Tell Me Your Inspirational RUSH Story

HowItIs

Hi TRFers. Long time no read. My apologies -- I got a job writing for an online political blog (it pays and everything!) so I've been busy. But I've seen a project on a crowdsourcing site raising funds for a book of Rush stories from fans. I've had a similar idea for several months and am going ahead with mine, having been jogged out of complacency.

I want to put together a book - it will have to be an e-book - of inspirational stories from Rush fans. I have spoken to so many of you who told me that Rush and their music helped you through a personal crisis or rough patch. I have my own story which some of you know. But I want as many as I can find. I can't pay you but I won't charge you, either. You will get an acknowledgement in the credits and a copy of the e-book. It's possible I may be able to get someone from the Rush family to write a Forward. So, if you want to tell your story, I want to hear it. I will edit, so don't worry about spelling/grammar. Just send me your story. You can email me at yuga2@aol.com (or PM me here). Please put "Rush story" in the subject line (I'm pretty ruthless about deleting unknown email).

Thanks and Rush On!

There's a fan from Las Vegas named Phil Simon who was starting something like this, just a week or two ago. "A book by Rush fans for Rush fans," full of our personally-told "best moments" as fans. His request for submissions (each one accompanied by a donation towards getting the book printed) was posted on RiaB.

As I said, that was a week or two ago. After getting only 19 donations, less than $1000 of his hoped-for $20,000, he pulled the plug on the project this weeked.

Thanks, Blue J, Shlappin', Liana and ALifeson!

I don't have a deadline set at the moment. Right now I'm trying to gather enough stories to fill a good-sized book (20-30) and, since the Boys are distracting most of us at the moment, I hadn't settled on a firm date. Just send it along as soon as you feel ready. They don't need to be super long, either.

Geddy's Mullet - I saw that project. That's what made me get started on this. I'd had this idea several months ago but have just been swamped. But that lit a fire under me. I figured since I'm only looking for inspirational stories - not cute or funny or weird - it's not exactly the same. I also felt that asking people to put up $125 to tell me their story was unfair. So I decided to do this on a smaller scale. I can self-publish an ebook and don't need to raise money to do so.

During the Presto tour my friend and I saw them in downtown Miami. We took the Tri-Rail down to the concert from West Palm only to discover AFTER the show that the Tri-Rail did not run that late!

We were stuck in hoodville until 7am the next morning!

There's a fan from Las Vegas named Phil Simon who was starting something like this, just a week or two ago. "A book by Rush fans for Rush fans," full of our personally-told "best moments" as fans. His request for submissions (each one accompanied by a donation towards getting the book printed) was posted on RiaB.

As I said, that was a week or two ago. After getting only 19 donations, less than $1000 of his hoped-for $20,000, he pulled the plug on the project this weeked.

http://www.kickstart...stories-of-rush

He got almost 1 K in just 2 weeks and decided to pull the project because it was not going to work? Maybe he should listen to Marathon or Bravado a few more times.

http://www.kickstart...stories-of-rush

He got almost 1 K in just 2 weeks and decided to pull the project because it was not going to work? Maybe he should listen to Marathon or Bravado a few more times.

He insisted on a deadline of May 26 or so, for the whole $20,000. That seemed outside the realm of possibility to me, and perhaps also to him now. Even if the rate of donations/submissions continued at the same pace they were, it would've taken him another five or six months to get the full $20K. That could be why he pulled the plug.

I also felt that asking people to put up $125 to tell me their story was unfair.

He was mostly doing that to get the start-up funding, but I hear ya. If you wanted your piece published (and I did!), you had to pay. The $125 donation only got you a 125-words-or-less submission. I wrote a short piece and then had to chop and chop to keep the word count within bounds. I began thinking of donating more money so that I'd be permitted more words... but I didn't get anything sent before he pulled the plug.

He was mostly doing that to get the start-up funding, but I hear ya. If you wanted your piece published (and I did!), you had to pay. The $125 donation only got you a 125-words-or-less submission. I wrote a short piece and then had to chop and chop to keep the word count within bounds. I began thinking of donating more money so that I'd be permitted more words... but I didn't get anything sent before he pulled the plug.

Well, I have no word count limit. In fact, longer stories even out the shorter ones so I get an average of a story per page. If you still want to write yours up, I will add it to the collection. Just drop me an email :)

:bump:

I'm thinking about doing this, but I'm not sure which story to tell! :LOL:

Yes, Rush has been that inspirational to me...

Tell ALL of them.

This! :yes:

I'm thinking about doing this, but I'm not sure which story to tell! :LOL:

Yes, Rush has been that inspirational to me...

Tell ALL of them.

This! :yes:

Yes! That's the tack I decided to take, too.

I hope to be sending it to you tomorrow. It's done, but it's just not all typed yet.