White City - A Novel

Mara

Mystifies me as to why this little gem of Pete Townshend's gets little respect. It's not even in print anymore, for crying out loud.

Give Blood and Face The Face did get a fair amount of airplay, true. But this album is stellar from start to finish. The title track (co-written by David Gilmour and he also played guitar on it) has an amazing intro and main riff. The melody sparkles as does the bass track.

Other treasures are Hiding Out, Brilliant Blues, the soulful Secondhand Love. . . . I find it odd that WCAN apparently has not stood the fans' test of time. IMO, it's Pete's best solo effort.

Edited by Mara
  • Like 1

Mystifies me as to why this little gem of Pete Townshend's gets little respect. It's not even in print anymore, for crying out loud.

Give Blood and Face The Face did get a fair amount of airplay, true. But this album is stellar from start to finish. The title track (co-written by David Gilmour and he also played guitar on it) has an amazing intro and main riff. The melody sparkles as does the bass track.

Other treasures are Hiding Out, Brilliant Blues, the soulful Secondhand Love. . . . I find it odd that WCAN apparently has not stood the fans' test of time. IMO, it's Pete's best solo effort.

Are you kidding me?

We haven't talked or typed to each other in a long time but your amazing thread caught my eye.

"White City" is one of the greatest albums in the WORLD!

I love "Empty Glass" and "Chinese Eyes" equally to "White City." A perfect album trilogy in my mind.

Simon Phillips is a MONSTER!

"Give Blood" is absolutely one of the greatest songs on the planet.

I remember reading Modern Drummer back in 1985. It was the Poll Awards magazine. Simon Phillips won BEST DRUM TRACK ON A SINGLE Award.

Of course it was GIVE BLOOD!

I'm sure Neil won BEST PROG DRUMMER for "Power Windows." Just guessing.

Anyway, I'm sure you know that I love Pete's solo albums just as much as all of The Who stuff.

I even love "Iron Man" and "Psychoderelict." The man is a GENIUS.

When I first started dating my wife 17 years ago I took her to the Fillmore in San Francisco.

It was an Evening With Pete Townshend.

Just him, a keyboard player and his phone book of song lyrics.

It was one of the greatest shows I have ever seen. Even Wendy was blown away.

"Slit Skirts" Rules!

A "White City" Thread on the Rush Forum?

It gets my MUSIC THREAD OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!

Cheers!

• Like 1

I still have my "White City" VHS tape! It's like a mini movie of the album. It's incredible.

I can't believe no one will put this video on DVD or BLU-RAY!

COME ON PETE!! GET EEL PIE RECORDS TO RELEASE IT!!!

The movie took a couple of watches to really "get" it. But yeah, it's a great companion piece to the album.

:goodone: It is solo Pete Townshend at his musical and lyrical genius best, that's for sure.