Are Front Row Seats Worth the $$$

Front row tickets for a band like Rush are over-rated...with the show experience as it is, I'd rather be 10-15 rows back, but moreso center to experience the show as it's meant to be experienced!

Sound wise? Within 10 rows in front of the board is good because you figure, THOSE guys are running sound, and what the audience is hearing...so it's optimum!

$860 for front row seats? don't waste your money, all you're doing is feeding a problem that needs eliminated, and putting money into some d-bag's pocket!

I agree. Front row is nice, but I think you get a better "show experience" by being back a bit. I've seen Rush from every angle (except backstage) including the obscured view and the distant view. The big screens help make up for lack of "up close" vision and the light show when you are back a bit is spectacular. I always like seats around the mixing board, if I can't get up next to Geddy. You get a great view and the sound is always good.

I think you guys are missing the point....

sure, sitting 10 rows back has some advantages, so does being by the sound board, sound wise....and being across the arena floor in the lower bowl adds to the overall visual elements that Howard does such a great job with....

BUT - there is something to be said for front row....

sure, 2nd or 3rd row is great, you are right there, you are "in" the show....

but there are still heads in front of you...

being in front row is a unique experience....to take your spot against the barracade, laying your arms across "your space."

knowing that there is nothing between you are the band, it is different than 2nd or 3rd row...

I have had the joy of front row a few times, back in the day when you didn't have to spend a mortgage payment to do it...

It's up to the person shelling out the cash to decide how much value it has for him....

If he needed to get a part time job just to pay for front row tickets, well, that's dedication and his decision....

I am not saying how much money you should spend or whether its worth it but one thing is for sure...

LIFE is about LIVING.....

we do it once, then we are history....

so if he wants to make the sacrifices that are needed to secure front row.....well....you know he will probably go home after the show a very happy man...

(um, is the wife really that big a fan that you want to spend $860 just on her ticket? you could go solo...she'll understand....um....i think....lol)

just kidding.....sort of....

• Like 1

I got them! I have the extra money. I was just kidding about the mortgage payment. My point was is that I am very practical normally, and this was something super frivolous.

I am a die hard. I have been a fan since 86 and have been to so many shows that I can't remember how many it has been. This is a dream come true. My wife likes them enough that she has been going with me for the last 14 years. I want her to share this once in a lifetime experience with me and she wouldn't want to miss me freaking out.

Thanks for all the advice.

• Like 1

I got them! I have the extra money. I was just kidding about the mortgage payment. My point was is that I am very practical normally, and this was something super frivolous.

I am a die hard. I have been a fan since 86 and have been to so many shows that I can't remember how many it has been. This is a dream come true. My wife likes them enough that she has been going with me for the last 14 years. I want her to share this once in a lifetime experience with me and she wouldn't want to miss me freaking out.

Thanks for all the advice.

That's awesome.....

so funny about taking your spouse....my wife loves me....but really does like rush's music....she is the biggest country music fan I have ever met....(go figure)

soooo...

she went with me once to see Rush, the same summer we got married in 2004....(yeah, when you are newlyweds you do things you wouldn't do 10 years later)

well, she just couldn't take it, it was so loud for her...we were about 15 rows back at PNC arts center in Holmdel, NJ....

it was complete torture for her....she said her ears were ringing for days afterwards...

nowadays she likes to imitate geddy singing, "my uncle has a country place, that no one knows about."

so my wife got to see me enjoy one rush show, while she kinda "suffered" through.....

hence why i asked about how much your wife likes rush...

times have changed for sure, now i see women rush fans dragging their husbands to shows....

Congrats on the first row tickets, you won't ever forget it...

• Like 1

Good GOD, man! I can't imagine paying that price. Holy moly. 0_o

But that's just me, I'm used to getting front row from waiting 9 hours in line and paying a 15 dollar entrance fee lol.

Being front row is an awesome experience. You get great poses and interaction. Having said that, I have found that being further back provides a much beteer overall concert experience. You see more of the whole show as opposed to concentrating on a member or two on stage. I loved my front row experience as well as all the other shows that I have been within the first 10 rows. For future shows, I will get seats further back. As others have pointed out, if you can swing it, it is worth it to experience it at least once. You will not regret it!
  • Like 1

she went with me once to see Rush, the same summer we got married in 2004....(yeah, when you are newlyweds you do things you wouldn't do 10 years later)

well, she just couldn't take it, it was so loud for her...we were about 15 rows back at PNC arts center in Holmdel, NJ....

it was complete torture for her....she said her ears were ringing for days

That's really a coincidence! My wife's first rush show was the exact same show, and we were engaged at the time with the wedding only a few months away, AND we were probably sitting very close to you (row 11, just to Alex's side of the center). The only difference is that my wife was blown away, and we got moved up to the second row for the last few songs before the encore, right near Geddy. She came with me again for the S&A show in Holmdel. She wanted to go to Hershey with me, but our babysitter fell thru, and I'm not about to try out a new babysitter in a situation where we'll be away for 8-10 hours (6 hours of driving alone).

Back on topic-- Hershey is going to be my first front row experience, and I have no qualms about it, even though I'm sitting off to the side. I spent years up in the cheaper seats, and since starting to get seats close to the stage, I don't ever want to be in the cheap seats again. I sat in row 15 in Newark last year and it was just ok compared with the first few rows. For the second leg of TM i was back up in the bowl at MSG, and spent half the show wishing i wasn't so damn far away. Mind you, it's a totally subjective opinion, but as a musician, I like to be able to see exactly what the guys are doing, and the occasional direct eye contact with the band members is something that will not happen if you're more than 10 to 15 rows back. It's pretty sweet when one of them sees you and gives nod or tries to throw a guitar pick to you (even if the bastard next to you ends up prying it out from under your shoe—at least I know he tried to throw it to me). If you're a huge fan, you can't beat that unless you're lucky enough to meet them and get time to chat a bit. I was very lucky to do that once. But it's very hard after things like that to then sit a full city block away from them

Edited by HalfwayToGone

Enjoy Hersey !!! I cannot make it. :rage: But I'm seeing The Stones in Boston on Friday... C L O S E U P

I agree... I've been to many shows over the years and at this stage of my life, I have to sit as close as possible.

Have a great time! I saw the second night at Newark (the one that was broadcast live on demand). You'll be pleased.

Thanks. I was there too :blush:

After being in the front row on Friday, I would have to say yes, front row seats are most definitely worth the money. Definitely yes.