101 Best Written TV Series Of All Time

ReRushed

House should be way higher. That show was written fantastically. Sex and the City made the list? Really? I'm pleased Battlestar Galactica made the list as in my opinion that transcends the genre of science fiction and is one of the greatest of the 21st century.

I agree that Battlestar Galactica (not the 70's version, obviously :P ) transcends the genre. I think of it as THE science-fiction show for people who don't like science-fiction.

Exactly! I've been trying to tell people how not nerdy it is. I'm a massive science fiction fan and was expecting it to be in the same vain as Star Trek, Farscape and other shows like that. It wasn't but it was still awesome. I describe it as TopGun in space with robots.

• Like 1

House should be way higher. That show was written fantastically. Sex and the City made the list? Really? I'm pleased Battlestar Galactica made the list as in my opinion that transcends the genre of science fiction and is one of the greatest of the 21st century.

I agree that Battlestar Galactica (not the 70's version, obviously :P ) transcends the genre. I think of it as THE science-fiction show for people who don't like science-fiction.

Exactly! I've been trying to tell people how not nerdy it is. I'm a massive science fiction fan and was expecting it to be in the same vain as Star Trek, Farscape and other shows like that. It wasn't but it was still awesome. I describe it as TopGun in space with robots.

except 500 times better than top gun! :P

it's really the dramatic aspects of the story and the characters/psychology/relationships that take it well beyond the genre.

• Like 1

what the f**k is going on with this thread???

basically, goob cares about popularity and feels like he's some sort of martyr for some unknown hippie cause because he enjoys shows that other people dislike. quite a hippie.

and yes, I love bacon, chocolate, pizza, etc. and this is all coming from someone who thinks tales from topographic oceans is the best yes album, simply because other people dont.

Two of my favorite shows didn't make the list:

Sports Nights (only 2 seasons were made)

Mad About You

Both were written the way people actually talk, 2 at a time, 3 three at a time, tangents, asking a question too ambiguous to answer, asking two questions at the same time etc...

Edited by Digital Man

what the f**k is going on with this thread???

basically, goob cares about popularity and feels like he's some sort of martyr for some unknown hippie cause because he enjoys shows that other people dislike. quite a hippie.

What?? Are you new here???

Goobs does this in any (every) discussion about what is good (better) or not good (worse).

Two of my favorite shows didn't make the list:

Sports Nights (only 2 seasons were made)

Mad About You

Both were written the way people actually talk, 2 at a time, 3 three at a time, tangents, asking a question too ambiguous to answer, asking two questions at the same time etc...

Sports Night was great. NYPD Blue had that scope of dialog too, sounded real, not written.

and yes, I love bacon, chocolate, pizza, etc. and this is all coming from someone who thinks tales from topographic oceans is the best yes album, simply because other people dont.

i don't think it's the best album because other people don't. i like it because it's their best album. ;)

i don't think it's the best album because other people don't. i like it because it's their best album. ;)

But JB only hates Friends because it was popular.... I'm so confused!

Join the club. :P

So it's ok for you to like something that's not popular because you like it, not to be contrary to everyone else... but if JB doesn't like Friends... he's only doing it because he wants to be contrary.

OK, I think I follow now.

So it's ok for you to like something that's not popular because you like it, not to be contrary to everyone else... but if JB doesn't like Friends... he's only doing it because he wants to be contrary.

do you? could you explain it to me. oh, you just did. i still don't get it. ;)

If you really believe that then you truly are being a stubborn bastard as I've already explained that I like many popular shows. Hell, my favorite movie is likely the most widely accepted movie (by fans AND critics) of all time: Shawshank Redemption. That alone makes the theory a pile of nonsense. As far as those shows listed I would definitely have Twilight Zone, All in the Family, and Sopranos in the top 5 (just not in that list's same order). And what shows have been more popular than those? Not many. So where does the Contary/Rebellious Theory come into play there? It doesn't.

Anyway, back to that lovely show with all the fantastic characters and plots....I loved how they often were spending their time in that cafe. It was so hip and realistic. My real life friends often acted in the same way as they did, quoted their lines, and followed their fashion trends. And I loved them for it. I think I'm going to download the theme song onto my phone so that I can hear it every time I get a text or call

• Like 1

If you really believe that then you truly are being a stubborn bastard as I've already explained that I like many popular shows. Hell, my favorite movie is likely the most widely accepted movie (by fans AND critics) of all time: Shawshank Redemption. That alone makes the theory a pile of nonsense. As far as those shows listed I would definitely have Twilight Zone, All in the Family, and Sopranos in the top 5 (just not in that list's same order). And what shows have been more popular than those? Not many. So where does the Contary/Rebellious Theory come into play there? It doesn't.

Anyway, back to that lovely show with all the fantastic characters and plots....I loved how they often were spending their time in that cafe. It was so hip and realistic. My real life friends often acted in the same way as they did, quoted their lines, and followed their fashion trends. And I loved them for it. I think I'm going to download the theme song onto my phone so that I can hear it every time I get a text or call

i'm glad friends is working its way into your heart. :P

yes, I'm searching ebay now for every piece of memorabilia possible.

I'm sure you won't answer but seriously, I have to ask: Why is it hard for you to accept that others don't like something regardless of popularity? You do. You like FRIENDS because of the characters, etc. and not because it was popular. And you like obscure Ukranian prog rock minstrels from the late 60s even though they were not popular.

I'm sure you won't answer but seriously, I have to ask: Why is it hard for you to accept that others don't like something regardless of popularity? You do. You like FRIENDS because of the characters, etc. and not because it was popular. And you like obscure Ukranian prog rock minstrels from the late 60s even though they were not popular.

regardless of reasons, you and many others here (often MOST people here) seem to passionately hate so many things that are really popular. it is what it is, and whatever.

regardless of reasons, you and many others here (often MOST people here) seem to passionately hate so many things that are really popular. it is what it is, and whatever.

Goobs, you are really popular here at TRF.

Damn right I Love Lucy is on there. Genius comedy.

But number 12??? Nope.

i'm surprised it's that high. i'm not disagreeing with you - it's just that the show is a little dated. or maybe more than a little... :unsure:

OH yeah it's old lol

But personally, I believe when it comes to comedy, Lucille Ball was a master- the best comedianne of all time. I still laugh my butt off watching it! (of course I'm a biased opinion, as I love everything Lucille Ball has ever done, ever. Not just this show lol)