Slideshow of my Father

Nate1647

On May 25th, 2013, my father passed away of brain cancer. It was a long, tiring, year and a half battle, and it was truly inspiring to watch him stay so strong so everything. He always told us that he'd beat it, and in the minds of our family, he did. He never once let it get him down, and even when he lost the ability to speak in coherent sentences, he was still all smiles, and full of love.

When CA leaked, The Garden instantly reminded me of my Father, and his battle with this awful disease. I knew someday that I would be using this song in some sort of tribute to my Dad.

Dad was never a big fan of Rush, be he had an ENORMOUS amount of respect for them, and was always open to listening to them. He loved Neil's writing, and really enjoyed the CA novel too. He even sat down with the album and listened to it all the way through, right after finishing the book.

Anyway, here is a slideshow I created to play at his funeral reception (which was yesterday, June 1st), and everyone loved it. I also gave a speech at the actual service, which was a true joy to create and deliver.

I hope you all enjoy the slideshow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ArB5v6I5Y4

Edited by Nate1647
  • Like 10

Looks like a nice video. I'll watch it all later when I'm off work. Losing family is hard. Best wishes and thanks for posting!
  • Like 1

That was lovely... so sorry about your dad passing away. What an appropriate song, though!

It looks like you loved him a lot, and that's really the ultimate measure of life, eh? :)

• Like 1

K I watched it during lunch break ;)

Touching and nicely done! Sounds like your dad was pretty strong for his family through this, you should be proud.

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 1

This was just beautiful. What a Dad you were blessed with!

My dad was just diagnosed with cancer related to asbestos. He was a military man, worked in a VERY dangerous field. Someone asked him if he was going to pursue legal action. He said "the military, or the government doesn't owe me a thing!" Wow! Talk about stunning

This is a reminder to leave nothing unsaid, and to take everyday, no matter how awful, as a gift!

Thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone :)

And yea, TM, my dad spent time overseas in the Vietnam War, and his cancer had been linked to exposure to Agent Orange. He had a similar reaction to your father about the whole thing.

Glad you enjoyed the slideshow :)

• Like 1

Wow. Just wow. A measure of love and respect, indeed. Absolutely beautiful. I cried. The love in the photographs was palpable. Thank you so much for sharing such a personal tribute with us and I am very sorry for your loss.

:hug2: :heart:

I have nothing much to add—all the responses so far have already beautifully expressed how touching this is. My folks are at that age when the idea that they would live forever is quickly becoming impossible to cling to any longer (a few years older than your dad), but hopefully they'll hang around for a good long while before calling it a day. My heart goes out to you, Nate.

Incredibly moving. For never knowing you or your family, I found myself more emotionally impacted by what you created than I had expected. I am truly sorry for your loss. :rose:
  • Like 1

So sorry for your loss.

Very moving and heart-melting slideshow.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Greets from Germany. :rose: