Comic Books

liddybuck01

I used to collect, quit reading around the time the skrull invasion went down...it came out that spider-woman was a skrull or some shit, plus the books are just too damn expensive now....4 bucks for 32 pages of explosions? f**k that

I got my first yesterday. I posted about it in the Turn The Page thread. V For Vendetta.

that's a graphic novel. I don't really consider that a comic book.

Nitpicky. Often, comic collections or storylines are published in novel form even though they weren't originally. Some wouldn't even know the difference especially if they weren't even born during the graphic novel's first form as a comic ---->This happened to me a couple of years ago when one of my high school students was talking to me about the Wolverine graphic novel he was currently reading. It turned out that that graphic novel was originally a limited series run by Chris Claremont & Frank Miller which I had read as a kid in the early 80s. Side note: elements of that early 80s Wolverine limited series are making its way into the new Wolverine flick this summer.

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, one of the most respected graphic novels of all-time, was originally published as a limited series comic.

Nitpicky. Often, comic collections or storylines are published in novel form even though they weren't originally. Some wouldn't even know the difference especially if they weren't even born during the graphic novel's first form as a comic ---->This happened to me a couple of years ago when one of my high school students was talking to me about the Wolverine graphic novel he was currently reading. It turned out that that graphic novel was originally a limited series run by Chris Claremont & Frank Miller which I had read as a kid in the early 80s. Side note: elements of that early 80s Wolverine limited series are making its way into the new Wolverine flick this summer.

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, one of the most respected graphic novels of all-time, was originally published as a limited series comic.

oh for sure. I just mean that that specific one is a graphic novel.

and I know about the Wolverine story. I'm currently trying to get my hands on x-men 141&142 since I've heard that's what the story is.

So what's the difference..? :)

The term graphic novel was given to comic books so that they would be taken more seriously in academic context. By academic definition (as in, people who write papers on things they've read) they are one and the same but some people define graphic novels as a book containing a full story which comprises issues may have once been sold separately (like 300, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, The Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke, etc) and comic books as those individual separate books (the latest issue of Spiderman, or the series of comics in itself as a whole).

I don't collect individual issues, but I do buy whatever I plan on reading, usually compiled editions. I just finished the latest volume of The Unwritten by Mike Carey and Peter Gross and it's fairly interesting, one volume being in the form of a choose your own adventure (but it has more meaning than the ones done while in 5th grade :P ). I've been looking for something new to read.

and I know about the Wolverine story. I'm currently trying to get my hands on x-men 141&142 since I've heard that's what the story is.

Ah, X-Men 141 and 142 are for next year's new X-Men flick. Great story. imho, as far as X-Men stories go, it's second only to the Dark Phoenix saga (which they already f*cked up in X3)

Ah, X-Men 141 and 142 are for next year's new X-Men flick. Great story. imho, as far as X-Men stories go, it's second only to the Dark Phoenix saga (which they already f*cked up in X3)

Oh, despite how it's been marketed in the last 20 years or so, V for Vendetta originally was published as a comic

The term graphic novel was given to comic books so that they would be taken more seriously in academic context. By academic definition (as in, people who write papers on things they've read) they are one and the same but some people define graphic novels as a book containing a full story which comprises issues may have once been sold separately (like 300, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, The Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke, etc) and comic books as those individual separate books (the latest issue of Spiderman, or the series of comics in itself as a whole).

I see..! :) Thanks, USB! :D

oops, you're right. my bad. I shouldn't try to write posts at work when my brain is all mushy :LOL:

going to visit a friend tomorrow. going early to check out their local comic shops. I have my list and hubby's "want" list ready to go. I have a problem :LOL:

Babycat doesn't need to read comics because she is a secret comic book hero in reality! She's known as the BABY CAT, funnily enough, and she stalks the rooftops of Great Britain in a very tight soft pink leather outfit! :pussy: :o :smoke:
  • Like 1

Babycat doesn't need to read comics because she is a secret comic book hero in reality! She's known as the BABY CAT, funnily enough, and she stalks the rooftops of Great Britain in a very tight soft pink leather outfit! :pussy: :o :smoke:

:LMAO: !

:cheerleader: :hi:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/06/Patsy_Walker_%28Hellcat%29.jpg
  • Like 1

:D

:D

Yes and a yellow one too! :pussy:

Thanks for clarifying that. I didn't know the difference either. :cheers:

Thanks for clarifying that. I didn't know the difference either. :cheers:

You're welcome. I'm glad it helped.

graphic novels are comic books. i worked in comic shops for years all through college and HS.

I collected for probably 15 years or so. stopped around 1999.

what did i miss?

graphic novels are comic books. i worked in comic shops for years all through college and HS.

I collected for probably 15 years or so. stopped around 1999.

what did i miss?

The Ultimates (without which The Avengers and all the solo films wouldn't have been made), 1602, 1985, Kick Ass (a thousand times better than the film adaptation), Spidey and Wolverine joining the Avengers, etc. I don't even really collect anymore. I just randomly pick up whatever about 2-3 times a year