Differences b/w studio and live versions that you like?

zappafrank

Can go either way, but for me, the spark for the post is how I like in live versions of New World Man where Geddy trails his voice higher at the end of "man" in the chorus.

I also like how in the live versions of Driven, he does an extended bass doodle in the middle. With him doing it on different locations on the bass, I think it adds more punch and brings the song back down to a nice grounded position when he gets to the part that's already there in the studio version, compared to the original where that original part is tied into the melody that's already been established.

On the flip side, I'm not too fond of Geddy NOT doing the upward trail thing at the end of some live versions of Vital Signs. It happens right as it fades out in the studio version, in the line before Geddy kind of screams "EVERYBODY got to deviate from the norm." When he doesn't do it in the live version, I feel like the melody is never resolved, like a lack of climax (take that how you wish. :P)

Edited by zappafrank

Love the extended guitar solos in the live versions of Dreamline! The extended intro and solo on Where's My Thing? during the RTB tour was great. Also, the extended outro/jam in Bravado takes it to the next level live.
  • Like 1

Right now I'm listening to a live version of Closer to the Heart. Not that I necessarily prefer it over the original, but the extended jam they do in place of where the studio version ends is nice. Flows really well from the traditional end point.
  • Like 1

digital man from s&a was pretty cool.

clem

Yes, completely agree. Geddy shreds that song.

I've always loved La Villa Strangiato live versions. Not because of just Alex's "self indulgence" speeches but it sounds so awesome live.

I've always preferred the Exit version of Bangkok, especially during the guitar solo where Geddy plays rhythm guitar and bass pedals. A cool effect. On none of the other live versions of the song does he do this.

I've always felt the HYF tunes sound much better on A Show of Hands, due to a much punchier, fuller drum sound. "Turn the Page" is probably the best example.

• Like 1

When the group plays The Weapon live, the intro usually starts off with a monologue from the legendary Count Floyd (SCTV fame...Joe Flaherty). The album release doesn't feature this, but the Anthem 12" single does...the only studio version of The Weapon to have that intro.

I also agree that Driven live is fantastic...its Geddy's song...it lets him really dig deep. I think he loves playing that little solo in the middle. Shlappin' Da Bass!

One final one...Natural Science. Outstanding song in its own right, but let the boys open up a bit on stage and the song just pounds.

One final one...Natural Science. Outstanding song in its own right, but let the boys open up a bit on stage and the song just pounds.

Here's a case where I prefer the studio over the live version; I actually like the 2nd guitar solo that they cut out when they play it live.

Here's a case where I prefer the studio over the live version; I actually like the 2nd guitar solo that they cut out when they play it live.

Actually...I should have been more specific about my preferences for Natural Science. Its one of my favorite songs regardless on where and when it was played and the studio version is legendary. What I was pleasently surprised with was when they pulled it out for the Different Stages, Rush in Rio, and the S&A releases...the quiet, almost surreal build-up at the beginning leading to the thunder that only modern equipment can produce...again, I suppose I'm just appreciative as a fan of the track to see it played throughout the course of their career. C'mon though...who's kidding who? If it wasn't for the crowd noise at a concert, would we really know if it was a live recording? They are so "tight" on stage. One of their hallmarks!

I generally prefer the studio versions, but there are a couple of exceptions: What You're Doing (ATWAS) and Dreamline (RiR).

Differences I like:

- Bass tone is a lot more killer on the live versions.

- Mix is powerful on live.

- Extended parts: LTTA with extended bass solo, Driven - extended bass solo, Working Man Jam. These cool parts cannot be heard on the studio versions.

- Vocals: The singing on the live versions is more professional (For example - Freewill vocal bridge on S&A) and has more emotion into it.

- Drum sound: Unbelievable on live.

- Guitar sound: No words to describe. Really heavy and powerful! :haz:

Can go either way, but for me, the spark for the post is how I like in live versions of New World Man where Geddy trails his voice higher at the end of "man" in the chorus.

I also like how in the live versions of Driven, he does an extended bass doodle in the middle. With him doing it on different locations on the bass, I think it adds more punch and brings the song back down to a nice grounded position when he gets to the part that's already there in the studio version, compared to the original where that original part is tied into the melody that's already been established.

On the flip side, I'm not too fond of Geddy NOT doing the upward trail thing at the end of some live versions of Vital Signs. It happens right as it fades out in the studio version, in the line before Geddy kind of screams "EVERYBODY got to deviate from the norm." When he doesn't do it in the live version, I feel like the melody is never resolved, like a lack of climax (take that how you wish. :P)

I had to immediately jump in with the 'Vital Signs' thing! This is exactly my thought, too! I listened to a version from a 2002 tour last night, and while the bass solo-doodle near the end was intact (one of my favourite bass parts!), the 'fade-out' vocals weren't quite the same as what I like - a good example is from the Grace Under Pressure dvd where Geddy goes all mellismatic, and I think he sounds great!

There's a 'B-side' single version of 'Vital Signs' kicking about on youtube, which was apparently released as the b-side to... hmm, not sure what song. Just search 'Vital Signs b-side' on youtube and you should get it... it has the unadulterated bass doodle and the good 'fade-out' vocals at the end! :) I'd actually wanted to put it on my ipod as my definitive version of 'Vital Signs', as I like it better than the original!

Ok, some random great live moments that, to me, elevate some songs from their studio versions:

-'Where's My Thing?' Definitely prefer a live version from a 1991 tour - the sound is so much more full, and the extended ethereal intro is awesome and moody. This is one of my favourite songs, but I actually skip it on my ipod, due to its tinny sound compared to the live version - the studio version guitar sounds so thin and wimpy in comparison!

-'Driven' - great to hear Geddy get all bass-god in this one!

-'Digital Man' from S&A dvd - I'm a bit biased with this one, because I hadn't actually heard the album version before experiencing this one live. It rocks! I love Geddy's singing in the chorus ("...lover's wings to fly o-o-on") and the climactic, thunderous instrumental part at the end, and of course, Geddy's finishing "He plays fast FORWARRRRRRD! yeah." I feel bereft when this part is missing from the album version!

-'The Garden' - this is a bit preliminary, but I love how on this tour Geddy is singing high harmony on the ending "...to nurture and protect" parts. At the time, I got an extreme case of goosebumps and couldn't believe how good this sounded!

-'Secret Touch' - this just kills live, in my opinion - it's so good! I love how the soft intro, starting with a simple beat from Neil, expounds and grows sonically into an orgy of sound. There's a live version where Geddy makes a bit of a wail at the very end of the climactic part, leading into the soft part again. This works so well live!

-There's a version of 'Time Stand Still' that I found years ago from some show, but unfortunately don't know which one. It sounds amazing, and much fuller than the album version, and I'd liked it so much that 15 years ago (!) I'd put it on a compilation cd - right next to a Spice Girls song, if I remember correctly! Maybe from the Counterparts tour; it elevates the album version.

Alright, that's what I've got, for now! :P

• Like 1

digital man from s&a was pretty cool.

clem

Digital Man S&A One of my favs

Secret Touch S&A Another

I had to immediately jump in with the 'Vital Signs' thing! This is exactly my thought, too! I listened to a version from a 2002 tour last night, and while the bass solo-doodle near the end was intact (one of my favourite bass parts!), the 'fade-out' vocals weren't quite the same as what I like - a good example is from the Grace Under Pressure dvd where Geddy goes all mellismatic, and I think he sounds great!

There's a 'B-side' single version of 'Vital Signs' kicking about on youtube, which was apparently released as the b-side to... hmm, not sure what song. Just search 'Vital Signs b-side' on youtube and you should get it... it has the unadulterated bass doodle and the good 'fade-out' vocals at the end! :) I'd actually wanted to put it on my ipod as my definitive version of 'Vital Signs', as I like it better than the original!

Hmm, I did a search and all that came up is a live B-side that was slated for ESL; it's the B-side to New World Man.

Hmm, I did a search and all that came up is a live B-side that was slated for ESL; it's the B-side to New World Man.

Yeah, that sounds about right! Did you like it?

Last night thinking about this very forum I put on R-30 with my wife in attendance.

I decided to play the whole concert instead of picking songs.

The first few songs in the intro are some of the very best music that can be found. Overture.

My wife was mesmerized as I was.