Rush already throwing a monkeywrench into the alternating set lists pattern

You can get Middletown Dreams or The Body Electric. If they don't play those you get Limelight. What's to hate?

I already heard TBE at the show I attended and I've heard Limelight many other times. If there's a chance to hear something I've never heard before, I'll take it... but only if there's a reasonable amount of certainty I won't be wasting time and money that I have to plan for. Pretty simple, really.

You can get Middletown Dreams or The Body Electric. If they don't play those you get Limelight. What's to hate?

I already heard TBE at the show I attended and I've heard Limelight many other times. If there's a chance to hear something I've never heard before, I'll take it... but only if there's a reasonable amount of certainty I won't be wasting time and money that I have to plan for. Pretty simple, really.

At a 3 hour concert... one song will determine if you've wasted time and money????

At a 3 hour concert... one song will determine if you've wasted time and money????

If I've already heard everything a few weeks prior at a show that was 10 min away and a free bus ride with my work ID, vs. a show that's 2.5 hrs away, $50 in gas plus parking, plus budgeting time for work as necessary when I don't have a gazillion dollars in disposable income...?

Um, in a word, yes.

What part of the scenario I've outlined above doesn't make sense? I swear, people are only reading what they want to read.

I also *really* like Middletown Dreams, FWIW. Had I gotten the set list with TBE but with MD in place of TBE, knowing that the other set had TBE really wouldn't entice me to consider a separate trek.

It's kind of funny: a lot of people are implying that one must not really appreciate Rush to have such an opinion on the varying set lists, when in fact it should be plain to see that it's quite the opposite, that it's b/c one might appreciate Rush SO much that he/she really wants to take in as much as possible from across the spectrum.

Edited by zappafrank

I actually thought this was going to be an interesting thread!

NOT!

:facepalm:

You should make yet ANOTHER setlist. Call it The Monkeywrench Tour.

Rules:

1) Don't use ANY song that's being played on this tour.

2) The setlist must be as long as this tour's (give or take 5 minutes).

3) No instrumental medleys or medleys of any kind.

Now go and do it you crazy setlist monkey bastard!!!

:blaze:

The Monkey Wrench Tour!

As requested by :blaze:

Set 1:

Test For Echo

Cold Fire

New World Man

Cut to the Chase

Vapor Trail

Sweet Miracle

Main Monkey Buisness

Monkey Wrench (Foo Fighters Cover)

Freewill

Cygnus X-1

Set 2:

Hemispheres (Prelude)

Driven (With Bass Solo)

Secret Touch

Jacob's Ladder

Show Don't Tell

Red Barchetta

Distant Early Warning

Lock And Key

Turn the Page

Marathon

Natural Science

Mal-Nar (Drum Solo)

Hope/ The Trees

Xanadu (Entire)

Encore:

Working Man

La Villa Strangiatto

:P

Aside from Sweet Miracle that setlist is excellent. The Foo song should be the background music in one of those weird videos they show between songs. And speaking of weird (but funny) vids, I always liked that Foo Fighters one with the Footo's candy.

• Like 1

If I've already heard everything a few weeks prior at a show that was 10 min away and a free bus ride with my work ID, vs. a show that's 2.5 hrs away, $50 in gas plus parking, plus budgeting time for work as necessary when I don't have a gazillion dollars in disposable income...?

Um, in a word, yes.

What part of the scenario I've outlined above doesn't make sense? I swear, people are only reading what they want to read.

I also *really* like Middletown Dreams, FWIW. Had I gotten the set list with TBE but with MD in place of TBE, knowing that the other set had TBE really wouldn't entice me to consider a separate trek.

It's kind of funny: a lot of people are implying that one must not really appreciate Rush to have such an opinion on the varying set lists, when in fact it should be plain to see that it's quite the opposite, that it's b/c one might appreciate Rush SO much that he/she really wants to take in as much as possible from across the spectrum.

LMAO. I read the whole thing, trust me. Just doing a little recon work. 4 minutes in a 3 hour concert makes the difference for you, that's your prerogative.

LMAO. I read the whole thing, trust me. Just doing a little recon work. 4 minutes in a 3 hour concert makes the difference for you, that's your prerogative.

Limited resources, what can I say. You want to look down on me for that fact, that's your prerogative.

Edited by zappafrank

To OP:

Here is a quarter - call someone who cares.

Thank you.

Let them do what they want! It's ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!

Ah, DrGrendel, assuming you took your name from the Marillion song and not just Beowulf in general, you and I are practically neighbors ostensibly with a similar taste in music (bolstered by your Lemmy quote). Your post was pretty rude for no reason. Be nice.

Sorry to have offended you. Was just pointing out that: Life is full of disappointments; you took a chance and it did not work out. As my 10 year-old daughter (who loves Lemmy) would say, "suck it up and move on." My reaction stems from an observation of the forums becoming a huge wine and cheese party. Sorry, hope life treats you better in the future. Edited by drgrendel
  • Like 1

NOT!

Rules:

The Monkey Wrench Tour!

Set 1:

Test For Echo

Cold Fire

New World Man

Cut to the Chase

Vapor Trail/ Sweet Miracle

Chain Lightning/ Alien Shore

Main Monkey Buisness

Monkey Wrench (Foo Fighter's Cover)

Freewill

Cygnus X-1

Set 2:

Hemispheres (Prelude)

Driven (With Bass Solo)

Secret Touch

Jacob's Ladder

Show Don't Tell

Red Barchetta

Distant Early Warning

Lock And Key

Turn the Page

Marathon

Natural Science

Mal-Nar (Drum Solo)

Hope/ The Trees

Xanadu (Entire)

Encore:

Working Man

La Villa Strangiatto

Aside from Sweet Miracle that setlist is excellent. The Foo song should be the background music in one of those weird videos they show between songs. And speaking of weird (but funny) vids, I always liked that Foo Fighters one with the Footo's candy.

Yeah, I guess you can alternate Sweet Miracle and Vapor Trail, and insert Chain Lightning alternating with Alien Shore in the its place!

:codger:

Edited by losingit2k

I'd like to see a "silent" set, one with every instrumental tune that they've ever done. There's not a one that's less than superb.

I've done this many times. Not going there again. However I will copy and Paste!

Set 1: (Instrumentals are highlighted)

Instrumedley:

(Finding My Way, By-Tor & The Snow Dog, The Necromancer, A Passage to Bangkok, Cygnus X-1, Hemipsheres (Prelude), Freewill)

Limelight

Carvan

Where's My Thing?

Leave that Thing Alone

Limbo

The Anarchist

Carnies

Clockwork Angels

2112 (Overture/Temples/Finale)

Set 2:

The Archives Instrumedley:

( Working Man/ What You're Doing/ Anthem/ Fly By Night/ Bastile Day/ No One at The Bridge/ Didacts and Narpits/ Bastile Day Reprise- The Ending)

Far Cry

Driven (with Bass Solo)

Main Monkey Business

Show Don't Tell

Jacobs Ladder

New Instrumental (Precipeter)

New Instrumental (A'dieu aux Fans)

Seven Cities of Gold

Red Barchetta

Mal-Nar

Drum Solo (Skin Trade)

Hope/ The Garden

Tom Sawyer

The Spirit of Radio

Encore:

YYZ

La Villa Strangiatto

Closer to the Heart (Extended)

It even has three instrumentals you've never heard of! :LOL:

Edited by losingit2k

Um, in a word, yes.

People, People. They don't even have to be alternating songs. They could have just given us the same damn setlist every night. The only reason they have include 4-5 different songs in this tour is to give those that do see multiple nights a different show and to variate the setlist for themselves I guess. Regardless, I'm glad there are three setlist. You could get anyone on any given night. Just Deal with it. Variety is the spice of Life!

NOT!

Rules:

The Monkey Wrench Tour!

Set 1:

Test For Echo

Cold Fire

New World Man

Cut to the Chase

Vapor Trail

Sweet Miracle

Main Monkey Buisness

Freewill

Cygnus X-1

Set 2:

Hemispheres (Prelude)

Driven (With Bass Solo)

Secret Touch

Jacob's Ladder

Show Don't Tell

Red Barchetta

Distant Early Warning

Lock And Key

Turn the Page

Marathon

Natural Science

Mal-Nar (Drum Solo)

Hope/ The Trees

Xanadu (Entire)

Encore:

Working Man

La Villa Strangiatto

Working Man was played on this tour. Sorry!

• Like 1

Personally, I love the variety. I understand why someone would want it in a more structured way, but I like it varied as well. But then again, I've already seen Limelight a dozen times live and I don't give a crap if I see it again. And I'll go to at least 3 shows every tour, so I'll get every song they'll play :)
  • Like 1

NOT!

Rules:

The Monkey Wrench Tour!

Set 1:

Test For Echo

Cold Fire

New World Man

Cut to the Chase

Vapor Trail

Sweet Miracle

Main Monkey Buisness

Freewill

Cygnus X-1

Set 2:

Hemispheres (Prelude)

Driven (With Bass Solo)

Secret Touch

Jacob's Ladder

Show Don't Tell

Red Barchetta

Distant Early Warning

Lock And Key

Turn the Page

Marathon

Natural Science

Mal-Nar (Drum Solo)

Hope/ The Trees

Xanadu (Entire)

Encore:

Working Man

La Villa Strangiatto

Damn, you're right. However, I believe we were dealing with the current leg of the tour.

:joker:

Edited by losingit2k

NOT!

Rules:

The Monkey Wrench Tour!

Set 1:

Test For Echo

Cold Fire

New World Man

Cut to the Chase

Vapor Trail

Sweet Miracle

Main Monkey Buisness

Freewill

Cygnus X-1

Set 2:

Hemispheres (Prelude)

Driven (With Bass Solo)

Secret Touch

Jacob's Ladder

Show Don't Tell

Red Barchetta

Distant Early Warning

Lock And Key

Turn the Page

Marathon

Natural Science

Mal-Nar (Drum Solo)

Hope/ The Trees

Xanadu (Entire)

Encore:

Working Man

La Villa Strangiatto

Damn, you're right. However, I believe we were dealing with the current leg of the tour.

I somehow thought you'd say that :D

Limited resources, what can I say. You want to look down on me for that fact, that's your prerogative.

Look down on you? Where did you get that?

If limited resources is truly the issue, I have a hard time believing 1 song would make that big of a difference

Personally, I love the variety. I understand why someone would want it in a more structured way, but I like it varied as well. But then again, I've already seen Limelight a dozen times live and I don't give a crap if I see it again. And I'll go to at least 3 shows every tour, so I'll get every song they'll play :)

I agree, Limelight was just played during the Time Machine Tour. You can always pop that dvd in and watch it. Or serveral other DVD. The boys are getting up there in age, and there aren't many tours left if any? It would really be cool if they could find away to include more of their unplayed/ uncaptured on video songs in future tours.

Songs like:

Cut to the Chase, Jacobs's Ladder, Open Secrets, Different Strings, Tears, Losing It, Alien Shore, Vapor Trail, Sweet Miracle, Lock and Key, Chain Lightning, Available Light, so we have some kind of representation of them once RUSH decides to take their much deserved and well earned retirement.

• Like 1

NOT!

Rules:

The Monkey Wrench Tour!

Set 1:

Test For Echo

Cold Fire

New World Man

Cut to the Chase

Vapor Trail

Sweet Miracle

Main Monkey Buisness

Freewill

Cygnus X-1

Set 2:

Hemispheres (Prelude)

Driven (With Bass Solo)

Secret Touch

Jacob's Ladder

Show Don't Tell

Red Barchetta

Distant Early Warning

Lock And Key

Turn the Page

Marathon

Natural Science

Mal-Nar (Drum Solo)

Hope/ The Trees

Xanadu (Entire)

Encore:

Working Man

La Villa Strangiatto

I meant none of the same songs that have been played at any time during ANY LEG of the CA tour. I'll substitute Working Man with AFTK for the encore

I agree, Limelight was just played during the Time Machine Tour. You can always pop that dvd in and watch it. Or serveral other DVD. The boys are getting up there in age, and there aren't many tours left if any? It would really be cool if they could find away to include more of their unplayed/ uncaptured on video songs in future tours.

Songs like:

Cut to the Chase, Jacobs's Ladder, Open Secrets, Different Strings, Tears, Losing It, Alien Shore, Vapor Trail, Sweet Miracle, Lock and Key, Chain Lightning, Available Light, so we have some kind of representation of them once RUSH decides to take their much deserved and well earned retirement.

Agreed, except that I don't ever need to hear a song from counterparts again in concert. Ever.

NOT!

Rules:

The Monkey Wrench Tour!

Set 1:

Test For Echo

Cold Fire

New World Man

Cut to the Chase

Vapor Trail

Sweet Miracle

Main Monkey Buisness

Freewill

Cygnus X-1

Set 2:

Hemispheres (Prelude)

Driven (With Bass Solo)

Secret Touch

Jacob's Ladder

Show Don't Tell

Red Barchetta

Distant Early Warning

Lock And Key

Turn the Page

Marathon

Natural Science

Mal-Nar (Drum Solo)

Hope/ The Trees

Xanadu (Entire)

Encore:

Working Man

La Villa Strangiatto

I meant none of the same songs that have been played at any time during ANY LEG of the CA tour. I'll substitute Working Man with AFTK for the encore

GREAT SUB!

NOT!

Rules:

The Monkey Wrench Tour!

Set 1:

Test For Echo

Cold Fire

New World Man

Cut to the Chase

Vapor Trail

Sweet Miracle

Main Monkey Buisness

Freewill

Cygnus X-1

Set 2:

Hemispheres (Prelude)

Driven (With Bass Solo)

Secret Touch

Jacob's Ladder

Show Don't Tell

Red Barchetta

Distant Early Warning

Lock And Key

Turn the Page

Marathon

Natural Science

Mal-Nar (Drum Solo)

Hope/ The Trees

Xanadu (Entire)

Encore:

Working Man

La Villa Strangiatto

GREAT SUB!

How Dare You touch my setlist! If there are going to be any substitution, I sir, will be providing them. Now that said, Substitute Working Man with A Farewell to Kings!

:outtahere:

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 2