101 Best Written TV Series Of All Time

ReRushed

and yes, I love bacon, chocolate, pizza, etc. and this is all coming from someone who thinks tales from topographic oceans is the best yes album, simply because other people dont.

i don't think it's the best album because other people don't. i like it because it's their best album. ;)

But JB only hates Friends because it was popular.... I'm so confused!

Join the club. :P

So it's ok for you to like something that's not popular because you like it, not to be contrary to everyone else... but if JB doesn't like Friends... he's only doing it because he wants to be contrary.

OK, I think I follow now.

do you? could you explain it to me. oh, you just did. i still don't get it. ;)

If you really believe that then you truly are being a stubborn bastard as I've already explained that I like many popular shows. Hell, my favorite movie is likely the most widely accepted movie (by fans AND critics) of all time: Shawshank Redemption. That alone makes the theory a pile of nonsense. As far as those shows listed I would definitely have Twilight Zone, All in the Family, and Sopranos in the top 5 (just not in that list's same order). And what shows have been more popular than those? Not many. So where does the Contary/Rebellious Theory come into play there? It doesn't.

Anyway, back to that lovely show with all the fantastic characters and plots....I loved how they often were spending their time in that cafe. It was so hip and realistic. My real life friends often acted in the same way as they did, quoted their lines, and followed their fashion trends. And I loved them for it. I think I'm going to download the theme song onto my phone so that I can hear it every time I get a text or call

i'm glad friends is working its way into your heart. :P

yes, I'm searching ebay now for every piece of memorabilia possible.

I'm sure you won't answer but seriously, I have to ask: Why is it hard for you to accept that others don't like something regardless of popularity? You do. You like FRIENDS because of the characters, etc. and not because it was popular. And you like obscure Ukranian prog rock minstrels from the late 60s even though they were not popular.

regardless of reasons, you and many others here (often MOST people here) seem to passionately hate so many things that are really popular. it is what it is, and whatever.

Yeah, I didn't think you'd answer. So, I should like anything that's popular even if I don't actually like it, right? That's what your premise seems to be. Ok, got it. Oh, do like EVERYTHING that's popular? f***ing of course not!!!

The point that you seem to be laboring about is that I don't care about popularity. For every thing I dislike that's popular there are several things that I DO like that ARE popular. But I said that already. So, I'll change my ways....from here on out anything that's popular, I'll like.

House should be way higher. That show was written fantastically. Sex and the City made the list? Really? I'm pleased Battlestar Galactica made the list as in my opinion that transcends the genre of science fiction and is one of the greatest of the 21st century.

I agree that Battlestar Galactica (not the 70's version, obviously :P ) transcends the genre. I think of it as THE science-fiction show for people who don't like science-fiction.

Exactly! I've been trying to tell people how not nerdy it is. I'm a massive science fiction fan and was expecting it to be in the same vain as Star Trek, Farscape and other shows like that. It wasn't but it was still awesome. I describe it as TopGun in space with robots.

except 500 times better than top gun! :P

it's really the dramatic aspects of the story and the characters/psychology/relationships that take it well beyond the genre.

Great to see RDM's BSG get some love. It is the second highest ranked sci-fi on the list, edged by ST:TOS. To me, RDM's BSG is the greatest sci-fi show ever written and I am a big sci-fi fan. I had to watch from the BSG mini-series to get the complete picture, but once I did, I was absolutely enthralled. Everyone I've shown it to (I own the complete series) has loved it regardless of whether they are sci-fi fans or not. The writing and acting are simply superb and it transcends the genre.

http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/galactica/cylon/cylon002.gif

Of course, my opinion of the show isn't evident from my signature ... or location ... or member title ... ;)

House should be way higher. That show was written fantastically. Sex and the City made the list? Really? I'm pleased Battlestar Galactica made the list as in my opinion that transcends the genre of science fiction and is one of the greatest of the 21st century.

I agree that Battlestar Galactica (not the 70's version, obviously :P ) transcends the genre. I think of it as THE science-fiction show for people who don't like science-fiction.

Exactly! I've been trying to tell people how not nerdy it is. I'm a massive science fiction fan and was expecting it to be in the same vain as Star Trek, Farscape and other shows like that. It wasn't but it was still awesome. I describe it as TopGun in space with robots.

it's really the dramatic aspects of the story and the characters/psychology/relationships that take it well beyond the genre.

Great to see RDM's BSG get some love. It is the second highest ranked sci-fi on the list, edged by ST:TOS. To me, RDM's BSG is the greatest sci-fi show ever written and I am a big sci-fi fan. I had to watch from the BSG mini-series to get the complete picture, but once I did, I was absolutely enthralled. Everyone I've shown it to (I own the complete series) has loved it regardless of whether they are sci-fi fans or not. The writing and acting are simply superb and it transcends the genre.

Of course, my opinion of the show isn't evident from my signature ... or location ... or member title ... ;)

my fave sci-fi show is still star trek TNG, but battlestar is way up there.

It was a strange feeling for me when BSG displaced TNG. I'm still a big TNG fan too (and TOS). I have a friend whose watching Voyager now (again) and it's funny to listen to him talk about watching the show jump the shark - just like a traffic accident. I remember the exact same feeling. Kind of a wtf sort of feeling as I softly cursed Berman's and Braga's names under my breath... :wtf:

It was a strange feeling for me when BSG displaced TNG. I'm still a big TNG fan too (and TOS). I have a friend whose watching Voyager now (again) and it's funny to listen to him talk about watching the show jump the shark - just like a traffic accident. I remember the exact same feeling. Kind of a wtf sort of feeling as I softly cursed Berman's and Braga's names under my breath... :wtf:

i loved voyager. in fact, i loved every star trek series. DS9 was easily the weakest one for me, and even that was pretty great. :yes:

i loved voyager. in fact, i loved every star trek series. DS9 was easily the weakest one for me, and even that was pretty great. :yes:

Personally I thiought DS9 was the strongest. For me its DS9, TOS, TNG, VOY, ENT.

Personally I thiought DS9 was the strongest. For me its DS9, TOS, TNG, VOY, ENT.

I would go TNG, ENT, TOS, VOY, DS9

I would go TNG, ENT, TOS, VOY, DS9

Sure

The Mary Tyler Moore show? Seriously?

Yes seriously. Funniest sitcom. Ever.

It certainly was a VERY funny show.

• Like 1

Friends was a great show. So is Big Bang. I still can't decide which one is better. Both shows are way better than Seinfeld. Don't get me wrong, I think Seinfeld was a decent show, and I've seen my fair share of episodes, but it's hard for me to love a show where every character is fairly despicable. I enjoy shows where you can actually care about at least some characters.

Other really well written comedies off the top of my head - Mash obviously, Taxi, Family Ties, Louie, The Wonder Years, Sex and the City, Cheers, Scrubs, etc.

I think there are a LOT of really well written tv shows on that list. Not all of them belong there, and there are certainly plenty I've never seen, but there are a lot of great ones.

I'm continually amazed on TRF by how almost anything that's really popular is deeply hated by so many.

Bullshit. I really enjoyed those top 4 shows listed...and they were insanely popular. And I like a lot of those shows on there that are also very popular. If FRIENDS had been unpopular I would've still hated that piece of crap. It just so happened that it was very well-received

it's a lot more than just friends i'm speaking of, but no biggie. people here love to hate so many things that are very popular. i think it's a rush-fan rebel thing.

Either that, or Rush fans tend to have less mainstream tastes.

Damn right I Love Lucy is on there. Genius comedy.

But number 12??? Nope.

I don't know...so many of those episodes were prototypes that other shows followed. I think it should be pretty high up there.

I find it hard to believe that Firefly is more poorly written than Roseanne. Roseanne was a great show but took a nosedive half way through. Edited by USB Connector
  • Like 1

Damn right I Love Lucy is on there. Genius comedy.

But number 12??? Nope.

I don't know...so many of those episodes were prototypes that other shows followed. I think it should be pretty high up there.

I Love Lucy is rightfully described as genius. That in itself should rank it very high on any list. There are the good shows, the very good shows, and then there's the genius level.

Friends was a great show. So is Big Bang. I still can't decide which one is better. Both shows are way better than Seinfeld. Don't get me wrong, I think Seinfeld was a decent show, and I've seen my fair share of episodes, but it's hard for me to love a show where every character is fairly despicable. I enjoy shows where you can actually care about at least some characters.

Other really well written comedies off the top of my head - Mash obviously, Taxi, Family Ties, Louie, The Wonder Years, Sex and the City, Cheers, Scrubs, etc.

I think there are a LOT of really well written tv shows on that list. Not all of them belong there, and there are certainly plenty I've never seen, but there are a lot of great ones.

I'm continually amazed on TRF by how almost anything that's really popular is deeply hated by so many.

Bullshit. I really enjoyed those top 4 shows listed...and they were insanely popular. And I like a lot of those shows on there that are also very popular. If FRIENDS had been unpopular I would've still hated that piece of crap. It just so happened that it was very well-received

it's a lot more than just friends i'm speaking of, but no biggie. people here love to hate so many things that are very popular. i think it's a rush-fan rebel thing.

we like one of the biggest bands in the world!

and yes, I love bacon, chocolate, pizza, etc. and this is all coming from someone who thinks tales from topographic oceans is the best yes album, simply because other people dont.

i don't think it's the best album because other people don't. i like it because it's their best album. ;)

But JB only hates Friends because it was popular.... I'm so confused!

Join the club. :P

So it's ok for you to like something that's not popular because you like it, not to be contrary to everyone else... but if JB doesn't like Friends... he's only doing it because he wants to be contrary.

OK, I think I follow now.

do you? could you explain it to me. oh, you just did. i still don't get it. ;)

If you really believe that then you truly are being a stubborn bastard as I've already explained that I like many popular shows. Hell, my favorite movie is likely the most widely accepted movie (by fans AND critics) of all time: Shawshank Redemption. That alone makes the theory a pile of nonsense. As far as those shows listed I would definitely have Twilight Zone, All in the Family, and Sopranos in the top 5 (just not in that list's same order). And what shows have been more popular than those? Not many. So where does the Contary/Rebellious Theory come into play there? It doesn't.

Anyway, back to that lovely show with all the fantastic characters and plots....I loved how they often were spending their time in that cafe. It was so hip and realistic. My real life friends often acted in the same way as they did, quoted their lines, and followed their fashion trends. And I loved them for it. I think I'm going to download the theme song onto my phone so that I can hear it every time I get a text or call

i'm glad friends is working its way into your heart. :P

yes, I'm searching ebay now for every piece of memorabilia possible.

I'm sure you won't answer but seriously, I have to ask: Why is it hard for you to accept that others don't like something regardless of popularity? You do. You like FRIENDS because of the characters, etc. and not because it was popular. And you like obscure Ukranian prog rock minstrels from the late 60s even though they were not popular.

regardless of reasons, you and many others here (often MOST people here) seem to passionately hate so many things that are really popular. it is what it is, and whatever.

Goobs, you are really popular here at TRF.

I think the only thing I've managed to agree with poor Goobs on is the genius of Tales, otherwise, hmmmmm...

And your point is?

And your point is?

well this whole WE'RE OUTSIDERS attitude is pretty silly when our favorite band only plays f***ing stadiums. people know about rush. it's not a secret anymore

And your point is?

well this whole WE'RE OUTSIDERS attitude is pretty silly when our favorite band only plays f***ing stadiums. people know about rush. it's not a secret anymore

I didn't say that it was a secret or that liking Rush means that we're outsiders. I posited that perhaps Rush fans tend to have less mainstream tastes, which might be why a lot of things that have mass mainstream popularity are less popular in this community than they are in other communities.

My post was disagreeing with the proposition that there's some kind of "Rush-fan rebel thing" that causes Rush fans to seek to hate popular things simply because they're popular. Which, oddly enough, means that I actually agree with your underlying sentiment, because I don't consider "less mainstream" to be the same thing as "completely outside the mainstream," and because I was addressing the notion the tastes of Rush fans are dictated by shallow rebellion against things that are popular rather than the notion that love of Rush is tied up in the desire to be an outsider.

• Like 1

And your point is?

I didn't say that it was a secret or that liking Rush means that we're outsiders. I posited that perhaps Rush fans tend to have less mainstream tastes, which might be why a lot of things that have mass mainstream popularity are less popular in this community than they are in other communities.

My post was disagreeing with the proposition that there's some kind of "Rush-fan rebel thing" that causes Rush fans to seek to hate popular things simply because they're popular. Which, oddly enough, means that I actually agree with your underlying sentiment, because I don't consider "less mainstream" to be the same thing as "completely outside the mainstream," and because I was addressing the notion the tastes of Rush fans are dictated by shallow rebellion against things that are popular rather than the notion that love of Rush is tied up in the desire to be an outsider.

No no no. You are all wrong and rushgoober's theory is 100% correct. He's always correct...it's just that some aren't being objective enough to see the light. If you don't agree with him then you just aren't being reasonable. I completely realize now that the only reason I dislike any popular show is because I want to be a rebel. Any show that I like that IS popular is simply a mystery to be solved since it doesn't fit neatly into the Rebel Rebel Theory Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

And your point is?

No no no. You are all wrong and rushgoober's theory is 100% correct. He's always correct...it's just that some aren't being objective enough to see the light. If you don't agree with him then you just aren't being reasonable. I completely realize now that the only reason I dislike any popular show is because I want to be a rebel. Any show that I like that IS popular is simply a mystery to be solved since it doesn't fit neatly into the Rebel Rebel Theory

It's great to see that you've finally seen the light. :P Edited by rushgoober

Let me see some kind of fight or controversy in this thread. I want to see action and intrigue! :popcorn:

No Kung Fu?!!! Infidels!!!

Kung Fu is the ultimate TV show! :notworthy:

That show had everything but nudity!!! My top 3 would probably be Kung Fu, The Twilight Zone, and The Sopranos

And your point is?

No no no. You are all wrong and rushgoober's theory is 100% correct. He's always correct...it's just that some aren't being objective enough to see the light. If you don't agree with him then you just aren't being reasonable. I completely realize now that the only reason I dislike any popular show is because I want to be a rebel. Any show that I like that IS popular is simply a mystery to be solved since it doesn't fit neatly into the Rebel Rebel Theory

It's great to see that you've finally seen the light. :P

Yes. I thought I disliked Justin Bieber but you've made me realize that that was only because he's popular. I was merely rebeling against the masses that adore him. Deep down (like you and everyone else) I recognize and appreciate his unearthly musicality and infectious charm. I cannot dislike anyone or anything popular. It would go against the laws of logic, science and nature

And your point is?

It's great to see that you've finally seen the light. :P

Yes. I thought I disliked Justin Bieber but you've made me realize that that was only because he's popular. I was merely rebeling against the masses that adore him. Deep down (like you and everyone else) I recognize and appreciate his unearthly musicality and infectious charm. I cannot dislike anyone or anything popular. It would go against the laws of logic, science and nature

Then I saw his face. Now I'm a Belieber.