Differences b/w studio and live versions that you like?

zappafrank

I like the R30 version of Xanadu.

Have you ever watched the one from Exit...Stage Left?

That's the best one for the music but it's unfortunate it wasn't better quality video.

I like the "sig-sig-signals get crossed" on some versions of Vital Signs.

I know this is beside your point but Vital Signs seems to me to be a really under appreciated song. It's such a brilliant song. Their music and lyrics at that time (PeW and MP) went together so well.

I like the "sig-sig-signals get crossed" on some versions of Vital Signs.

I know this is beside your point but Vital Signs seems to me to be a really under appreciated song. It's such a brilliant song. Their music and lyrics at that time (PeW and MP) went together so well.

I love it. I love the mood and atmosphere and I really think it's one of the most uniquely original sounding songs ever created. It's in my top ten Rush songs and competes with Red Barchetta as the best song on Moving Pictures. It manages to come off even better live.

That's the best one for the music but it's unfortunate it wasn't better quality video.

No, but we got the entire song. :)

Yes that's true! But boy if I had a time machine, I would go back to the 70s, take a good camera from today and video a concert. It would be awesome to have a good HD capture of the Hemispheres or Permanent Waves Tour.

• Like 1

Two rather obscure ones; Prime Mover and Wish Them Well.

I really like HYF and PM is my favorite song off that album. When I saw the tour live, I was blown away by how much I liked the live version. Especially love how they changed up the vocal sequence at the end.

WTW was an okay song for me, but live - whoa - it kicked butt!

Earthshine-Live version has meatier guitar sound and the overall feel has more energy.

Roll the Bones-Alex improvs a solo over the rap section and it's different nearly every night. Check out the R30 version and really take a listen. He kills it!

Vital Signs-Overall I prefer the studio version but I love how when they play it live, Geddy sings "Emancipate from the norm" towards the end. For some reason the first time I heard that it was breathtaking. Awesome change.

Driven-Bass solo, obviously.

I haven't seen Analog Kid mentioned yet. I love the re-tooled version on Different Stages.

I was going to bring that up, I thought it may been have mentioned already.

That extra chorus at the end really enhances the song.

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 1

Yes, it's excellent as well. That's the best version in terms of his voice.

I haven't seen Analog Kid mentioned yet. I love the re-tooled version on Different Stages.

That one is great, but the CA Tour version is, IMO, the epitome of all Analog Kid performances. Alex nailed the solo, and the whole crowd cheered!

Edited by Disk98

I was driving home today and The Trees from ESL came on. That's a really nice version of the song. I love how they ended it with the long drawn out synth tone.
  • Like 2

I was driving home today and The Trees from ESL came on. That's a really nice version of the song. I love how they ended it with the long drawn out synth tone.

Geddy's synth tone during the middle is pure honey :smoke:
  • Like 1

Actually,a big criticism of mine is that there not enough differences between live and studio...would be great to have extended jam versions of songs a la Deep Purple etc.
  • Like 1