Why do you suppose more males than females are Rush fans?

Tom Sawyer

I think it's for the same reason there are so few female Spinal Tap fans. They've got Armadillos in their trousers. It's really quite frightening. :) Edited by ILSnwdog
  • Like 1

It's not necessarily a male or female thing.

Rush fans - like to think, dissect, understand, look under the surface

non Rush fans - like to not think, dissect or understand, superficial impressions are good enough.

So am I implying that since females are usually not Rush fans and that they're superficial, well they are the ones wearing the makeup and talking about how cute the singer is.

• Like 3

It's not necessarily a male or female thing.

Rush fans - like to think, dissect, understand, look under the surface

non Rush fans - like to not think, dissect or understand, superficial impressions are good enough.

So am I implying that since females are usually not Rush fans and that they're superficial, well they are the ones wearing the makeup and talking about how cute the singer is.

I'm pretty sure I disagree with you but I'm just not sure what the hell your last sentence means. :eh: :P

• Like 1

I am female, and a nerd. Was more of a nerd in high school - my merry band of Rush concert-goers was me and anywhere from 5-8 guys.

I hate dancing. Really, really hate dancing. So a song that does not fit the "has a good beat and you can dance to it" criteria is a plus to me.

I also tired of love songs very early in my music-listening career. There are MORE than enough of those out there and they all have the SAME DAMN THEME. Except maybe when someone snuffs it, like in Bobby Goldsboro's "Honey". Then it's hysterically funny.

Can anyone tell I am not exactly the archetypical female? :LOL:

You sound like a chick that wouldn't mind putting on some hiking boots and a backpack and hiking a trail for a few days!!

:ranton:

I'll tell you why :finbar: . Because Rush has such a male dominated fan base stretching back to the early days, most women are introduced to Rush by their significant others, men who have been fans for a long time. i.e. the University IT guy (now husband), the physics major (ex-fiance), the Doctor of nuclear engineering (first boyfriend), the guy that never went to college but reads a crap load of sci-fi and fantasy books and thinks a Dungeons and Dragons marathon is the perfect way to spend the weekend (first true love). All of these guys that I've dated were Rush fans come to find out, all but one dared to actually introduce them to me. And what song does my nerd of a husband choose? The f-ing Trees, that's what. That was my first taste of Rush.

Guys, if you want to turn your lady into a Rush fan, don't geek out on her, especially if she is a younger blonde from Orange County *ahem*, stay on more neutral ground. When my man finally smartened up two years later, he tried again with "The Spirit of Radio", good decision on his part.

I personally think that BAM! One wrong introductory song and there goes your lady-love, asking you to never play those Canadian nerds ever again, and no, she won't care if it's only three guys making all of that noise, or how fantastic the light show is when you see them live, or how sexy Geddy Lee is when he wiggles his butt on stage :banana: and makes his little duck face.

I imagine all of these guys out there, playing a song like "The Tress", or "By-Tor", getting way too excited to introduce their girls to Rush. I've spoken to males that have admittedly made this mistake and will never do it again. When one of my male Rush friends was asking what songs to introduce his new girl to, I said "Earthshine", he said "No, no, not yet, too heavy". He was really easing her into things. Haha.

Also, I think that females are conditioned to listen to cheesy love songs, annoying pop music, ballads, etc... We don't grow up with anybody thinking we will enjoy songs about living in a Dystopian universe, driving cars, tide pools, etc...

:rantoff:

gotta disagree with this.. if women liked Rush in the first place, why would any man need to introduce them to it..

• Like 1

it's a scientific fact that men are generally better at math/science tests and women are generally better at language tests. that's a big clue right there..

here's what I've noticed in my 42 years..

1. on one end of the spectrum you have intellectual thinkers with no social skills. they're not necessarily smarter but people who approach things with logic and reason. (Mr Spock)

2. on the other end of the spectrum you have people with amazing social skills and emotions but they fail when it comes to complex problem solving and usually "hate math" (Paris Hilton)

most people of course fall somewhere in the middle.. but the first category contains mostly men and the second mostly women.

Rush is a band of men ("boys" as we like to say), men who all fit into my first category.. they're a band that does what ever the hell they want and their music shows it. so who do you think that music will appeal to?? people in the first catagory!

some posts in this thread have basically said just that but in different words (men are smarter, men can't dance, men are nerds, etc)

I think most fans kinda understand why Rush doesn't appeal to MOST women but it's so hard to put into words..

Edited by MMCXII

There have been a lot of interesting perspectives here.

This is what I have gotten from this thread, and some more "personal observation". Any one trait alone, or just a few, would not be enough to turn off so many females, but Rush gets low "female-appeal" in almost every category.

1. Lyrics (Rush big hits are not romantic love songs or relationship songs in general, unless it is a relationship with a car. Also, how many songs explicitly talk about boys or men- a lot- )

2. Lyrics (topics that don't interest a lot of females- technology, science fiction, sociology, Well...at least they don't sing about golf or baseball)

3. Lyrics are often outright nerdy and sometimes even cringeworthy.

3. Music (not easy to dance too because the timing changes throughout the song so much)

4. Music (complex, long, takes several listens to get the hang of)

5. Music (does not fit into an easy to define category)

6. Band (Lets be frank here, Geddy's looks really did not help. Alex is hot, but his looks were not exploited in this regard)

7. Band appearance (clothes and hair have "missed the cool target" on numerous occasions)

8. Band appearance (the 1980s and 1990s tongue in cheek stage sets have been *erm*- what is with that damn rabbit?)

9. Voice (Geddy's voice is not traditionally beautiful)

10. Fan base (Ya bunch of nerdy guys! All too shy to ask the girls to dance or go to the Rush concert in the first place!)

11. Fan base (Ya bunch of overexcited nerdy guys- pushing Rush on teh girls 'till the girls thinks you likes Rush more than you likes them!)

• Like 1

Conformity is a big deal with women for some reason, they are 'social' creatures... the willingness to defy typical fashion sense is far less common among the fairer sex.

Rush has always been about being on the outside, looking in. For those bound within social circles, Rush is an anathema.

• Like 2

This is what I have gotten from this thread, and some more "personal observation". Any one trait alone, or just a few, would not be enough to turn off so many females, but Rush gets low "female-appeal" in almost every category.

1. Lyrics (Rush big hits are not romantic love songs or relationship songs in general, unless it is a relationship with a car. Also, how many songs explicitly talk about boys or men- a lot- )

2. Lyrics (topics that don't interest a lot of females- technology, science fiction, sociology, Well...at least they don't sing about golf or baseball)

3. Music (not easy to dance too because the timing changes throughout the song so much)

6. Band (Lets be frank here, Geddy's looks really did not help. Alex is hot, but his looks were not exploited in this regard)

7. Band appearance (clothes and hair have "missed the cool target" on numerous occasions)

8. Band appearance (the 1980s and 1990s tongue in cheek stage sets have been *erm*- what is with that damn rabbit?)

10. Fan base (Ya bunch of nerdy guys! All too shy to ask the girls to dance or go to the Rush concert in the first place!)

11. Fan base (Ya bunch of overexcited nerdy guys- pushing Rush on teh girls 'till the girls thinks you likes Rush more than you likes them!)

Breath taking...

Conformity is a big deal with women for some reason, they are 'social' creatures... the willingness to defy typical fashion sense is far less common among the fairer sex.

Rush has always been about being on the outside, looking in. For those bound within social circles, Rush is an anathema.

oooooo.... good one! I need to add this to the list... you have brought up another great point!

Most girls seem to like some type of music because of the whole "music/image" social group it is associated with. I mean, how else can one explain the female dominated popularity of modern country "music", which is so muscially unadventurous, bland and full of lyrical cliche-isms. It is the image, not the music

edit to add,- oops, sorry, that came out sort of harsh and negative... apologies to any modern country music fans out there :hi: There are some good tunes, and they are fun.

Edited by Animate
  • Like 2

Well, pretty much all of things you've listed happen to be pluses in my book. I guess that explains why I love this band, even though I have two X-chromosomes.

• Like 3

Men generally lean towards agressive ROCK.

Women generally dig love songs, and/or music you can dance to, and/or bands composed of pretty boys... none of those things are very Rush. That's Duran Duran. ; )

• Like 1

Photo of the men's restroom and the women's restroom at a Rush concert:

http://imgs.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/parenting/2011/06/27/rush_bathrooms.JPG

Saw an identical scene at the Hamilton show on the CA tour - hilarious

I think the number one reason is *most* females prefer to be "excited" by lyrics, just look at evidence mostly in pop, but also rock. Aerosmith for example, Tyler is very "suggestive".

It all started with "swooning crooners" like Frank Sinatra. He excited the females. How about Elvis? Wow?

Then the Beatles weren't about the body languange as much as the lyrics. Mick jagger and the Stones... same thing very suggestive.

I think the females like a little (or maybe even a lot) of naughty with their music. :huh:

I have loved Rush since I was a five year old little girl. I loved the lyrics and I was blown away by the imaginative expressive stories in their music.
  • Like 2

Well, pretty much all of things you've listed happen to be pluses in my book. I guess that explains why I love this band, even though I have two X-chromosomes.

I agree.
  • Like 1

Men generally lean towards agressive ROCK.

Women generally dig love songs, and/or music you can dance to, and/or bands composed of pretty boys... none of those things are very Rush. That's Duran Duran. ; )

Pretty boys or bad boys; add Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Poison, GnR, etc.

http://imgs.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/parenting/2011/06/27/rush_bathrooms.JPG

That's the scene at about 90 percent of my concert going experience!

• Like 1

Ditto for me on TM in Ridgefield, WA (Portland area). My wife was blown away.

• Like 1

its probably as simple as geddy was considered butt ugly by most females i knew when rush was in their hey day and by hey day i am talking permanent waves to grace under pressure. geddy was often described as looking like a witch. and one with bad acne at that.

Lol

And i came here to say its because women are more intelligent

:ranton:

I'll tell you why :finbar: . Because Rush has such a male dominated fan base stretching back to the early days, most women are introduced to Rush by their significant others, men who have been fans for a long time. i.e. the University IT guy (now husband), the physics major (ex-fiance), the Doctor of nuclear engineering (first boyfriend), the guy that never went to college but reads a crap load of sci-fi and fantasy books and thinks a Dungeons and Dragons marathon is the perfect way to spend the weekend (first true love). All of these guys that I've dated were Rush fans come to find out, all but one dared to actually introduce them to me. And what song does my nerd of a husband choose? The f-ing Trees, that's what. That was my first taste of Rush.

Guys, if you want to turn your lady into a Rush fan, don't geek out on her, especially if she is a younger blonde from Orange County *ahem*, stay on more neutral ground. When my man finally smartened up two years later, he tried again with "The Spirit of Radio", good decision on his part.

I personally think that BAM! One wrong introductory song and there goes your lady-love, asking you to never play those Canadian nerds ever again, and no, she won't care if it's only three guys making all of that noise, or how fantastic the light show is when you see them live, or how sexy Geddy Lee is when he wiggles his butt on stage :banana: and makes his little duck face.

I imagine all of these guys out there, playing a song like "The Tress", or "By-Tor", getting way too excited to introduce their girls to Rush. I've spoken to males that have admittedly made this mistake and will never do it again. When one of my male Rush friends was asking what songs to introduce his new girl to, I said "Earthshine", he said "No, no, not yet, too heavy". He was really easing her into things. Haha.

Also, I think that females are conditioned to listen to cheesy love songs, annoying pop music, ballads, etc... We don't grow up with anybody thinking we will enjoy songs about living in a Dystopian universe, driving cars, tide pools, etc...

:rantoff:

my Rush introduction was to "The Trees", my brother's friend read me and his little brother the lyrics, and then wailed it out on a Marshall amp. I was fascinated. I was also five. I have been with these guys for a life time and I am so grateful. They opened up my curiosity and imagination at a very young age.
  • Like 1

Men typically are less likely to be overtly social than women. Women are culturally more likely to have strong social circles, where the pressure is to fit in, rather than risk being outcast. Men are typically much more content to play the lone wolf; almost desiring the outcast status in many cases. Men romanticize individualism and solitary roguishness.

Rush is a band that played to the outcasts in society. Rush spoke to the strength of ego and soothed the loneliness that is symptomatic an inner-focused life. Rush said it was cool to stand out, to cut against the culture, and to embrace your nerdy passions- even when that leaves you standing alone.

And that's why Rush hasn't been seen as "cool" until recently. They bucked trends, they subverted expectations. To people with strong, entangled social connections; that's almost anathema. Of course, anyone can be more or less social than anyone else as an individual, but in terms of social trends I think the bias follows gender more than incidentally.

ETA:

lol... I didn't realize I posted in this thread 8 years ago. I said almost the same thing then. Even used some of the same keywords. Damn, I'm predictable.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 2

If Rush had done a Styx ‘Babe’ type song then women would have fallen at their feet and all the blokes would be tossing their copies of 2112.

I was listening to an interview with legendary American-born Canadian singer-songwriter Marc Jordan.

Marc's father Charles Jordan (a professional classical singer in Montreal, Toronto and in New York) said this to him.

"If you want to sing a lyric, listen to how women sing lyrics. They sing lyrics different than men do. Women connect with words in a different way".

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1