Paradigm Blue

GeddyRulz

I remember back in 1999 or 2000, when a young trio of Prog wannabes from North Carolina calling themselves Paradigm Blue released a CD called “Liquid Eyes” and created a stir on Tri-Net . Rudy embraced them, and the three band members even began posting on the board.

Musically and lyrically, they were quite good. They acknowledged their debt to Rush and Dream Theater, their two biggest and most obvious influences. The lyricist (slash-bassist-slash-vocalist) had a large vocabulary, a’la Peart, and liked to flaunt it in his lyrics. Vocally, though, he sounded like a nasally Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) – the sole weakness in a band which otherwise had great potential.

The CD contained a six-part suite called “The Rain Cycle,” while another song referenced the movie The Matrix with its title “There is No Spoon,” but the “single” from the CD was a six-minute track called “Atlantis.” Anyone heard it? Anyone know or remember Paradigm Blue?

I’m trying to download an MP3 of “Atlantis” and have had mixed results. A couple websites have it, but they either require a membership or my computer just doesn’t like them (“WARNING: Potentially harmful to your computer!”). I’d prefer not to use any such websites. Can anyone point me to an MP3 of the song, or send me an MP3 via e-mail? Please inbox me. I've found a place (or places) online where I can LISTEN to it, but I want an MP3 copy for my iTunes/iPod.

Edited by GeddyRulz
  • Like 1

Never heard of them. Maybe you'd have better luck if you posted this on another site, like Progressive Ears or the Prog Archives forum (if you haven't already). There are probably people there who could help you out. Edited by ColdFireYYZ

:bump:

Okay... I caved, and bought the CD from Amazon used sellers. (There seemed to be no other good way of getting the songs on MP3.) Having listened to the full CD several times, it is now my mission to get EVERYBODY I know - at least the Rush and Dream Theater fans - to hear this out-of-print CD.

BECAUSE IT TOTALLY ROCKS!!! It's brilliant. There are few albums I can say I like from start to finish, but surprisingly this CD is one of them. I'm hooked! Unfortunately the band is defunct and they only have this one album.

Give a listen to the full album on Grooveshark. I think all of you will love it; it's right up the alley of Rush fans and DT fans...

http://grooveshark.c...igm Blue/912694

1. Fording the Dawn

2. Stoptime

3. There is No Spoon

4. Stranded on Vulcan (instr, bass solo)

5. Atlantis

6. Alpha Tango (instr)

THE RAIN CYCLE

7. i. Face of Tomorrow

8. ii. Meridian Vigil

9. iii. Candlenight

10. iv. Twilight Harbor

11. v. As the Crow Flies

12. vi. Winds of Yesterday (instr)

And here's the review I posted on Amazon...

"Liquideyes," the first (and by all evidence, only) CD by the now-defunct Raleigh trio Paradigm Blue, was released in 2001 and is probably remembered today only by the band's families and friends, and by a handful of Rush fans from a similarly defunct Internet message board. (Starved for Rush music while the Canadian trio were on an interminable hiatus, members of that message board fell over themselves praising Paradigm Blue when the single "Atlantis" was shared.) Ambitiously aiming to sound like both Rush and Dream Theater at their peaks, the young Mid-Atlantic Power Proggers largely succeeded, with complex arrangements, dramatic time changes, hard-rocking energy, instrumental prowess, and smart lyrical themes. The band charges through the disc's first half with an energy and sound that will excite fans of either source band. Indeed, the tempo of "Liquideyes" doesn't slow until its second half, during the brilliantly transcendent six-part suite "The Rain Cycle," and only slows briefly before the electricity is amped-up again. Highlights include - but are not limited to - the instrumental tracks "Stranded on Vulcan" and "Alpha Tango," and "There is No Spoon," its title a reference to the film The Matrix. The only weak spot is bassist/vocalist/lyricist/keyboardist/de facto leader Ruben Moreno's voice - which sounds like Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull singing with his nostrils pinched together - but it should also be acknowledged that Moreno excels at his other tasks. (And keep in mind, if it helps, that Geddy Lee's vocals were often criticized, too.)

This reviewer doesn't know what became of Paradigm Blue after "Liquideyes," and the Internet is no help. (Google searches for Paradigm Blue result in hits for an unrelated band using the same unique-sounding name, as unlikely as this seems.) Be that as it may, fans of the Prog Rock/Hard Rock amalgam will love this disc from start to finish and are therefore encouraged to track down a copy, through Amazon used services or by other means.

Edited by GeddyRulz

(double post) Edited by GeddyRulz

I got word from guitarist Juan Mantilla, via YouTube, that they just completed a new album and are excited to have everyone hear it. This should be great, if it's anything like the first... which I quickly concluded was a work of Prog genius.

Favorites on the first album moved from "There is No Spoon" and "Atlantis" to a double-punch during The Rain Cycle - "Candlenight" (with AWESOME guitar) and "Twilight Harbor" (where Ruben's vocal style becomes a strength).

Juan has an Instagram account, https://www.instagram.com/theonlyjuan1976/?hl=en .... Some VERY promising posts in the last two weeks.... I am SO stoked to hear new material from these guys, their first album was Awesome. I also found a great Paradigm Blue cover of "Bravado" as a 9/11 tribute on Youtube:

On Christmas morning, Paradigm Blue made a new single (“The Optimist”) available for listening on the Internet, and announced that the full album (“Transist”) will be available in the spring. It’s finally finished! They also provided the album art, the track list, band bios, etc., at paradigmblue.net

New song is really cool,is Liquideyes available to buy?

The first album? I think it’s still out there on the Net, but through “used” sellers.

Edited by GeddyRulz