Sheffield Arena 28/05/13

2112mjh

Fantastic/Awesome/Mesmeric....I could go on but you should get the picture by now. Wow, the boys were on fire. So much better than their previous visit to Sheffield on the last tour 2 years ago. Couldn't believe how well the Clockwork Angels material came over live...and Geddy's vocals were spot on throughout the concert. I could even hear the orchestra! One small gripe though....for the first time I thought the 2112 section sounded "tired". Perhaps that's just me as the crowd reaction throughout the concert suggested otherwise.

Overall I was so happy walking away from the Sheffield Arena, the Mrs not so, she just dont get it !. She did admit that they were ' proper ' musicians though LOL !

I enjoyed the first half of the set, opening with Subdivisions followed by The Big Money ! a master stroke !, some songs I did not expect to hear and were a nice suprise. As you may have guessed I have kept of the spoiler threads.

The second half just moved up the gears, absolutly loved it. The Clockwork Angels tracks were a revalation live, with the strings, fantastic, you made an old Rush man happy. Been getting the flashbacks in my head all day today.

I cant agree with the OP I'm afraid , drop 2112! no way ! its an institusion , a rite of passage for any Rush fan, never ever should that song be left out in any shape or form ! :D

Had a fantastic night! Thought the new songs were brilliant live, with The Anarchist standing out. I'd heard that Sheffield was a bad venue for sound but last night was spot on, even the orchestra were great. The audience never stopped singing all night and think even Geddy remarked at the end how much they enjoyed it. Soooo close to catching a t-shirt at the encore but missed by fingertips...maybe next time... :rage:

Fantastic/Awesome/Mesmeric....I could go on but you should get the picture by now. Wow, the boys were on fire. So much better than their previous visit to Sheffield on the last tour 2 years ago. Couldn't believe how well the Clockwork Angels material came over live...and Geddy's vocals were spot on throughout the concert. I could even hear the orchestra! One small gripe though....for the first time I thought the 2112 section sounded "tired". Perhaps that's just me as the crowd reaction throughout the concert suggested otherwise.

Said this at the interval, looks like that day's rest in-between gigs is working. I don't know how they're still performing like that at this stage of their career, each tour they just seem to get better and better!

Overall I was so happy walking away from the Sheffield Arena, the Mrs not so, she just dont get it !. She did admit that they were ' proper ' musicians though LOL !

I enjoyed the first half of the set, opening with Subdivisions followed by The Big Money ! a master stroke !, some songs I did not expect to hear and were a nice suprise. As you may have guessed I have kept of the spoiler threads.

The second half just moved up the gears, absolutly loved it. The Clockwork Angels tracks were a revalation live, with the strings, fantastic, you made an old Rush man happy. Been getting the flashbacks in my head all day today.

I cant agree with the OP I'm afraid , drop 2112! no way ! its an institusion , a rite of passage for any Rush fan, never ever should that song be left out in any shape or form ! :D

What did you think of "The Garden," followed later by Manhattan Project. Alex really shone in both of those songs, didn't he?

What did you think of "The Garden," followed later by Manhattan Project. Alex really shone in both of those songs, didn't he?

It was great to have those added strings on songs like Manhatten Project, as I say the whole of the second part of the set 'upped the anti' visually and audibly. The Garden is a fantastic track anyway and as for Alex, well its Alex !. I'm not to keen on The Wreakers but even that played live brought another dimention to it...... the flashbacks are still coming !

Great set, thought the sound was a bit muddy in the first set but improved in the second. Highlights for me were The Big Money, The Analog Kid, The Anarchist and Red Sector A. New material sounded great.

I agree with the OP that 2112 is getting a little predictable, would have preferred Xanadu personally...but happy just to see them and in great form!!

Edited by Alvy Singer

It was awesome! However as I have said before, my only complaint is that my section was pretty dead atmosphere wise. i have no idea how people can just sit there and watch. I wanted to get up and air bass, air guitar and air drum throughout the whole thing. Next time I'm going to try and get seats closer to the floor as they seemed to be showing their enjoyment much more than anyone around me.

Reading this is getting me so excited for my show... two months away! I'm an impatient cat! :)

Sounds like everyone had a great time there, and seems like everyone digs the CA songs!

(I'm listening to a live version of 'Resist' right now, and it's so awesome it's distracting me, so I won't write any more!)

To quote those poodle rockers Poison "Don't need nothing, but a good time and it don't get better than this". :geddy: I was there at Rush's first ever UK gig at Sheffield City Hall way back in 77. My love affair with the band started when I heard All The worlds a stage and has been going on ever since. We went through a rocky patch with the Presto and Roll The Bones albums, but we're still together after all these years. Tuesday's Motorpoint Arena gig is probably the finest performance I've ever seen by the boys. Could it be possible to have three more accomplished musicians on the stage in one band. On a personal level , I thought the sound was great. The light show as ever, was second to none. The use of the Clockwork Angels ensemble was a masterstroke, and it was great to be able to hear them. As regards the inclusion of the 2112 segment, a must at every show. I thought it was a perfect balance of hold and new material. If the boys decided to call it a day after this tour, I'd say thank you for saving the best till last. With Clockwork Angels, the band have produced what I believe to be their finest album to date. In conclusion, if I may, I'd like to now quote that grand old lady of the legs. "You're simply the best. Better than all the rest".

It was awesome! However as I have said before, my only complaint is that my section was pretty dead atmosphere wise. i have no idea how people can just sit there and watch. I wanted to get up and air bass, air guitar and air drum throughout the whole thing. Next time I'm going to try and get seats closer to the floor as they seemed to be showing their enjoyment much more than anyone around me.

I noticed the people in the block to our left (101) barely moved for the whole show, not even to raise their arms over their heads to clap. Alex kept looking at them and frowning. When Ged came to that side of the stage he tried to get them going without any joy. Must be really disheartening for the band when they're giving it their all.

Where we were (block 102, row J) a bunch of people were standing up and it rocked. For me, of the four UK shows I’ve been to this tour, London’s first set was perfect, Brum was the best overall performance, and Sheffield was best for atmosphere. Loved it!

So much better near the front this time around, far better atmosphere and sound. I grudgingly agree with the OP 2112 did sound a bit tired. would rather have had some other classics thrown in, Xanadu, cygnus, the trees, circumstances, entree nous, farewell to kings, hemispheres, la villa, Jeez, I could go on and on! there's so much great music from these guys. I'll listen to CA with a new perspective from now on, can't stop singing carnies for some reason!

This local reporter enjoyed !

http://www.sheffield...Rd_NhCA.twitter

I was sat next to a reporter during the show, not sure if this is him. He said he had interviewed Alex a few days previously (by phone) and had managed to get 35 minutes with him (lucky so and so!!). Alex had mentioned playing Middletown Dreams so he was a bit disappointed afterwards but it seems we got setlist A not B...

Mrs Singer was pleased though, she loves The Wreckers...