Initializations Out of Hand

mrvander

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the VP is such a VIP, shouldn't we keep the PC on the QT, 'cause if it leaks to the VC...he could end up an MIA, and then we'd all be put on KP. ;) ;)
  • Like 2

Excellent thread! This subject is one of my pet peeves. I guess I'm a grammar Nazi, but I'm old school I guess, even though I'm gen X. Anyways, if you got something to say, say it. Words mean things.

I don't text, and, in fact, had it blocked, because people would text all day, but never call. I don't have a Facebook page, either, which drives people bonkers. Birthday wishes and Happy "fill in the blank" Day don't count on Facebook!

Excellent thread! This subject is one of my pet peeves. I guess I'm a grammar Nazi, but I'm old school I guess, even though I'm gen X. Anyways, if you got something to say, say it. Words mean things.

I don't text, and, in fact, had it blocked, because people would text all day, but never call. I don't have a Facebook page, either, which drives people bonkers. Birthday wishes and Happy "fill in the blank" Day don't count on Facebook!

For a grammar Nazi you're awfully comma happy. ;)

Yes I do wish people would just spell out titles and whatnot. Sometimes I get confused and have no idea what they're talking about. I guess I'm just not as "hardcore".
  • Like 1

I'm still on Facebook, though many times over I have thought of deleting my profile. A lot of people have become lazy, and instead of sending birthday invitations, or birthday cards, by mail, they more often than not just post it on Facebook. That to me is much impersonal, and would it hurt people to actually grap a pen and write on a piece of card or paper? I hope not :)

For a grammar Nazi you're awfully comma happy. ;)

Also, would a grammar Nazi use a word like "anyways"?

So, maybe I'm just an old fart, but does everyone really need to initialize every Rush title/proper name instead of just typing it out? Is time so precious you can't type Clockwork Angels instead of CA or Geddy Lee instead of GL? Heck I just read a freaking post where the poster initialized The Necromancer as "TN". Really?

Perhaps those doing so may one day realize it actually takes people reading these posts more time to translate WTF you mean instead of just typing like a normal human (see what i did there?)

I don't know. Can you change your name to mister vander? I'm tired of seeing mr

Well, you wouldn't know this, but those are actually my initials - not the shortened version of the word "Mister" - my first two names being Matthew Ray, hence "MR". The entire handle comes from my "LAN ID" at my workplace of 15 years which is an eight character ID for anyone working there, consisting of the first two initials and the first six characters of the last name. So it's just something I'm used to typing for over a decade.

Good try, though. :tongue:

I'm on the side of typing things out in full as well, but I must admit for album names on a Rush forum, in the Rush section of the board, I would think that album names are fine to abbreviate, especially since many posts tend to talk about a full album. When you refer to the Federal Bureau of intelligence of Central Intelligence Agency do you type them out or do you write FBI or CIA? How about verbally? So many organizations are referred to by their abbreviations all over the forum. What about when talking about the US national policies like SOPA, CISPA? Is time so precious that we can't type out a few more words? No but we do it anyway.

That being said... my favourite album is PeW PeW PeW :bang bang:

I do agree with this, hence that's why my title is they're getting "out of hand". I just thought I'd post when I finally saw the Necromancer as "TN". But on a Rush forum, learning a couple dozen or so common or agreed upon initializations of album titles isn't too bad, it's when EVERYTHING gets initialized to the point of uselessness.

"I really like listening to S on S. C and C are both pretty good from S as well. I also really enjoy A from C. Not to be confused with A from P/G."

So, maybe I'm just an old fart, but does everyone really need to initialize every Rush title/proper name instead of just typing it out? Is time so precious you can't type Clockwork Angels instead of CA or Geddy Lee instead of GL? Heck I just read a freaking post where the poster initialized The Necromancer as "TN". Really?

Perhaps those doing so may one day realize it actually takes people reading these posts more time to translate WTF you mean instead of just typing like a normal human (see what i did there?)

Well, you wouldn't know this, but those are actually my initials - not the shortened version of the word "Mister" - my first two names being Matthew Ray, hence "MR". The entire handle comes from my "LAN ID" at my workplace of 15 years which is an eight character ID for anyone working there, consisting of the first two initials and the first six characters of the last name. So it's just something I'm used to typing for over a decade.

You do realize that this is actually twice as odious to the "hate abbreviations" crowd, right?.

You do realize that this is actually twice as odious to the "hate abbreviations" crowd, right?.

Sure do! Just like to keep my posts going! :gumby:

Batman and Robin's favourite Rush album is PoW!

http://helium.lunarpages.com/~funky4/pictures/batman.JPG

• Like 1

Why is "abbreviation" such a long word?

Why do you drive on a parkway and park in a driveway?

What's the deal with lampshades? I mean if it's a lamp, why do you want shade?

I sure do! I just like to keep my posts going! :gumby:

Fixed

I bought some powdered water, but I don't know what to add to it.

Sorry, I mixed Seinfeld in with Steven Wright... I have seen SW live 4 times, he is great.

Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

I think what the naysayers fail to see is that it's not a "don't use initializations" complaint. Rather, it's about having the common sense to know when an initialization/abbreviation is appropriate to use. Extreme arguments are no argument at all. When you type FBI, NSA or CIA, or IRS, or acronyms like RADAR - these are items in the common vernacular. To initialize any and every proper name is simply ridiculous and only proves one has no filter when writing.

I think what the naysayers fail to see is that it's not a "don't use initializations" complaint. Rather, it's about having the common sense to know when an initialization/abbreviation is appropriate to use. Extreme arguments are no argument at all. When you type FBI, NSA or CIA, or IRS, or acronyms like RADAR - these are items in the common vernacular. To initialize any and every proper name is simply ridiculous and only proves one has no filter when writing.

I see no issue abbreviating the album titles. Those are understood on a site such as this. When people start abbreviating song titles, it gets a little annoying, unless it is extremely obvious, like FoL or TSOR. I was looking at a thread and saw MP. Had to look back a ways thru the thread to figure out they were talking about Manhattan Project.

Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

It doesn't matter what temperature a room is. It's always room temperature.

I see no issue abbreviating the album titles. Those are understood on a site such as this. When people start abbreviating song titles, it gets a little annoying, unless it is extremely obvious, like FoL or TSOR. I was looking at a thread and saw MP. Had to look back a ways thru the thread to figure out they were talking about Manhattan Project.

What's FoL?

What's FoL?

My thought exactly :)

What's FoL?

My thought exactly :)

19 minutes that remove all doubt as to whether the guys in Rush ever did drugs.

• Like 5