Praise Of The Praiseworthy

Tony R

It seems to me that praise from one's peers should be far more satisfying than praise from anyone else.

Does anyone know of any profession that values public approval over peer approval? Politicians don't count.....

You are missing the point. You'd have to be mad to not like being praised by other people who are skilled in your speciality, but the point is that Peart goes to great pains to say that he gets creeped out if fans praise him for his drumming. Basically Peart is quite happy to approach his heroes unsolicited or if he recognises you as a musician, artist or author he is ok with your praise but the rest of us are odd, stalker-like needy people who need to be kept at arms length.

Seriously, some of you here are like battered wives.

I didn't miss the point at all. In his speech at the ceremony, in no way whatsoever did he disrespect any Rush fans. IMO, you missed Neil's point completely.

Did it occur to you that they may have decided that Geddy was going to thank all the fans? That Neil would say something about their peers, Geddy would say something about their fans, and Alex would do something funny? It's quite possible, yes?

I do know that you are exaggerrating what Neil Peart has said about fans. If he gets "creeped out" by anything, it's by fans who go to great pains to worship him like a god. I totally support Neil's aversion for obnoxious fans who worship the ground he walks on. I also support his aversion for dikk fans who go to great pains to misinterpret and critique everything he does.

Says the half wit who thought this was real.

Peart's a snob, get over it.

That's a pretty low way of trying to dismiss an argument. PM may have had a brain fart in that other thread (As we all sometimes do.) but he is far from being a "half wit".

You're correct, I am sorry.

I should have said he has zero wit.

Then I guess I should have called you a f*cking ass*hole. ;)

Don't take Tony too seriously. He's British. :P

It seems to me that praise from one's peers should be far more satisfying than praise from anyone else.

Does anyone know of any profession that values public approval over peer approval? Politicians don't count.....

You are missing the point. You'd have to be mad to not like being praised by other people who are skilled in your speciality, but the point is that Peart goes to great pains to say that he gets creeped out if fans praise him for his drumming. Basically Peart is quite happy to approach his heroes unsolicited or if he recognises you as a musician, artist or author he is ok with your praise but the rest of us are odd, stalker-like needy people who need to be kept at arms length.

I didn't miss the point at all. In his speech at the ceremony, in no way whatsoever did he disrespect any Rush fans. IMO, you missed Neil's point completely.

Did it occur to you that they may have decided that Geddy was going to thank all the fans? That Neil would say something about their peers, Geddy would say something about their fans, and Alex would do something funny? It's quite possible, yes?

I do know that you are exaggerrating what Neil Peart has said about fans. If he gets "creeped out" by anything, it's by fans who go to great pains to worship him like a god. I totally support Neil's aversion for obnoxious fans who worship the ground he walks on. I also support his aversion for dikk fans who go to great pains to misinterpret and critique everything he does.

That's a pretty low way of trying to dismiss an argument. PM may have had a brain fart in that other thread (As we all sometimes do.) but he is far from being a "half wit".

And he is way too narcissistic to attempt arguing with!

Thath eathy for you to thay.

Thath eathy for you to thay.

Touche, I guess?

Me never take peoples seriously.....no need to start now..... :7up:

Tony's op was right on the money. If You are Famous , Neil has the time of day for you, if Not...........

You have some inside knowledge of Peart's interactions with "famous people"?

Your post is in no way accurate. There is no black and white like that with him.

"Ok, you're famous. Cool. I'll let you into my life and talk to you all day about Rush, because, er, you're famous and so am I so we can relate. Let's go riding my famous friend"

He has made time for strangers that touched him with a letter, for random people whom he interacts with as "just a guy", and yes he has some musician friends and a couple hollywood friends.

But if you look hard enough you can definitely find the negativity in Neil's speech and find a reason to criticize it...and there are those that always look real hard for that stuff!

Haters be hatin' and this thread will be 10 pages of "Neil's a dick because..." by the same ones that have always said it. Going out on a limb and calling it now...crazy as it sounds.

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone
  • Like 1

I think both sides of this debate are overreacting!

I think that you are overreacting to our overreacting! :P

You think so? You're mistaken!

Overreacting for me would comprise several more paragraphs ;) :LOL:

I think both sides of this debate are overreacting!

I think that you are overreacting to our overreacting! :P

You think so? You're mistaken!

Overreacting for me would comprise several more paragraphs ;) :LOL:

An exclamation mark is enough for me! :P :LOL:

I don't know man, it sounds like you're not over it either. What if he is exactly the snob that you think he is? So what? Does that making his drumming less incredible? Would that make you stop listening to and buying Rush albums, seeing their shows, posting on here, etc.? It's all a big, fat f***ing "so what".

• Like 2

I don't know man, it sounds like you're not over it either. What if he is exactly the snob that you think he is? So what? Does that making his drumming less incredible? Would that make you stop listening to and buying Rush albums, seeing their shows, posting on here, etc.? It's all a big, fat f***ing "so what".

Blah, blah, blah!

Blah, blah, blah!

Well this brings you full circle right back to your original post, o nitpicker of the nitpicking. :LOL:

Tony's op was right on the money. If You are Famous , Neil has the time of day for you, if Not...........

You have some inside knowledge of Peart's interactions with "famous people"?

Your post is in no way accurate. There is no black and white like that with him.

"Ok, you're famous. Cool. I'll let you into my life and talk to you all day about Rush, because, er, you're famous and so am I so we can relate. Let's go riding my famous friend"

He has made time for strangers that touched him with a letter, for random people whom he interacts with as "just a guy", and yes he has some musician friends and a couple hollywood friends.

But if you look hard enough you can definitely find the negativity in Neil's speech and find a reason to criticize it...and there are those that always look real hard for that stuff!

Haters be hatin' and this thread will be 10 pages of "Neil's a dick because..." by the same ones that have always said it. Going out on a limb and calling it now...crazy as it sounds.

Read his books or watch the movie , look how much he cringes in the movie when talking about people praising him

He does not like when people Gush over him, but it's ok when someone like Grohl or Hawkins or Portnoy do it, right ?

He makes time for a stranger that wrote him a letter ? I think that is very cool and more people should do it, but it's not a Face to Face thing , which unless you are Famous , you won't get. The whole "Regular Guy that goes to the office " bit is old now . It's great that he is Nice to people in a dinner that don't know who he is , how about trying that to someone that has supported you and your music for 30 something years? I am not saying he has to invite you to dinner at his house , but don't run to your bus and have Mike tell you to leave . I am no hater and i am not calling him a Dick , you can have an opinon and still respect the guy, which i do. I did not find negativity in his speech , i am just responding to Tony's op . Rush Sheep kill me everytime , nobody understands Neil ! Give Neil a break ! Like it will have an effect on Their life , get over it, Neil does Not care

• Like 1

get over it, Neil does Not care

This is true, and neither do I.

I love his drumming and lyrics, and enjoy some of his writings - but if I ever saw him in person I would walk right past him.

Like he cares!!!!!

Blah, blah, blah!

Wank. Great comeback

I love his drumming and lyrics, and enjoy some of his writings - but if I ever saw him in person I would walk right past him.

Like he cares!!!!!

Of course he cares. He hates being approached by his fans, which is why I would respect his wishes and walk right past him.

I certainly wouldn't feel the need to blather over him.

So would i. I started feeling that way when i read an interview with him in 1983 , then i found out how much he hates being Famous. I think the only one i would say hi to would be Al .

this is the dumbest damn debate I've ever seen

You betchya!

http://bostonherald.com/sites/default/files/styles/default/public/media/2008/10/03/8ec25a52b2_ltpPalinWink100308.jpg

:LOL:

This has got to be the most inane 'Neil is a dick' thread I may ever have seen. Tony gets the Scraping The Bottom Of The Barrel Thread of 2013 for this.

a/k/a Prize of the Notworthy!

:LMAO:

Edited by Lerxster