Initializations Out of Hand

mrvander

I think what the naysayers fail to see is that it's not a "don't use initializations" complaint. Rather, it's about having the common sense to know when an initialization/abbreviation is appropriate to use. Extreme arguments are no argument at all. When you type FBI, NSA or CIA, or IRS, or acronyms like RADAR - these are items in the common vernacular. To initialize any and every proper name is simply ridiculous and only proves one has no filter when writing.

I see no issue abbreviating the album titles. Those are understood on a site such as this. When people start abbreviating song titles, it gets a little annoying, unless it is extremely obvious, like FoL or TSOR. I was looking at a thread and saw MP. Had to look back a ways thru the thread to figure out they were talking about Manhattan Project.

What's FoL?

My thought exactly :)

19 minutes that remove all doubt as to whether the guys in Rush ever did drugs.

Well, shouldn't it be TFoL?

I think what the naysayers fail to see is that it's not a "don't use initializations" complaint. Rather, it's about having the common sense to know when an initialization/abbreviation is appropriate to use. Extreme arguments are no argument at all. When you type FBI, NSA or CIA, or IRS, or acronyms like RADAR - these are items in the common vernacular. To initialize any and every proper name is simply ridiculous and only proves one has no filter when writing.

I see no issue abbreviating the album titles. Those are understood on a site such as this. When people start abbreviating song titles, it gets a little annoying, unless it is extremely obvious, like FoL or TSOR. I was looking at a thread and saw MP. Had to look back a ways thru the thread to figure out they were talking about Manhattan Project.

What's FoL?

:yes:

And for the record. It is way easier to type AFTK, and everyone knows what it means. When you start abbv. songs, that's when things get dicey.

What's FoL?

:yes:

And for the record. It is way easier to type AFTK, and everyone knows what it means. When you start abbv. songs, that's when things get dicey.

Maybe that's where the line is drawn then? Someone should post up a newbie-key so everyone knows PeW isn't a smelly blaster shot.

• Like 1

Why is "abbreviation" such a long word?

Why do you drive on a parkway and park in a driveway?

What's the deal with lampshades? I mean if it's a lamp, why do you want shade?

I bought some powdered water, but I don't know what to add to it.

Sorry, I mixed Seinfeld in with Steven Wright... I have seen SW live 4 times, he is great.

Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

I love SW's delivery. His content is pretty good, too!

"I spilled some spot-remover on my dog...and he disappeared."

Sorry, I mixed Seinfeld in with Steven Wright... I have seen SW live 4 times, he is great.

"I bought some used paint...It was in the shape of a house."

"I bought some used paint...It was in the shape of a house."

"I bought some batteries, but they weren't included.

So I had to buy them again."

So, maybe I'm just an old fart, but does everyone really need to initialize every Rush title/proper name instead of just typing it out? Is time so precious you can't type Clockwork Angels instead of CA or Geddy Lee instead of GL? Heck I just read a freaking post where the poster initialized The Necromancer as "TN". Really?

Perhaps those doing so may one day realize it actually takes people reading these posts more time to translate WTF you mean instead of just typing like a normal human (see what i did there?)

Old people, lazy people, and inflexible people suck.

So, maybe I'm just an old fart, but does everyone really need to initialize every Rush title/proper name instead of just typing it out? Is time so precious you can't type Clockwork Angels instead of CA or Geddy Lee instead of GL? Heck I just read a freaking post where the poster initialized The Necromancer as "TN". Really?

Perhaps those doing so may one day realize it actually takes people reading these posts more time to translate WTF you mean instead of just typing like a normal human (see what i did there?)

So does your Mom, that's what led to you after all.

I haven't slept for ten days... because that would be too long.

A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer.

I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.

When someone tries to hand me out a flyer, it's kind of like they're saying, "Here, you throw this away."

Rice is great when you're hungry and you want 2,000 of something.

I like Kit Kats, unless I'm with four or more people.

The last time I called 'shotgun', we had rented a limo, so I f*ked up.

I think foosball is a combination of soccer and shish kabobs.

... We need a whole thread of these!! ;)

Mitch Hedberg RIP. best comedian ever!!

P/G throws me off every time. I think Grace Under Pressure not which is G before P not after P

Not if you look at it like a fraction :)

Pressure

-------------

Grace

Grace is Under the word Pressure.... Grace Under Pressure.... P/G as a horizontally written fraction.

I don't like it - just explaining it.

My wife looks at it like it's a fraction but that just makes me insecure and hurts my feelings. Edited by snowdogged
  • Like 1

So how do we initialize 2112?

2?

TT?

ToT?

TOOT?

TTOHaT?

We must type it out like we did in fourth grade math. two thousand one hundred and twelve

2?

TT?

ToT?

TOOT?

TTOHaT?

MMCXII

;) ;) ;)

• Like 2

2?

TT?

ToT?

TOOT?

TTOHaT?

We must type it out like we did in fourth grade math. two thousand one hundred and twelve

Point of order, sir! There is no "and" when naming whole numbers. Two thousand one hundred twelve is the correct way.

[/grammar control freak] ;)

• Like 3

QFT

2?

TT?

ToT?

TOOT?

TTOHaT?

Point of order, sir! There is no "and" when naming whole numbers. Two thousand one hundred twelve is the correct way.

Now you tell me!

I'll have to check to see if the invitations to my first wedding said "nineteen hundred and eighty nine" I could have the marriage annulled and maybe get a refund on the alimony I paid!

• Like 2

2?

TT?

ToT?

TOOT?

TTOHaT?

Worst post of the entire thread.

2112 is already an abbreviation that you have been using your entire Rush life. It's so obvious, I'm not even going to bother telling you what 2112 really stands for.

2?

TT?

ToT?

TOOT?

TTOHaT?

MMCXII

;) ;) ;)

Best post of the entire thread!

2?

TT?

ToT?

TOOT?

TTOHaT?

Tell that to Paul McCartney's song Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five.

2?

TT?

ToT?

TOOT?

TTOHaT?

That song is 1900.85 though. He sings correctly

2?

TT?

ToT?

TOOT?

TTOHaT?

Are you saying Paul goes both ways? :unsure:

2?

TT?

ToT?

TOOT?

TTOHaT?

both ways around a decimal point

2?

TT?

ToT?

TOOT?

TTOHaT?

both ways around a decimal point

McCartney is an Englishman. What does he know? ;)

• Like 1