Sitting during Rush concert..A sin??

Manatee30444

My wife has back problems and has to sit more than she stands. She would love to stand, but can't, all the time. For that reason, AND for the courtesy of others, I didn't get floor seats, this time. But, nobody better tell me to sit down!!!

No one should have to ask, eh.

When I stand, everyone behind me stands. I'm 100% conscious of it. I'm 6'3" and broad-shouldered. To not be conscious of it is to be inconsiderate. At both of the shows that I mentioned, I noticed that when I stood, the people behind me stood, when I/we did not, they did not. Obviousy the entire sections preferred to sit. So I tried to sit for the sake of the umpteen rows behind me, yet my view was then hindered by the people in front of me, once rude, the second time very polite. As well, so then to stand in the front of the section necessarily means/meant to consider ones preference as more important than the desires of everyone else behind you in that section.

I told neither to sit down, I very politely asked both. Nothin' wrong w/ that.

There's also nothing wrong w/ asking. Oddly, I'm not sure that most people have even thought things thru.

Either way, in order to avoid the issue, I no longer buy tix that have anyone in front of me. I will not go to future concerts if I can't get unobstructed tix for that very reason.

That's why lately, I've been spending way more money to get close floor seats. So far, it has allowed me to stand freely...which I've loved. :guitar:

That's the way you should look at it. No problem w/ standing, but just get "seats" where when you stand you've considered the majority of others that don't prefer standing throughout the entire show.

Again, Tom Sawyer, fine, the first few songs, fine, the first song or two of the second set, fine, stand. But for three hours? Unreasonable.

Unfortunately there's far too much anti-Golden Rule thinking that has people only concerned about "their rights" and their personal preferences to the extent that all people care about anymore is themselves.

I got VIP seats last year and 10th row seats for another show last year so this time around I dont have very good seats for the show im seeing in a week... I'm afraid im going to be the only one standing and jumping around!!! oh well :P :rush:

LOL, yeah, screw everyone else.

; )

I'm old-ish (53) and I get floor seats and always stand for Rush. I dont have a problem with folks that are Rush fans but choose to sit or sit for some songs. As other's have said, I dont put up people asking us to sit...isnt happening. Its a rock concert and we're standing.

What I dont like is what happened in NJ, we did VIP and had row 7...was awesome. There were about 8 guys in the row ahead of us that had some "comp" VIP tickets...one guy was into the show, the rest sat there, heads down the whole show...texting and just wishing to be anywhere else than the Prudential Center. WTF! If you dont like the band, dont take the tickets! Sure we did our best to ignore them and rock out...but they were in our field of view. Thankfully they left at intermission.

Amazing to me that someone would have an issue w/ others upset about you blocking their view, you not giving a crap, but then you actually caring about the passive behavior of a half dozen people that had no impact on you whatsoever.

If they wanted to buy the entire row and not show up or sleep during the show then that's their prerogative. You essentially tell people whose view you're blocking to go screw themselves, implicitly, but then take issue with people doing no one any harm? Really?

ah, the endless debate

LOL

Indeed

It's very interesting tho, in a way, to see the angles and sheer and utter lacks of consideration for other people that some people put forth. Interestingly, those that have said that they want to and insist on standing w/ a "screw everyone else" attitude also seem to take issue generally speaking w/ anyone that can seemingly enjoy the show while actually sitting in their seat. I realize that it's really reaching into the deepest realms of the mind to attempt to comprehend that anyone can possibly enjoy a concert while sitting down thru a good chunk of it. LOL

Edited by Wingmaster

Geddycorn here..I went to see Rush last night in Orlando and again was amazed by my favorite band since I was in Junior high..(35 now!) and was in Heaven the whole time.. sooooo excited to hear The Pass!! But...I have seen Rush many, many times throughout the years..and was shocked that everyone was sitting for the concert (other than floor seats!) I was horrified..I have never been to a Rush concert where everyone was sitting! Who can sit while the Holy Trinity is on stage?? The guy and his wife behind me actually tapped me on my shoulder to ask me to sit down..I guess I was rude cause I gave them a dirty look and Rushed on..Is this something new at Rush shows?? Its a Rock concert! I mean honestly I know the band and some of us fans are getting older..but come on! Please tell me this isn't normal? I want to scream, dance, gyrate and make a total ass of myself while they are playing..how do I do that sitting?? ugh..p.s My profile pic is my tattoo..sweet right! =) ..dying to show it off!

Those things behind you are called seats, they call them that for a reason. If you want to stand, get floor "seats." People mind less down there and it's more understandable.

Also gone are the 1 hour and 15 minute sets that they used to play live when we were all kids, eh.

That's why I bought seats front row this time just above floor level, so that people like you wouldn't force an entire section to stand.

We're not all in our 20s anymore w/ unlimited energy to stand for three hours. As for me, I have knee and hip issues from an accident where some driver hit me on my bicycle.

Try putting yourself in other peoples' shoes for a minute during your self-centered rant.

I'm not trying to be provocative, but honestly, do you think of anyone but yourself?

The area your seating in is called the "stands"

• Like 1

I've never sat at a RUSH concert except during their break...then i usually take a walk to the ladies room to pee anyhow. :laughing guy: Edited by Chicken hawk
  • Like 1

Yes I must be selfish and self centered, give me a break, I am new to the forum and I was looking for some honest opinions and or a good debate on why I am wrong, not to be put down, everyone has had given me good points for both, no need for being RUDE! Grow up. Edited by Manatee30444

Yes I must be selfish and self centered, give me a break, I am new to the forum and I was looking for some honest opinions and or a good debate on why I am wrong, not to be put down, everyone has had given me good points for both, no need for being RUDE! Grow up.

LOL

Again, I didn't see a good way of putting that, but you yourself put your desire to stand above the considerations of everyone.

You're new, fine, but then you come charging in here posting a highly controversial topic while expressing what YOU want to do. Great, fine, dandy, but then what, you expect the rest of us to be sympathetic to your selfishness?

Again, I was not deliberately trying to incite you as I pointed out, but if you think beyond yourself for a moment, perhaps you'll see the logic involved here.

If you, or anyone here, takes a look around themselves during a show midway thru, what you'll easily notice is that the vast majority of people are SITTING!!!

If they wanted to stand, they would be. On the floor they're usually standing more often than not, but that's the floor, it's expected down there. Hell, in the "old days" they often didn't even put seats on the floor and fans would line the floor standing.

As well, and since you haven't noticed, the crowds for Rush are older now, again, this ain't the '80s, and many are in their 50s and I've even seen many that have to be in their 60s, many bring families. Try telling a 9 year old that they'll have to stand for three straight f'ing hours because the person in front of them is only concerned about himself and insists on standing.

Again, get some perspective!

I think the one thing that comes to light is that those that prefer standing seem to have this f' the rest of everyone mentality that I view as being quite anti-Rush if you want my honest opinion.

Otherwise, you posted it, get a grip. Not everyone, in fact I dare say most, are not going to support such a selfish me-first attitude. And a me-first selfish attitude it indeed is, implicitly, when you take on the mantra that you don't care if you force an entire section behind you against their preferences to stand simply because you insist on having your way in a public arena.

And again, not trying to incite, unless you really are selfish, then I really don't mind and would have fun w/ it.. But I'm not going to tell you that you are, but honestly, what does it say when someone makes a point that they're going to do something and that they don't give a dam about what anyone thinks about it when it affects others? You tell me. I literallyl meant get a grip on your emotions. They're controlling you right now.

Otherwise, those of us that prefer to sit and may have good reasons for it (long days on our feet as it is, young children that can't see over and for whom it's otherwise unreasonable to force them to stand for hours, age-related physical issues that quite frankly may be none of your business, etc.) you may want to consider as well.

Then again, it's the modern era in America where everyone does whatever they want to all others be damned. LOL

Edited by Wingmaster

I would LOVE to be able to afford floor seats, hell I would give up a limb to be able to have an up close feel for just one concert, unfortunatley that is not the case with my financial life..And as a newby I did not realize it was highly controversial, I most certaintly did not mean to offend any fellow Rush fans..I am a lover not a fighter and just love my Rush..I just couldnt get "into" it sitting down..but after reading the NON ofensive comments I realize maybe I indeed should have sat as not to offend my fellow concert goers..I am just passionate about my favorite band..no harm there!! We dont need to put each other to get any points across, I realized I was wrong before you put me down..just saying..

I would LOVE to be able to afford floor seats, hell I would give up a limb to be able to have an up close feel for just one concert, unfortunatley that is not the case with my financial life..And as a newby I did not realize it was highly controversial, I most certaintly did not mean to offend any fellow Rush fans..I am a lover not a fighter and just love my Rush..I just couldnt get "into" it sitting down..but after reading the NON ofensive comments I realize maybe I indeed should have sat as not to offend my fellow concert goers..I am just passionate about my favorite band..no harm there!! We dont need to put each other to get any points across, I realized I was wrong before you put me down..just saying.

I hear ya, just once I'd like to sit among the first few rows like that. But honestly, I wouldn't sit back farther, certainly I wouldn't pay those ridiculous prices for floor seats further back either.

As to controversial, yeah, no problem, but really, LOL. I'd guess that's among the more controversial topics in any entertainment arena discussion, eh.

I wasn't offended, and certainly didn't mean to put you down, but it's difficult to be objective about this topic w/o saying controversial things. I mean how does one confront someone on the improprieties of something as simple as double-dipping w/o risking offending the person.

LOL

Anyway, I could tell by your post that you meant no ill will, and frankly, my comments were implicitly geared almost more towards some of the follow-on comments that appeared to be terminally insensitive to others as well.

I certainly respect you for recognizing that your decision in this way might infringe upon the viewing preferences of others.

And I have to say, as a solid Type-A personality type, years ago I wouldn't have minded standing too, although I've never prefered it except for stretches.

If was also much more fun too to stand on the floor of an arena when there were no seats down there. Back in the late '70s and early '80s, we'd actually have a choice to buy tickets to the floor w/o seating. Of course if you had a seat ticket, you could always go onto the floor anyway, they weren't as militaristic back then w/ the ushers and the likes. But the whole floor was for standing and at times and at the right show it was great. Keep in mind tho that the sets weren't typically much more than an hour and they had openers and there was only one set each. The openers' sets were often just 20 or 30 min.

One of the few shows that I went to when I was young that actually had floor seating, and don't laugh, was the Beach Boys in the mid-'70s.

Edited by Wingmaster

Some people just don't feel the need to stand , i am the same way. If i want to stand, i do. I am a go with the flow kind of guy. I don't get pissed if people stand in front of me , i just stand up. I laugh at the guys who's wives only let them out of the house once a year and feel the need to Headbang like it's the end of the world .

Some people just don't feel the need to stand , i am the same way. If i want to stand, i do. I am a go with the flow kind of guy. I don't get pissed if people stand in front of me , i just stand up. I laugh at the guys who's wives only let them out of the house once a year and feel the need to Headbang like it's the end of the world .

Everyone likes to see the show, and if you have someone in front of you standing, and you yourself don't want to (or can't) stand for three hours, then you cannot see the show. I can't say as I get pissed off, but it is frustrating an annoying, particularly under certain circumstances.

But again, and just for the sake of discussion, if someone insists on standing, and the person behind them offers to swap seats, why not do it if you're the standing person? All I know is that if I know ahead of time, like most people that prefer to stand seemingly do, that I'm going to be standing all concert long, why not get seats in the back of the section instead of the front so that you know you won't be pissing someone off? I don't get it, why do people feel the need to get front row seats and plan on standing the entire show? Really, nothing say f' everyone else, me, me, me like that does.

In fact, I used to love to stand at football games and I deliberately did that, get tix in the back of the section so that my friends and I could stand the entire game, and specifically so that we wouldn't create any issues. In sports arenas the ushers will actually come tell you to sit down if you think you're going to stand the entire game.

An ounce of consideration, eh ...

I do all of my sitting during the pre-show festivities.

Showtime? If I'm feeling it, I'm standing.

I'm sure I'll be standing on the 11th.

I'm glad you won't be at the 7th in front of me.

; )

Actually, I'm in the front row this time so no worries. The people standing on the floor level won't be an issue.

Love that window decal btw!! Cool look!

Edited by Wingmaster

I dunno. I guess standing is okay, but apparently rocking out by banging your head and pumping your fists is a sin because I was just told that I'm pissing everybody behind me off. BTW, I'm 2nd row on the floor and was told this.

Jeez, people are f***ing old!!!

I dunno. I guess standing is okay, but apparently rocking out by banging your head and pumping your fists is a sin because I was just told that I'm pissing everybody behind me off. BTW, I'm 2nd row on the floor and was told this.

I'm glad I'm not aging like that and I am pretty old. When I had problems with my leg I could not stand for very long, and went to about four rock concerts that year. I didn't feel the need to tell everyone in front of me to sit because I had to. How selfish is that.... When it comes to Rush I'll take the consequences of standing for three hours, I don't care if it hurts, it's Rush. The band is older than I am and look what they do night after night during a tour, I'm sure they feel it, so it's a little wussy for us to complain about just standing there. Or if other people stand, or fist pump or head bang, because some people don't want to, no one is supposed to do it? Huh?

And then there were the times I took my mother to see Manilow and Neil Diamond, there were elderly women standing the whole time, waving their arms and squealing like teenyboppers. LOL, now those are fans.

Yeah, I mean, when I say "old," I'm not necessarily referring to physical age, but rather, the mindset of these people. So I hope nobody thinks I'm knocking on older people in general with my statement.

But y'know what? If anything here needs to be considered a sin, it should be telling people to "calm down" or "sit down" at a damn concert!!!

Edited by TheWK90
  • Like 1

And another f***ing thing: the guy who said that to me last night had a f***ing camera in his hands half the damn night. So let me guess: he couldn't have a rock n roller ruining his or other people's fancy schmancy pictures. Because everybody knows that you go to concerts to take pictures and not to rock out.
  • Like 1

That's why lately, I've been spending way more money to get close floor seats. So far, it has allowed me to stand freely...which I've loved. :guitar:

That's the way you should look at it. No problem w/ standing, but just get "seats" where when you stand you've considered the majority of others that don't prefer standing throughout the entire show.

Again, Tom Sawyer, fine, the first few songs, fine, the first song or two of the second set, fine, stand. But for three hours? Unreasonable.

Unfortunately there's far too much anti-Golden Rule thinking that has people only concerned about "their rights" and their personal preferences to the extent that all people care about anymore is themselves.

I'm fairly certain that you should sit when most people around you want to sit and you shouldn't bitch when most people around you want to stand. The problem is, sitting is a cancer for the show. It sucks the energy out of the place and makes people around you feel guilty. If a small majority wants to stand, they'll probably be guilted into sitting by people like you.

2nd row you should be ejected for not standing and moving your body. Holy shit that's f*cked up.

• Like 1

2nd row you should be ejected for not standing and moving your body. Holy shit that's f*cked up.

Exactly. BTW, I forgot to mention that even after I was told this, I proceeded to rock out. I just turned the dial from 11 back to 10 is all. :)

Edited by TheWK90
  • Like 1

Exactly. BTW, I forgot to mention that even after I was told this, I proceeded to rock out. I just turned the dial from 11 back to 10 is all. :)

Rush on!

For any floor seats if you don't expect to stand, then you're a fool. LOL

I'm fairly certain that you should sit when most people around you want to sit and you shouldn't bitch when most people around you want to stand. The problem is, sitting is a cancer for the show. It sucks the energy out of the place and makes people around you feel guilty. If a small majority wants to stand, they'll probably be guilted into sitting by people like you.

That's a ridiculous statement. There was plenty of energy in Baltimore, and I had one of the best seats for observing the audience. The entire sections on the 2nd level behind me were sitting for most of the show. The people on the lower levels further away from the stage were all standing on both sides, likely out of necessity, and most of the floor was also standing.

There was plenty of energy, even in the 2nd level.

Anyone that couldn't enjoy a Rush show sitting down needs to be mentally examined.

Agreed, there are places where it's expected you'll stand, and fans should buy their tix accordingly, but to say that sitting sucks the life out of the performance is to do an injustice/disservice to Rush.

Edited by Wingmaster

Not just any floor seats. 2nd ROW! Gotta rock out...otherwise you'll bum out the people around you and possibly the band.

I'm glad I'm not aging like that and I am pretty old. When I had problems with my leg I could not stand for very long, and went to about four rock concerts that year. I didn't feel the need to tell everyone in front of me to sit because I had to. How selfish is that.... When it comes to Rush I'll take the consequences of standing for three hours, I don't care if it hurts, it's Rush. The band is older than I am and look what they do night after night during a tour, I'm sure they feel it, so it's a little wussy for us to complain about just standing there. Or if other people stand, or fist pump or head bang, because some people don't want to, no one is supposed to do it? Huh?

And then there were the times I took my mother to see Manilow and Neil Diamond, there were elderly women standing the whole time, waving their arms and squealing like teenyboppers. LOL, now those are fans.

Again, it comes down to planning. Try asking a 6 or 8 year old girl (daughters) to stand for three hours. As well, I personally need a hip-replacement and don't have health insurance for what would amount to a $35K procedure. So there are days, not that often, but they do occur, where it is literally impossible for me to stand for 3 hours.

If you're sitting up front, expect to stand, that's all there is to it.

What I don't get is when people buy first row seats in the 2nd or 3rd levels and then stand the entire show and then get upset when an entire section, not just one or two people, are inconvenienced simply because they don't prefer to stand ... BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE TO, otherwise and except for a couple/few people standing in the front, to see the show just fine from where they are.

I sat for over 90% of the show in B-more and had a FANTASTIC time!!

I actually wanted to stand more, but you know what, I didn't because I looked behind me and realized that if I did then either A, an entire group of people behind wouldn't be able to see well, or B, that they would then stand too and I figured that since they were ALL sitting that they preferred it that way.

So what did I do, I sulked, rehashed this conversation in my head, pouted, and got PO'd!!!

NOT!!!

No, instead, I sat there in my front row 2nd level seat and had a fan-f'n-tastic time!!! My legs were moving the entire time!

Honestly, how does anyone claim that it's impossible to enjoy a show or that we somehow owe something to the band and that by not standing we violate such idiotic premises!

It's funny, Rush has all these songs that focus and center around the greed and selfishness of people, yet here's an entire thread dedicated to me-first thinking.

Think that thru the next time you or anyone else wants to insist on standing everyone else be damned.

Again, don't get me wrong, there are sections where people should, reasonably, be expected to stand, like the entire floor first and foremost, but after that, that's simply not categorically the case by a long shot.

Edited by Wingmaster

Not just any floor seats. 2nd ROW! Gotta rock out...otherwise you'll bum out the people around you and possibly the band.

Hehehe...

I would expect to stand anywhere on the floor tho, particularly the further back one goes. It's a domino effect there. Actually, it's a domino effect even moreso up top where standing is completely unnecessary. Anywhere that they have stadium (riser) seating, there should be no reason to stand other than as a matter of personal preference.

FWIW tho, over half the arena in B-more was not standing throughout the show or even close. Including the floor section, I'd estimate that between 40 and 45% were tho.