Why do you suppose more males than females are Rush fans?

Tom Sawyer

I will suggest that Rush's kid-like sense of humor in concerts ("Three Stooges" intro, , Count Floyd/GUP, inflatable rabbits/Presto Tour, R40/ Signals dog & the Starman backside, Time Machine/Gerson's Haus of Sausage,etc. ) will appeal more to men.

Guys are comfortable being meatheads their whole lives.

Interesting to me, I have often thought of the significance of women in the history of the band.

Honestly, look back around the life of Rush and start noting the women who played a big part. The list gets pretty long!

• Like 2

<p>

Why do females prefer Sammy in VH more than males?

I think it's because women prefer Sammy's subtlety and powerful use of imagery in classic gems like this, most men are too immature to appreciate the nuance.

Van Halen

Uh!

Hey!

I'm all feet up, watchin' TV

Someplace to feast my eyes, oh

Well, I've always tripped on commercials, yeah yeah

This one blew my mind, oh, uh, hey!

(Ooh) Tell me, who ya gonna call when you need that affection?

(Ooh) Ya got to have it quick (Got to have it quick)

(Ooh) Well just a-hang your love line in her direction. Whoa

All you bad, bad boys. Call her up on the spank line. Uh!

Yeah! All you bad, bad boys. Call her up on the spank line. Uh

Whoa! Oh!

Three dollars, first minute (gosh, man!) After that, cost ya four

And she be up for negotiations, mmm hmmm

If you call back for more, oh oh oh ah!

(Ooh) Now who ya gonna call when you need that special

(Special) Little somethin'? Mmm

(Ooh) You can say what you like. It's all confidential. Whoa!

All you bad, bad boys. Call her up on the spank line. Huh!

All you bad, bad boys. Call her up on the spank line. Whoa!

(Guitar Solo)

Hey!

All you bad, bad boys

Make a mind blow!

All you bad, bad boys

Dial 1-900-SPANKED!

All you bad, bad boys. Call her up on the spank line. Uh! Hey!

All you bad, bad boys. Call her up on the spank line. Uh!

All you bad, bad boys. Yeah, it's a spank line

Yeah. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

All you bad (woo!) bad boys. Just, call her up. Ha! Call her up

1-900-SPANKED! (All you bad, bad boys)

1-900-SPANKED! You bad bad bad boys. Just call her up

(All you bad, bad boys)

It's a spank line. Yeah! oh! Ow

1-900-SPANKED

All you bad bad bad...

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

Could this thread be any more sexist? If there are less female fans than male fans, it's certainly not for any of the reasons previously discussed on this thread. Women are not more likely than men to want to be turned on by music, nor less likely than men to be interested in the things Rush writes about. We do not only care about dance music and sexy musicians.
  • Like 3

Assuming all of the male fans are sexist does not help your cause.

Go back and read my post. I did not say that. I am saying that most of the fans who were posting on this thread are being sexist by making unfair and untrue assumptions about women.

• Like 4

Why? Probably because at the time Rush came around rock people just tended to push boys towards heavier or more complex stuff and girls towards flashier or more succinct stuff. Not because a person's gender has anything to do with their taste in music, but because people thought it did, or it should, or at least recommended music as though it did. When I started singing the praises of Rush to my best friend in high school (a girl) she eventually grew curious and wanted to know more. I lent her a CD of 2112 and her mind was blown, she wanted to hear more and thought it was amazing! Her favorite band is Bon Jovi, her favorite solo artist is Billy Joel, and she really loves musical soundtracks. Are any of these very much like Rush? No. Are all three of these usually pushed at girls by music recommendation systems and by larger media sources? Yeah, as far as I know these are outwardly portrayed as very female friendly, if not female centric artists or genres. Yet, nevertheless, my friend really really dug Rush, and not just commercial poppy danceable 80s Rush. She dug the hardcore, nerdy, screeching cat helium vocal version from the mid 70s. Every person is different and sometimes all it takes to break the stereotype is for one brave person to take a listen to something that doesn't usually get recommended to them, and the first step to that is to be the person who recommends things to people that they don't usually get recommended.

A lot of the comments in this thread are pretty sexist. You can't let statistics and stereotypes become the reason for the imbalanced outcomes in this world. Otherwise the problem self-perpetuates.

• Like 5

Assuming all of the male fans are sexist does not help your cause.

Go back and read my post. I did not say that. I am saying that most of the fans who were posting on this thread are being sexist by making unfair and untrue assumptions about women.

Just wanted to mention I love the picture of Alex in your profile pic. Also I agree with your earlier post.

• Like 2

Photo of the men's restroom and the women's restroom at a Rush concert:

http://imgs.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/parenting/2011/06/27/rush_bathrooms.JPG

Saw an identical scene at the Hamilton show on the CA tour - hilarious

That's the scene at about 90 percent of my concert going experience!

We made note of that fact in our review of The Time Machine show...

RUSH The Time Machine-2010-Show Review

• Like 2

A couple ideas- hard rock and heavy metal were in general more man-centric. (Rush has to be included in that genre at least for their early years.)

& The stereotype of the Rush fan is a "nerd or bro" (maybe both?) ........

As of now, Rush is considered a "heritage act" & their whole catalog gets played on radio. It's music for the whole family now.

I think it's dumb to hold onto old insults lobbed at the band or fans. Plenty of music finds new ears and new uses as time goes on.

edit to add- the women's bathroom was full at the Rush show I went to in Northern California. Probably b/c the music scene is very inclusive and diverse there anyways. I get so tired of these stereotypes.

Edited by BigMontanaSKY
  • Like 4

My wife liked Analog Kid when she heard it after lots of other Rush songs but always said Geddy's voice put here off the rest of the stuff.

But her friend, a Japanese lady, loves them. She is grade 8 on the piano and my wife doesn't play any instruments.

Read into what you like but I'd venture it's probably been a marketing or 'getting people's attention' thing. The more popular bands/artists (with either/both sex) tend to be marketed well or get a wave or publicity for some reason (Beatles, Elvis etc) so many get to know about them. And as Rush pointed out in the '..lighted stage...' doc, they didn't do the image thing very well.

• Like 1

It's not sexist to point out reality that for much of their existence, 90% of Rush fans were men.

Fortunately, they picked up more female fans as time went on.

Not what I'm saying. It is probably true that there are more male fans than female fans. What I'm saying is that it's sexist to say the reason is that women only like dance music or whatever.

• Like 2

It's not sexist to point out reality that for much of their existence, 90% of Rush fans were men.

Not what I'm saying. It is probably true that there are more male fans than female fans. What I'm saying is that it's sexist to say the reason is that women only like dance music or whatever.

Yeah, overall -- GENERALIZATION INCOMING -- many women like to feel romanced by male singers. It's a tradition as old as troubadours in Provence.

Ged and Neil emphatically did NOT romance anybody in the vocals.

Instead they sang about evil galactic priests, radio waves, and how we gotta deviate from the norm.

Maybe it would've been different if they hadn't been married, and actively dating. Regardless, their minds were evidently elsewhere.

Yeah, overall -- GENERALIZATION INCOMING -- many women like to feel romanced by male singers. It's a tradition as old as troubadours in Provence.

Instead they sang about evil galactic priests, radio waves, and how we gotta deviate from the norm.

Maybe it would've been different if they hadn't been married, and actively dating. Regardless, their minds were evidently elsewhere.

I doubt that's because of anything inherent about women. As Entre_Perpetuo was saying, it's likely due to gender stereotypes.

• Like 1

And guys don't like to be romanced by singers? What about all of the dudes who gawk anytime a girl is onstage wearing something they find attractive? I just fail to understand your logic. All you're saying is Rush didn't sing many love songs or go with the pop image. To my own knowledge I don't think Nirvana has a massive gender gap between men and women despite not singing many love songs (Smells Like Teen Spirit? no. In Bloom? no. Come As You Are? no. Lithium? no. Heart Shaped Box? yes but it's very dark. All Apologies? no.) and not fitting the pop image (though I could take a point away for the "pop" image of the day deciding to fit Nirvana instead). I've seen plenty of girls rocking Nirvana t-shirts, probably moreso than guys actually.

I think it's definitely about marketing. Nirvana was and continues to be marketed pretty evenly, despite being pretty loud heavy rock and roll with few love songs and not pretty images. Rush has been advertised as a dude fest since at least 2112, and I think it's because whoever was doing their advertising had that mindset that girls wouldn't be interested in a band that wasn't pretty, didn't have danceable beats, and didn't have love songs. It's an old problem, you've got that much right. Dates back years and years and years... but it's really got nothing to do with the biological or psychological differences between boys and girls, just the old external attitudes about gender which are so quickly becoming antiquated. Pretty sure I saw plenty of girls when I went to go see R40. More guys sure, but it wasn't overwhelming. I thin as time has gone on more people have gotten wise to the fact that the old girls like pop and boys like rock divide isn't based in reality as much as expectation, and they've also found that breaking those kinds of expectations is essential if they want to be themselves. Why should boys be any more concerned with Kublai Khan and his pleasure dome than girls? Why should boys have more to learn from a song like Manhattan Project or Mission than girls? Why should boys bang their heads to BU2B any more than girls? There's just no real reason. People get to enjoy what they want regardless. The only thing stopping them from doing that is not finding the things they enjoy, and the only reason that happens is when other people don't recommend things to them that they'll enjoy based on poorly preconceived notions.

• Like 2

And guys don't like to be romanced by singers?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

And guys don't like to be romanced by singers?

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Straw_man

Yeah real clever buddy.