Meeting Peter Collins at the Nashville Show (NO spoilers)

Snaked

I'm posting this in the general RUSH forum rather than the tour forum because even though it occurred at the Nashville show, this is not concert related. Please bare with me if it goes on a little long.. this was fun for me :)

Last night at the Nashville show I had the pleasure of meeting Peter Collins. I saw him walking down the aisle to his seats and as he approached where I was I simply asked "You're Peter Collins, right?" and he of course said "Yes".

I extended my hand and introduced myself and simply said "Thank you".

Mr. Collins seemed a little taken aback by that and so I explained "Thank you for the work you did with my favorite band. I truly appreciate it."

His response was funny, to paraphrase 'I'm relieved you said that.. I'm never sure if a RUSH fan is going to thank me or want to smack me' (again, significant paraphrase because I don't remember his exact words here.. but that was the meaning behind it all).

I was surprised at this point that he made no move at all to get away and I certainly wasn't blocking his path... so I just kept talking, asking small questions and even talking about other project he was involved in like Queensryche and Air Supply... to which he mentioned "(RUSH) was a bit worried the first time we met since I had just worked with Air Supply". This line of conversation ended with "Good music is good music!"

At the end of our conversation which probably lasted close to 5 minutes he left me with a little anecdote regarding Counterparts (I had mentioned The Caveman). According to Mr. Collins, Kevin Shirley told Neil the first time they met that he could get his drum sound in less than 20 minutes... and although it wasn't quite 20 minutes, it wasn't much more. And that is the drum sound you hear on Counterparts!

Mr. Collins then introduced me to the 2 people he was attending the show with who were also quite nice and he then went off to his seat which was about 20 feet tops from where I was... so I got a kick out of watching him watch the show.. .and he stayed for the whole thing!

Now, you would think the story ends right there. But it doesn't.

After the show ended P.C. and his guests start to walk out of their row and I just smile and give a nod and he walks over to ME, extends his hand and says "Thank you!" just the same way I had started the conversation earlier! Not only does he stop by me, he makes no move to carry on so I ask him if he has time for another question or two directly related to his work with RUSH.. he says "Sure!"

Now many of you might think my questions were lame, I don't care. These are things I've always wondered about Hold Your Fire.

1. Is the laugh at the beginning of Force 10 Aimee Mann?

-NO! It was a sample that Andy Richards had in his keyboards!

(big surprise to me, I always thought for sure it was her!)

—P.C. also added at that the jackhammer was another sample from Andy Richards which just happened to fit the song!

(y'all are going to think I'm nuts for the next question, but it's always bothered me!)

2. Is Aimee Mann doing a harmony vocal after the bridge on Open Secrets?

-P.C. "I don't remember! I'm going to have to go back and listen to that!"

We shared a quick laugh, I shook the hands of his guests one last time and we said goodbye.

I just thought it was incredibly cool to actually have several minutes to chat with a producer whom I not only have a tremendous amount of respect for, but who is responsible for some of my favorite music from my favorite band.

Mr. Collins was incredibly friendly, gracious and generous with his time. And again I say, "Thank you..." but this time for taking the time to indulge a fan.

• Like 7

As far as I know, she did vocals in Open Secrets and a "backwards" vocal on Tai Shan towards the end of the song.

Very nice story. Sounds like he's a genuinely cool dude. I definitely agree that he did great work with Rush.

He was super cool.

I've met some nice people in my day who will take a minute to shake your hand and pass a plesentry or two.. but he was genuinely engaged in the conversation which really blew me away.

Shirley got Neil's drum sound in 20 minutes and it has not been matched since. Collins gave us arguably the greatest production on a Rush record in Power Windows. I don't hate Chycki or anything but I really think Rush is dropping the ball by not working with Collins and maybe even Shirley again. Edited by presto123

I'm posting this in the general RUSH forum rather than the tour forum because even though it occurred at the Nashville show, this is not concert related. Please bare with me if it goes on a little long.. this was fun for me :)

Last night at the Nashville show I had the pleasure of meeting Peter Collins. I saw him walking down the aisle to his seats and as he approached where I was I simply asked "You're Peter Collins, right?" and he of course said "Yes".

Mr. Collins seemed a little taken aback by that and so I explained "Thank you for the work you did with my favorite band. I truly appreciate it."

His response was funny, to paraphrase 'I'm relieved you said that.. I'm never sure if a RUSH fan is going to thank me or want to smack me' (again, significant paraphrase because I don't remember his exact words here.. but that was the meaning behind it all).

I was surprised at this point that he made no move at all to get away and I certainly wasn't blocking his path... so I just kept talking, asking small questions and even talking about other project he was involved in like Queensryche and Air Supply... to which he mentioned "(RUSH) was a bit worried the first time we met since I had just worked with Air Supply". This line of conversation ended with "Good music is good music!"

At the end of our conversation which probably lasted close to 5 minutes he left me with a little anecdote regarding Counterparts (I had mentioned The Caveman). According to Mr. Collins, Kevin Shirley told Neil the first time they met that he could get his drum sound in less than 20 minutes... and although it wasn't quite 20 minutes, it wasn't much more. And that is the drum sound you hear on Counterparts!

Mr. Collins then introduced me to the 2 people he was attending the show with who were also quite nice and he then went off to his seat which was about 20 feet tops from where I was... so I got a kick out of watching him watch the show.. .and he stayed for the whole thing!

After the show ended P.C. and his guests start to walk out of their row and I just smile and give a nod and he walks over to ME, extends his hand and says "Thank you!" just the same way I had started the conversation earlier! Not only does he stop by me, he makes no move to carry on so I ask him if he has time for another question or two directly related to his work with RUSH.. he says "Sure!"

Now many of you might think my questions were lame, I don't care. These are things I've always wondered about Hold Your Fire.

—P.C. also added at that the jackhammer was another sample from Andy Richards which just happened to fit the song!

(y'all are going to think I'm nuts for the next question, but it's always bothered me!)

We shared a quick laugh, I shook the hands of his guests one last time and we said goodbye.

I just thought it was incredibly cool to actually have several minutes to chat with a producer whom I not only have a tremendous amount of respect for, but who is responsible for some of my favorite music from my favorite band.

Mr. Collins was incredibly friendly, gracious and generous with his time. And again I say, "Thank you..." but this time for taking the time to indulge a fan.

Awesome Snaked! Good for you! Am extremely jealous. And here I thought **I** was special 'cause I caught a t shirt out of Neil's gun at the Austin show. :coy:

Clem

Very nice story. Sounds like he's a genuinely cool dude. I definitely agree that he did great work with Rush.

He was super cool.

I've met some nice people in my day who will take a minute to shake your hand and pass a plesentry or two.. but he was genuinely engaged in the conversation which really blew me away.

especially because it was with you....

in all seriousnous, nice story....

now why don't you tell everyone how you were stalking neil's bus at the hotel in nashville.....lol....

oh right, it was just coincidence that you were staying there too you high roller you....

He was super cool.

now why don't you tell everyone how you were stalking neil's bus at the hotel in nashville.....lol....

oh right, it was just coincidence that you were staying there too you high roller you....

I got that hotel through Hotwire!

Hahaha!!! I really wanted the Sheraton Music City but instead I got to sleep with Neil's bus in the parking lot.

He was super cool.

I got that hotel through Hotwire!

Hahaha!!! I really wanted the Sheraton Music City but instead I got to sleep with Neil's bus in the parking lot.

I suppose I am the stalker as I passed that bus on Interstate 40 on the way from nashville to raleigh, only to have you dopes say,

"YOU ARE AWARE THAT NEIL IS NOT ON THAT BUS RIGHT NOW."

like they were gonna stop and say hi if he was.....

Well, at least if you are ever on jeapordy, you can be confident when you tell Alex Trebeck, "I'll take Rush producers for $1000 Alex."

Shirley got Neil's drum sound in 20 minutes and it has not been matched since. Collins gave us arguably the greatest production on a Rush record in Power Windows. I don't hate Chycki or anything but I really think Rush is dropping the ball by not working with Collins and maybe even Shirley again.

Shirley would be great—keep Nick though—he's money!

Wonderful!

I actually am not a real big Counterparts fan, but I think the drum sound on that record is unreal. Power Windows has a good drum sound too.

I haven't been enamored with the DWs on record, to tell you the truth.

• Like 1

I actually am not a real big Counterparts fan, but I think the drum sound on that record is unreal. Power Windows has a good drum sound too.

I haven't been enamored with the DWs on record, to tell you the truth.

Yep. Too warm and too muddy at times.

Fabulous story, snaked! He sounds like a very nice gentleman. Your introduction was pitch perfect. Thank you indeed, Peter Collins. And, thank you snaked for thanking him and sharing your experience. :ebert:

Great story!

I wish they'd work with the Caveman again,from what I saw in the Rush doc, he seems to have "raw" approach when it comes to record sounds.

I'm fine with Nick R's production, Collins was right for the time.