Guitarists - what is the most FUN song to play?

mrvander

What is the most FUN Rush song for you to play personally and why? Some ideas may be the one that may be the most challenging, the one you feel you have "nailed", the one that just has that one section you love or that solo you like to play note for note. I know picking just one is nigh impossible, so post multiple times!

I'll start with Far Cry. I love playing this one. Rush syncopations and drop beats, the throwback to the Page style riffing, kick in the wah pedal for the verse, then jump to Townshend-style strumming before launching into the typical Lifeson-style chord voicings during the chorus. Playing this song with energy that sustains throughout and even builds later in the song - ending with a resounding Hemispheres chord voice. Simply fun from front to back.

Presto! Took me the better part of a year to be able to do it but I love to play it!

The Fountain Of Lamneth. It is probably my favorite song and I can play probably 95% of it.

I'll add some more. I love fast, single string riffing. Songs that include this are Bastille Day which leads into the fun power chords (very similar is Headlong Flight), the bridge from Secret Touch has that single string riffing I so love (the whole song is fun too, except the chorus pattern - just long, sliding notes there) Then of course, Driven is great fun. I love the change from the riff to strumming to power chords in the chorus and that bridge section is all over the fretboard, much fun!

Rivendell, if you play it at four times the actual tempo, is quite a hoot. Also the single note patterns in Dreamline, xanadu, and Jacobs Ladder are very similar to each other and are fun to play.

I used Jacob's Ladder to build up my pinky dexterity way back when I was a kid.

Opening riff to Spirit of Radio. I tried to teach myself that back in my guitar playing days and not only was it fun it was really hard too lol

Come on, folks. Give a little bit of analysis as to WHY these are your favorite songs to play on guitar. Let's have a conversation, not just a list of Rush songs. Do a little bit of self-analysis as to why you find a certain song fun.

Opening riff to Spirit of Radio. I tried to teach myself that back in my guitar playing days and not only was it fun it was really hard too lol

I still don't have this to this day. I gave up a long time ago on this riff and never revisited it. I "cheat" when I do play it - non-guitarist/non-rush fans can't tell the difference, but it's not right. I should tackle this again someday.

If I recall, I couldn't quite get the picking right to hit that open E after the fretted D and have it sound smooth.

Come on, folks. Give a little bit of analysis as to WHY these are your favorite songs to play on guitar. Let's have a conversation, not just a list of Rush songs. Do a little bit of self-analysis as to why you find a certain song fun.

This is easy-

"In the End"

I have only been playing for about 1.5 years, and am not much beyond changing a few chords. Most of "In the End" can be played by repeating the same 4 chords (D-G-F-C) ... for 6 minutes :)..... Plus, a Bm and two power chords (don't know what they are called) to finish it off.

My own personal musical ambition is to be able to play the solo of "In the End" one day

• Like 1

This is easy-

"In the End"

I have only been playing for about 1.5 years, and am not much beyond changing a few chords. Most of "In the End" can be played by repeating the same 4 chords (D-G-F-C) ... for 6 minutes :)..... Plus, a Bm and two power chords (don't know what they are called) to finish it off.

My own personal musical ambition is to be able to play the solo of "In the End" one day

I always though this was a great guitar song. I just love that halfway point where they rip into the blarring guitar riff!

Best has to be on that one Bootleg from cleveland called Lost Order Of Angels or something, when Geddy does the countdown. 1, 2, 3, 4444444444444444444444444444444444!!!

I don't play guitar but my favorite "Air Guitar" would have to be Kid Gloves. That riff just seems so cool, reminds of that "Cliffs of Dover" song by that one guy I can't remember.

• Like 1

I still don't have this to this day. I gave up a long time ago on this riff and never revisited it. I "cheat" when I do play it - non-guitarist/non-rush fans can't tell the difference, but it's not right. I should tackle this again someday.

If I recall, I couldn't quite get the picking right to hit that open E after the fretted D and have it sound smooth.

I still can't play it either. I'm guessing it is a mental thing as I haven't tried to figure it out in probably 10 years. I don't think I ever got close either. Another reason is that we've all heard the song a million times and I'd rather focus my efforts on other tunes.

This is easy-

"In the End"

I always though this was a great guitar song. I just love that halfway point where they rip into the blarring guitar riff!

Best has to be on that one Bootleg from cleveland called Lost Order Of Angels or something, when Geddy does the countdown. 1, 2, 3, 4444444444444444444444444444444444!!!

I don't play guitar but my favorite "Air Guitar" would have to be Kid Gloves. That riff just seems so cool, reminds of that "Cliffs of Dover" song by that one guy I can't remember.

Absolutely! The transition between the acoustic intro and the slamming part! Geddy had so many little variations on how he segewayed the two parts- "one, two, buckle-my-shoe" on ATWAS. But the 1, 2, 3, fffffoooouuuuuurrrrrrrrr- on the "5th Order of Angels" has got to be one of the all time greatest rock shrieks ever recorded! In other live versions, Geddy humms along with the solo.

The hard part about playing "In the End" along with the version on Fly By Night is that the tuning is odd on the intro acoustic part- I can't tell if it is in a different key or is the guitar tuned down?

This is easy-

"In the End"

Eric Johnson

They're all fun to play but Natural Science is a stand out. All the movements are quite different and the chord voicings going on in the Permanent Waves section are an prime example of what is so great about Alex's playing. Most covers I've seen miss these voicings completely.