Nominate your candidate for most OVERRATED GUITARIST IN ROCK!

treeduck

I racked by brain to come up with the best answer and I finally have it! Drum roll please......

Richie Sambora

ftw

I racked by brain to come up with the best answer and I finally have it! Drum roll please......

Richie Sambora

ftw

In all honesty, I have never heard a single person refer to Sambora as a great guitarist.

I think he is thought of as such. Not by the smart fan but certainly by the mainstream.

Richie Sambora

ftw

In all honesty, I have never heard a single person refer to Sambora as a great guitarist.

I think he is thought of as such. Not by the smart fan but certainly by the mainstream.

(Shrugs) Well, if that's true, I'd have to agree with you.

Richie Sambora

ftw

I think the thing to do with Richie Sambora is simply decare that he is mediocre and leave it at that. Nothing else need be said about him.

Richie Sambora

ftw

I think the thing to do with Richie Sambora is simply decare that he is mediocre and leave it at that. Nothing else need be said about him.

Listen beotch, you started this thread not me! He is overrated. :smash:

Richie Sambora

ftw

Listen beotch, you started this thread not me! He is overrated. :smash:

Saying he is mediocre is saying he is overrated. I think you guys agree.

My pick would be Page even though he was great at other areas.

Richie Sambora is far better than you guys think. If you hate Bon Jovi's materials then check out Sambora's solo albums. His debut Stranger In This Town is ace and his latest album is great as well.

Edited by bluesbreaker

Michael Schenker ..never understood the hype for this guy.

Excellent pick. I absolutely love Schenker era UFO. Schenker's work on those albums is solid, but I agree. He's overrated.

First off, he rocks! but secondly...how can you say a guy is unknown my the majority of music listeners is overrated?

• Like 1

Excellent pick. I absolutely love Schenker era UFO. Schenker's work on those albums is solid, but I agree. He's overrated.

First off, he rocks! but secondly...how can you say a guy is unknown my the majority of music listeners is overrated?

I think he's overrated among guitar enthusiasts. I just don't think he does anything all that special.. Some nice melodic solos , but not much of an innovator IMO

Edited by Xanadoood

My pick would be Page even though he was great at other areas.

Richie Sambora is far better than you guys think. If you hate Bon Jovi's materials then check out Sambora's solo albums. His debut Stranger In This Town is ace and his latest album is great as well.

Great call. I would give Stranger In This Town to anyone starting to learn rock guitar & tell them to study it. It is a masterclass in pentatonic soloing. I learnt that record note for note. Some really tasteful playing on that.

His stuff can be tricky to play. He does some mental bends & his phrasing & articulation is quite "jazzy". He also mixes up modes in quite a surreal way too. It could be why he is cited quite frequently as an influence. Also the fact that he was part of one of the greatest rock bands of all time doesn't do his rep any harm either!

Killer tone as well.

Oh , could stir up a debate thread .

Eric Clapton after he left Cream .

Keith Richards - He never has done anything for me to sit up and say ... Wow . I love The Stones though .

Slash . No need to explain on this one .

• Like 1

He's the inverse of Sambora. The general public doesn't necessarily know him. Amongst "devout" rock music fans he's often talked about like he's a god. That's why I say he's overrated, because when he is talked about, he's often given more credit for his playing skill than (I think) he deserves. He's good, but he's human.

As I've said a few times, overrated =/= bad.

He's the inverse of Sambora. The general public doesn't necessarily know him. Amongst "devout" rock music fans he's often talked about like he's a god. That's why I say he's overrated, because when he is talked about, he's often given more credit for his playing skill than (I think) he deserves. He's good, but he's human.

As I've said a few times, overrated =/= bad.

really agree with this post. I adore schenker, but there are about a hundred 70s rock guitarists I find more interesting. the guy's excellent at what he does though

His stuff can be tricky to play. He does some mental bends & his phrasing & articulation is quite "jazzy". He also mixes up modes in quite a surreal way too. It could be why he is cited quite frequently as an influence. Also the fact that he was part of one of the greatest rock bands of all time doesn't do his rep any harm either!

Killer tone as well.

no one's saying he doesn't kick ass, we just mean he's not as good as eddie trunk makes him out to be

I think many guitarists that schenker influenced are better than schenker (or at least I like them more), like dave murray, adrian smith, jim matheos, etc