"We should just be happy they're playing in general, regardless of what they play"

Yeah we should be happy with whatever they play, however we always have our favorites. PoW's is such a great album though. I'm so happy they represented that album on this tour than say Presto or T4E...then we could really bitch :codger:

when I went to grab a nice refreshing Dr. Pepper from the fridge, I was bummed that it was not as cold as I expected it to be. Given my disappointment, I shall write about it and then post it for others to see. Why? <shrug> Edited by drgrendel

Anyone can be upset that a song they were looking forward to wasn't played....

Middletown Dreams is among my all time favorite songs...

I just saw Rush this past week in Nashville, Raleigh, Virginia Beach and Baltimore.....and got Middletown once...ONCE.....

but.....such is life.....at least I got it once....and it was soooo goood...

I saw on RIAB that somone is selling their tickets for an upcoming show because they have figured out which setlist its going to be and they don't like those couple of songs that night, so instead of seeing Rush, they are going to sell their tickets...that was the reason they gave for selling....

To me, this is a little much....the rotation is only a few songs.....and the way things have been going, you don't really even know for sure what setlist you might get....the pattern for 2013 is not consistent...

Either you have a desire to see Rush live on stage or you don't....If you are going to nit-pick a couple of setlist changes from night to night and not go because of that, how much did you really want to see them in the first place...

The shows have been incredible, the guys are sounding fantastic, the Clockwork Angels ensemble has been for me surprisingly enjoyable....

I personally would love Middletown Dreams over TBE and Limelight each and every show....but....it is what it is...and its awesome....

when I went to grab a nice refreshing Dr. Pepper from the fridge, I was bummed that it was not as cold as I expected it to be. Given my disappointment, I shall write about it and then post it for other to see. why? <shrug>

*whoosh*

You know what, I've seen Cheap Trick 7 times and 5 of those times were the exact same setlist. I flat out do not care.

Yep, I've seen Status Quo God knows how many times. Practically the same set every night. I too, flat out do not care. I leave with a smile and a shirt every gig.

• Like 1

I saw on RIAB that somone is selling their tickets for an upcoming show because they have figured out which setlist its going to be and they don't like those couple of songs that night, so instead of seeing Rush, they are going to sell their tickets...that was the reason they gave for selling....

To me, this is a little much....the rotation is only a few songs.....and the way things have been going, you don't really even know for sure what setlist you might get....the pattern for 2013 is not consistent...

Either you have a desire to see Rush live on stage or you don't....If you are going to nit-pick a couple of setlist changes from night to night and not go because of that, how much did you really want to see them in the first place...

Is this person seeing them for the 1st time on the tour, or were they planning on seeing a 2nd show only to find out it's the exact same set they already saw? Because honestly, that's the entire crux of my question.

Based on some of the responses I've seen here (not necessarily yours), is it really that hard for people to understand the particular slant of my question? I'm talking about getting repeat songs when you've already heard those songs on the tour and your 2nd show was slated to get something else based on the pattern, but then they decided to repeat your set, and you're stuck hearing exactly the same thing you've already heard when the whole point of the 2nd show was to hear the different songs. In that case, I think it's understandable that someone would be miffed. This premise really seems to be going over people's heads here.

Just to add fuel to the fire...Ok, imagine if they DID change it up like a lot of Jam Bands, or bands that mix it up from day to day...case in point, I'm also a Dave Matthews fan, (Carter Beauford is another amazing drummer I follow) I've seen setlists for shows (and they change almost entirely from day to day) that I WISH I would have been able to see vs. what we got where I saw them! In fact there were a few times I thought the setlist we got sucked compared to the setlist the night before, or night after! (I had a friend who was a major Dead Head who never got to hear them play a song he wanted to hear in 20-30 shows...but it was either a night before night after kind of thing)

If Rush did dig into their catalog and played say 75% of the entire catalog during the course of a tour (with no pattern) you'd never hear the end of some people ranting and raving about it!

My luck would be never getting to hear something as common as Spirit of Radio...but it would be played the night AFTER I saw them!

That's how Dream Theater used to be in the Portnoy days: the set list would be drastically different from night to night. In that case, b/c I understood that's how they worked, I never felt cheated b/c I knew that that was what they did, that it was a crap shoot. If I didn't go to a 2nd show, well I undertood the risk of not doing so.

The whole point is that Rush has established that with them it's not a crap shoot, so when you are under the impression of how things work and you plan so that you can take it all in, when they turn around and deviate from the pattern and you miss out, how can you not feel a bit of "Well that's bullshit. Why did they f**k with things?"

In that case, it's like "well yeah I got to see them, but I already saw them do this."

Is this person seeing them for the 1st time on the tour, or were they planning on seeing a 2nd show only to find out it's the exact same set they already saw? Because honestly, that's the entire crux of my question.

Based on some of the responses I've seen here (not necessarily yours), is it really that hard for people to understand the particular slant of my question? I'm talking about getting repeat songs when you've already heard those songs on the tour and your 2nd show was slated to get something else based on the pattern, but then they decided to repeat your set, and you're stuck hearing exactly the same thing you've already heard when the whole point of the 2nd show was to hear the different songs. In that case, I think it's understandable that someone would be miffed. This premise really seems to be going over people's heads here.

I am not positive, but i am pretty sure the deal with these people was that they saw one show in 2012 and then figured out they were going to get the same setlist for 2013 so they decided to sell....

I understand where you are coming from....and if it was a 10 song swap out, I might be able to understand better...but since its only a few songs, is the swap out really all that critical...

esssentially its the same show night to night....

I guess since I am going to many shows, I don't really worry about a song here or a song there....

All I care about is the lights go down, the intro video starts and the band takes the stage and starts playing Rush songs....and thankfully, they do....

I understand where you are coming from....and if it was a 10 song swap out, I might be able to understand better...but since its only a few songs, is the swap out really all that critical...

I guess since I am going to many shows, I don't really worry about a song here or a song there....

It's such a sticking point with me b/c I really wanted to hear Middletown Dreams!!! :boohoo:

I don't blame anyone for being disappointed if they don't get the rotation that they would prefer (happened to me last year!), but in my opinion, the obligation Rush has is to play the very best show they can on any given night, not to make sure that the setlist rotation is consistent.

I haven't read through all the replies, so I don't know if a similar post has ever been made such as this, but consider this:

I'm a big Bruce Springsteen fan as well. Now, Bruce changes up his shows quite a bit from night to night. He usually has about 7 or 8 songs that are "staples" during any one tour, and then mixes up the rest of the songs each night.

Now, go over to a Springsteen board. You think fans would be happy with all of this variety, right? Nope. They bi+ch like you wouldn't believe. It seems like no one is every happy with the show that Bruce put on in "their" hometown.....

Even if Rush DID mix up the songs more aggressively (and they simply CAN'T - their music is just too complex), we would still be bitching. Those in Nashville would bitch that those in Dallas got a "better" set list. Those in Fresno would bitch that Phoenix got the best show. etc. etc.

When I really think about it, my life isn't going to be THAT MUCH different if they play "Limelight" instead of "The Body Electric". I'm sorry, but I think there are more important things to complain about. It's only 5 minutes out of your life. Plus, they'll be a DVD out soon enough, and you can simply crank it up at maximum value and get a similar effect.

Just my rant.

Clem

• Like 1

It's such a sticking point with me b/c I really wanted to hear Middletown Dreams!!! :boohoo:

you don't have to tell me....when they played middletown in cleveland last fall, me and a friend were high fiving each other.....same friend also texted me from the road with the word "limelight." even though it was a one word text, i knew the text was filled with disappointment....

I so wish Middletown was a regular song every night, i would trade in ANY of the other Power Windows songs...

I like body electric just fine, but compared to other choices, like Afterimage, I could skip body electric all together....

so yeah, i feel your frustration....

bottom line with rush setlists....the catalog is so massive and they ignore such huge chunks of it, there will always be plenty of room to criticize if you want to...

Here's my deal on this subject... Rush has been around since 1974...This is 2013 and they are STILL touring, they are changing setlists almost every other tour...occasionally they swap a few songs out here and there during the course of the tour...they have like 20 albums to choose from. I know people that are planning on seeing them five or six times on this tour and don't really care if every time they see them they play the same setlist..heck on other tours they DIDN'T change the setlist over the course of several shows, and no one cared!

It just so happens that they are playing a LOT of songs from an era that I'm not overly fond of, but I'm NOT compliaining about it...I'm happy it's the original band, they don't have supplemental musicians on stage (i.e. another guitar player, bass player, key player, percussionist etc.) they are still touring, and they are still playing THEIR music!...new, old, whatever! In two to five years, they may just say "We're done" and all we have are memories of what once was!

I just laugh at people with their "I wish they'd play _______ , but they aren't so I'm not going" attitude...If you don't like it, then just go to a Justin Bieber concert or something and quit yer bitchin!

But my GOD just be glad they are still going strong!!

The point of my post wasn't about wanting to see a song and not getting to see it in general, it's when you've already seen the tour with one set list and are banking on getting a variation at another show and they decide to deviate from the presumable pattern. In such a case, I think it's only natural that you feel let down and maybe even a little miffed, especially if you had to go out of your way to see that other set list (the one you ended up not getting).

It's like "I could have stayed local and seen this set list. In fact, I did! Which is why I'm bummed I made the trek for the other set list only to find they decided not to do it when the pattern indicated they would."

But for some reason a lot of people tend to think that people in that position don't have a right to feel anything less than "I GOT TO SEE THEM, YAY!!!"

And you just hit the nail on the head right there. The point of going to a Rush show *is* seeing Rush play Rush songs. The setlist really doesn't matter - they will be performed to the best of their stellar abilities regardless. I've wanted to hear La Villa at every show (I haven't). I'm still waiting for Side I of Hemispheres (though they came close in '94). My head would explode if I heard Lakeside Park. I'm always happy to see Rush even though I've never seen all of the material that I have wanted to see. But my attitude is still :yay: Yay! It's frakking Rush! :rush: :D :haz:

I hear your disappointment, but consider the experience you had of being at a Rush show surrounded by thousands of other lifelong, casual and first time fans is the journey. TRF aside, this simply doesn't occur in nature. I can think of no faster 2.5 hours in my life. And, every Rush concert I've ever been to has always ended the same way: a smiling crowd with ringing ears talking about how fantastic the show they had just seen was.

The point of the journey is not to arrive.

http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/galactica/cylon/cylon004.gif

• Like 2

Here's my deal on this subject... Rush has been around since 1974...This is 2013 and they are STILL touring, they are changing setlists almost every other tour...occasionally they swap a few songs out here and there during the course of the tour...they have like 20 albums to choose from. I know people that are planning on seeing them five or six times on this tour and don't really care if every time they see them they play the same setlist..heck on other tours they DIDN'T change the setlist over the course of several shows, and no one cared!

It just so happens that they are playing a LOT of songs from an era that I'm not overly fond of, but I'm NOT compliaining about it...I'm happy it's the original band, they don't have supplemental musicians on stage (i.e. another guitar player, bass player, key player, percussionist etc.) they are still touring, and they are still playing THEIR music!...new, old, whatever! In two to five years, they may just say "We're done" and all we have are memories of what once was!

I just laugh at people with their "I wish they'd play _______ , but they aren't so I'm not going" attitude...If you don't like it, then just go to a Justin Bieber concert or something and quit yer bitchin!

But my GOD just be glad they are still going strong!!

The point of my post wasn't about wanting to see a song and not getting to see it in general, it's when you've already seen the tour with one set list and are banking on getting a variation at another show and they decide to deviate from the presumable pattern. In such a case, I think it's only natural that you feel let down and maybe even a little miffed, especially if you had to go out of your way to see that other set list (the one you ended up not getting).

It's like "I could have stayed local and seen this set list. In fact, I did! Which is why I'm bummed I made the trek for the other set list only to find they decided not to do it when the pattern indicated they would."

But for some reason a lot of people tend to think that people in that position don't have a right to feel anything less than "I GOT TO SEE THEM, YAY!!!"

And you just hit the nail on the head right there. The point of going to a Rush show *is* seeing Rush play Rush songs. The setlist really doesn't matter - they will be performed to the best of their stellar abilities regardless. I've wanted to hear La Villa at every show (I haven't). I'm still waiting for Side I of Hemispheres (though they came close in '94). My head would explode if I heard Lakeside Park. I'm always happy to see Rush even though I've never seen all of the material that I have wanted to see. But my attitude is still :yay: Yay! It's frakking Rush! :rush: :D :haz:

I hear your disappointment, but consider the experience you had of being at a Rush show surrounded by thousands of other lifelong, casual and first time fans is the journey. TRF aside, this simply doesn't occur in nature. I can think of no faster 2.5 hours in my life. And, every Rush concert I've ever been to has always ended the same way: a smiling crowd with ringing ears talking about how fantastic the show they had just seen was.

The point of the journey is not to arrive.

http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/galactica/cylon/cylon004.gif

I'm with CygnusGal here.

At first, I was a bit confused to the Clockwork Angels setlist, but thought,

"hey, I'm seeing Rush live and I happen to really love each part of their body of music".

So, it is a "win-win" for me.

I am, indeed, happy they are still out playing, and playing so well, I might add.

• Like 2

I am just happy to be able to see them. For example, I know I will never see King Crimson again, Robert Fripp is pretty much retired. That sucks. At least Rush isn't retired as of now so I am a happy camper. :cool:
  • Like 1

you don't have to tell me....when they played middletown in cleveland last fall, me and a friend were high fiving each other.....same friend also texted me from the road with the word "limelight." even though it was a one word text, i knew the text was filled with disappointment....

I so wish Middletown was a regular song every night, i would trade in ANY of the other Power Windows songs...

I was all ready to go to the Cleveland show since it was slated to get the MD set. But like I've said, since they started messing with things in the weeks prior I couldn't take the chance on spending the time, energy, and cash on making the trek "just in case."

So of course they played what they were supposed to play* that night.

*I'm only joking... partly... I think

I can see being grateful that they're even playing. And I am. But with the internet and setlist.fm and all, most people at the show are going to know that they played some of their might-be favorite songs at the previous show and that they're getting shelved for more common material that they've already seen several times. How can one not feel left out when that happens?

First show I saw on the CA tour...it was amazing....yet, I still knew that I missed out on the Manhattan Project in order to hear Dreamline for the 9th time. Last week in Nashville, I stood through Limelight (again), knowing I missed out on The Body Electric. Normally I enjoy Limelight, but during that time it was disappointing JUST because I knew that so many other people got to hear a song I'd LOVE to hear live.

It is all a matter of perspective...Hell, people were probably more pissed that they had to hear Middletown Dreams instead of their favorite radio hit. It goes both ways. I do wish that I had never looked at setlists before the shows. Then I would have been 100% thrilled with each and every song at each show, not thinking about what was 'missed'.

Your last sentence sums it up for me! I avoid (well, do my best to avoid) knowing what the setlist is, because I do like being surprised by each and every song that comes up. I like the anticipation, the little butterflies that get in my tummy when I think, "What if they play [personal awesome song]?" I don't get a sense of disappointment, because everything they play is pretty darn awesome in my book, though I will always be a bit disappointed at the lack of 'Everyday Glory'! :P

Finding out the setlist beforehand would ruin part of the fun for me, and there would be no surprises. That's not my thing, though many others seem to like to plan around which shows to go to regarding supposed setlist types. And that's fine for them, but this can lead to disappointment, but that's kind of a risk involved in trying to plan on attending a show based on what the setlist is 'supposed' to be.

I don't think Rush should be obligated to cater to following a setlist rule. I think how things were before the 'no surprises anymore' aspect of the internet was good, with people going to concerts to hear songs from bands that they like. I don't think there was too much speculation over "Oh, this show should be setlist C, and that other one should be setlist B - oh, wait, Rush mixed it up - there's now a D". I think this gets a little anal, but again this is just my opinion. Personally, I'm happy that I got experience 'Middletown Dreams' and 'Wish Them Well' at the show I went to, though I wish I could have had 'Manhattan Project' and 'Seven Cities' as well. Would I try to plan a show where it seems these songs should played? No, probably not. I'm going to remain ignorant of what the setlist type is going to be when I go to my next show in July, and if I get to hear these two songs, great! If not, ah well. Hopefully all songs will be included on the dvd, though probably some of you already know if they will be, if you've examined the setlists at the filmed shows.

Anyway.

Each person should do what works best for him. But it doesn't feel right to get annoyed and disappointed when a setlist turns out differently from what was expected - Rush shouldn't be robots that churn out set-in-stone setlists. I like a dash of excitement and intrigue with my Rush show!

Finding out the setlist beforehand would ruin part of the fun for me, and there would be no surprises. That's not my thing, though many others seem to like to plan around which shows to go to regarding supposed setlist types. And that's fine for them, but this can lead to disappointment, but that's kind of a risk involved in trying to plan on attending a show based on what the setlist is 'supposed' to be.

I always go in blind to any show I see. So with Rush, I had no clue what they were playing. It was after the fact that I decided to see what all was going on, especially since the tour book had production credits for songs that weren't played. That's when it became an issue of "they're playing MD?! I wonder if I'll be able to catch it! Looks like they're following a pattern. Maybe if the pattern hits the next city closest to me, I can save money and plan my schedule so that I can go to it to get to hear the other songs!"

I always go in blind to any show I see. So with Rush, I had no clue what they were playing. It was after the fact that I decided to see what all was going on, especially since the tour book had production credits for songs that weren't played. That's when it became an issue of "they're playing MD?! I wonder if I'll be able to catch it! Looks like they're following a pattern. Maybe if the pattern hits the next city closest to me, I can save money and plan my schedule so that I can go to it to get to hear the other songs!"

I see what you mean. And this is where technology can help out, with online sources to figuring out the setlist pattern in order to choose a show where the songs you want to catch will be played at.

It's never perfect, is it? With the show I saw, I got 'Wish Them Well', which at the time I preferred over 'Seven Cities', and I got 'Middletown Dreams', though I would have loved 'The Body Electric', too (this is the song swap, right?), and I would have preferred 'Manhattan Project' over 'Force Ten'. And I'm kind of saddened that 'Middletown Dreams' is getting swapped out for 'Limelight' - it seems it would be a better choice to rotate 'Limelight' with something else that's a 'hit' and swap 'Middletown Dreams' with something else that's in its obscurity range. Because I think there are more people that would rather have 'Limelight' due to its 'hitness' than those that would prefer 'Middletown Dreams' due to its overlooked awesomeness, so 'Middletown Dreams' is having a bit of an unfair time. Ok, enough punctuation, I'm done!

I've gotten accustomed to going to see bands that you could attend three shows in a row with not a single repeated song. Now, would I love it if Rush did that? Sure, of course. I think they could. But that's never been their style, as it were- that might be partly because of the kind of production they always put on (by that I mean that they've always been an arena rock act, and the stage set and the visuals are a significant part of the live Rush experience)...but honestly, I'm happy with anything they choose to play. It would be nice if they played 100 different songs over the course of a tour, sure, but that's not going to happen. And it's OK, really.

Sure, a lot of us have been fans for long enough that some people feel that entitles them to be critical of something like setlist choices (or setlist sameness; whatever the case may be).

If anyone were asking my advice on the subject, I'd tell them to get over it. But no one is, so I'll be going now. :)

I see what you mean. And this is where technology can help out, with online sources to figuring out the setlist pattern in order to choose a show where the songs you want to catch will be played at.

It's never perfect, is it? With the show I saw, I got 'Wish Them Well', which at the time I preferred over 'Seven Cities', and I got 'Middletown Dreams', though I would have loved 'The Body Electric', too (this is the song swap, right?), and I would have preferred 'Manhattan Project' over 'Force Ten'. And I'm kind of saddened that 'Middletown Dreams' is getting swapped out for 'Limelight' - it seems it would be a better choice to rotate 'Limelight' with something else that's a 'hit' and swap 'Middletown Dreams' with something else that's in its obscurity range. Because I think there are more people that would rather have 'Limelight' due to its 'hitness' than those that would prefer 'Middletown Dreams' due to its overlooked awesomeness, so 'Middletown Dreams' is having a bit of an unfair time. Ok, enough punctuation, I'm done!

You'll get "Force Ten" regardless. It's not one of the songs that is being swapped. It rocks, too. It's never been a song I much liked, but I've thoroughly enjoyed it at every Clockwork Angels gig I've been to thanks to the band's strong enthusiasm for playing it. That's happened for me several times during Rush tours, that I enjoy a song I had previously disliked because the live experience gives it something extra.

Why would going to a Bieber concert make anything better?

Oh, come on now, use your imagination!

LOL

I can't name one Bieber tune, and for the life of me I cannot understand why his only fans aren't young girls w/ no goals and aspirations in life and that temporarily lose their minds when they see him or a picture of him or hear his music.

The fact that he can become popular is a sore indictment of the more superficial elements of our society that plague good morals and intellectual pursuits.

Exactly! If anyone in this forum can even name ONE Bieber tune I'd be surprised! (thanks for getting my meaning)

I guess if someone were a kiddie toucher then a Bieber concert would be like Perverted Disneyworld.

You'll get "Force Ten" regardless. It's not one of the songs that is being swapped. It rocks, too. It's never been a song I much liked, but I've thoroughly enjoyed it at every Clockwork Angels gig I've been to thanks to the band's strong enthusiasm for playing it. That's happened for me several times during Rush tours, that I enjoy a song I had previously disliked because the live experience gives it something extra.

Hmm, maybe I was thinking of 'Dreamline'. Not sure what the swap song for 'Middletown Dreams' is! :S

And I agree, 'Force Ten' is a really good song, and it was a very good energy, and I enjoyed it. But an oppurtunity is there to have something rarer instead... although I guess this is moot if 'Force Ten' is not getting swapped out at all! :D