My opinion on Clockwork Angels

starscreamsrevenge

Ok, here's my verdict on Clockwork Angels (and I've a feeling some of you may not like it). I've had these feelings for 12 months so here goes:

SONIC ISSUES

Sonically it is a REAL letdown, everything is mashed and compressed to the hilt and I have to FORCE myself to listen to the album. I NEVER get past about track four, and I skip the albums songs constantly to hear the majority of the album.

In this whole 12 months I just CANNOT listen to this the whole way through. The vinyl version is slightly better soundwise, but it seems when Geddy's vocals come in, it mushes everything else up.

I suppose this is what you get if your producer records during the morning and mixes through the afternoon. I CAN"T believe a professional producer would do that to a product. I'm undertaking a production course and one of the basic 'rules' if you like is all about ear fatigue. A fine example of how NOT to do it is on this album.

SONG ISSUES

Ok, when the single of Caravan/BU2B came out I was excited!! Rush were back and sounding better than ever (even the sonics sounded great). I had VERY high hopes for this album and couldn't wait for it to come out.

I think the biggest thing which hurt this album was the guys doing the Time Machine Tour for two years and THEN finishing the album. To me, the rest of the songs are very predictable and are too much of the same style of song. The great thing with early Rush (such as Farewell, Permanent Waves etc) there is a variety of styles on the album which gives the listener something different to appreciate (such as 'Cinderella Man' , 'Entre Nous', 'Different Strings' etc etc) when coupled with the heavier numbers gives an overall cohersion to the album in my opinion. I think if the guys had finished the album before going out on tour, I think the end result would have been very different.

The lyrics also are kind of treading on the same path we've had time and again since the 80s, Neil's views and insecurities. Now I have nothing but respect for Neil coming to terms with all the tragedy he's faced over the years and I suppose you can appreciate him going down this route lyrically for a couple of albums, but why for a couple of songs can't he change the subject matter? His sci-fi lyrics are wonderful.

WHERE TO GO NOW

I know Rush have had a long and varied career and experimented with a lot of different styles, but lets face it, when we think of Rush, do we REALLY think of songs like Marathon or Presto to describe the band, or do we talk about 2112 and Farewell to Kings? From 2112 - Signals (though I have a REAL issue with side 2 of Moving Pictures) the band were on FIRE production wise and song content. These songs have endured for nearly 40 years, there must be a reason for this.

I would LOVE for the guys to bury the hatchet with Terry Brown and use Terry's guidance to shape the album we've been waiting for since 1982. Something major obviously occured in the studio during Signals, but lets face it, they're both not getting any younger. Terry was the fourth member of Rush in my opinion, so for him to return to what would probably be the bands final album would bring the process full circle.

Its not like Terry's been idle either, he's still working in the industry, the most recent of which is a band called 'Blurred Vision'. He's also produced 'Fates Warning' and 'Silent Running' over the years, even producing "I Just Died In Your Arms" for 'Cutting Crew' in 1986.

What does everyone think? These thoughts are obviously MY opinion so lets not get into silly arguments over whose right or wrong (no-one is - we've all got our 'Freewill')

• Like 1

What do I think? I disagree with nearly every sentence. :LOL:

Same here......the OP lost me at "I can't listen to the whole thing". Hell.....I can't NOT listen to the whole thing.

• Like 8

What do I think? I disagree with nearly every sentence. :LOL:

Same here......the OP lost me at "I can't listen to the whole thing". Hell.....I can't NOT listen to the whole thing.

And me. I think it's great! :ebert:

• Like 3

The only thing that i might agree on i guess ,is the sonic issue of clock work ( loudness - compressed) Only because the audiophile experts have spoken on here numerous times about this. .... But it sounds ok to me but what do i know. :huh: :P Edited by softfilter

It's not my favorite album, but it's no slouch! To me it was a SLIGHT let down after Snakes and Arrows (which I thoroughly LOVED!) I really HATED Vapor Trails, but it's not the first time a Rush album just didn't sit well with me (Test For Echo and Roll the Bones comes to mind) But Clockwork Angels (IMHO) is a really good album!

It's obvious that the person that started this thread likes the Terry Brown era, and yeah, I'd be interested in hearing what he'd do with the boys in this day and age...but for a band that's lasted THIS long, they still have listen-able albums! Trust me...my favorite years were up through Moving Pictures. (Signals has it's moments) But the next few years after that, I wasn't that enthusiastic about their output.

I also remember a few years back when Kansas tried releasing some new music, and it was pretty bad...in fact they really didn't even play much of it on the tours in which it was released. At LEAST the band knows that they can stand behind this album, and play it all!

Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 2

.....but lets face it, when we think of Rush, do we REALLY think of songs like .....

There is no "we". There are only individual fans, who have their own opinions and definitions of the band. There is NO collective mind amongst Rush fans or any group of fans anywhere else. There are all kinds of fans who dig all the band's albums for varying reasons.

If you want to live in the past and focus only on the albums from 30-40 years ago, then go right ahead. Just don't expect anyone else to join you.

• Like 4

Vinyl for Clockwork Angels sounds fantastic. I don't know what speakers you're using that you can judge it this way. Granted the CD version sounds iffy but I usually adjust my equalizer to my liking and it sounds perfectly fine.

When I think Rush, I think their whole career. That's just me. But I think about the troubles they have gone through and how it has shaped them to become who they are now. For guys hitting their 60's, they're rocking out more than ever and have so much more talent in their playing than ever before. You take The Anarchist, for example: It's a HARD song to do! Maybe not so much on guitar but drums and bass/vocals. Most people tend to not recognize everything Neil, Alex, and Geddy are doing. They just try and listen to the sounds that are easier to hear and judge from those terms. Ever since Test for Echo, Neil has had his high hat going through nearly EVERY song he does now. People tend to not understand how difficult it is to have four limbs constantly doing different things all the time (go check out John Bonham, the man is a machine). Geddy: with his complex bass playing while singing...and some songs his bass and vocals are doing completely different melodies. THAT is a tough thing to do, especially for the kind of progressive music Rush plays. Alex: As listeners, some don't even think he's that fantastic of a guitarist. It's completely incorrect. Have you taken a listen to Rush and ever cringed during a solo he's played? Or just a melody he plays and go "That was a weird note he just played." I sure as heck don't. You can go out and there and listen to some pretty famous guitarist, Jimmy Page, and when he rips in solos sometimes, I can't help but cringe on some songs and go "Why would he play that note and keep it in a recording?"

We, as Rush fans, are so spoiled with Alex and take it for granted. I'm not saying he is the BEST guitarist out there. But, he is one killer guitarist that is perfect for Neil and Geddy. He knows his stuff when it comes to sounds and melodies.

And every album from them still speaks loudly with their musicianship. Given if it's Presto or Hold Your Fire. They're playing is incredible in all albums! I can understand if some people don't necessarily enjoy Alex's playing in Clockwork Angels or Snakes and Arrows, etc. It's very "chordy". I guess I'm just spoiled with being a Geddy fan.

In short: Rush still kicks ass.

• Like 5

Vinyl for Clockwork Angels sounds fantastic. I don't know what speakers you're using that you can judge it this way. Granted the CD version sounds iffy but I usually adjust my equalizer to my liking and it sounds perfectly fine.

When I think Rush, I think their whole career. That's just me. But I think about the troubles they have gone through and how it has shaped them to become who they are now. For guys hitting their 60's, they're rocking out more than ever and have so much more talent in their playing than ever before. You take The Anarchist, for example: It's a HARD song to do! Maybe not so much on guitar but drums and bass/vocals. Most people tend to not recognize everything Neil, Alex, and Geddy are doing. They just try and listen to the sounds that are easier to hear and judge from those terms. Ever since Test for Echo, Neil has had his high hat going through nearly EVERY song he does now. People tend to not understand how difficult it is to have four limbs constantly doing different things all the time (go check out John Bonham, the man is a machine). Geddy: with his complex bass playing while singing...and some songs his bass and vocals are doing completely different melodies. THAT is a tough thing to do, especially for the kind of progressive music Rush plays. Alex: As listeners, some don't even think he's that fantastic of a guitarist. It's completely incorrect. Have you taken a listen to Rush and ever cringed during a solo he's played? Or just a melody he plays and go "That was a weird note he just played." I sure as heck don't. You can go out and there and listen to some pretty famous guitarist, Jimmy Page, and when he rips in solos sometimes, I can't help but cringe on some songs and go "Why would he play that note and keep it in a recording?"

We, as Rush fans, are so spoiled with Alex and take it for granted. I'm not saying he is the BEST guitarist out there. But, he is one killer guitarist that is perfect for Neil and Geddy. He knows his stuff when it comes to sounds and melodies.

And every album from them still speaks loudly with their musicianship. Given if it's Presto or Hold Your Fire. They're playing is incredible in all albums! I can understand if some people don't necessarily enjoy Alex's playing in Clockwork Angels or Snakes and Arrows, etc. It's very "chordy". I guess I'm just spoiled with being a Geddy fan.

Sycophant
  • Like 1

Sycophant

Yeah that's right, I hope they're blushing right now.

Hmm, I find there is something to like about every Rush release. I like bands that try new things, new sounds, new approaches yet still sound like that band. I'm curious what the OP thinks about other post-Terry Brown material since this, on the surface, just sounds like another stereotypical "new rush/old rush" divide.

To each their own. I love CA. I believe it to be their late career masterpiece and their collective musicanship remains at an insanely high level. It's a 9 on a scale of 1-10 for me.
  • Like 3

I don't ever like to criticize someone's opinion, but how can you say there is no variety? Halo Effect, The Wreckers and The Garden are 3 of the most non Rush songs ever.

I didn't listen to CA for a month or so to see what I thought, and I still love it. Headlong Flight is one of their best songs ever.

• Like 3

If his post is accurate then he has not actually listened to the album as he NEVER makes it past track 4 and skips from song to song. This is not enough info for an opinion let alone a standalone thread with his own review. Edited by Ancient Ways

lets face it, when we think of Rush, do we REALLY think of songs like Marathon or Presto

Show Don't Tell from Presto was the song that got me into the band, so I damn well DO think of it when I think of Rush :bitchslap:

Not enough variety on Clockwork Angels? Listen to Caravan, Halo Effect, 7COG, Wreckers and Wish Them Well... none of them sound like each other. MP, Hemi, and Signals IMHO from your "golden" period are each far more uniform in tempo/style than CA is.

As for being stuck-in-the-past whiner #79476 to bleat "I want Terry Brown baaaack waaaaa :boohoo: ", Rush writes the songs, not their producers. Bringing Brown back would not result in Rush writing "Cygnus X-1 Book XIII". :crazy:

And in conclusion: :facepalm:

• Like 6

Ok, here's my verdict on Clockwork Angels (and I've a feeling some of you may not like it). I've had these feelings for 12 months so here goes:

SONIC ISSUES

Sonically it is a REAL letdown, everything is mashed and compressed to the hilt and I have to FORCE myself to listen to the album. I NEVER get past about track four, and I skip the albums songs constantly to hear the majority of the album.

In this whole 12 months I just CANNOT listen to this the whole way through. The vinyl version is slightly better soundwise, but it seems when Geddy's vocals come in, it mushes everything else up.

I suppose this is what you get if your producer records during the morning and mixes through the afternoon. I CAN"T believe a professional producer would do that to a product. I'm undertaking a production course and one of the basic 'rules' if you like is all about ear fatigue. A fine example of how NOT to do it is on this album.

SONG ISSUES

Ok, when the single of Caravan/BU2B came out I was excited!! Rush were back and sounding better than ever (even the sonics sounded great). I had VERY high hopes for this album and couldn't wait for it to come out.

I think the biggest thing which hurt this album was the guys doing the Time Machine Tour for two years and THEN finishing the album. To me, the rest of the songs are very predictable and are too much of the same style of song. The great thing with early Rush (such as Farewell, Permanent Waves etc) there is a variety of styles on the album which gives the listener something different to appreciate (such as 'Cinderella Man' , 'Entre Nous', 'Different Strings' etc etc) when coupled with the heavier numbers gives an overall cohersion to the album in my opinion. I think if the guys had finished the album before going out on tour, I think the end result would have been very different.

The lyrics also are kind of treading on the same path we've had time and again since the 80s, Neil's views and insecurities. Now I have nothing but respect for Neil coming to terms with all the tragedy he's faced over the years and I suppose you can appreciate him going down this route lyrically for a couple of albums, but why for a couple of songs can't he change the subject matter? His sci-fi lyrics are wonderful.

WHERE TO GO NOW

I know Rush have had a long and varied career and experimented with a lot of different styles, but lets face it, when we think of Rush, do we REALLY think of songs like Marathon or Presto to describe the band, or do we talk about 2112 and Farewell to Kings? From 2112 - Signals (though I have a REAL issue with side 2 of Moving Pictures) the band were on FIRE production wise and song content. These songs have endured for nearly 40 years, there must be a reason for this.

I would LOVE for the guys to bury the hatchet with Terry Brown and use Terry's guidance to shape the album we've been waiting for since 1982. Something major obviously occured in the studio during Signals, but lets face it, they're both not getting any younger. Terry was the fourth member of Rush in my opinion, so for him to return to what would probably be the bands final album would bring the process full circle.

Its not like Terry's been idle either, he's still working in the industry, the most recent of which is a band called 'Blurred Vision'. He's also produced 'Fates Warning' and 'Silent Running' over the years, even producing "I Just Died In Your Arms" for 'Cutting Crew' in 1986.

What does everyone think? These thoughts are obviously MY opinion so lets not get into silly arguments over whose right or wrong (no-one is - we've all got our 'Freewill')

GET A LIFE, CA is a GREAT album!!!!!! :wtf:

Anyway, back to the other people with slightly more measured responses..

I agree that Rush has a uniqueness to their own, and don't get me wrong I do enjoy other eras (Peter Collins' production style is probably on a par with Terry, maybe more so with his use of the stereo field). It is just this album I'm finding hard to swallow.

Hopefully when I see them at the NEC next Sunday the songs will 'speak' to me more. I suppose we'll see.

My view about Terry isn't nessecerily about Terry's production style (although sonically it makes stuff from 40 years ago impressive) but more from the fact that he helped the guys structurally with their songs.

Don't forget, all of Terry's albums has him credited for arrangement duties too. (I don't think no-one else did that, did they?)

Peter Collins would also be great to have back in the chair as such.

regarding CA i've done something recently for the first time i've never done with other rush albums

i recently began wondering why i didnt feel the urge to play the album from start to finish like i do with every other rush album on my mp3 player when out walking etc

concluded theres just slightly too much material on there that doesnt quite hit my rush sweet spot... like the tunes in question are kinda ok im not knocking em too much but, they disturb the overall flow for me

so, i pinpointed which songs they were and for the first time ever i just ruthlessly deleted them from the playlist

i now have a perfectly brilliant rush album that can be played from start to finish without needing to skip a single note

Caravan

Bu2b

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Headlong Flight

Wish Them Well

The Garden

this album now holds up against any this great band have produced, and i'm listening to it all the time now :)

To each their own. I love CA. I believe it to be their late career masterpiece and their collective musicanship remains at an insanely high level. It's a 9 on a scale of 1-10 for me.

On board with this...but I give it a 9.99. The deduction comes from the backing vocals of WTW...the only blemish. Nick should went to battle on that one

regarding CA i've done something recently for the first time i've never done with other rush albums

i recently began wondering why i didnt feel the urge to play the album from start to finish like i do with every other rush album on my mp3 player when out walking etc

concluded theres just slightly too much material on there that doesnt quite hit my rush sweet spot... like the tunes in question are kinda ok im not knocking em too much but, they disturb the overall flow for me

so, i pinpointed which songs they were and for the first time ever i just ruthlessly deleted them from the playlist

i now have a perfectly brilliant rush album that can be played from start to finish without needing to skip a single note

Caravan

Bu2b

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Headlong Flight

Wish Them Well

The Garden

this album now holds up against any this great band have produced, and i'm listening to it all the time now :)

That's not an album it's a playlist.

As for standing up against anything the band have produced? Hemispheres/Circumstances/The trees/LVS..?

<snorts>

CA is a great album at this stage of their career and far better than the execrable duo that came before it, but it can't hold a candle to the "classic-era" albums of the 70s and 80s.

• Like 3