Sitting during Rush concert..A sin??

Manatee30444

I dunno. I guess standing is okay, but apparently rocking out by banging your head and pumping your fists is a sin because I was just told that I'm pissing everybody behind me off. BTW, I'm 2nd row on the floor and was told this.

Jeez, people are f***ing old!!!

2nd row you should be ejected for not standing and moving your body. Holy shit that's f*cked up.

For any floor seats if you don't expect to stand, then you're a fool. LOL

Not just any floor seats. 2nd ROW! Gotta rock out...otherwise you'll bum out the people around you and possibly the band.

Hehehe...

I would expect to stand anywhere on the floor tho, particularly the further back one goes. It's a domino effect there. Actually, it's a domino effect even moreso up top where standing is completely unnecessary. Anywhere that they have stadium (riser) seating, there should be no reason to stand other than as a matter of personal preference.

FWIW tho, over half the arena in B-more was not standing throughout the show or even close. Including the floor section, I'd estimate that between 40 and 45% were tho.

I expect the same at Mohegan Sun tonight.

I dunno. I guess standing is okay, but apparently rocking out by banging your head and pumping your fists is a sin because I was just told that I'm pissing everybody behind me off. BTW, I'm 2nd row on the floor and was told this.

2nd row you should be ejected for not standing and moving your body. Holy shit that's f*cked up.

For any floor seats if you don't expect to stand, then you're a fool. LOL

Not just any floor seats. 2nd ROW! Gotta rock out...otherwise you'll bum out the people around you and possibly the band.

Hehehe...

I would expect to stand anywhere on the floor tho, particularly the further back one goes. It's a domino effect there. Actually, it's a domino effect even moreso up top where standing is completely unnecessary. Anywhere that they have stadium (riser) seating, there should be no reason to stand other than as a matter of personal preference.

FWIW tho, over half the arena in B-more was not standing throughout the show or even close. Including the floor section, I'd estimate that between 40 and 45% were tho.

I expect the same at Mohegan Sun tonight.

I don't know that arena, could be. ... Was it?

I wandered onto the Snakes & Arrows tour section of Wikipedia and they had both capacities and attendance figures for all the arenas on that tour.

I found that good to know when buying tix. The more info you have on the size/layout of the arena, the easier it makes it to get good tix, particularly if you don't have the scratch for VIPs.

I don't sit at concerts ,but for the 1 time at a Weird Al show ,(yes laugh) , it's weird al, but the entire audience was parents and kids in maybe a 500 to 1000 seat venue....

Standing for some shows is completely inappropriate and you will be asked to sit or then ultimately leave.

I mean try standing at a Trans Siberian Orchestra performance or something, you'll get tossed for disrupting.

I didn't even know that Weird Al was still doin' his thang.

It's funny, Rush has all these songs that focus and center around the greed and selfishness of people, yet here's an entire thread dedicated to me-first thinking.

Think that thru the next time you or anyone else wants to insist on standing everyone else be damned.

I was thinking along the same lines, except those who try to make others bow to their will are the selfish ones. Some of those maples can't handle the oaks standing so they form a union. LOL. Sorry, I'm a maple, very short and sometimes have to sit but I've never tried to cut down an oak. Maybe short people should tell all tall people to scoot down. Whats the difference between that and dictating that people should sit at a rock concert. If the venue allows standing, then people are going to stand. You go prepared for that and don't harrass people about it.

Who the heck would want to sit at a Rush concert? If something is aching take some damn Advil and suck it up.

I'm glad I'm not aging like that and I am pretty old. When I had problems with my leg I could not stand for very long, and went to about four rock concerts that year. I didn't feel the need to tell everyone in front of me to sit because I had to. How selfish is that.... When it comes to Rush I'll take the consequences of standing for three hours, I don't care if it hurts, it's Rush. The band is older than I am and look what they do night after night during a tour, I'm sure they feel it, so it's a little wussy for us to complain about just standing there. Or if other people stand, or fist pump or head bang, because some people don't want to, no one is supposed to do it? Huh?

And then there were the times I took my mother to see Manilow and Neil Diamond, there were elderly women standing the whole time, waving their arms and squealing like teenyboppers. LOL, now those are fans.

Again, it comes down to planning. Try asking a 6 or 8 year old girl (daughters) to stand for three hours. As well, I personally need a hip-replacement and don't have health insurance for what would amount to a $35K procedure. So there are days, not that often, but they do occur, where it is literally impossible for me to stand for 3 hours.

If you're sitting up front, expect to stand, that's all there is to it.

What I don't get is when people buy first row seats in the 2nd or 3rd levels and then stand the entire show and then get upset when an entire section, not just one or two people, are inconvenienced simply because they don't prefer to stand ... BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE TO, otherwise and except for a couple/few people standing in the front, to see the show just fine from where they are.

I sat for over 90% of the show in B-more and had a FANTASTIC time!!

I actually wanted to stand more, but you know what, I didn't because I looked behind me and realized that if I did then either A, an entire group of people behind wouldn't be able to see well, or B, that they would then stand too and I figured that since they were ALL sitting that they preferred it that way.

So what did I do, I sulked, rehashed this conversation in my head, pouted, and got PO'd!!!

NOT!!!

No, instead, I sat there in my front row 2nd level seat and had a fan-f'n-tastic time!!! My legs were moving the entire time!

Honestly, how does anyone claim that it's impossible to enjoy a show or that we somehow owe something to the band and that by not standing we violate such idiotic premises!

It's funny, Rush has all these songs that focus and center around the greed and selfishness of people, yet here's an entire thread dedicated to me-first thinking.

Think that thru the next time you or anyone else wants to insist on standing everyone else be damned.

Again, don't get me wrong, there are sections where people should, reasonably, be expected to stand, like the entire floor first and foremost, but after that, that's simply not categorically the case by a long shot.

I'm glad I'm not aging like that and I am pretty old. When I had problems with my leg I could not stand for very long, and went to about four rock concerts that year. I didn't feel the need to tell everyone in front of me to sit because I had to. How selfish is that.... When it comes to Rush I'll take the consequences of standing for three hours, I don't care if it hurts, it's Rush. The band is older than I am and look what they do night after night during a tour, I'm sure they feel it, so it's a little wussy for us to complain about just standing there. Or if other people stand, or fist pump or head bang, because some people don't want to, no one is supposed to do it? Huh?

And then there were the times I took my mother to see Manilow and Neil Diamond, there were elderly women standing the whole time, waving their arms and squealing like teenyboppers. LOL, now those are fans.

Again, it comes down to planning. Try asking a 6 or 8 year old girl (daughters) to stand for three hours. As well, I personally need a hip-replacement and don't have health insurance for what would amount to a $35K procedure. So there are days, not that often, but they do occur, where it is literally impossible for me to stand for 3 hours.

If you're sitting up front, expect to stand, that's all there is to it.

What I don't get is when people buy first row seats in the 2nd or 3rd levels and then stand the entire show and then get upset when an entire section, not just one or two people, are inconvenienced simply because they don't prefer to stand ... BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE TO, otherwise and except for a couple/few people standing in the front, to see the show just fine from where they are.

I sat for over 90% of the show in B-more and had a FANTASTIC time!!

I actually wanted to stand more, but you know what, I didn't because I looked behind me and realized that if I did then either A, an entire group of people behind wouldn't be able to see well, or B, that they would then stand too and I figured that since they were ALL sitting that they preferred it that way.

So what did I do, I sulked, rehashed this conversation in my head, pouted, and got PO'd!!!

NOT!!!

No, instead, I sat there in my front row 2nd level seat and had a fan-f'n-tastic time!!! My legs were moving the entire time!

Honestly, how does anyone claim that it's impossible to enjoy a show or that we somehow owe something to the band and that by not standing we violate such idiotic premises!

Again, don't get me wrong, there are sections where people should, reasonably, be expected to stand, like the entire floor first and foremost, but after that, that's simply not categorically the case by a long shot.

By far the BEST post on this stupid thread!!!! Bravo!

I was thinking along the same lines, except those who try to make others bow to their will are the selfish ones. Some of those maples can't handle the oaks standing so they form a union. LOL. Sorry, I'm a maple, very short and sometimes have to sit but I've never tried to cut down an oak. Maybe short people should tell all tall people to scoot down. Whats the difference between that and dictating that people should sit at a rock concert. If the venue allows standing, then people are going to stand. You go prepared for that and don't harrass people about it.

LOL, ...

OK Mrs. Maple,

The problem w/ your line of thinking here is at least two-fold. First. some of these "oaks" that you cite, insist on planting themselves smack in the middle of a maple field!! Again, you consider this to be considerate?

Second, by your personal decree, the DEFAULT situation for this is standing. The problem w/ that is that they put seats on the floor. They know that no one's going to be using them, so why bother! The stands are different. If you'd take your me-first glasses off for a moment you'd notice that most of the upper levels are NOT standing!

So what, you think that they all for some reason want to stand, but simply cannot muster the energy or something? Are 10,000 people SITTING there regreting having come because they can't stand up? Clearly they're not all so stoned that they can't get up.

Again, classic me-first thinking that you cannot even reason around the short-sightedness of your own position, eh.

Allow me to ask, if say someone w/ some little kids were behind you, directly, in the first few rows of a section, and you insisted on standing, if asked, would you switch seats so that the kids could see better and didn't have to have their view blocked by someone such as yourself? I'd bet that the answer would be no like those in front of us in Bristow, VA. It shouldn't matter to someone insisting on standing one bit, right? I mean what, we're talking about a couple of completely unnoticeable feet here.

Because even if the kids stood, they would still not be able to see around you given the height differential? Screw them! F'k the kids ... right?

Here's my question, to at which point absolutely none of you defending this position have answered, but if you're so bent on standing, then why not just get f'n seats where you know that everyone else will be standing? Really. Is that a difficult task?

Whats the difference between that and dictating that people should sit at a rock concert. If the venue allows standing, then people are going to stand. You go prepared for that and don't harrass people about it.

HELLO! McFly! Anyone home McFly?!

Yes, EXACTLY!! You go PREPARED, part of which is preparing by buying appropriate tix where you know everyone else will be standing.

I really don't get it? The difference is that you know damn well which sections people stand in and which ones they sit in. So why not simply buy those seats/tix? What, you're incapable, mentally, in being able to distinguish ahead of time w/o actually being in the arena? LOL

Otherwise, I think you missed the point of The Trees entirely if you really believe all that you wrote.

It's not as if you were born w/o an ass, right?

It's not as if there isn't a seat behind you in the arena, right? ... does your ass not fit into the seat or something? I'm no small person, an Oak if you will, and yet I fit just fine. I also don't insist on imposing my Oak status on the Maples and if I wanted to stand, I'd buy tix where I knew that those around me would be standing by default too. But hey, I think about others in life. So much so that if my knees (9 surgeries) start to ache, guess what, I just stand up and block peoples' views when absolutely none of 'em were standing behind me! ... No, actually I excuse myself and go STAND somewhere else until I'm more comfortable. Imagine that.

Otherwise, check me if I'm wrong, were you born unable to sit down for some reason?

Hemorhoids? Well, if that's the case, then TFB given your line of reasoning, you expect others w/ worse conditions to stand, so perhaps you should simply suck it up and sit then, no?

You, and the others arguing similarly, are chasing your tails here polemically speaking.

Edited by Wingmaster

Not at all; my brother-in-law and I would prefer this. Everyone gets a clear view, leg muscles are saved, and everyone's comfortable for the duration of the concert... keeping your mind off how uncomfortable/tired you are, and allowing you to focus entirely on the band. Rush isn't the kind of band people really DANCE TO, anyway. Why stand?

Have a seat; enjoy the complex arrangements, flawlessly recreated live. People weren't standing during Beethoven's day, holding up candles and screaming "play the FIFTH, dude! Da-da-da-DUMMM!!!" They were appreciating the music.

I was in the balcony for one of the S&A shows, near the rail. Everyone in my area made a pact before the show started to remain seated. The people sitting behind me were happy, as was I. It was the most enjoyable Rush show I've ever been to, and SITTING may have had something to do with that. (Plus, you know, getting to MEET THE BAND beforehand. ;) )

Edited by GeddyRulz
  • Like 1

BTW, one of the things that makes those arguing your point come across as arrogant and self-centered is that according to y'all it's somehow wrong to want to sit for a show. ... PARTICULARLY when you know that there are sections that will mostly if not entirely stand. Yet, for some to this point completely inexplicable reason, you and others insist on not getting tix in those sections, but rather get tix in other sections and then impose your desires on others. Again, seemingly very un-Rush like if you ask me.

That's fine as an opinion, but who on earth are you (and others taking the same tack) to create policy as such?

It's merely pouring salt into the wound when those of you that stand insist or even imply that someone is a lesser fan of some sorts simply because, for whatever reasons they have and of their own f'n choosing, they CHOOSE to sit.

Who are you to insist or imply that they're wrong? I don't get it.

I was a Rush fan while some of those whom you speak about were still in diapers pickin' at their privates. I (or anyone else that does the same) don't need to be told or have it suggested that I'm a lesser fan simply b/c I enjoy sitting for most of the show.

Edited by Wingmaster

Not at all; my brother-in-law and I would prefer this. Everyone gets a clear view, leg muscles are saved, and everyone's comfortable for the duration of the concert... keeping your mind off how uncomfortable/tired you are, and allowing you to focus entirely on the band. Rush isn't the kind of band people really DANCE TO, anyway. Why stand?

Have a seat; enjoy the complex arrangements, flawlessly recreated live. People weren't standing during Beethoven's day, holding up candles and screaming "play the FIFTH, dude! Da-da-da-DUMMM!!!" They were appreciating the music.

I was in the balcony for one of the S&A shows, near the rail. Everyone in my area made a pact before the show started to remain seated. The people sitting behind me were happy, as was I. It was the most enjoyable Rush show I've ever been to, and SITTING may have had something to do with that. (Plus, you know, getting to MEET THE BAND beforehand. ;) )

PERFECT!!

And you know what Karena, I wouldn't, couldn't, take your position and buy tix down on the floor and then even consider asking anyone in front of me to sit down.

THAT would likewise be entirely inappropriate!

Empathy, love for others, eh!

Ahh, but as Rush sings so often, screw empathy and love for others, right. /s

; )

Edited by Wingmaster

I was a Rush fan while some of those whom you speak about were still in diapers pickin' at their privates. I (or anyone else that does the same) don't need to be told or have it suggested that I'm a lesser fan simply b/c I enjoy sitting for most of the show.

I don't believe in fan competition. I don't care who sits or why. My objection is people approaching other fans and asking them to sit, stop dancing or switch to a worse seat. :boo hiss:

I don't believe in fan competition. I don't care who sits or why. My objection is people approaching other fans and asking them to sit, stop dancing or switch to a worse seat. :boo hiss:

Competition has absolutely nothing to do with it. Sensitivity to others does, entirely.

Either way, the one consistent theme amongst those taking your side of this debate, and again, not to provoke or incite, rather merely pointing out the facts, is that none of you care about anyone else or their preferences.

There are ways of all but ensuring that most people are happy and accommodated, but you and yours don't care about that, all you clearly care about is yourselves, the interests of others be damned.

I really don't know what to say about that, it pretty much says what it says and is what it is, eh.

Unfortunately, IMO there are too many people like that in this world and again, entirely ironically, some of Rush's songs speak to such mentalities.

this thread comes up every tour and goes on for pages and pages

Do you prefer a set-list thread. LOL

It's funny, because Karena in this thread refers to those insisting on standing in what are generally sections where fans don't stand, as "oaks" per The Trees.

What's funny about that is that I guarantee that all of the people behind those people in those sections, and those forced to stand as a direct or then otherwise indirect (domino effect) result, have another word besides "oak(s)" in their minds at the time.

Domino Effect ... sounds like a good Rush song title.

As someone who physically cannot stand up for an entire gig, I of course don't feel that sitting down is a sin. I do, however, feel very strongly that it is absolutely wrong to ask anyone to sit down at a rock concert. If you want to sit down at a rock concert, you have to expect not to be able to see.

While I very much enjoy the interludes of sitting down and just listening intensely to the music that I find necessary these days to manage my physical stamina and pain levels for the duration of a gig, rock concerts are for getting excited, bouncing up and down, clapping hands over head and whatever other displays of enthusiasm can be managed within the footprint of the seat. As far as I'm concerned, if you're not invading your neighbouring seat's floor or elbow space, you should feel free to enjoy the concert as you see fit regardless of what the people around you are doing.

Would I LIKE it if everyone in front of me chose to sit down so that I could see during times when I'm not able to stand? Yes, of course I would. But would I insist that they were obligated to do it at a friggin' rock concert to cater to my needs? Not on your life.

• Like 1

Personally, I would never dream of asking anyone to sit down at a concert. It's a CONCERT, and it is to be expected, IMO. If I can't see, well, I shift so I can.

Most shows I go to, yes, I stand the whole time. I'm not going to stand for 3 straight hours, I will sit- but you better believe I will stand at random times throughout the show.

It's like my husband said- nowadays at rock shows, there are always "those people" that get all pissy and insist everyone sit because THEY can't see. It is a rock concert. That's ridiculous.

• Like 1

As someone who physically cannot stand up for an entire gig, I of course don't feel that sitting down is a sin. I do, however, feel very strongly that it is absolutely wrong to ask anyone to sit down at a rock concert. If you want to sit down at a rock concert, you have to expect not to be able to see.

While I very much enjoy the interludes of sitting down and just listening intensely to the music that I find necessary these days to manage my physical stamina and pain levels for the duration of a gig, rock concerts are for getting excited, bouncing up and down, clapping hands over head and whatever other displays of enthusiasm can be managed within the footprint of the seat. As far as I'm concerned, if you're not invading your neighbouring seat's floor or elbow space, you should feel free to enjoy the concert as you see fit regardless of what the people around you are doing.

Would I LIKE it if everyone in front of me chose to sit down so that I could see during times when I'm not able to stand? Yes, of course I would. But would I insist that they were obligated to do it at a friggin' rock concert to cater to my needs? Not on your life.

THIS THIS A MILLION TIMES THIS!!! I like you. lol.

Personally, I would never dream of asking anyone to sit down at a concert. It's a CONCERT, and it is to be expected, IMO. If I can't see, well, I shift so I can.

Most shows I go to, yes, I stand the whole time. I'm not going to stand for 3 straight hours, I will sit- but you better believe I will stand at random times throughout the show.

It's like my husband said- nowadays at rock shows, there are always "those people" that get all pissy and insist everyone sit because THEY can't see. It is a rock concert. That's ridiculous.

Again, you entirely miss the point.

Otherwise, someone recently brought up to me something related.

Suppose someone were holding a sign up in front of you for an extended period of time so that you couldn't see?

I'm sure you'd view that as a "violation" of ettiquette. Wouldn't you, or would you say that that's fine and they're perfectly within their rights?

Think it over, because there's a gnat's asshair of separation between the two.

Otherwise, I think it's pretty clear here, those taking your side of the debate clearly don't care about anyone else. Again, I find this to be tremendously un-Rush like.

Edited by Wingmaster

Suppose someone were holding a sign up in front of you for an extended period of time so that you couldn't see?

I'm sure you'd view that as a "violation" of ettiquette. Wouldn't you, or would you say that that's fine and they're perfectly within their rights?

Otherwise, I think it's pretty clear here, those taking your side of the debate clearly don't care about anyone else. Again, I find this to be tremendously un-Rush like.

I truly, truly never had an issue being behind "that" sort of person at a show. Never. They have a right to hold a sign up during a show. Again, I'll adjust how I'm standing so I can see. No biggie.

I have a right to stand at a rock concert. Not that hard to understand. I am there to rock out- I'm not an a**hole to those around me, I don't get trashed and yell at random people. I stand and dance/jam, which I DO have every right to do at a show. Just like anyone else.

I will never understand how some people have the mentality of "YOU CANNOT STAND DURING A CONCERT!!!!!!" that is just absurd.

And "un-Rush like"??? Really??? WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN.

• Like 1

I truly, truly never had an issue being behind "that" sort of person at a show. Never. They have a right to hold a sign up during a show. Again, I'll adjust how I'm standing so I can see. No biggie.

I have a right to stand at a rock concert. Not that hard to understand. I am there to rock out- I'm not an a**hole to those around me, I don't get trashed and yell at random people. I stand and dance/jam, which I DO have every right to do at a show. Just like anyone else.

I will never understand how some people have the mentality of "YOU CANNOT STAND DURING A CONCERT!!!!!!" that is just absurd.

Again, you miss the entire point. I never took a position that says standing at a show is verboten.

Gotta read the entire thread honey.

Either way, I'm finished with this. People are what they are.

Again, you miss the entire point. I never took a position that says standing at a show is verboten.

Gotta read the entire thread honey.

Either way, I'm finished with this. People are what they are.

I am not missing any points. You simply do not like my replies because they do not jive with YOUR opinion, so you are choosing to tell me I keep missing some sort of point.

No, I answered the question, and every question you laid out on the table for me. Not my problem you don't like what I've said.

I have read the entire thread, and please don't call me honey. People who attempt to insult me and act all high and mighty do not have my permission to call me "honey". lol.

And now you're just backing down because "BOO. I DON'T LIKE THESE ANSWERS. WAAHHHH." Ok, let me know when you're mature enough to actually have a civil debate.