Blargh Sabbath NEW ""13"" album, will you buy the "double" album soft-pack? Or the bare bones 8 track HARDON pack!??

treeduck

which version of the new BLARRGGH SABBATH  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which edition will you buy?

• I will buy the soft-pack deluxe double album, with extra tracks, I hope it's so,so so, soft too...
    • I will buy the regular, bare bones HARD AS MY COCK jewel case edtion, with 8 tracks
    • I'll buy none of this bogus bullshit!! I believe in the Sabbath of the 70's and 80's only!
    • I'll buy the Best Buy SUPER deluxe version, with extra tracks and extra-extra track that no one can get, except Best Buy turds
    • I'll buy the ULTRA deluxe vinyl, DVD, CD, DAT, etc edition you bet your best lavatory log I will!
    • I'll buy the vertical glow in the dark, amber shining gold embossed rich chump edition made of Ozzy's compacted pubic hair, scraped from the inside Sharon's nose while she was drugged to the gills on coke
    • I hate Sabbath and I always have, so obviously nothing for me thanks.
    • I'm a DIO fan, f**k Ozzy all his solo albums suck! So you know this will too!

My initial thoughts.

I don't think I'll get many likes for this, but I'm gonna speak my mind nonetheless.

Iommi does a superb job every f***ing second of the album. The riffage, the touch, the control, the feeling... He's just at the top of his game. A true master.

So is Geezer.

But aside from this, the album is weak. In the opening track, I find myself imagining Bill Ward's crazy snare drums, his jazzy fills, in the "holes" that Tony leaves open... But no, it's just standard drumming. I miss Bill's "orchestra" (if you read Tony's bio you know what I'm talking about)....

I have not heard the album yet (though I have heard several cuts), but having seen Sabbath live 4 times since they first reunited in late '98, I can tell you while they may miss Bill's drumming, the rest of us do too because he simply can't do that shit anymore. Too bad that he can't because when he was young he was really, really good. Now he's a very basic backbeat kind of drummer. When watching them the last 15 years I often found myself air drumming his "orchestra" as well as hearing them in my head while he was laying down a basic, boring backbeat. Sad IMO.

Oh, and I'm not surprised by your feelings on Iommi. Dude IS metal guitar personified. Fukking genius.

Yeah, I know Bill can't cut it live, I wasn't expecting that.

But - money issues aside - maybe in a studio setting, for an album, he could still bring the old game back.

I got used also to Vinnie's granitic style, which is quite the opposite of Bill's.

But still, I don't know... with so many drummers out there... I mean, it's like Tony IS PLAYING FOR BILL on the whole damn record. It's like he's expecting him to be there.

Further listens needed....

My initial thoughts.

I don't think I'll get many likes for this, but I'm gonna speak my mind nonetheless.

Iommi does a superb job every f***ing second of the album. The riffage, the touch, the control, the feeling... He's just at the top of his game. A true master.

So is Geezer.

But aside from this, the album is weak. In the opening track, I find myself imagining Bill Ward's crazy snare drums, his jazzy fills, in the "holes" that Tony leaves open... But no, it's just standard drumming. I miss Bill's "orchestra" (if you read Tony's bio you know what I'm talking about).

Ozzy sounds like a resurrected zombie. And the lyrics are the most bland, uninspired, boooooring words I've ever heard on a Sabbath record.

This is not a band effort. Not if, with "band", you mean individuals bringing a vision together that is greater than the sum of its parts. These are two terrific musicians bringing their best, a producer, a dummy with a big name, a good drummer in the wrong seat.

There isn't the Sabbath vision, the Sabbath philosophy, the Sabbath immersive aesthetics... You (or at least, I) cannot sink with your mind in this album, there's no landscape, no coherence: the guitar parts NEED those drums to come alive, the voice NEEDS that sincerity that is solely lacking, the lyrics NEED to go beyond the standard "80s metal crap lyrics".

I know the way, here, is to follow the hype. You WANT to like an album and every new album that comes out it's always "their best since", be them Kiss, Van Halen, Rush or The Invisible String Band.

Well, so far this album is quite disappointing to me.

Bring on the old hippies!!! :codger:

Yeah but are you gonna buy the soft pack? :smoke:

Only if it comes walking down to me, "with open arms / and open legs"!!!

More like you with an open (soft leather) wallet...

:hail:

My initial thoughts.

So is Geezer.

But aside from this, the album is weak. In the opening track, I find myself imagining Bill Ward's crazy snare drums, his jazzy fills, in the "holes" that Tony leaves open... But no, it's just standard drumming. I miss Bill's "orchestra" (if you read Tony's bio you know what I'm talking about)....

I have not heard the album yet (though I have heard several cuts), but having seen Sabbath live 4 times since they first reunited in late '98, I can tell you while they may miss Bill's drumming, the rest of us do too because he simply can't do that shit anymore. Too bad that he can't because when he was young he was really, really good. Now he's a very basic backbeat kind of drummer. When watching them the last 15 years I often found myself air drumming his "orchestra" as well as hearing them in my head while he was laying down a basic, boring backbeat. Sad IMO.

Oh, and I'm not surprised by your feelings on Iommi. Dude IS metal guitar personified. Fukking genius.

Yeah, I know Bill can't cut it live, I wasn't expecting that.

But - money issues aside - maybe in a studio setting, for an album, he could still bring the old game back.

I got used also to Vinnie's granitic style, which is quite the opposite of Bill's.

But still, I don't know... with so many drummers out there... I mean, it's like Tony IS PLAYING FOR BILL on the whole damn record. It's like he's expecting him to be there.

Further listens needed....

Listen to this.

That is bill drumming. IN 1994.

I could've sworn there was a tape of this show were Ozzy screams Mother f*cker BEFORE the show starts.

Also, since you were there, do you recall if there were actually Keyboards present during Sabbra Cadabra? (I realise that it might be a stretch to ask, due to memory and stuff.)

Because some people say that they were put on the live album after the fact.

The bonus tracks are worth it.

When I heard this on iTunes my first impression is that it's much better than The Devil You Know. It's probably better than Technical Ecstasy, maybe better than Never Say Die! The first 6? That's asking a lot from a bunch of 60 somethings. But like with Clockwork Angels, an old favorite of mine has reached back and put out a (so far as I can tell, after only 1 time through) very enjoyable album.

• Like 1

When I heard this on iTunes my first impression is that it's much better than The Devil You Know. It's probably better than Technical Ecstasy, maybe better than Never Say Die! The first 6? That's asking a lot from a bunch of 60 somethings. But like with Clockwork Angels, an old favorite of mine has reached back and put out a (so far as I can tell, after only 1 time through) very enjoyable album.

for me it's definitely a stronger album as a whole than technical ecstacy/never say die, however those albums have a couple of tracks that I'd put above anything on this record. however, this is DEFINITELY the best sabbath album since mob rules in my opinion, and I really wish these old pricks would come to atlanta so I could see them live before they croak.

one issue that I do have, although this is common with the majority of new albums I hear, is that I can't see myself listening to it for too long or too many times (which was the case with the devil you know). when an old band tries to recreate the sound that made them great and semi-pulls it off like sabbath have done, there's always the issue that there's not much of a point to repeatedly listen when the classic material is already there. why listen to a bunch of guys trying to sound like master of reality and vol. 4 when you've already got master of reality and vol. 4?

for me it's definitely a stronger album as a whole than technical ecstacy/never say die, however those albums have a couple of tracks that I'd put above anything on this record. however, this is DEFINITELY the best sabbath album since mob rules in my opinion, and I really wish these old pricks would come to atlanta so I could see them live before they croak.

I agree it's the best since Mob Rules, although that's not really a high bar. I'm not big on Born Again or Dehumanizer, and the Tony Martin era (or the Ray Gillen "era") does nothing for me.

Some of the songs musically sound a bit like The Devil You Know at times, but they change it up more within songs, like they did the first time around with Ozzy. I loved TDYK when it came out. I listened to it a month or so ago for the first time in 3+ years. Like you said, unless I'm going through a Dio binge, I'm going to listen to Heaven and Hell before I listen to TDYK

I love Zeitgeist's Planet Caravan feel.

Funny parts of the show.

Ozzy telling the host to shut the f**k up.

Geezer telling someone to shut up.

The host pissing Tony off (in jest) for not announcing his name when he was going to ask a question (Tony was there via google hangout as was brad)

Geezer: Well, the church's been havin' a go at us since day one, now it's our turn to have a go at them" (when talking about Dear Father)

and finally this

Ozzy Osbourne: Of course i'm going to do another Black Sabbath album, I'm back!"

Funny parts of the show.

Ozzy telling the host to shut the f**k up.

Geezer telling someone to shut up.

The host pissing Tony off (in jest) for not announcing his name when he was going to ask a question (Tony was there via google hangout as was brad)

Geezer: Well, the church's been havin' a go at us since day one, now it's our turn to have a go at them" (when talking about Dear Father)

and finally this

Ozzy Osbourne: Of course i'm going to do another Black Sabbath album, I'm back!"

When I get 90 I want to talk like Ozzy. Maybe I will need some surgery to be able to do so.

Thanks for sharing!!!