ABBA vs Bee Gees

Lerxster

ABBA vs Bee Gees  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who's music do you prefer?

• ABBA
    • Bee Gees

Got an idea in the bathroom, as I often do. ABBA and the Bee Gees have a lot of similarities, overall. With the recent AABA thread, and given the Bee Gees inducted ABBA in the RRHOF, whose music do you prefer? How deep is your love? The winner takes it all!

Vote!

Seriously though, I do enjoy the occasional Bee Gees tune. As far as disco goes, which I do have an occasional sentimental nostalgic soft spot for, The Bee Gees are the best I've heard. It's not music I take very seriously, but it's an occasional fun divergence.

It's not music I take very seriously, but it's an occasional fun divergence.

Someone call the pompous police!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you smoking a pipe and stroking your beard while you're typing this waffle?

Ok, sorry for the appearance of pomposity, etc., but just a reality check here...

We ARE on a website about the hard rock group RUSH, right? Correct me if I'm wrong as I may have otherwise gone insane. And you're defending Abba and The Bee Gees as some kind of great musical accomplishment... on a RUSH website, right?

Again, if I'm wrong about any of that, please correct me, and my apologies. :unsure:

Someone call the pompous police!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you smoking a pipe and stroking your beard while you're typing this waffle?

Ok, sorry for the appearance of pomposity, etc., but just a reality check here...

We ARE on a website about the hard rock group RUSH, right? Correct me if I'm wrong as I may have otherwise gone insane. And you're defending Abba and The Bee Gees as some kind of great musical accomplishment... on a RUSH website, right?

Again, if I'm wrong about any of that, please correct me, and my apologies. :unsure:

Yes, and this a sub forum for OTHER bands, of all genres! If we all listened to nothing but prog we'd all end up like....you. Why don't you head off to the Rush sub forum and piss all over VT, like a good boy. :chickendance:

• Like 1

And the Bee Gees were superb songwriters. Among the very best.

• Like 1

Yes, and this a sub forum for OTHER bands, of all genres! If we all listened to nothing but prog we'd all end up like....you. Why don't you head off to the Rush sub forum and piss all over VT, like a good boy. :chickendance:

I may take you up on that! :P

The Bee Gees I actually kind of like. I have their first album from 1967 that was long before disco. It's poppy, but it's pretty good. And their big disco hits I find enjoyable when I hear them. I would say I would never go out of my way to listen to those songs, but that's not true. I did buy the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack a couple of years ago at a yard sale for a dollar. I even listened to most of it once, and in the right context I might put it on again sometime this decade. It's fun music. My wife can't stand The Bee Gees disco stuff, but then again she doesn't like anything high pitched sounding... like Rush... :unsure:

This surely *must* be a wind-up from our beloved Goobs, any half-wit knows both groups were amazing songwriters (not to mention exceptional productions) however loathe to admit it. I say have a rant if you feel the need, and just leave the bs bait well alone, waste of time.

I really don't get how The Bee Gees or Abba were great songwriters. It just sounds like fluffy disco pop music to me. Unless great songwriting = very popular and commercially successful, I'm not getting it. They were decent songwriters for the kind of music it was I guess. It's kind of like saying an opera has beautiful lyrics - it may have, but all I hear is piercing shrieking. The same goes for disco - the lyrics might be well written, but it's couched in superficial pop music much more suited for dancing than listening IMHO.

Contrast the songwriting of both these groups and Rush and the enormous gap is apparent... unless of course you are talking popularity and commercial success, in which case both groups definitely had Rush beat.

Edited by rushgoober

Bee Gees by a mile. Abba are Tarts

They're both incredibly talented artists. The Bee Gee's should be right up your alley because of their flower child phase. BTW this is the music of the spheres forum...you know, other music besides RUSH?

I can't believe you doubt the music genuis of the Bee Gee's or ABBA. It shows an incredible lack of perspective, which is weird considering all the critical analysis you provide on some of the greatest music groups of the last 45 years.

No wait I'm not suprised. For you, listening to Headlong Flight was a chore when it first came out (I will never let you forget that). You're a self proclaimed big time RUSH fan and you actually said that about the most kick ass song from RUSH. So your opinions about ABBA and Bee Gee's need to go in the circular file.

HHHHEEEEELLLLOOOO McFly!!!! :bitchslap:

:facepalm:

Agreed, it's a ridiculous poll. What's next - Poll: Crap or Crapola? I like crapola cause it's got the ola at the end of it - that's kinda cool. :P

Ridiculous poll? No, a ridiculous poll would be..

Q- Which is more annoying:

A. Rushgoober talking about Vapor Trails

B. Rushgoober talking about anything else

:LOL:

Goober is a prog snob, not a pure music snob mind you, his listening parameters are a bit too narrow to achieve that level of awfulness. He's also very good at trolling, thinly disguised as disdain and disgust. He doesn't fool me though, oh no. I'm on the whiskey.. :D-13: :fury:

:whipgirl:

:hockeygoon: