Rush Vinyl Collection...the Normal and the Abnormal

Kingdirk

Just for fun...one of the abnormal releases as described in the forum title. See...I have class. I even collect classical music! :D

http://i.imgur.com/8slBg5k.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/il6haMK.jpg?2

Do you have the Rush Lullaby album also?

• Like 1

Just for fun...one of the abnormal releases as described in the forum title. See...I have class. I even collect classical music! :D

I've got this bad boy on CD.

I just can't get into the orchestra versions, and I really like different takes on Rush. They just took out too much of the guts and added too much *fluff*, i don't know how to express it well.

Would rather listen to the Rush lullabies, but don't think they have them on vinyl ;)

http://www.rockabyeb....com/rush.html/

(perfect for that next baby shower!)

Edited by Animate

I just can't get into the orchestra versions, and I really like different takes on Rush. They just took out too much of the guts and added too much *fluff*, i don't know how to express it well.

Would rather listen to the Rush lullabies, but don't think they have them on vinyl ;)

Oh...I strongly agree. They actually have this album online which you can listen to and despite the fact that they are playing Rush, it started to get a little...meeeelllloooowww. And not to mention...its symphony. I love and appreciate the work of symphonic artists and composers...I mean look at Bugs Bunny! :P But I went to see the local symphony do the James Bond themes and I was disappointed. Like those songs, Rush is not scored for symphonic arrangements. Not a criticism...just fact.

However, when I saw the album, I had to grab it. :7up:

• Like 1

I've got this bad boy on CD.

So Do I. I love this, but I still haven't decided if I need a vinyl copy.

kingdirk

Wow...was it an interview recording with Neil, or just a feature on drummers? You're right...radio was so different. That's why these releases are just so cool. Snapshots. I just received one yesterday called Scott Muni's World of Rock (from 89 I think) in which Geddy actually co-hosts. Four hours long (4 LPs) with banter, commercials, and a tonne of music from Rush, Led Zep, Stones, etc...

I prefer the ones that Rush are featured in as well, but I've found myself taking a good hard look at some other keys recordings of the past as well. There is some fantastic material out there...and to think, these were sent out to stations as one time promos...play them once and get rid of them. the fact that these bits of history are still around is simply amazing.

The Fans: Your Role In Rock was the theme. Billy Squier, Pete Townshend, Ian Hunter. I forget who else. Quite the historical document. If i'm honest though, I just listened to the side with Neil. The '80s seemed to be the decade of syndication with this kind of stuff.

Now that you mention it, i may have a drummer's special with Neil around here somewhere. I've at least heard of one.

Thanks ytrush and kingdirk! The countdown single with shuttle- yes that does make sense.

How do you categorize the vinyl of ABC1974?

I have two views on ABC 1974:

1) The release on vinyl is top notch. The sound is excellent. The vinyl packaging is fantastic. The historical representation of the concert is great. For this reason, I probably should have added it to the photos I took above.

2) Here's my other view. This is a bootleg. Why? Well, it wasn't released by Anthem or Mercury or Roadrunner...but at the same time, no one from the band or its representatives have opposed the release (it was sold on Amazon, for Pete's sake!). The other reason why I would consider it a bootleg is that the exact same material from that concert is avaialble on the bootleg Fifth Order of the Angels (among other substandard recordings).

I have two copies of this album...one the original black vinyl, the other the brown and oranges Records Store Day 2013 Euro limited release. Overall, these are fantastic and I'm thrilled to have them in my collection, however, when it comes time to share the covers of the boots I have, they will be featured in that pile.

I'm avoiding this because of the rumor that these recordings were from an MP3 source. Otherwise, I'd be all in. Until I can get a defintive answer, I'm holding off.

I already have multiple copies of this on bootleg vinyl and CD from non-MP3 sources. At least one of them is a pre-radio broadcast. The ABC pressing have much better art though. I just don't like the idea of buying MP3s. Never have.

But the history of this recording is obvious.

kingdirk

Wow...was it an interview recording with Neil, or just a feature on drummers? You're right...radio was so different. That's why these releases are just so cool. Snapshots. I just received one yesterday called Scott Muni's World of Rock (from 89 I think) in which Geddy actually co-hosts. Four hours long (4 LPs) with banter, commercials, and a tonne of music from Rush, Led Zep, Stones, etc...

I prefer the ones that Rush are featured in as well, but I've found myself taking a good hard look at some other keys recordings of the past as well. There is some fantastic material out there...and to think, these were sent out to stations as one time promos...play them once and get rid of them. the fact that these bits of history are still around is simply amazing.

The Fans: Your Role In Rock was the theme. Billy Squier, Pete Townshend, Ian Hunter. I forget who else. Quite the historical document. If i'm honest though, I just listened to the side with Neil. The '80s seemed to be the decade of syndication with this kind of stuff.

Now that you mention it, i may have a drummer's special with Neil around here somewhere. I've at least heard of one.

Thanks ytrush and kingdirk! The countdown single with shuttle- yes that does make sense.

How do you categorize the vinyl of ABC1974?

I have two views on ABC 1974:

1) The release on vinyl is top notch. The sound is excellent. The vinyl packaging is fantastic. The historical representation of the concert is great. For this reason, I probably should have added it to the photos I took above.

2) Here's my other view. This is a bootleg. Why? Well, it wasn't released by Anthem or Mercury or Roadrunner...but at the same time, no one from the band or its representatives have opposed the release (it was sold on Amazon, for Pete's sake!). The other reason why I would consider it a bootleg is that the exact same material from that concert is avaialble on the bootleg Fifth Order of the Angels (among other substandard recordings).

I have two copies of this album...one the original black vinyl, the other the brown and oranges Records Store Day 2013 Euro limited release. Overall, these are fantastic and I'm thrilled to have them in my collection, however, when it comes time to share the covers of the boots I have, they will be featured in that pile.

I'm avoiding this because of the rumor that these recordings were from an MP3 source. Otherwise, I'd be all in. Until I can get a defintive answer, I'm holding off.

I already have multiple copies of this on bootleg vinyl and CD from non-MP3 sources. At least one of them is a pre-radio broadcast. The ABC pressing have much better art though. I just don't like the idea of buying MP3s. Never have.

But the history of this recording is obvious.

I'm not sure what the actual source was. It very well could have been MP3. There are so many versions of this concert on CD, LP, MP3...it's almost comical how much this show was documented. For years, you couldn't find anything of worth documenting the Cleveland show (yeah...audience recordings, but some were REALLY bad)...all of a sudden, we have Moon Over Cleveland, Fifth Order, ABC 1974, etc...

I mean...I think its great that people are "valuing" the early start for Rush. As a fan and a collector, I'm thrilled by all of this material (I agree about ABC 1974...the packaging is really sharp) but if the guys really valued that recording, do you think they would have released something official to share with the fans? Likely. There's a reason they didn't. I can't remember where I read it, but I don't think they were proud of those days...musically that is. As exacting professionals, nothing short of acoustic perfection would be good enough. I think they even alluded to that in the documentary. They understand how they got to where they are, and they understand how important that was, but over 40 years, their music has evolved and developed into the fantastic stuff we listen to today. Fans love the history right from the beginning...the artists though love to evolve. That's just the paradigm.

Right or wrong...just my thoughts.

While I'm in the throws of trying to get some pictures of the odds and sods I have in my collections posted to this forum, I thought that I would pose a couple of questions to the readers of this posting:

1) What do you consider to be your most valuable piece of Rush vinyl? Is it a 45, promotional copy, strange pressing...or perhaps its something in your collection that holds sentimental value, rather than monetary value?

2) Aside from the Moon single and 1st Moon pressing of the self-titled album, what are your vinyl "grails"? What have you been on the lookout for? What have you come across that you had to pass up for one reason or another?

I'd love to see what some of the answers would be. If you have pictures, share them.

I'd have to say my sealed The Pass CD Single with a When You Play It Say It sticker on it that Atlantic kept up with for 1.5 years and also my RUSH N' Roulette record are the gems of my collection.

I'd have to say my sealed The Pass CD Single with a When You Play It Say It sticker on it that Atlantic kept up with for 1.5 years and also my RUSH N' Roulette record are the gems of my collection.

Very nice! I love it..."When You Play It, Say It!". Great stuff. Like you, my Rush n' Roulette copy is certainly one of my jewels as well.

Very nice! I love it..."When You Play It, Say It!". Great stuff. Like you, my Rush n' Roulette copy is certainly one of my jewels as well.

That was a push to try and get Radio Station to actually promote what they played but then it got to be to expensive and they cut it out. Great little gem.

That was a push to try and get Radio Station to actually promote what they played but then it got to be to expensive and they cut it out. Great little gem.

You have to love stories like that.

Oh...I strongly agree. They actually have this album online which you can listen to and despite the fact that they are playing Rush, it started to get a little...meeeelllloooowww. And not to mention...its symphony. I love and appreciate the work of symphonic artists and composers...I mean look at Bugs Bunny! :P But I went to see the local symphony do the James Bond themes and I was disappointed. Like those songs, Rush is not scored for symphonic arrangements. Not a criticism...just fact.

However, when I saw the album, I had to grab it. :7up:

Symphonic music can be ballsier then what they did, they just took the safe route and "musaked" into "Elevator Rush".

Totally makes sense about needing it for collection completion!

I am looking forward to seeing the Rush singles collections :) There are a lot on Ebay all the time. It would be neat to learn how many were put out, and to know which ones are rare, common, coveted, etc etc.

I've given some thought to what I might consider to be my most valuable Rush vinyl collectibles and after posting the question here, even I'm having a tough time determining what my "most collectibles" might be. I suppose one could consider the "hunt"...ie. what did you have to do to get that album/single? Does it have to be scarce or rare? Was it issued in limited numbers? Is there something about that piece in particular that makes it stand out? I guess the answer is objective.

My entire collection is my pride and joy (children aside...but I don't own them...well... :eyeroll: ) but if I had to pick the ones I would take if a fire burned down my place, it would be these:

1) Mint sealed copy of Vapor Trails (I paid so much for it that if I recovered it, I might be able to sell it and pay for a new place! Exageration of course, but it did cost me a small fortune)

2) Rush N' Roulette 12" promo - my copy is as close to perfect as a disc with this amount age could have...it is just so cool!

3) Promo copy of Cinderella Man/Farewell To Kings on Anthem - almost impossible to find and when I did, I broke the bank. I love the song and needed this in my collection

4) Pinktop - This is a bootleg concert of the Pinkpop Festival in Holland 1979. There were only 500 of these ever made...I'd like to keep mine intact.

5) Moving Pictures personalized and autographed by Lerxst, Pratt, and Dirk - this is perhaps my own personal sentimental favorite. I haven't played the album since I sealed it up. I will be buried with this.

I seriously could keep going...there is just so much I can list.

Alright...its been a couple of days since I posted any pics here so I'm caving and sharing one of my bootlegs with you. You may have seen this before...you may not have. If not, here is a really cool double disk called Sailing Into Destiny. I love the artwork on this album...I could decypher that cover image all day long. And check out the track listing! Awesome stuff. I have this lined up to play this Saturday when the house is empty! More to come!

http://i.imgur.com/rGYcXcM.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/SIJXIaa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZsQW6FN.jpg?2

I'm going to need some help on this one. Not only does it not have a label, its a bootleg, AND its a 45.

OK...so a couple of things. I found this on eBay and to me, it was so obscure, I had to bid on it. Lo and behold, I won. So it arrived yesterday and I have to admit, it is a truly wonderful package. The cardboard on the sleeve is thick. The art is bright and vivid...very professional. The vinyl itself almost feels like 180 gram...very thick. Very, very cool. I have never before seen or held a bootleg 45. But here are some peculiar things about this item:

1) You'll notice that this disc is limited to only 50 and this particular one is number 41...and hand-numbered. This was a small project done by someone with some pretty good reproduction capabilities.

2) The cover...if you look close enough, the image is not a picture per se; but rather almost a thermal "drawing" of a picture. Hard to describe...sort of like when you take a photo, run it through photo editing software, and the filter that changes it to look like a sketch. Also, take a look at Neil's drum kit. Am I wrong here, but is the bass head from the latest tour and the other drums are from Time Machine? But the recording is taken from 2004...the R30 Tour. Bizarre!

3) I have NO IDEA what the source is...the sound however, is really pretty good. Whether it was sourced from an mp3 or an audience source, I can't be sure. All I know is that it comes from the Radio City show.

4) Speaking of sound...I threw this on the turntable and listened to The Seeker first. Really cool recording with Ged offering a little monologue. I think this would likely be the only version of The Seeker live to ever grace a turntable. Think about that for a second. Interestingly enough, when I flipped the disc back to Side A hoping to hear the only version of Secret Touch live on vinyl, I was given a bit of a surprise...Dreamline. So, somewhere, somehow whoever put this package together...all the time, energy, effort...and its mislabelled or mispressed, or both.

Thoughts? Comments?

http://i.imgur.com/N8Ydz1M.jpg http://i.imgur.com/WC8eDHW.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/IcQrwWn.jpg http://i.imgur.com/hOdteNf.jpg?1

I'm going to need some help on this one. Not only does it not have a label, its a bootleg, AND its a 45.

OK...so a couple of things. I found this on eBay and to me, it was so obscure, I had to bid on it. Lo and behold, I won. So it arrived yesterday and I have to admit, it is a truly wonderful package. The cardboard on the sleeve is thick. The art is bright and vivid...very professional. The vinyl itself almost feels like 180 gram...very thick. Very, very cool. I have never before seen or held a bootleg 45. But here are some peculiar things about this item:

1) You'll notice that this disc is limited to only 50 and this particular one is number 41...and hand-numbered. This was a small project done by someone with some pretty good reproduction capabilities.

2) The cover...if you look close enough, the image is not a picture per se; but rather almost a thermal "drawing" of a picture. Hard to describe...sort of like when you take a photo, run it through photo editing software, and the filter that changes it to look like a sketch. Also, take a look at Neil's drum kit. Am I wrong here, but is the bass head from the latest tour and the other drums are from Time Machine? But the recording is taken from 2004...the R30 Tour. Bizarre!

3) I have NO IDEA what the source is...the sound however, is really pretty good. Whether it was sourced from an mp3 or an audience source, I can't be sure. All I know is that it comes from the Radio City show.

4) Speaking of sound...I threw this on the turntable and listened to The Seeker first. Really cool recording with Ged offering a little monologue. I think this would likely be the only version of The Seeker live to ever grace a turntable. Think about that for a second. Interestingly enough, when I flipped the disc back to Side A hoping to hear the only version of Secret Touch live on vinyl, I was given a bit of a surprise...Dreamline. So, somewhere, somehow whoever put this package together...all the time, energy, effort...and its mislabelled or mispressed, or both.

Thoughts? Comments?

Interesting. I guess you could say that it's Rush's first 45 bootleg. Hopefully you didn't pay too much for it.

Sailing Into Destiny is one of my favorite vinyl bootlegs. Grace Under Pressure video on the first three sides and some audio from the Exit...Stage Left video on the fourth side. This was invaluable when it first came out because you could record it for the car or play it on your stereo as the audio wasn't commercially released at that point.

As far as holy grail stuff goes. I don't value the Moon stuff as much as some others (I do have the Moon album but not the single)

That's a really hard question to answer. I think about it periodically and can never really settle on anything.

I am looking forward to seeing the Rush singles collections :) There are a lot on Ebay all the time. It would be neat to learn how many were put out, and to know which ones are rare, common, coveted, etc etc.

CD singles?

The first Rush promotional CD single ever pressed was Time Stand Still.

The first CD single, more like a gold video disc, was The Big Money (which included the video) with Marathon and Red Sector A from the Grace Under Pressute Tour video.

Thoughts? Comments?

Interesting. I guess you could say that it's Rush's first 45 bootleg. Hopefully you didn't pay too much for it.

Sailing Into Destiny is one of my favorite vinyl bootlegs. Grace Under Pressure video on the first three sides and some audio from the Exit...Stage Left video on the fourth side. This was invaluable when it first came out because you could record it for the car or play it on your stereo as the audio wasn't commercially released at that point.

As far as holy grail stuff goes. I don't value the Moon stuff as much as some others (I do have the Moon album but not the single)

That's a really hard question to answer. I think about it periodically and can never really settle on anything.

I don't think I necessarily overpaid for it, but it certainly wasn't dirt cheap either.

The Moon single and the Moon album are high on my list of grails, but until the prices come down a bit, I have to hold back until the disposable income frees up for such impulse purchases.

CD singles?

The first Rush promotional CD single ever pressed was Time Stand Still.

The first CD single, more like a gold video disc, was The Big Money (which included the video) with Marathon and Red Sector A from the Grace Under Pressute Tour video.

The vinyl singles are coming. I spent a couple of hours on Saturday taking photos of my 10" and 12" singles. LOTS of photos to post. I'll start posting them in the coming days. I started to photograph my 45s, but I have quite a pile of them and I ran out of time.

I made an attempt to take a photo of the 12" singles that I have to no success. The difference between full albums and 12" singles is that albums naturally have bright, vivid covers. As you seen on some of my previous posts, the result can be a really nice collage. With the singles however, not all come with picture sleeves. As such, I had to take individual shots. The benefit, clearer print and much nicer images.

Many of the 12" singles that were released were issued as promotional items to radio stations and the like. This is why, for the most part, these single versions are a little harder to come by than the 45 (certain 45s are next to impossible to find, but that's for another day). There are some that I'm going to show you that are relatively common. They appear on eBay or in record stores fairly often; while others are a bit harder to find, especially in great condition. My collection of 12" singles stands at roughly 30. I know for a fact, the collection is not complete, but it is fairly comprehensive.

I'll try to post these in chronological order as much as possible. I might get some mixed up, and if I do, sorry. I believe I have already posted the Mercury promos Rush N' Roulette, Everything Your Listeners..., and A Mercury In-Store... in this forum. If you are looking for them and can't find them, let me know...I'll repost. Here we go...enjoy!

The first is a really sharp 12" UK Mercury pressing of Closer To The Heart (1977) backed with Bastille Day, Anthem, and The Temples of Syrinx (Catalog RUSH 12). Apologies for the glare...I was getting some wicked reflections from the sun outside and I didn't have time to rearrange my entire house to get more shade. I just LOVE the dark blue Mercury label.

http://i.imgur.com/eJom5iw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vnQX2Ri.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rrjMohf.jpg

Edited by Kingdirk

Rather than flip and flop between countries, I thought that I would post the UK 12" maxi-singles first and move to the US and Canadian versions afterwards. With that in mind, the second UK 12: maxi to be issued (and in my collection) was RADIO 12 - The Spirit of Radio and The Trees on Side A and Working Man on Side B. This disc is relatively common and as such, can be easily gotten for a fair price. The US version of this disc (MK 125), which will be shown later in the posting is a bit more scarse and has a much cooler picture sleeve IMO.

http://i.imgur.com/fNAYdvl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yR5sRGX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1xv3vCx.jpg

The third in the series of UK-issued 12" maxi-singles happens to be one of my favorite Rush tracks - Vital Signs. What a great collection of tracks. The back of the sleeve follows the same early Mercury deep blue packaging pattern.

VITAL 12 - Side A - Vital Signs/A Passage To Bangkok

Side B - Circumstances/In the Mood

http://i.imgur.com/HUzAwUA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GbBHlOh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gpSviVD.jpg

Edited by Kingdirk
  • Like 1