2112 Sectors and Deluxe - any difference?

mrvander

Putting aside the 5.1 mix, is there any known information regarding the differences between 2112 Deluxe and the Sectors discs? Both were mastered by Andy VanDette with Sectors being mastered in 2011 then Deluxe was done in 2012. Are these the same masters or did he really remaster it again a year later?

If you have any info with links I would appreciate it.

Putting aside the 5.1 mix, is there any known information regarding the differences between 2112 Deluxe and the Sectors discs? Both were mastered by Andy VanDette with Sectors being mastered in 2011 then Deluxe was done in 2012. Are these the same masters or did he really remaster it again a year later?

If you have any info with links I would appreciate it.

Great question. I'm all ears :)

Searching continues to come up with nothing. All I've been able to find is an opinion on another forum:

http://forums.steveh...d.299870/page-7

question: Can someone confirm if the stereo CD and/or stereo hi-res is the same mastering as the one included the Sectors Box ?

answer: I haven't done a peak level comparison or anything, but it sounds pretty obvious to me that the redbook is the same mastering as the Sector version, and that the hi-rez stereo is a unique mastering.

I just don't have time to compare waveforms in Pro Tools (not really an accurate assessment anyway) - can't they just release this information when they do press releases? :huh:

In the meantime, I have an email out to MasterDisk.

Buried in page three of Google results, I did find this interview with Richard Chycki. Not a definitive answer but it does imply an all-new mastering...

Mettler: How did the process get underway? Were you given the original masters to work with? You did the mixing at your own studio, right?

Chycki: Yes, the original analog multitrack and stereo masters were transferred and then delivered to me. The mix work was done at my studio, Mixland, just like the others were. I had it built a few years ago specifically for mixing, and it’s been working out great. The main challenge of a project of this magnitude is remaining true to the original album mix while remixing it to the 5.1 format, using modern technology in ways that sound vintage and maintain the sonic aura of the era, albeit in 3D. And at the end of the line, Andy VanDette at Masterdisk did an amazing job mastering both the 5.1 remixes and the original analog stereo masters for the 2.0 option on the various release configurations. I can’t speak highly enough about his dedication and the quality of his work.

http://www.soundandv...01/25/2112-51-0

Still he may be only speaking of the high-res 2.0 streams and not the CD "redbook" included in all the deluxe editions which jives with the opinion quoted in the above post.

Edited by mrvander

I'd be surprised if they made new CD remasters for two different reissues within a year of each other. My guess is the CD of the deluxe version is the same master as the Sector one.

That said, the deluxe edition is worth buying even if you have the Sector box set. It comes with a really cool graphic novel of the story, and it's got three live bonus tracks. Plus the 5.1 mix if you have the equipment.

I agree - I already own both as I'm in the process of replacing my entire Rush collection as it's pretty long-in-the-tooth. However, I am in the process of converting the physical media to other formats for various reasons so the question came up. It's purely academic from my viewpoint as I've tested ripping the 96/24 DVD-Audio version and plan to use that as my "master" for transcoding to other formats. I wish I had the money to also grab all the HDTracks even though I can't hear anything beyond 20kHz (likely much less at my age.)

Received a reply from Andy VanDette at Masterdisk.

My question as posed to Andy (well, Masterdisk really):

Hello,

I am hoping you can assist me with a small piece of information regarding projects of Andy VanDette’s. I’m not sure who to contact for this information, so if you could forward this onto Andy or anyone who might have information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Specifically, I’m interested in learning if there is any difference between the Rush releases of 2112 in the Sector’s box set and the Deluxe edition. Putting aside the 5.1 mix in the Deluxe edition, the Sectors disc was mastered in 2011 and the Deluxe disc was mastered in 2012. Are these the same masters or did Andy remaster the same album a year later? If yes, is there a general statement about what was done differently between the two (e.g, more bottom end, less compression artifacts, etc.).

Any information is appreciated, <signature>

Response from Andy:

Hello Matt,

Thank you for your interest. I believe it is the same audio for the album, but there are additional bonus tracks.

Cheers

Andy VanDette

Chief Mastering Engineer

Masterdisk NYC