Headlong Flight: Does it crack your top 5 favorite Rush songs?

Tombstone Mountain

Time and motion is classic rush and only Al could do that solo thing, lasts only a few seconds but pure rush gold... Yeah HF's a decent tune with great moments such as the outstanding intro but overall, time and motion is faultless
  • Like 1

Time and motion is classic rush and only Al could do that solo thing, lasts only a few seconds but pure rush gold... Yeah HF's a decent tune with great moments such as the outstanding intro but overall, time and motion is faultless

Headlong Flight is a decent tune. The mighty ocean says that's an understatement, that's like dancing with the loons

The great thing about this band is, if youd asked if either caravan bu2b the title track or the garden were in my top 5 id have to give it some thought theyre that good... In fact every album this band made has tracks on em youd have to consider giving top 5 status... Which is incredible really, taking their output into account...

This is the standard these guys set before producing new material...

• Like 3

The great thing about this band is, if youd asked if either caravan bu2b the title track or the garden were in my top 5 id have to give it some thought theyre that good... In fact every album this band made has tracks on em youd have to consider giving top 5 status... Which is incredible really, taking their output into account...

This is the standard these guys set before producing new material...

I agree with you totally...right on the money! As i've tried to compare the greatness of this collection of songs with the heavyweights, Headlong Flight has a place in that conversation in my mind. It's freaking badass!!! And it's not my favorite song on the album either—that's Clockwork Angels!

I bought the single of HF and played it to death before I got CA and I love it, think I still enjoy Carnies a bit more but the whole album is fantastic! Still love listening to it all the way through. July can't get here soon enough so I can hear them play live :haz: :rush:

I was really excited about HF when it came out. But honestly, when I saw Rush in CT, I forgot about HF until they played it (in my defense, I was in the middle of a Steven Wilson obsessive-listen since I had just seen him at his Boston show). Top five? Not quite, I think it might land at number six or seven.

I don't discount the song itself though, at all. Musically, it kicks ass and sounds great live. Tons of energy and punch.

It might crack my top FIFTY, but you know, top five is reserved for songs like Xanadu, La Villa Strangiato, Subdivisions, Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio, etc.

love it, bumping thread, stirring controversy

And I agree 100%.

It might crack my top FIFTY, but you know, top five is reserved for songs like Xanadu, La Villa Strangiato, Subdivisions, Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio, etc.

And I agree 100%.

it's a great song, it's just not QUITE in the same league as some of their all time classics.

• Like 1

Tom Sawyer, Spirit Of Radio, Subdivisons, Limelight, 2112, Xanada, La Villa Strangiato. It doesn't come close to those.

Thought long and hard about putting HF on the shelf of greatness...its certainly belongs there. It's as great as half the songs on your list. The epic songs, well that's a much tougher comparison IMO. Interesting that Natural Science didn't make your top 5.

And I agree 100%.

Since you're from Tyler your can appreciate this:

Headlong Flight is the "Earl Campbell" of all Rush songs

• Like 1

And I agree 100%.

Since you're from Tyler your can appreciate this:

Headlong Flight is the "Earl Campbell" of all Rush songs

Best power back of all time! Xanadu is the barry sanders of rush songs.

• Like 1

It cracks my 5 favorite songs. Period.

It's skull-crushing metal dude. This song kicks your ass, makes dirty love to you, and gives you a smoke afterwards Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 2

My top 10

#1 The Camera Eye

#2 Natural Science

#3 Red Barchetta

#4 Secret Touch

#5 Nocturne

#6 Xanadu

#7 Mystic Rhythms

#8 Heresy

#9 Subdivisions

#10 Headlong Flight

• Like 1

Man, I don't know what it is, but almost ALL of Clockwork Angels is in my probably top 20 songs. It is honestly impossible to pick one. Cause then I'll go on a power windows spree, and then jump into some Counterparts, and then I'll feel bad for ignoring the 70's and go on a farewell to kings binge, its all just too much. lol.
  • Like 4

Man, I don't know what it is, but almost ALL of Clockwork Angels is in my probably top 20 songs. It is honestly impossible to pick one. Cause then I'll go on a power windows spree, and then jump into some Counterparts, and then I'll feel bad for ignoring the 70's and go on a farewell to kings binge, its all just too much. lol.

Great post, this sums up my feelings well. With Rush I need to listen to their music in terms of groupings instead of song to song.

Edited by calirush
  • Like 1

It's somewhere in the top 15 for me but it's definitely in the top 5 of Clockwork Angels songs. :P

We're talking about Hemispheres, Natural Science, La Villa Strangiato, The Camera Eye, Jacob's Ladder, Xanadu, 2112...man, I'm not able to pick just 5.

• Like 1