If 18 yr old Geddy were to appear on American Idol or The Voice...

Lost In Xanadu

in today's world.... Would he have any shot?

I have a feeling if Rush was trying to "make it" today and these were the best channels available, they would never have been given the chance.

in today's world.... Would he have any shot?

I have a feeling if Rush was trying to "make it" today and these were the best channels available, they would never have been given the chance.

The band wouldn't make it big today as their form of music isn't popular. Geddy wouldn't be chosen by the judges to be a finalist and wouldn't be voted by the people to advance.

• Like 1

Some of those people can sing, however, I don't believe they are true to their talent. They all sound the same...long runs of notes that clutter every melody they sing. If people were true to their talent on these lame shows, there would be more of a variety.

Mainstream ANYTHING is very overrated. The majority of my favorite music I have to search far and wide to find others who I can talk to about it and enjoy it with. I'll always love RUSH but the popularity they've gained (while awesome for them) kind of bums me out because I kind of liked when they were all mine. LOL

• Like 1

Geddy wouldn't make it through one of those shows, no. He is unique and doesn't fit into the pop music style that they are looking for. Every.single.person that has won any of those shows may not sound exactly the same but they sure try to.
  • Like 1

Agree with everyone before me - Geddy wouldn't make it, because I think he is (or was, in the case way back then) too unique, and wouldn't fit in with the style of music of today. His singing style fit in with the 70s, and while that doesn't mean it couldn't contend with today, it probably wouldn't contend with what shows like American Idol (though I honestly haven't ever watched it, so I'm not entirely sure) put out there.

Though, hey, a few years back there was this band emerging called The Darkness, which was very much rooted in 70s style, with a shrieking, falsetto-fied singer, but that seems more of a 70s tribute than a modern band....

Also, I think part of American Idol-like shows is about the looks of the contestants. I'm not sure how they would have packaged gangly, teenaged-Geddy - maybe made him to be a pretty boy - but he might be overlooked in the musical department because of not being 'handsome' or whatever....

And for the record, and of course I say this with Rush-tinted glasses and the benefit of hindsight, I think Geddy was really cute as a late-teenager. All that hair, holy cow! And his cuteness has morphed into a certain degree of attractiveness today.... :yes: But I'm veering off course again....! :D

Edited by Mika
  • Like 2

Agree with everyone before me - Geddy wouldn't make it, because I think he is (or was, in the case way back then) too unique, and wouldn't fit in with the style of music of today. His singing style fit in with the 70s, and while that doesn't mean it couldn't contend with today, it probably wouldn't contend with what shows like American Idol (though I honestly haven't ever watched it, so I'm not entirely sure) put out there.

Though, hey, a few years back there was this band emerging called The Darkness, which was very much rooted in 70s style, with a shrieking, falsetto-fied singer, but that seems more of a 70s tribute than a modern band....

Also, I think part of American Idol-like shows is about the looks of the contestants. I'm not sure how they would have packaged gangly, teenaged-Geddy - maybe made him to be a pretty boy - but he might be overlooked in the musical department because of not being 'handsome' or whatever....

And for the record, and of course I say this with Rush-tinted glasses and the benefit of hindsight, I think Geddy was really cute as a late-teenager. All that hair, holy cow! And his cuteness has morphed into a certain degree of attractiveness today.... :yes: But I'm veering off course again....! :D

I am veering off as well but I would have had the BIGGEST crush on Geddy if we were in high school together.

:blush: