Chad Smith in Conversation with Alex Lifeson

Ya_Big_Tree

Lifeson: That's why we're in, because guys like you have a vote now. It's changing the core. It's diluting the core's… who are strongly influenced –

Smith: The little boys' club.

Lifeson: Exactly – who are influenced by Jann. I'm not complaining about that. That's fine. They can do whatever they want, it doesn't matter. It's their place, or it's his place; he can do whatever he wants. The perception to a lot of your fans is that… and I'm sure it's the same thing for you… that this is a big, big deal. To them, it's so incredibly important that you get this recognition. They feel validated by your inclusion into this thing, even if it doesn't mean that much to you. It means a really big deal to them.

Smith: To the fans. I agree.

Lifeson: I'll tell you quite honestly, a year ago or more, I really couldn't care less. I probably would have preferred not to be a part of it, only because it didn't really mean that much to me, and my priorities are different. It's about being a musician and about playing and all that stuff. Like you say, the awards are nice, but they're not important at the end of the day. But seeing the response of our fans and what it means to them, and really even outside of that, you can't possibly be a dick about it. You have to be gracious.

:haz: :haz: :haz:

Super kewl. Thanks for sharing!! :goodone:

I like how they have many things in common yet play different instruments, so they really are worlds apart in that sense.That seems to make it more interesting and less technical an interview.

Side note for Chad fans: Chad used to play in a band called "Toby Redd" who was pretty huge locally in Detroit in the late 70s/80"s. He just did a reunion show opening for chickenfoot (played for Toby Redd and Chickenfoot). He currently also jams with Jeff Kollman (Lead Guitar) and Kevin Chown (Bass Guitar) , two awesome players from Toledo, OH who had a band called "Edwin Dare" in the nineties. Kevin may have actually been from Detroit, but anyhoo also played on "Tiles", the Detroit Prog Rock band's, first album back in 1994 before he moved to Hollywood. Both Kevin and Jeff are now in Chad's "bombastic meat bats" lineup. Definitely a "musicians band"...

• Like 1

Super kewl. Thanks for sharing!! :goodone:

I like how they have many things in common yet play different instruments, so they really are worlds apart in that sense.That seems to make it more interesting and less technical an interview.

Side note for Chad fans: Chad used to play in a band called "Toby Redd" who was pretty huge locally in Detroit in the late 70s/80"s. He just did a reunion show opening for chickenfoot (played for Toby Redd and Chickenfoot). He currently also jams with Jeff Kollman (Lead Guitar) and Kevin Chown (Bass Guitar) , two awesome players from Toledo, OH who had a band called "Edwin Dare" in the nineties. Kevin may have actually been from Detroit, but anyhoo also played on "Tiles", the Detroit Prog Rock band's, first album back in 1994 before he moved to Hollywood. Both Kevin and Jeff are now in Chad's "bombastic meat bats" lineup. Definitely a "musicians band"...

Ya Chad is a great interviewer. It really does sound like 2 guys (who happen to be professional musicians) just hanging out and shooting the shit.

:)

• Like 1

So weird hearing them talk about Kalamazoo and Geddy and Alex getting their signature guitars and what not from where. I'm literally only a little under an hour away from there.

I know the part where Al is talking about Long and McQuade... it's down the street from where I live and I go there all the time. Have quite a few instruments from there myself. That was interesting.

So weird hearing them talk about Kalamazoo and Geddy and Alex getting their signature guitars and what not from where. I'm literally only a little under an hour away from there.

I know the part where Al is talking about Long and McQuade... it's down the street from where I live and I go there all the time. Have quite a few instruments from there myself. That was interesting.

It's such a bizarre feeling knowing how small of a world we live in.

Nice interview! Only read a bit because I'm at work but I like the way Chad hardly says much, some might call him a bad interviewer for that but it actually encourages the interviewee to talk more. Especially a quiet-ish guy like Lifeson!

Sounds like this happened before the rrhof induction.. I'm still waiting for a post induction interview from Al! Thanks for posting this!

Ya I'm looking for a Post induction interview too but seeing as they kinda just went on tour right afterwards they have prolly been way too busy for that.

My band in high school rented a bunch of stuff from long and mcquades in 1983, in windsor. I rented a bunch of extra cymbals and stands, and a pa system, and guitar amps... I always thought it was cool to rent from the same company Rush bought their first room full of tour equipment from...

I didn't realize big Al still smoked. I'd thought he'd quit. Pretty cool interview.

Where's the evidence of this??

Look at the pictures.

Or did you mean evidence this was a cool interview? :)

Edited by mrvander

I didn't realize big Al still smoked. I'd thought he'd quit. Pretty cool interview.

This perhaps?

http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com//images/features/chad-smith-in-conversation/chad-alex-laughing-two-460-85.jpg

Edit: Already stated above.

Edited by LedRush