One word sums up Virginia Beach.....Brrrrr!!!

nhlrush

Rush has definitely played more outside venues in the past few tours as compared to the 80s when they played mostly arenas, at least in the east...

I have seen my share of shows outdoors in recent years but most of them are during the summer and usually its really hot and the air is thick and still....(forgive me)

I can remember a show or two at Jones beach on Long Island where it was cool with a pretty steady breeze coming in off the water....

I wasn't in Atlanta on the first leg of this tour last fall when the temp in Alpharetta was about 40 and Geddy had on a leather jacket and scarf....I missed that show as Hurricane Sandy knocked out our power in NJ and I went home after the Charlotte show rather than continue on to Georgia...

Well, last night was not freezing by any means....probably about 55 with a real steady breeze at the Farm Bureau Live Amp in Virginia Beach...

Ged was decked out in another leather jacket and scarf and thanked the crowd twice for braving the cold and coming out...

Almost all my rush concert experiences somehow involve me being hot, sweaty and thirsty as most shows are either indoors or outside during the summer....

Just curious if anyone has had a rush concert experience where weather really factored in....cold, rain, etc...

I know there was that Chicago show where the stage got drenched before the show and it was cancelled due to electrical problems....but i am more wondering what people have gone through during an actual show....

anyone ever watch rush in an outdoor place with no roof and get rained on?

• Like 1

One year on the Power Windows tour I had GA on the floor at the Ottawa Civic Center. First come first in so I showed up at 1:00 pm for a 6:00 door opening and I had to stand in line outside in basically a monsoon. It poured rain the entire time I was waiting in line. I was third in line and when the doors finally opened I ran like I've never ran before down the section stairs got to the hockey boards and put my left hand out and swung my legs over in one awesome motion ran to the stage and was front row 4 FT from Alex. Then we were like sardines the whole time and it was really hot. Awesome show my first front row experience and the shower at home afterwards was like heaven. :-)

I never had to stand in the rain, but I'm pretty sure at least once in Holmdel, NJ it rained during a rush show, and people on the lawn all crowded into the area at the back of the amphitheater. My two worst weather show experiences were both Soundgarden shows—2010 in Newark, had fan club wristbands (allowed in earlier than everyone else), and had a similar experience to above (drenched by rain, doors opened almost an hour late, ended up damp but standing at the barricade just right of Chris Cornell. The other time was a couple of months ago, standing in line in frigid temps (under 20F) for an hour and a half or more waiting to be allowed into Hammerstein Ballroom. Got a spot on the rail near Kim Thayil that time. I heard that their Carolina Rebellion set was cancelled the other day due to weather.

I remember when Rush played at Nissan Pavilion (Bristow, VA) in 2002, it POURED for pretty much the entire first half of the show. Fortunately, I was under the pavilion! At the beginning of the the show, just before the band went into "Earthshine", Geddy even said, "Sorry we brought you guys rain tonight!!" lol

That was an amazing show, though.

VA Beach was definitely the coldest show I've ever been to. I wasn't expecting it to be that cold and didn't exactly prepare accordingly. Luckily they had plenty of Capt Morgan's to keep me warm. During sound check, Geddy frequently had to rub his hands together in order to stay warm and half jokingly told the orchestra that they should all wear hoodies for the show. In the past, they've used onstage heaters, but chose not to on Sunday, for fear that their guitars would go out of tune in the transition between warm & cold.

Great show, though.

I was at that Atlanta show last year, and I have to say I enjoyed the brisk night air. I'd like to add that Geddy was looking particularly dapper in his leather jacket and scarf. And the evening itself was gorgeous. Clear, cool, and breezy. The waning moon was just a little less than full. It was big and bright and to look back over my shoulder and see it glowing against the black sky really set the perfect mood for The Garden, especially as Ged made his subtle and heartfelt dedication to Ray's son, who had passed away earlier that day. One of my favorite shows to date...in spite of (and partially because of) the cold temperature. Besides, it was a nice change from the typical steamy outdoor venues, though the weather at the Tampa show two days later was phenomenal...so no complaints there either.

Never been rained on at a RUSH show, fortunately. But I was comped some "VIP" (I use that term very loosely) tickets to an outdoor Lynyrd Skynyrd show a few years back. Even the shelter of the Jack Daniels hospitality tent couldn't keep me dry when the monsoon came. The show was cancelled. And I was perfectly fine with that. ;)

• Like 1

I was a bit out of my head at the last atlanta show, so I didn't realize it was cold until towards the end of the show

Haha! At the last minute, I was finally able to convince my hubby to go to the show with me. At that point, all that was left were lawn seats and he ended up with an unintentional case of the Marleys. I'm not sure he noticed the cold either :P . But one thing is for sure; the seat heaters were on for the entire 4-hour drive back to Savannah.

• Like 1

I was a bit out of my head at the last atlanta show, so I didn't realize it was cold until towards the end of the show

Haha! At the last minute, I was finally able to convince my hubby to go to the show with me. At that point, all that was left were lawn seats and he ended up with an unintentional case of the Marleys. I'm not sure he noticed the cold either :P . But one thing is for sure; the seat heaters were on for the entire 4-hour drive back to Savannah.

once the shit wore off I realized I really shouldn't have worn shorts to this gig

Rush has definitely played more outside venues in the past few tours as compared to the 80s when they played mostly arenas, at least in the east...

I have seen my share of shows outdoors in recent years but most of them are during the summer and usually its really hot and the air is thick and still....(forgive me)

I can remember a show or two at Jones beach on Long Island where it was cool with a pretty steady breeze coming in off the water....

I wasn't in Atlanta on the first leg of this tour last fall when the temp in Alpharetta was about 40 and Geddy had on a leather jacket and scarf....I missed that show as Hurricane Sandy knocked out our power in NJ and I went home after the Charlotte show rather than continue on to Georgia...

Well, last night was not freezing by any means....probably about 55 with a real steady breeze at the Farm Bureau Live Amp in Virginia Beach...

Ged was decked out in another leather jacket and scarf and thanked the crowd twice for braving the cold and coming out...

Almost all my rush concert experiences somehow involve me being hot, sweaty and thirsty as most shows are either indoors or outside during the summer....

Just curious if anyone has had a rush concert experience where weather really factored in....cold, rain, etc...

I know there was that Chicago show where the stage got drenched before the show and it was cancelled due to electrical problems....but i am more wondering what people have gone through during an actual show....

anyone ever watch rush in an outdoor place with no roof and get rained on?

I got drenched on lawn seats during R30 in Mansfield, MA in 2004. Absolutely soaked to the bone. But, I will never forget rocking out in a warm rain on a summer night to live Rush. A fantastic memory. :D :rush: :haz:

Edit to add: oh yeah, my one "cold" concert was a Tull concert outdoor at 42 degrees (chilly) They played a lot from Stand Up. It was a great night, despite the temps.

Edited by CygnusGal