Initializations Out of Hand

mrvander

So, maybe I'm just an old fart, but does everyone really need to initialize every Rush title/proper name instead of just typing it out? Is time so precious you can't type Clockwork Angels instead of CA or Geddy Lee instead of GL? Heck I just read a freaking post where the poster initialized The Necromancer as "TN". Really?

Perhaps those doing so may one day realize it actually takes people reading these posts more time to translate WTF you mean instead of just typing like a normal human (see what i did there?)

Edited by mrvander
  • Like 7

Well I can understand it being annoying sometimes, but it becomes tempting to use when writing a large comment and you come to a long title, generally I try to write the title in full the first time I use it in a post then abbreviate it afterward. Yeah, the song abbreviations are silly, except for The Spirit of Radio, as TSOR, but the album abbreviations I find quite helpful

I'm kind of old-school in this way, too, in that I like proper spelling and grammar and punctuation and all that fun (but for most people boring) stuff. I cringe over a lot of 'textese', where abbreviations and acronyms are rampant; my mother-in-law often texts me bizarre messages that take me a little while to figure out, because she uses pretty random abbreviations and mispells a lot of things in her haste. I'm not a big texter, actually, probably partly because I end up typing everything out 'the long way' instead of taking shortcuts, thus texting takes me a while.

Anyway, there are some abbreviations in the Rush world that kind of make sense, like the afore-mentioned 'TSOR' for 'The Spirit of Radio'. When I first started visiting here, there were some that threw me off a bit - I didn't know what 'PoW' was at first, for example, or 'NS' ('Natural Science'). I think abbreviations in this sense can be ok, as long as they make sense and don't get too jumbled - too many in a cluster starts getting a little confusing.

I'm probably not the best one to give an objective opinion on this, though, seeing as I tend to always punctuate up the ying-yang - single-quotes for songs ('The Necromancer') and italics for albums (Vapor Trails). Well, at least 'TSOR' from PeW kind of makes more sense than TSOR from PeW... I think....:P

Anyway, mrvander, you are not alone! (cue, "Mystic rhythms....")

So, maybe I'm just an old fart, but does everyone really need to initialize every Rush title/proper name instead of just typing it out? Is time so precious you can't type Clockwork Angels instead of CA or Geddy Lee instead of GL? Heck I just read a freaking post where the poster initialized The Necromancer as "TN". Really?

Perhaps those doing so may one day realize it actually takes people reading these posts more time to translate WTF you mean instead of just typing like a normal human (see what i did there?)

TL;DR

• Like 3

I am definitely on the side of actually typing out full words rather than using strings of capital letters. Using strings of capital letters instead of words strikes me as hostile and exclusionary, as it demands the learning and memorisation not only of an extensive set of references but also of patterns of interconnectedness of those references before one can be able to even begin to make sense of what people in a particular community are saying. But then, maybe that's what some people want -- to make sure that only certain people will easily understand what they are saying, and to put off and drive away people who aren't equipped to spend sometimes considerable extra time deciphering it.
  • Like 1

Is just the age we live in bud and it isnt going to change.. I find myself using the odd abbreviations in internet posts and mobile txts but try to find a balance and not go overboard.

Regarding clockwork angels i always use 'the title track' for the song and CA for the album itself... Something like the albums AFTK and VT are obvious and perfectly acceptable terms i think. We all know what they mean.

• Like 1

Whenever I read PeW, my initial reaction is that it sounds like an exclamation someone would make after noticing a bad smell. "Pew! there's a nasty whiff in the air!"

Surely it can't be the panties on the cover, 'cause (CoS?) they look quite clean.

• Like 5

P/G throws me off every time. I think Grace Under Pressure not which is G before P not after P

Not if you look at it like a fraction :)

Pressure

-------------

Grace

Grace is Under the word Pressure.... Grace Under Pressure.... P/G as a horizontally written fraction.

I don't like it - just explaining it.

Whenever I read PeW, my initial reaction is that it sounds like an exclamation someone would make after noticing a bad smell. "Pew! there's a nasty whiff in the air!"

Surely it can't be the panties on the cover, 'cause (CoS?) they look quite clean.

See, for me, I always hear the sound of a small laser gun or something along the lines of that.

pewpewpewpew :bang bang:

:LOL:

• Like 5

Well, that makes us two old farts. There are some times where I don't have a clue, so I never initialize titles or names myself.

• Like 1

Well, that makes us two old farts. There are some times where I don't have a clue, so I never initialize titles or names myself.

Three.

• Like 1

See, for me, I always hear the sound of a small laser gun or something along the lines of that.

:LOL: That works too :yes:

MAAN, as Shakespeare once said.

THANK YOU!!!! I thought I was crazy!

And yes, I agree, I hate it when people use abbreviations.

• Like 1

I'm on the side of typing things out in full as well, but I must admit for album names on a Rush forum, in the Rush section of the board, I would think that album names are fine to abbreviate, especially since many posts tend to talk about a full album. When you refer to the Federal Bureau of intelligence of Central Intelligence Agency do you type them out or do you write FBI or CIA? How about verbally? So many organizations are referred to by their abbreviations all over the forum. What about when talking about the US national policies like SOPA, CISPA? Is time so precious that we can't type out a few more words? No but we do it anyway.

That being said... my favourite album is PeW PeW PeW :bang bang:

• Like 1

P/G throws me off every time. I think Grace Under Pressure not which is G before P not after P

Not if you look at it like a fraction :)

Pressure

-------------

Grace

Grace is Under the word Pressure.... Grace Under Pressure.... P/G as a horizontally written fraction.

I don't like it - just explaining it.

I understand it but it's still weird as hell.

I don't know. Can you change your name to mister vander? I'm tired of seeing mr

Edited by Ancient Ways
  • Like 3

:clap:

I'm on the side of typing things out in full as well, but I must admit for album names on a Rush forum, in the Rush section of the board, I would think that album names are fine to abbreviate, especially since many posts tend to talk about a full album. When you refer to the Federal Bureau of intelligence of Central Intelligence Agency do you type them out or do you write FBI or CIA? How about verbally? So many organizations are referred to by their abbreviations all over the forum. What about when talking about the US national policies like SOPA, CISPA? Is time so precious that we can't type out a few more words? No but we do it anyway.

That being said... my favourite album is PeW PeW PeW :bang bang:

:goodone: :ebert: :LOL:

Touche!!! Well done AW's

Nice one! I laughed out loud at this post!