Why no Caress of Steel ROIO's?

zappafrank

Been having fun digging around YouTube for ROIO's and matching stuff up with DRE and 2112.net, and I've always found it curious that virtually no recordings seem to exist of the "Down the Tubes"/Caress of Steel tour.

Anyone know why this might be? I know it was a tough tour for them (hence the name), but I can't think of any reason why nothing seems to be floating around there. It's not like there weren't a lot of shows.

Been having fun digging around YouTube for ROIO's and matching stuff up with DRE and 2112.net, and I've always found it curious that virtually no recordings seem to exist of the "Down the Tubes"/Caress of Steel tour.

Anyone know why this might be? I know it was a tough tour for them (hence the name), but I can't think of any reason why nothing seems to be floating around there. It's not like there weren't a lot of shows.

There is one from Rockford Illinois on 11/15/75 when they were opening up for Kiss. So far that's the only one to ever surface. Hopefully there's at least another one somebody recorded when they were headlining somewhere. Who knows?

There is one from Rockford Illinois on 11/15/75 when they were opening up for Kiss. So far that's the only one to ever surface. Hopefully there's at least another one somebody recorded when they were headlining somewhere. Who knows?

http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/database/review.php?RecordingID=859

http://www.digitalru...RecordingID=859

Thanks for the replies, but I guess I should have been a bit more clear. In my OP, I did note that there were *virtually* no ROIO's; I'm aware of the basic one which has been linked.

I guess my question is more in a broad sense: how come there is essentially only the one ROIO of the tour (Rockford), given that the tour was by no means a quick jaunt for them?

Edited by zappafrank

http://www.digitalru...RecordingID=859

Thanks for the replies, but I guess I should have been a bit more clear. In my OP, I did note that there were *virtually* no ROIO's; I'm aware of the basic one which has been linked.

I guess my question is more in a broad sense: how come there is essentially only the one ROIO of the tour (Rockford), given that the tour was by no means a quick jaunt for them?

Because the tour failed miserably.

I'm going to risk a :bitchslap: , but what's a ROIO..?

It's something like "record of illegitimate origin" and is used mainly by Pink Floyd fans, for some crazy reason.

Why are there only two bootlegs from the FBN tour? Why are there only a handful of bootlegs from the early days of most 70's bands?

They were still an obscure band playing small clubs in backwater towns on a self-titled "Down the Tubes" tour.

Their own soundman from that era claims to have not recorded anything from that tour, due to the nature of the shows. I personally suspect that there are one or two more closely-held audience recordings in the hands of some collectors, but would be surprised if anything else surfaces.

• Like 1

It's something like "record of illegitimate origin" and is used mainly by Pink Floyd fans, for some crazy reason.

Recording of independent origin.

Recording of independent origin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootleg_recording

Wikipedia says indeterminate or independent.

A note to any collectors holding out on private COS tour recordings....

:moon: :moon: :rage: :smash: :tsk: :boohoo: :blah: :poke: :( :sarcastic: :moon: :moon:

I am sending you very bad juju for not sharing.... :nya nya:

• Like 2

...used mainly by Pink Floyd fans, for some crazy reason.

Yeah, that's exactly where I got it from, back in the crazy Usenet days of college in the mid/late '90's (via Telnet!). And it's actually the association I consciously make whenever I think of the term ROIO.

Publius Enigma!

Edited by zappafrank

Why are there only two bootlegs from the FBN tour? Why are there only a handful of bootlegs from the early days of most 70's bands?

They were still an obscure band playing small clubs in backwater towns on a self-titled "Down the Tubes" tour.

Their own soundman from that era claims to have not recorded anything from that tour, due to the nature of the shows. I personally suspect that there are one or two more closely-held audience recordings in the hands of some collectors, but would be surprised if anything else surfaces.

yup, on most band's first couple of tours, nobody's thinking about doing too many recording

What's interesting is that if you look at 2112.net, they state that there pretty much don't seem to be any records of any kinds of setlists for either FBN or CoS. Someone should ask the boys about that sometime; you have to believe that Neil of all people would have meticulous records of their sets.

Yeah...I still can't believe that nothing's come out over the years... re-reading my review over on the DRE I even said: "Hopefully, this will start a trend and more of these shows will surface!"

Big bummer that no one has found something in a box yet with a WHOLE show!

Speaking of DRE, it's very sad that the site has fallen into complete inactivity.

There is a lot of great material on DRE What happened to the guys in charge?

Speaking of DRE, it's very sad that the site has fallen into complete inactivity.

I believe the guy that originally ran it gave it up and it was taken over by another guy that goes by the nickname 'crazyrunner'. He obviously doesn't put the time in or doesn't have the time to do so. Maybe once the guys go on a long break? I mean look, I get that it wouldn't be an easy undertaking but it seems to me that if you don't have the time and/or inclination don't try in the first place. Edited by driventotheedge

I believe the guy that originally ran it gave it up and it was taken over by another guy that goes by the nickname 'crazyrunner'. He obviously doesn't put the time in or doesn't have the time to do so. Maybe once the guys go on a long break? I mean look, I get that it wouldn't be an easy undertaking but it seems to me that if you don't have the time and/or inclination don't try in the first place.

Clearly hundreds of hours were put into organizing it. Hope it does not go down completely. Most of the links seem to work right now though.

I believe the guy that originally ran it gave it up and it was taken over by another guy that goes by the nickname 'crazyrunner'. He obviously doesn't put the time in or doesn't have the time to do so. Maybe once the guys go on a long break? I mean look, I get that it wouldn't be an easy undertaking but it seems to me that if you don't have the time and/or inclination don't try in the first place.

Clearly hundreds of hours were put into organizing it. Hope it does not go down completely. Most of the links seem to work right now though.

I'm guessing it'll stay up for many years but as to whether or not it will ever be fully updated again, I have serious doubts.

Yeah, I used to trade with the guy that ran it...he had a great private trading site, and he helped me get a whole shit load of my first Rush shows by doing 2 for 1's, then once I got a decent amount, we got me in touch with other traders, and my collection expanded exponentially...met a lot of great guys out there trading as well... I remember when a few shows surfaced, he'd send out advanced copies to a few of us, then let people know who had them so we could get them out quickly and to a lot of people!

I also found a few rare shows with some traders, I found over the years that he mastered, and got out quickly as well... It was a fun time back then...now it's easy to get a lot of shows, but the "hunt" and barter doesn't happen too much... oh well...

But...When the DRE frst came into being, he solicited some of us for reviews, and I used to sit at work listening, and writing them up instead of working! hahaha!!

I remember when he was getting out, and the site got taken over by a new guy, I think he was just getting out of trading in general....but yeah, it's a shame no one really keeps it up anymore.

It is a little strange that the first tour has about a half-dozen or so recordings available and the Fly By Night, Caress Of Steel and 2112 tours clock in with with five known recordings from that era combined.

Things don't really start to get hopping again until the All The World's A Stage Tour

It is a little strange that the first tour has about a half-dozen or so recordings available and the Fly By Night, Caress Of Steel and 2112 tours clock in with with five known recordings from that era combined.

Things don't really start to get hopping again until the All The World's A Stage Tour

Not only that...the first tour and a half has some NICE sounding shows as well!

Very true. What often gets overlooked in the exposure of those Cleveland shows is the Electric Ladyland Studio gig that was also a radio broadcast. Very Cool. I love how it seems like there's live five people in the audience.

Very true. What often gets overlooked in the exposure of those Cleveland shows is the Electric Ladyland Studio gig that was also a radio broadcast. Very Cool. I love how it seems like there's live five people in the audience.

And an alternative version of Fly By Night.