Sitting during Rush concert..A sin??

Manatee30444

Geddycorn here..I went to see Rush last night in Orlando and again was amazed by my favorite band since I was in Junior high..(35 now!) and was in Heaven the whole time.. sooooo excited to hear The Pass!! But...I have seen Rush many, many times throughout the years..and was shocked that everyone was sitting for the concert (other than floor seats!) I was horrified..I have never been to a Rush concert where everyone was sitting! Who can sit while the Holy Trinity is on stage?? The guy and his wife behind me actually tapped me on my shoulder to ask me to sit down..I guess I was rude cause I gave them a dirty look and Rushed on..Is this something new at Rush shows?? Its a Rock concert! I mean honestly I know the band and some of us fans are getting older..but come on! Please tell me this isn't normal? I want to scream, dance, gyrate and make a total ass of myself while they are playing..how do I do that sitting?? ugh..p.s My profile pic is my tattoo..sweet right! =) ..dying to show it off!
  • Like 1

This has come up many times before. There's no rule that says you have to stand to enjoy a gig. I don't have a problem with anyone sitting, standing, dancing, lying down or whatever. If a person enjoys the concert sitting down then fine (I have but usually I stand). At the same time, if I'm sitting I wouldn't tell anyone standing in front of me to sit down. Basically, if you're enjoying a show what do you care what the person next to you is doing [of course, as long as they're not causing a problem]?

Everybody has their own thang.

Personally I prefer to be on the floor but because of a bad back even though I might be up pretty close to the stage there are a number of times throughout the show that I have to sit down for 30 seconds or so just to give my back a break... and there is 1 song during the 2nd set that I sit for just because I'm not as into it as the rest of the show... so it's a good time to reduce the pressure on my back for a few minutes.

I find that when I sit in the back, especially in a dry venue (figgin' Jones Beach) or on a weeknight, people sit. On the floor, everyone stands every time. If people in front of you are standing, you have to stand. If not, and you're not in the front, then it is kinda dick move to stand when no one else around you is. Of course, if you pump everyone else up and remain positive, then you become a legend. There's no real hard and fast rules.

I'm a very Big guy, I usually sit for a couple of songs through out the concert. Last year at The United Center, my brother and I had a whole section on the side of the stage almost to ourselves. 2 other people in the section. I sat down for most of the show, I stood for the Power Windows songs and the Encore. I said to myself just sit and enjoy, no one to obstruct my view. It was Great.

My wife has back problems and has to sit more than she stands. She would love to stand, but can't, all the time. For that reason, AND for the courtesy of others, I didn't get floor seats, this time. But, nobody better tell me to sit down!!!

Sadly, this is not new at all my friend.

I don't consider people sitting a "sin", but I damn sure consider people asking others to sit down a "sin".

This is a rock concert, and people should be allowed to stand if they so please.

I'm of the mindset that if you plan to sit, that's okay...but be aware that you might be sitting behind others who stand.

That's why lately, I've been spending way more money to get close floor seats. So far, it has allowed me to stand freely...which I've loved. :guitar:

• Like 3

I'm of the mindset that if you plan to sit, that's okay...but be aware that you might be sitting behind others who stand.

I'm always on the floor and I always sit. Rarely do I tell the guy in front of me, "down in front!" :D

267615_1753282885916_5040145_n.jpg

Edited by FOH Lights
  • Like 1

Love the feedback! Some great points..Sadly I could never afford the prices for floor seats (4 kids!) some I am always stuck in the stands..but hell at least I am there! I am glad the general consensus agreed that I had a right to continue standing if I so chose..I feel better about my rant.. :P

I prefer to sit because it's more comfortable than standing for 3+ hours and i'm also 6'6"... so I know anyone behind me aint gonna see much. But if I can't see, I stand. :)

The last Rush concert (and this years) was at a general admission venue where you bring your own 'seat' or stand on the grass.

I got VIP seats last year and 10th row seats for another show last year so this time around I dont have very good seats for the show im seeing in a week... I'm afraid im going to be the only one standing and jumping around!!! oh well :P :rush:

Yep. I'll be standing. Better believe it!!!

I love standing at concerts. One of the Cheap Trick shows I went to, we got lawn seats and I was horrified that there was actually an ANNOUNCEMENT made that nobody under pavilion was allowed to stand. So.....I watched this fantastic, loud, kickass rock concert.....with the entire pavilion audience seated the entire time. It was embarrassing to witness. 0_o

I make a fool of myself at shows- and at Rush, I'm SO going to dance, jam, AND do my bad air drumming! Yep. and I have never cared if others around me stand or sit down.

I love seeing Rush in concert, but having to stand on slightly slanted concrete for that long kills my ankles and my back. If people want to give them a standing ovation after every song, great, but I really wish folks would sit down and enjoy the music.

I got VIP seats last year and 10th row seats for another show last year so this time around I dont have very good seats for the show im seeing in a week... I'm afraid im going to be the only one standing and jumping around!!! oh well :P :rush:

Had 2nd row for Manchester, NH, amazing.. didn't fork out VIP prices this time and on Floor further back, but it's all good :)

I'm old-ish (53) and I get floor seats and always stand for Rush. I dont have a problem with folks that are Rush fans but choose to sit or sit for some songs. As other's have said, I dont put up people asking us to sit...isnt happening. Its a rock concert and we're standing.

What I dont like is what happened in NJ, we did VIP and had row 7...was awesome. There were about 8 guys in the row ahead of us that had some "comp" VIP tickets...one guy was into the show, the rest sat there, heads down the whole show...texting and just wishing to be anywhere else than the Prudential Center. WTF! If you dont like the band, dont take the tickets! Sure we did our best to ignore them and rock out...but they were in our field of view. Thankfully they left at intermission.

I tend to sit more if I'm on the upper level. In Phoenix I was on the rail so I had a great view seated. I did stand at various points of the show though. What I couldn't believe was the fact that despite perfect position, I got a drunk a couple seats away who was sitting but leaning forward and carrying on and yelling periodically. Talk about distracting. It wouldn't have been so bad but you could tell he wasn't even paying attention to what was going on except to randomly yell. I mean cmon he was yelling during this.

At both shows I have been at, it seemed that the arena seats had people sitting most of the time, unless a big song comes on which will make people jump out of their seats most of the time, but the floor is always standing. Actually something weird happened at the winnipeg concert for the CA Tour, It seemed like more people stood up for The Big Money than when they first came out for Subdivisions (not to mention The Big Money also got the loudest cheer for the start of a song that night). I don't deny how epic The Big Money is (it's my favorite song) but you would think everyone would be standing for the first song, and it would deplete from there until the closers.

I've been to 7 Rush shows (soon to be 8), and have stood at all but one. Three were floor-level seats in hockey arenas (Hershey '11, Bridgeport '12, Buffalo '12), one was a state fair grandstand (Syracuse '10), and two were lower-level seats in sheds (Darien Lake '07, Saratoga '10). The one where I sat was the S&A 2nd leg show at Saratoga (2008), when a buddy and I were upstairs on the balcony and everyone up there sat. He and I are going to the SPAC show again this time around, in late June, and I intentionally got seats up top again, because he can't stand for long periods of time.

Geddycorn here..I went to see Rush last night in Orlando and again was amazed by my favorite band since I was in Junior high..(35 now!) and was in Heaven the whole time.. sooooo excited to hear The Pass!! But...I have seen Rush many, many times throughout the years..and was shocked that everyone was sitting for the concert (other than floor seats!) I was horrified..I have never been to a Rush concert where everyone was sitting! Who can sit while the Holy Trinity is on stage?? The guy and his wife behind me actually tapped me on my shoulder to ask me to sit down..I guess I was rude cause I gave them a dirty look and Rushed on..Is this something new at Rush shows?? Its a Rock concert! I mean honestly I know the band and some of us fans are getting older..but come on! Please tell me this isn't normal? I want to scream, dance, gyrate and make a total ass of myself while they are playing..how do I do that sitting?? ugh..p.s My profile pic is my tattoo..sweet right! =) ..dying to show it off!

Those things behind you are called seats, they call them that for a reason. If you want to stand, get floor "seats." People mind less down there and it's more understandable.

Also gone are the 1 hour and 15 minute sets that they used to play live when we were all kids, eh.

That's why I bought seats front row this time just above floor level, so that people like you wouldn't force an entire section to stand.

We're not all in our 20s anymore w/ unlimited energy to stand for three hours. As for me, I have knee and hip issues from an accident where some driver hit me on my bicycle.

Try putting yourself in other peoples' shoes for a minute during your self-centered rant.

I'm not trying to be provocative, but honestly, do you think of anyone but yourself?

Edited by Wingmaster

This has come up many times before. There's no rule that says you have to stand to enjoy a gig. I don't have a problem with anyone sitting, standing, dancing, lying down or whatever. If a person enjoys the concert sitting down then fine (I have but usually I stand). At the same time, if I'm sitting I wouldn't tell anyone standing in front of me to sit down. Basically, if you're enjoying a show what do you care what the person next to you is doing [of course, as long as they're not causing a problem]?

I think it does cause a problem when two people up front stand and then the entire section has to stand.

I've been to two shows in this tour thus far, getting ready to hit a third next week. Both of the ones that I went to were very similar.

At the Bristow, VA show there were three people in our section in row 2 (we were row 4) that kept not only standing, but kept switching seats. I was behind them w/ my three kids jockeying everyone around to accommodate my kids being able to see thru the "holes" that they left since three people in their party weren't standing. It was annoying to have to keep moving everyone around in tight seating arrangements to accommodate their muscial chairs. This happened every other song.

I also noticed, on the brief times that they would sit, the rest of the section behind them sat too, entirely, so they were in essence, the three of them, determining when all but an entire section would stand. At one point I asked if they wouldn't mind sitting, they ignored me. I later told them that my kids were having difficulty seeing and asked if they wouldn't mind swapping seats, two rows different, at least for my kids so that they could see their first Rush Show. They continued to rudely ignore me and kept standing for the most part. They got drunker as the show went on. There's a name for people like that.

The second show was similar, there was a couple in front of me and my young son who were standing. I thought it would last just a few songs at the beginning, but halfway thru the first set, unable to see, and after 6 hours of driving to make the show and having worked nearly a full day from early in the morning, I just wanted to relax and enjoy the show. (as it was I drove back after the show too not wanting to stay the night) Anyway, I asked if they wouldn't mind sitting down after a point and they were actually polite and sat down and it didn't seem to hinder their good time. LOL I noticed too that they were the impetus for the entire section immediately behind them having to stand when they did, sitting when they sat.

Again, for the opening few tunes that's fine and expected. Same for the first song or two after the intermission, and even the encore.

But here's my thing, if you're going, you know whether or not you want to stand. How self-centered is it to get tix up front in the first row or first few rows, knowing that you're going to be standing? If you know you're going to be standing the entire time, why not get the back of a section, or at least further back and leave the front seats to fans that actually want to use the seats. 30' in viewing distance is really nothing. That's all it is from the front to back of a section. Again, or just get floor seats where everyone understands that they have no view from the moment you buy the tix.

I guess I just never understand how people can be so self-focused to seemingly not understand why everyone doesn't want to stand for three straight hours, particularly on a week day where many of us have worked on our feet all damn day long and really don't feel like doing so.

The Golden Rule, remember. It used to have meaning in our society.

BTW, I'm a HUGE fan of doing what they do in Europe for both sporting and entertainment events, namely selling "standing places." Spots where people have to stand b/c there are no seats, just bars to lean on. It's a fantastic idea that should be implemented here too. They cost less but also allow people to get tix and stand all they want, eh.

Edited by Wingmaster