The Perfect Job

Amy Farrah Fowler

First, that's so awesome for you! What a wonderful feeling that must be for you! What is it you're doing? I think it's tremendous when life and job can match up, when you can earn money doing something that you enjoy.

In answer to your question, no, I don't think I really care for my job. I work in a restaurant as a bit of everything - manager, server, bartender... even janitor at nights to make extra money (but I can listen to Rush at the same time, so kind of a win with that one...). I like the social aspect of the job, as with being around people and meeting cool people (though sometimes dealing with very not-nice people that seem to feel they can be abundantly rude if a small aspect of their meal isn't perfect...). I'm not an extremely social person, and this job gives me a good dose of my social needs. But it's just a j-o-b. It's not what I want to do with my life, and I've spent way more time with it than I really ought to have. There's been tremendous (second time I've used this word in this post...) upheaval at work, too, and my job is probably in jeopardy right now, but other than the necessitation of money coming in, I don't really care if I end up losing my job. And that's not a good way to earn a living. Apathy never led anyone to success, did it?

Anyway, I'm always happy to hear of someone working with something that enables saying, "I love my job!" I hope you continue to have an awesome time, and keep smiling, and, of course, whistle while you work! :)

• Like 1

I don't have a job at the moment, but my perfect job would be able to live off my music. I'm holding on to that dream like there's no tomorrow. I can't be bothered to keep interest or having a good work ethic, if what I'm doing doesn't interest me. But things that interest me and I want to pursue, I could work myself to death for :)

First, that's so awesome for you! What a wonderful feeling that must be for you! What is it you're doing? I think it's tremendous when life and job can match up, when you can earn money doing something that you enjoy.

In answer to your question, no, I don't think I really care for my job. I work in a restaurant as a bit of everything - manager, server, bartender... even janitor at nights to make extra money (but I can listen to Rush at the same time, so kind of a win with that one...). I like the social aspect of the job, as with being around people and meeting cool people (though sometimes dealing with very not-nice people that seem to feel they can be abundantly rude if a small aspect of their meal isn't perfect...). I'm not an extremely social person, and this job gives me a good dose of my social needs. But it's just a j-o-b. It's not what I want to do with my life, and I've spent way more time with it than I really ought to have. There's been tremendous (second time I've used this word in this post...) upheaval at work, too, and my job is probably in jeopardy right now, but other than the necessitation of money coming in, I don't really care if I end up losing my job. And that's not a good way to earn a living. Apathy never led anyone to success, did it?

Anyway, I'm always happy to hear of someone working with something that enables saying, "I love my job!" I hope you continue to have an awesome time, and keep smiling, and, of course, whistle while you work! :)

I waited tables for mere months and it wasn't for me...I can empathize with you on that point. I've been a secretary, a professional photographer (which would be the dream if 1) I had a boatload of clients and 2) if I had staff so I only had to take photos, a waitress, a webmistress, a graphic designer for retail stores...

My job as a mom comes first and I love being a mom. However, I just started working as the Christian Education Administrator at my church and I feel it's where I belong. I get to use my organizational and creative skills and get paid for all the things I've wanted to volunteer for in the past.

• Like 3

I don't have a job at the moment, but my perfect job would be able to live off my music. I'm holding on to that dream like there's no tomorrow. I can't be bothered to keep interest or having a good work ethic, if what I'm doing doesn't interest me. But things that interest me and I want to pursue, I could work myself to death for :)

As a fellow artist, I hear ya. I wish I could take photos and have money thrown at me. I'm very good at what I do, but there just isn't a market around here because it is so saturated with bush league fauxtographers. :(

I waited tables for mere months and it wasn't for me...I can empathize with you on that point. I've been a secretary, a professional photographer (which would be the dream if 1) I had a boatload of clients and 2) if I had staff so I only had to take photos, a waitress, a webmistress, a graphic designer for retail stores...

My job as a mom comes first and I love being a mom. However, I just started working as the Christian Education Administrator at my church and I feel it's where I belong. I get to use my organizational and creative skills and get paid for all the things I've wanted to volunteer for in the past.

Amy, that sounds wonderful and I wish you the best!

My job isn't what I want to do with my life but I do enjoy it.

When I was in my early 20's I fell in love with jewelry and took classes from the GIA (Gemological Institute of America) and worked for a very famous, high-end jewelry store for nearly 5 years until I was laid off in 2009. :( I was doing exactly what I wanted to with my life so I was devastated when they let me and most of my co-workers go. But that's when I moved to where I am now to be with my then-boyfriend and sadly the local jewelry stores in our little town are all run by the owners, who work there daily and do not require my assistance, haha.

I'm at a place where I've had to re-evaluate my life and what I want to do. When I was little I really wanted to be a doctor. But now that I'm 30 and married that dream seems so far away. Also if I were accepted into a med school my husband and I would have to relocate which means he would most-likely lose a huge chunk of his retirement and we are not willing to risk that. So I've been looking into nursing school, which we have locally. I should be an RN within the next 5 years, if not sooner. Maybe someday I will go for Nurse Practitioner.

Anyway, to answer your question. Yes I do enjoy my current job, I work at a hotel where I basically run the front desk on my own and even though I don't make nearly as much as I did 4 years ago we get a lot of bonuses and whatnot.

Ladies,

I think I have finally found the perfect job. I just started this week and I've never enjoyed a profession quite so much.

Anyone else out there really enjoy their work?

I am very fortunate. I love my career. My job can annoy me at times, but I really enjoy my career, even after 24 years. I mainly do systems programming on IBM mainframe computers, but I also work with routing and switching on data and voice networks. The mainframe has always been my first love though. It does take a certain mindset to succeed in this career, and it is not for everyone.

I remember my step-father telling me that if you can do a job and you can't believe they are paying you to do it, that is a great indicator you are in the right career. And, that is the way I feel to this day; I still can't believe I get paid to do what I do (unless my employer is reading this, in which case, you're not paying me enough to do this job! :madra: ).

Here's some boring quotes that roughly describe what I do. I added the bold ... to make it exciting! :yay:

Mainframes in our midst: You use one every day

Most of us with some personal computer (PC) literacy and sufficient funds can purchase a notebook computer and quickly put it to good use— running software, browsing Web sites, and perhaps even writing papers for college professors to grade. With somewhat greater effort and technical prowess, we can delve more deeply into the various facilities of a typical Intel-based workstation and learn its capabilities through direct, hands-on experience— with or without help from any of a multitude of readily available information sources in print or on the Web.

Mainframes, however, tend to be hidden from the public eye. They do their jobs dependably— indeed, with almost total reliability— and are highly resistant to most forms of insidious abuse that afflict PCs, such as e-mail-borne viruses and Trojan Horses. By performing stably, quietly, and with negligible downtime, mainframes are the example by which all other computers are judged. But at the same time, this lack of attention tends to allow them to fade into the background.

and from: http://publib.boulde...sysprogrole.htm

The system programmer performs such tasks as the following:

• Planning hardware and software system upgrades and changes in configuration
  • Training system operators and application programmers
  • Automating operations
  • Capacity planning
  • Running installation jobs and scripts
  • Performing installation-specific customization tasks
  • Integration-testing the new products with existing applications and user procedures
  • System-wide performance tuning to meet required levels of service

• Like 1

Ladies,

I think I have finally found the perfect job. I just started this week and I've never enjoyed a profession quite so much.

Anyone else out there really enjoy their work?

Congratulations- that's awesome, to be loving what you do all day long.

• Like 1

I'm going for an interview for a millwright job in a brewery tomorrow.. Apparently they give employees a charge card for free beer.. About $100 per month.. do I win?? Lol
  • Like 2

I wouldn't call it perfect, but it's better than flipping burgers. Since the end of August my workload has doubled. I'm doing enough work for 2 people now. But today there was some good news. I got a raise.

• Like 1

When I was working (retired now) I really loved my job. I was a librarian for almost 40 years in different areas but all behind the scenes. Making systems work right, designing new ones, maintaining data bases of various sizes up to humongous. I love solving puzzles, figuring out how things go wrong and fixing them. I was a manager of 14 people for a while and did a lot of travel and public speaking. When I moved to Oz I got a job at the National Library being just another cataloguer. I still managed to find problems to solve that nobody else was willing to do. I almost hated to retire but my health demanded it.
  • Like 2

I wouldn't call it perfect, but it's better than flipping burgers. Since the end of August my workload has doubled. I'm doing enough work for 2 people now. But today there was some good news. I got a raise.

http://youtu.be/xe_iCkFsQKE

Congrats, Boots !! Have fun spending some of it!

I think, and feel that I've had two great jobs, so far. One of them was working at Bell Canada in the stationary, and bindery departments for two years, when, and while I lived in Ottawa for two, and a half, or three years, and the other one was working at New Starts Unlimited as a receptionist, and or secretary for two years, when, and while I lived in Abbotsford. It was the type of government funding company to help people try to get jobs.
  • Like 2