iTunes Remastered Collections

vital signz

Hello all....Can anyone educate us as to how these would differ from CD downloads to an iPod?? I am an audiophile to a degree and am reasonably happy with everything I currently have on my iPod, but would I be happier with the iTunes specific downloads?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

From what I understand, this are remasters similar to the ones in the Sector Box Set, but they have been altered to better fit the compression that happens when you download them to iTunes.

If you are ripping your discs to your iPod using a lossless codec, I doubt these versions will sound better to an audiophile's ears. However, if you are ripping them in a compressed format, these may sound better to you.

However, my question regards the soon to be released CD versions of the iTunes remasters. If you use applelossless, and these masters are virtually the same as the Sector box sets, wouldn't you be better off getting the Sector Box Sets?

Get the Sector Box sets. They're cheaper, you have something tangible for your money, they are the same remasters, and you can rip them yourself to either a lossless format or to whatever bit rate MP3 you like. Edited by Ron2112

If you're going to buy any digital files of the latest remasters, buy the HDTracks ones. They're more expensive but if you say you're an "audiophile," you're going to want to have the 24/96 FLACs. Paying money for compressed AAC files, even if they're supposedly "remastered for iTunes," is a waste. You can convert the FLACs to any iPod-compatible format you want.

Note: I have all of the HDTracks box sets, which I converted to Apple Lossless so I could listen to the 24-bit versions in my iTunes. I've listened to about a third of the albums so far and the sound is phenomenal. Well worth the cash if you've got it.

Is there any way you can tell me how to do this using basic directions? Assume I am a computer moron. I have a Macbook Pro and all of my music is either on iTunes or CDs. I would appreciate any instruction on this matter. The FLACs look easy enough to purchase on HDTracks.com they also have AIFF files which are supposedly compatible with iTunes...

Note: I have all of the HDTracks box sets, which I converted to Apple Lossless so I could listen to the 24-bit versions in my iTunes. I've listened to about a third of the albums so far and the sound is phenomenal. Well worth the cash if you've got it.

Is there any way you can tell me how to do this using basic directions? Assume I am a computer moron. I have a Macbook Pro and all of my music is either on iTunes or CDs. I would appreciate any instruction on this matter. The FLACs look easy enough to purchase on HDTracks.com they also have AIFF files which are supposedly compatible with iTunes...

Excellent question!

Sure thing. AIFF files do play in iTunes, but they take up almost twice as much space as FLACs or Apple Lossless files. Here's how you convert them (I use a Mac as well):

1. Download a free program called X Lossless Decoder.

2. Open the program and go to "Preferences" in the top menu under "XLD" next to the Apple logo.

3. On the main preferences screen, select "Apple Lossless" as your output format.

4. You'll also want to create a folder on your computer or external hard drive and set that as the output directory, also in preferences.

5. Once you have the HDTracks FLACs downloaded, go into an album's folder, select all the tracks, and drag them onto the XLD icon on the dock. They'll automatically start converting to Apple Lossless and will be saved in the folder you set as the output directory.

6. Once you have them all converted, you can import them into your iTunes library.

7. Enjoy.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Sure thing. AIFF files do play in iTunes, but they take up almost twice as much space as FLACs or Apple Lossless files. Here's how you convert them (I use a Mac as well):

2. Open the program and go to "Preferences" in the top menu under "XLD" next to the Apple logo.

3. On the main preferences screen, select "Apple Lossless" as your output format.

4. You'll also want to create a folder on your computer or external hard drive and set that as the output directory, also in preferences.

5. Once you have the HDTracks FLACs downloaded, go into an album's folder, select all the tracks, and drag them onto the XLD icon on the dock. They'll automatically start converting to Apple Lossless and will be saved in the folder you set as the output directory.

6. Once you have them all converted, you can import them into your iTunes library.

7. Enjoy.

Hope that helps.

Thank You for the tutorial. Much appreciated!

Question: Is the HDTracks version of Vapour Trails as a standalone album better than the original CD, or do you have to get the Studio Albums box set to get an improved version?

The HD tracks version of Vapor Trails just released is incredible - more high end is audible and there is no more annoying clipping!

Let's put it this way - I have no more intrest in a remix of the record anymore (although it would be intresting to hear), I am quite satisfied with the way the songs come off in this version.

7. Enjoy.

Hope that helps.

Is there a program for pc like the X Lossless Decoder for Mac?

Also, do the boys get paid for the HDTracks?

For those interested, The hd track collection is available for download at Israbox, Type rush in the search function and scroll down. These are flac files and do tike some time to finish. Not really noticing that big of a difference so far.

For those interested, The hd track collection is available for download at Israbox, Type rush in the search function and scroll down. These are flac files and do tike some time to finish. Not really noticing that big of a difference so far.

Are you sure? I couldn't find any Rush there.