Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

ShlappinDahBass

Alex's speech would've been more effective and funny if it was about a third of its length. Lol

It was just under 3 minutes.

How would you express the same thing in less than 1 minute?

So people just don't get great performance art.

"The noises in Lerxst's head", as Dirk would say.

We were privy to the inner brilliance of Alex Lifeson.

• Like 2

Alright everyone,

Time to reflect on what we saw during the HBO special of the induction. Personally, I thought it was half good and half bad. The Donna Summers and Public Enemy parts bored me to tears and I didn't really pay attention at all. The Foo Fighters are possibly the biggest RUSH fans ever. The Crossroads all star jam at the end was awesome! Alex destroyed the guitar solo!

Love to hear some "Feedback"!

To all the PUBLIC ENEMY haters out there....

Only one other inductee showed RUSH some love and respect!!

I didn't see Heart or Randy Newman posing for pictures with RUSH or giving out hugs.

Flavor Flav was rockin' out during the entire RUSH performance, I respect that.

Face it, from the point of view of the establishment and the cool crowd, Oprah et al, RUSH and Public Enemy were the loud party guests, knocking shit over and making a scene. So they found each other and bonded. f**k the cool crowd.

• Like 3

Alex's speech would've been more effective and funny if it was about a third of its length. Lol

Agreed. It was too much of a good thing.

Alex really SNLed it. For those unfamilar with the problem with SNL these days, it's that they take a legitimately funny idea, and kill it by making the skit 10 minutes too long. Short and sweet drives the point home, and Alex's speech would have been much better at 1/3 the length, IMO.

Alright everyone,

Time to reflect on what we saw during the HBO special of the induction. Personally, I thought it was half good and half bad. The Donna Summers and Public Enemy parts bored me to tears and I didn't really pay attention at all. The Foo Fighters are possibly the biggest RUSH fans ever. The Crossroads all star jam at the end was awesome! Alex destroyed the guitar solo!

Love to hear some "Feedback"!

To all the PUBLIC ENEMY haters out there....

Only one other inductee showed RUSH some love and respect!!

I didn't see Heart or Randy Newman posing for pictures with RUSH or giving out hugs.

Flavor Flav was rockin' out during the entire RUSH performance, I respect that.

Face it, from the point of view of the establishment and the cool crowd, Oprah et al, RUSH and Public Enemy were the loud party guests, knocking shit over and making a scene. So they found each other and bonded. f**k the cool crowd.

As much as I don't like the guy, Mayer was really jealous of the RUSH fans that attended. I remember he said something along the lines of "I wish RUSH fans attended my shows."

We're a force to be reckoned with.

I finally watched the whole thing last night, and I came away knowing one thing. I need to get me some Albert King!!! I'm not a big blues fan, but King whales on that guitar! I'll be picking up Born Under A Bad Sign in the very near future. :haz:

I finally watched the whole thing last night, and I came away knowing one thing. I need to get me some Albert King!!! I'm not a big blues fan, but King whales on that guitar! I'll be picking up Born Under A Bad Sign in the very near future. :haz:

Yes I also need to get into Albert King. And I loved Quincy Jones speech. I had no idea who he was but that speech was just so perfect.

Ok...I haven't read thru the whole thread but...Alex's speech was classic. It mocked the RRHOF.

Let me explain it to you.

He told the story of starting out as a band. Playing. Having hits songs. Then getting to 25 years and eligible. Then when he starts with the meaner sounding "blah blah blah's" it's him basically saying that it was BS they didn't get elected OR that people said that. Then he imitated a phone call from the RRHOF saying they got in. He got his speech out where people probably thought he might actually speak..then he does a "blah blah blah" thank you to Geddy and Alex and ends with thanking the fans. Re-watch it with that in mind and you will realize it was PURE COMEDIC FU RRHOF GENIUS! Also playing The Spirit of Radio instead of Limelight was telling at least to me...."glittering prizes and endless compromises, shatters the illusion of integrity".

And Dave Grohl saying "cough rolling stone" was freaking awesome! Best indictment EVER! (see Neil's speech before you say "it's induction"

• Like 2

I watched the Heart portion and of course the Rush part

I loved the Foos speech. Pure enthusiasm and respect

Rush played very well

Geddy's vocals were very rough. He just can't do it anymore

The high notes just aren't happening but he's old

Alex's speech was more annoying than funny

It would have been fine for a minute or so and then say an

actual speech. Neil was eloquent. His nose nice and red. No biggie

All star jam was cool

2112 covet was good

Not too bad at all the whole thing

Yes Alex's speech was especially annoying since he said nothing at all... :blah:

... :blah:

If you thought he said nothing at all than you may want to catch up on Rush's history with the RRHOF. For anyone who thought it was annoying than you people are sorely lacking in the humor department. Listen to the audience during his speech and he is getting big laughs from people for a couple of minutes straight. Do you know how hard it is for a comedian to do the same thing? There are not a lot of comedians that can do that. (The ones that can are usually the best.). I was laughing throughout most of it and I still laugh every time I watch it. That, my friends, was pure comedic genius!

:goodone: :clap:

Hey Goobs...hope you are doing well!

And I agree :goodone:

Maybe it's time to tune down another half step. Lee was rough. But a very proud moment as a fan.

I feel really torn about the Geddy voice issue.

I want to be really excited that Rush is finally getting all the massive popularity and adulation that they've gotten in recent years, and mostly because I want newer fans or newer potential fans to be introduced to their music. Watching them last night, most of me was thinking how could anyone not appreciate and love such beautifully complex music delivered in such a deceptively simple and melodic sounding way. How could anyone NOT want to pursue Rush's music after hearing such musicianship?

But, and there's always that thorn in the side nagging but, which is Geddy's voice live. It's such a shame as their playing is top notch - it's really never been better, but his vocals are so rough and he sounds like he's struggling SO much that I think it could be a real turn off to those who don't know what those songs are supposed to sound like. I could so easily see a new or potential fan hearing it and going, "WOW, that is so cool, but what the hell is up with those vocals?" Now, I know the irony of that is that a lot of people have said that over the decades when Geddy's voice was sounding the way it should sound, but now it can be a turn off for such a different reason - for the simple and incredibly harsh fact that Geddy just really can't sing any more live. At best he sounds like he gets through a song, but at worst it's a lot less than that, and it keeps getting progressively worse.

As much as a shame it would be if the boys stopped touring, it's really getting to the point where that one aspect is making them not up to the professional standards they've always had. I think it's time for them to give it up when that happens, though perhaps they could still make studio albums as with enough time and rest he's able to pull off singing in the studio - maybe not how he once could, but at least to acceptable standards.

Of course many here will seriously disagree with me, and it's a subject almost no one wants to discuss, but it's getting harder and harder to ignore. As long time hardcore fans, we can kind of fill in with our brains with how the vocals are supposed to be, but to someone hearing it for the first time, or for the first time live, I could see it being a real detriment to their listening experience and seriously inconsistent with the rest of their outstanding musicianship and performances. And even being able to fill in myself what it's supposed to sound like, I'd be lying if I said there weren't a lot of cringeworthy moments in there... :(

Taking it down another half step or full step could help - he simply can't try and sing the songs the way he used to as it just isn't working - I'd rather have it be in a whole other key or sung very differently than just sounding bad.

Ged couldn't have been that bad??!! :drool: :cosmo:

• Like 1

Maybe it's time to tune down another half step. Lee was rough. But a very proud moment as a fan.

I want to be really excited that Rush is finally getting all the massive popularity and adulation that they've gotten in recent years, and mostly because I want newer fans or newer potential fans to be introduced to their music. Watching them last night, most of me was thinking how could anyone not appreciate and love such beautifully complex music delivered in such a deceptively simple and melodic sounding way. How could anyone NOT want to pursue Rush's music after hearing such musicianship?

But, and there's always that thorn in the side nagging but, which is Geddy's voice live. It's such a shame as their playing is top notch - it's really never been better, but his vocals are so rough and he sounds like he's struggling SO much that I think it could be a real turn off to those who don't know what those songs are supposed to sound like. I could so easily see a new or potential fan hearing it and going, "WOW, that is so cool, but what the hell is up with those vocals?" Now, I know the irony of that is that a lot of people have said that over the decades when Geddy's voice was sounding the way it should sound, but now it can be a turn off for such a different reason - for the simple and incredibly harsh fact that Geddy just really can't sing any more live. At best he sounds like he gets through a song, but at worst it's a lot less than that, and it keeps getting progressively worse.

As much as a shame it would be if the boys stopped touring, it's really getting to the point where that one aspect is making them not up to the professional standards they've always had. I think it's time for them to give it up when that happens, though perhaps they could still make studio albums as with enough time and rest he's able to pull off singing in the studio - maybe not how he once could, but at least to acceptable standards.

Of course many here will seriously disagree with me, and it's a subject almost no one wants to discuss, but it's getting harder and harder to ignore. As long time hardcore fans, we can kind of fill in with our brains with how the vocals are supposed to be, but to someone hearing it for the first time, or for the first time live, I could see it being a real detriment to their listening experience and seriously inconsistent with the rest of their outstanding musicianship and performances. And even being able to fill in myself what it's supposed to sound like, I'd be lying if I said there weren't a lot of cringeworthy moments in there... :(

Taking it down another half step or full step could help - he simply can't try and sing the songs the way he used to as it just isn't working - I'd rather have it be in a whole other key or sung very differently than just sounding bad.

Pay Goobs no mind. Geddy wasn't bad. He was not at his best either, but that can be easily forgiven. I'm sure he spoke a lot before hand, so that was being out of routine. He's sounded great on the CA tour, and he was bringing it at the RRHOF as the professional he is.

:hail: :rush:

Pay Goobs no mind. Geddy wasn't bad. He was not at his best either, but that can be easily forgiven. I'm sure he spoke a lot before hand, so that was being out of routine. He's sounded great on the CA tour, and he was bringing it at the RRHOF as the professional he is.

Geddy wasn't at his best indeed. But that's because he didn't do a vocal warm-up before the performance. His vocal chords were not warmed up, therefore he sang like he had no control over his voice. His voice sounded different on the induction show

He usually sounds better on the tour concerts for that same reason - he does a warm up before every show.

• Like 2

Geddy wasn't at his best indeed. But that's because he didn't do a vocal warm-up before the performance. His vocal chords were not warmed up, therefore he sang like he had no control over his voice. His voice sounded different on the induction show

He usually sounds better on the tour concerts for that same reason - he does a warm up before every show.

I don't know, every time I bring up a Geddy vocal fail, people come up with all kind of reasons and excuses why. The fact that people keep needing to come to his defense says a lot. And I'm not saying what you or anyone else is saying is untrue, but regardless of why, most seem to agree that his vocals weren't up to par. Rush fans are a LOT more forgiving than anyone else is going to be, and that was the one night to get them a lot of exposure to a lot of NON Rush fans.

But, he will never match the glory of this again! ;)

• Like 1

He's been worse, but it was bad enough to be really notable and unfortunately a bit cringeworthy. The one thing that was good is that he enunciated really well and you could really understand the lyrics.... but he was still struggling big time.

I don't know, every time I bring up a Geddy vocal fail, people come up with all kind of reasons and excuses why. The fact that people keep needing to come to his defense says a lot. And I'm not saying what you or anyone else is saying is untrue, but regardless of why, most seem to agree that his vocals weren't up to par. Rush fans are a LOT more forgiving than anyone else is going to be, and that was the one night to get them a lot of exposure to a lot of NON Rush fans.

The fact that people keep needing to come to his defense says a lot.

Yup.

I loved it all and am sad they ovation didn't make the HBO show as it's unbelievably moving. Maybe they thought it made the other inductees feel bad, who knows. As far as Rush's performance, I was hoping they would do The Garden or Wish Them Well which I think the general non-listening public would've enjoyed since The Garden flows nicely and Wish Them Well has a nice hook, then YYZ or another instrumental to show off their chops. Did anyone notice how Alex as holding the trophy when they first walked up? I was like "Oh no, he didn't."

No forced excuse here, just an explanation why he sounded bad and why it's an unusual case.

Don't get me wrong; I know Geddy is not at his best and might not be at a vocal peak anymore, it's really sad to think about. However, IMO he sounds way better on the tour. And I fully agree with you, the induction night wasn't good, vocally, but that's because of the same reason I mentioned before - he didn't warm up! His tone was great and fresh, but the whole vocal performance was ruined because of his struggle to control his own voice, even on a song like Tom Sawyer which he manages to nail during shows.

Being a singer and a bass player myself, I know it's really hard to give a decent vocal performance when you're not warmed up. Sad but true...

But like ShlappinDahBass said, the crossroads moment was good indeed. :D

Edited by Sticklight

No forced excuse here, just an explanation why he sounded bad and why it's an unusual case.

Don't get me wrong; I know Geddy is not at his best and might not be at a vocal peak anymore, it's really sad to think about. However, IMO he sounds way better on the tour. And I fully agree with you, the induction night wasn't good, vocally, but that's because of the same reason I mentioned before - he didn't warm up! His tone was great and fresh, but the whole vocal performance was ruined because of his struggle to control his own voice, even on a song like Tom Sawyer which he manages to nail during shows.

Being a singer and a bass player myself, I know it's really hard to give a decent vocal performance when you're not warmed up. Sad but true...

If that's the case, why on earth wouldn't he warm up before such a prestigious performance?

If that's the case, why on earth wouldn't he warm up before such a prestigious performance?

It was the wine. ;)

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the only people still thinking about Lee's vocal performance that night are die-hard fans.

Side note: an old flatmate of mine who is a fan (though not hardcore....he has maybe 5 or 6 Rush albums) thought they sounded fine. His gf who apparently didn't like Rush before is now willing to check them out in concert....all due to what she saw at that induction. So, their performance reached some for sure

Holy overeaction.

Ged can still bring it live - he sounds great on this tour, go see them.

I don't care that his voice is a little rough around the edges. So what? His performance at the HOF was good, not great, but not at all "cringeworthy" and certainly won't turn off any potential new fans any more then his 20 year old screech would. C'mon

• Like 4