaced CU second night, then alternated. CU dropped permanent after 11/1)

Secret Touch

Dreamline

Red Sector A

Leave That Thing Alone

Rhythm Method (drum solo)

Resist (unplugged)

2112 (Overture/Temples of Syrinx)

Limelight

La Villa Strangiato (parts 2-12, with Lerxst rant)

The Spirit of Radio

Encore: By-Tor and the Snow Dog (abbreviated)->

Cygnus X-1 (prologue)->

Working Man

• Like 1

it was fantastic...my favorite tour until Clockwork Angels. Great setlist. I'm grateful that they stuck it out and hit the road one more time. It was emotional. I thought they were finished.

:eh:

I'm guessing you didn't hit the Time Machine Tour :LOL: That show was top to bottom the best I have ever seen, not only from Rush, but anyone that I have ever seen live. The videos, the setlist, the energy...

VT was pure joy. I saw that tour 3 times. The OLV dragon intro was great, and the crowd loved it at each show I saw.

• Like 1

It was a great show as always from them. They played like they hadn't been off for as long as they were. This was also the last tour where Geddy's voice was still very good and he didn't struggle at all. The set was mainly all older stuff and hits so the crowd was into it. There was silence for the new songs they played but those tunes sounded so much better then on the CD.

I don't recall the crowd reaction being anymore enthusiastic for them at this show then it was the times I've seen them before or after. Rush has always been insanely popular here in Buffalo and the crowds have always been very loud and into the shows. There was really nothing different when it came to that. As a fan I wasn't extra emotional because I never had any doubt the band wouldn't return at some point after what happened to Neil. I listen to a number of bands who take their time between albums/tours so I guess that's another reason their hiatus didn't bother me too much. Thinking back on it now the gap between T4E and VT doesn't really seem like that long of a time at all.

The biggest memory I have of this show is after they played Vital Signs the guy sitting in front of me turned around and asked me "what song was that?" After looking at him for a few seconds like he was an idiot (that was exactly what I thought he was at that time :LOL: ) I told him. Now I know not everyone who goes to shows knows everything the band plays. But if you're going to see Rush, at the very least you should damn well know the seven tracks off Moving Pictures otherwise you shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the venue they're playing at that night.

• Like 2

Let me put it this way - I separated my shoulder from going all gonzo during the show. It hurt for TWO YEARS...... :o I had not seen them in concert since the Presto tour......I was so out-of-my-mind excited to see them again. I haven't missed a tour since.....

My highest points were Earthshine, The Pass, Vital Signs, Natural Science, Ghost Rider, Leave That Thing Alone, 2112, and By-Tor.

This concert in Minneapolis, the 30th Anniversary concert at Radio City Music Hall, and the Time Machine concert in Milwaukee are my Top-3 Shows.

:haz: :haz: :haz:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 4

I was supposed to go to a show on this tour as my very first Rush concert ever... but it didn't happen. :( My brother had bought tickets for the two of us, but his girlfriend at the time came across them and assumed that it was she and he that were supposed to go, even though she didn't really know anything about Rush. I stepped aside in order to not cause a problem, but now really wish I'd stood up and said, hey, no, I'm going, bitch! (But minus the 'bitch' part)

It would have been a tremendous show to have seen... all those lovely songs.... My first show ended up being on the second leg of the S&A tour, which was a very awesome show, but I'll still always think about 'the one that got away'...!

• Like 2

I was supposed to go to a show on this tour as my very first Rush concert ever... but it didn't happen. :( My brother had bought tickets for the two of us, but his girlfriend at the time came across them and assumed that it was she and he that were supposed to go, even though she didn't really know anything about Rush. I stepped aside in order to not cause a problem, but now really wish I'd stood up and said, hey, no, I'm going, bitch! (But minus the 'bitch' part)

It would have been a tremendous show to have seen... all those lovely songs.... My first show ended up being on the second leg of the S&A tour, which was a very awesome show, but I'll still always think about 'the one that got away'...!

I'm glad you were able to see them on the S & A tour!

Edited by frippy

I'm glad you were able to see them on the S & A tour!

Your brother, is he still with the girlfriend? Just curious.

I hadn't seen them since the 80s and had pretty much lost interest in them for a long time after listening to HYF. But I had brought and liked Vapor Trails and decided to see them again.

I saw them at Staples Center. Not a great venue sound wise. The show was great though. I was disappointed that they only played 4 new songs. Back in the 80s they had always played most of their new records and I was expecting the same. No Ghost Rider that night. No Freeze. No Vapor Trail. Would have enjoyed hearing those, particularly in place of songs like Roll the Bones and The Big Money.

Highlight was definitely them playing Natural Science. I was unaware they brought it back on the TFE tour and wan't expecting it at all. Wasn't thrilled with the encore at the time, but it holds up when I watch Rush in Rio.

Alex's rant that night was about meat bees and it was thoroughly bizarre. Cracked me up.

Edited by ZivotSon

Many were worried they might not tour again after the 4 years off, so so glad they did or I wouldn't have seen them on R30. Geddy and Alex both seemed to be concerned that was a possibility in the interview I saw and in Beyond the Lighted Stage if I recall. Thanks for sharing and I hope I can agree with you on Clockwork Angels, July can't come soon enough :dweez: :rush: :haz:

• Like 1

Alex's rant that night was about meat bees and it was thoroughly bizarre. Cracked me up.

I still remember Alex's rant from the first show I saw from that tour. He was dreaming about being attacked by food, including a giant marshmallow. He had to eat the attacking food to survive, but when he woke up, his pillow was gone! :LMAO:

• Like 1

I know what you mean, I saw R30 and then didn't catch TM or S&A (for various reasons :sigh: ). That's why I am so excited for Clockwork Angels, really want to see them. :drool:

Vapor Trails was my first Rush tour, I saw two shows. West Palm Beach on Oct. 13 (?) 2002 and Atlanta (Philips Arena) 2 nights later.

I didn't have great seats, had to watch the video screens to see what was going on, but I didn't care. The songs that really stood out for me were:

Bravado (brought me to the edge of tears)

OLV (the whole songs attitude just screamed "we're back!!")

Earthshine (what a riff and yet beautiful)

Red Sector A (a longtime fave, and the video made it even more powerful)

The Pass (sang along to this so loudly, a guy 2 rows ahead turned around and nodded at me)

Natural Science (Mind. Blown.)

And just to confirm the fact that Atlantans are crappy fans for attending, well, anything :eyeroll: , at that show I could hear from several angles nearby people showing up late and asking what :rush: had opened with. Of course, this was the tour that opened with Tom Sawyer :oops: Served them right for dicking around :LOL:

At the W Palm Beach show I bought a white VT tour shirt with fireball on front and tour dates on back. I still have it and wear it :cool:

• Like 3

I was 10th row Lerxst side at the Hartford show.

I wasn't overly emotional but it was really great to have RUSH back again. You could tell that the band were emotional in that maybe the dark days were finally behind them...no tears or anything, but more like "Gosh it's great to be back" expressions.

It was a great show, and a great experience as a RUSH fan.

Saw them 2 more times on that tour Tampa and West Palm, had 5th and 3rd row respectively. Remember both to be awesome shows. Great set list and the band was in better form than in Hartford (little more practice ya know).

It was a great tour.

Well it was emotional for me because my dad died a few days before my show. I endedup going, and I'd say the most emotional/powerful moment was during Bravado when they had the bird flying animation. Seemed so fitting, since he'd been trapped so long in a diseased body. It was just one of those moments, ya know? One of the highlights was getting Ceiling Unlimited, which I believe was dropped not long after my show.

I'm sure by the show I had heard of tragedy befalling Neil, but I don't remember knowing the depth of his hell, nor was I aware that Rush became defunct for a short time while he was on the healing road. I thought it was more of an extended break for Rush. I did not have much internet access back then, and relied on music mags for news.

Great great tour, for many reasons, but it was hard to top their first An Evening With TFE tour and 2112 in its entirety. That's still a tough tour to top, ever since.

• Like 3

The Vapor Trails tour was emotinal for all of us, the boys and the fans. Before that, they did not know if they would be touring again. And we did not know if we would ever see them play on stage again.

But, after a long hiatus, there they were again. So there we were again. Like a family split apart for a bit, then reuniting, and picking up right were we all let off.

The size of the crowds proved we were still extatic about seeing them. And the first notes played proved that they still had it, better then ever.

3 hours of bliss for all. Great show. Lots of excitment on and off the stage. The best music out there. Great setlist.

A truely amazing experience.

And we reminded them, if they play it, we will come....

• Like 2

The Vapor Trails tour was emotinal for all of us, the boys and the fans. Before that, they did not know if they would be touring again. And we did not know if we would ever see them play on stage again.

But, after a long hiatus, there they were again. So there we were again. Like a family split apart for a bit, then reuniting, and picking up right were we all let off.

The size of the crowds proved we were still extatic about seeing them. And the first notes played proved that they still had it, better then ever.

3 hours of bliss for all. Great show. Lots of excitment on and off the stage. The best music out there. Great setlist.

A truely amazing experience.

And we reminded them, if they play it, we will come....

And as long as they realize it! (Which I think they do)

That was a great comeback tour as far as I'm concerned...I honestly thought that Test for Echo was it, and was getting used to the fact that I'd only get to see them four times...Thank GOD that wasn't the case!

Saw it at The Gorge in like row 25 dead center. Those factors alone starts it toward being an excellent show. On top of that I felt the performance was very good and loved the setlist. It's tied with my front row TMT concert as my 2 fav Rush shows................BTW, the audio boot from the VT show I'm referring to called Gorge Rider was voted the 2002 Rush ROIO of the year. Well worth finding a copy.
  • Like 1

This was a very memorable amazing show for many reasons. It was my first rush show. It was their first show in Edmonton in like 13 years. I had 6 row floors in front of Geddy. I never really thought I would ever get the chance to see them after that wait. The setlist was a great mix. TS and then DEW got the crowd into it right off the bat. If I would have know what I missed if I didn't go it would bother me forever.
  • Like 1