Has Rush ever helped you grieve?

crimsonfrippy

I'm glad you're doing well. You'll be honoring your father everytime you practise acts of kindness, and everytime you'll do so, his values will live on in this world.

Thank you, Phantom. Your kind words are helping more than you know. :)

Keep well Fripp.. Your Dad is proud of you. :)

Phantom- now see you are going to make me cry...but in a good way, I promise! :D

My friend Bill Grizzle (aka Grandpa Grizz on TRF) died 4 or 5 years ago. Music was very important to him, and that's how we first connected here on TRF. I was able to do a radio show tribute for him, and I played some of his favorite songs, including some appropriate Rush songs - Afterimage, Closer to the Heart, Hope, The Sphere from Hemispheres, etc. - it definitely fit well and helped me and I think others somewhat with the grieving process. :wub: Edited by rushgoober
  • Like 2

Well Fripp, well if it's in a good way, then I'm happy. :)

Having lost my mother, many years ago, I know only too well the stinging pain of a loss as great as yours. It's a searing pain like no other.

But I once heard a man speak about loss and bereavement, and his words comforted me then, and now, more than any other words I've ever heard. I hope they bring comfort to you too.

Death seeks to obliterate the footprints that we leave on earth, and to erase our loved ones presence. BUT memories of our loved ones denies death that final victory - as if to say that it can take my mother from this earth but it can't take her from me. Our memories and our love are not stronger than death, because they can't bring them back. BUT, they are not weaker either, because as long as we remember them, they have not disappeared. To feel that we have lost them, but we haven't lost them - that they are gone, but they are here.

Frippy, I know you'll never forget your father, and just know that all the good things you do in your lifetime will keep him here.

Best to you and your family....

• Like 1

Phantom, thanks again for your kind words. I have needed to read them over the last few days.

The next couple of months are going to be hard because my parents' anniversary, my dad's birthday and my mom's birthday all come up. I can't go see my mom for her birthday because of a new policy at work regarding time off and I haven't told her yet. Not sure how she is going to be when I give her the bad news. Keep trying to remember that I have no control over things, i.e. new policy, how my mom is handling things, etc.

Grace under pressure...that is all I keep saying to myself. :cool:

Thanks again.

Cheers,

frippy

Just a quick note to everyone who has responded to this thread, liked posts, sent me a pm or has become my friend, thank you ALL for helping me. I felt really weird at first about starting this thread but I am glad I did. Have "met" some of the nicest people and I really appreciate you guys being there for me and helping me.

Thank you for just being you and for :rush: for bringing you into my life.

Cheers,

frippy

• Like 2

Awwwwww,frippy,so very much so sorry about your dad!!!!!! ;( I will keep you in my prayers you can talk to me anytime you want
  • Like 1

Doing okay today. Been thinking about him alot because my parents' anniversary is next week. They would have been married 46 years. Sounds like a long time and I guess it is since so many couples don't make it.

I've been reflecting on other stuff too since today is Memorial Day. Thinking about all of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

• Like 1

Phantom, thanks again for your kind words. I have needed to read them over the last few days.

The next couple of months are going to be hard because my parents' anniversary, my dad's birthday and my mom's birthday all come up. I can't go see my mom for her birthday because of a new policy at work regarding time off and I haven't told her yet. Not sure how she is going to be when I give her the bad news. Keep trying to remember that I have no control over things, i.e. new policy, how my mom is handling things, etc.

Grace under pressure...that is all I keep saying to myself. :cool:

Thanks again.

Cheers,

frippy

You've got that right Frippy... there are some things we have no control over.

I've been through the first's (anniversary's, bday's, etc) and they are all very tough.

Just remember, when we honestly ask ourselves which people in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain, and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand.

I have no doubt that there are many people who are there for you, including many here in this forum, who will lighten the load by sharing your grief.

Keep well Frippy!

Cheers,

• Like 2

First and foremost, I'm so sorry to hear of your losses. I know just how it feels.

My dad passed away February 24, 2012 due to colon cancer. My last vacation I had with him were in Germany, and he complained about pain in the stomach. He and everyone else thought it was constipation, and when at first he got to the hospital they didn't find anything. He went to a different hospital who said he had cancer. I don't know what they precisely told him, but he never told me or my sister and brother about how bleak the situation was. I think he couldn't bear breaking our hearts, and in hindsight I think he didn't want to break his own. He was only 54 and by no means done living. He had a big heart and zest for life, and he really did fight to the end.

I'll never forget the day my aunt called me with a somber voice, that he was about to pass away. We didn't live in the same city, so I dropped everything and went as quickly as I could. I was going to meet my big brother halfway there, and drive the rest of the way with him. Before I met with my brother, our dad had passed away. That was the longest drive of my life.

I thank God that my little sister made it. She held his hand, as he slipped away.

There is one song in particular that touches me so much, that I'm still not able to lidten to it: Bell Bottom Blues, the line "I don't want to fade away" is really how my dad felt. He never will. He left his mark on all those who were lucky to meet him.

Have Rush helped me grieve? Yes they have. My dad introduced me to them, and I was hooked. When I saw them in Amsterdam this tour "The Wreckers" was something speciel. During that song and "The Garden" I felt a comfort and had a feeling my dad was with me.

Reading your stories helps me a lot, and I hope I can repay that by sharing mine. Thanks for your time.

Lots of love

First and foremost, I'm so sorry to hear of your losses. I know just how it feels.

My dad passed away February 24, 2012 due to colon cancer. My last vacation I had with him were in Germany, and he complained about pain in the stomach. He and everyone else thought it was constipation, and when at first he got to the hospital they didn't find anything. He went to a different hospital who said he had cancer. I don't know what they precisely told him, but he never told me or my sister and brother about how bleak the situation was. I think he couldn't bear breaking our hearts, and in hindsight I think he didn't want to break his own. He was only 54 and by no means done living. He had a big heart and zest for life, and he really did fight to the end.

I'll never forget the day my aunt called me with a somber voice, that he was about to pass away. We didn't live in the same city, so I dropped everything and went as quickly as I could. I was going to meet my big brother halfway there, and drive the rest of the way with him. Before I met with my brother, our dad had passed away. That was the longest drive of my life.

I thank God that my little sister made it. She held his hand, as he slipped away.

There is one song in particular that touches me so much, that I'm still not able to lidten to it: Bell Bottom Blues, the line "I don't want to fade away" is really how my dad felt. He never will. He left his mark on all those who were lucky to meet him.

Have Rush helped me grieve? Yes they have. My dad introduced me to them, and I was hooked. When I saw them in Amsterdam this tour "The Wreckers" was something speciel. During that song and "The Garden" I felt a comfort and had a feeling my dad was with me.

Reading your stories helps me a lot, and I hope I can repay that by sharing mine. Thanks for your time.

Lots of love

Thank you for sharing your story. I thought my dad passing away at 67 was young; 54 is too young. Sending hugs your way- :hug2:

Take care,

frippy

• Like 2

Thank you, frippy :hug2:

I really like this forum. There is so much love and compassion for one another.

Yes, everyone is tremendously supportive. Really have helped me out the last few weeks and I am very grateful for them.

:D

• Like 2

It's not Rush, it's not even a particular band- it's a song.

My grandmother passed away when I was 17, and the last time I saw her she sat me down and had me listen to "Music Box Dancer" by Frank Mills and told me it must be played at her memorial service. She told me it was "the most beautiful song I've ever heard."

It was played at the service, and I crumbled. For 2 years I couldn't listen to it without bursting into tears, but it helped me grieve.

Just over 5 years later and it hurts just as badly as it did when I first found out she was gone. After 6 years of unimaginable physical pain and being a prisoner in her own body, she was free.

Listening to it now and am choking back tears >.<

I play it full volume every now and then so we can listen together <3

Oh, and I listened to it with one headphone in my ear and the other in my then-newborn daughter's ear right after she was born. That was my way of making sure Grandma Teri was there to see her new great grandbaby.

She was the strongest woman I have ever known, she is my hero. I miss her every day.

Edited by hobo73
  • Like 2

Indeed. I posted a while back that The Garden really meant alot to me and helped me through the sudden passing of my mom, which was rough, especially with me being 17 when it happened. Mom was never a Rush fan, but she would have loved The Garden. The album also came out right around her death. The album as a whole means alot to me.

Indeed. I posted a while back that The Garden really meant alot to me and helped me through the sudden passing of my mom, which was rough, especially with me being 17 when it happened. Mom was never a Rush fan, but she would have loved The Garden. The album also came out right around her death. The album as a whole means alot to me.

So sorry about your mom's passing. I know what you mean about the album meaning so much to you. As I've listened to it since my father's death it comforts me in a way, don't know how to describe it.

Take care FountainofSyrinx,

frippy

So sorry about your mom's passing. I know what you mean about the album meaning so much to you. As I've listened to it since my father's death it comforts me in a way, don't know how to describe it.

Take care FountainofSyrinx,

frippy

Thanks for the kind words. I hope you're holding up okay. It doesn't matter how you cope, as long as you cope. Hang in there friend!

• Like 1

My dad passed away of brain cancer in May. The Garden could have been the theme to his life. Rush has helped me grieve many times before, but none quite like this. My thoughts are out to you and your family.
  • Like 2

My dad passed away of brain cancer in May. The Garden could have been the theme to his life. Rush has helped me grieve many times before, but none quite like this. My thoughts are out to you and your family.

Thinking of you and your family, Nate1647.

Take care,

frippy